Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

RiME

Game » consists of 5 releases. Released May 26, 2017

An puzzle-adventure game title set on a mysterious island from Tequila Works.

Has anyone else played through this yet? (Spoilers probably)

quirkwood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By quirkwood

I completed RiME in a single day, and while it is far from perfect I found nearly every minute to be a complete joy. How did you find the ending?Personally I found the ending particularly moving. Perhaps because it's because I am a father, but I was bawling my freaking eyes out to be honest.

gerrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked the ending particularly. I thought the way the game was structured was pretty clever in the end, I hadn't picked up on it until I saw the chapter select screen.

I think they could have been a little bit more explicit towards the end, at least for me the symbolism got a bit lost in a few of the more abstract moments. The way they structured it, you get the reveal at the end which adds pathos and meaning to earlier sections which were without context at the time. like for instance a the big statue of the chair at the start of each level.

I like that as a storytelling conceit, but I think it lost a little something here because the first time you saw those things, it was just a little bemusement and intrigue, it had no real context. and then at the end, on reflection, it makes sense.

I think partly they don't really manage to give you a motivation other than "follow the fox", they could have done better with that. even if it was to give you a context and motivation which they later reversed, or added to.

xenocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By xenocrat

If it had ended when I jumped into the abyss I would have loved this game unreservedly. By that stage I understood the story it wanted to tell, and that moment would have been very impressive as a cold close.

The actual ending was a little too direct for me, somewhat spoiling the lyricism and mystery the game had built until then. Making me watch a parent grieve for a dead child feels like an emotional cheap shot in comparison to the subtlety of what had come before, but I tend to prefer stories that leave plenty of space for my imagination to occupy.

mike_maple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mike_maple

I loved Rime, and although I agree that it doesn't really make sense 'til the end, that just made it easier for me to dive straight back in for another play-through (that and the Sweet Memory acheivement/ending I hadn't known about the first time). Just finished my third play-through. I too think that certain elements could have been explained more - Who was the red cloaked figure that you always saw from a distance - just a representation of his father?; What was the crying child statue in depression supposed to do - if Enu hadn't given in to grief, would it just have opened the way forward, or turned him into something other than a shade (hence the blue, then purple swirling light)? I wonder, when all the shades had ascended, would the island 'reset' itself until another managed to open the mechanism? Did all the shades start out like Enu, but became statues/shades when they gave in? I know I'm not going to get the answers to these questions, but if anyone has any thoughts, I'd be interested in hearing them.

I'd love to see a cut-away diagram of the tower, how it changed during the ending and where Enu was in it. Think I've mostly worked this out myself though.

Did anyone make sense of the Keyholes, the story of the king? It's clear for the first few, but hazy after that.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.