Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

Rock Band 3 spices up the brand with the addition of a keyboard peripheral as well as "Pro Mode," and offers eighty-three new songs to rock out to.

A Clear Loss of Wisdom

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

Edited By JJWeatherman

I haven't been on Giant Bomb much lately. I decided that I needed to take a little break since I've basically been using this site every day for a very long time. Well, I made it several days, but the Quick Looks piled up and I've decided to return and catch up on everything. Oh Giant Bomb, how you've been missed.

I had two of my wisdom teeth pulled last Monday morning. That was an experience. My lower left tooth was impacted, which means it was almost completely sideways and pushing against my other teeth. It definitely needed to be pulled, which would make my top wisdom tooth useless. Well, it just so happens that that top tooth had a cavity, so I was more than happy to get rid of that one too. My right side's wisdom teeth are fine and my dentist thinks that I should be able to keep them forever, provided I keep them clean. So anyways, I'm a big wussy and decided I wanted to be knocked the eff out while they removed the teeth. It worked out really well as I don't remember much of anything after the dentist saying "are you starting to feel that medicine?". When the extractions were over, I was pretty slow to become fully aware of my surroundings. I'm sure this lead to some funny moments, only a couple of which I can recall. I had a pretty nice nurse there helping me throughout the appointment. After I started to wake up, she said something along the lines of "You can go home and play Black Ops now.". At that point I barely remember yelling out "No! I play Rock Band!". That was later confirmed to have happened by my mom who was also in the room. Kind of embarrassing; I hope that I didn't say anything that's even more embarrassing. I also remember being walked out of the room and exiting through the back door. At that point I remember saying "Oh we're going this way?". The nurse half-jokingly explained that they didn't want to frighten the other patients by having me walk out the front. I thought that was pretty funny. 

I was at home, wisdom teeth removed. What do I do? That's right: Stop using Giant Bomb and play the Endless Setlist 3 on Rock Band 3. There is a clear loss of wisdom at play here. These are two things that I would normally have a very tough time carrying out. I was planning on doing the Endless Setlist 3 at some point, but it's funny that I finally pulled the trigger not long after having my wisdom teeth removed. The ES3 (for short) takes god-damned forever. You smart fellows probably already knew that, but even knowing that there are 83 songs to play through, it seemed like a really, REALLY long time when actually carrying it out. I decided to go through it on Guitar since I was also working towards the HOPO-cidal Maniac achievement. Still a no-go on that one, but I'd bet that I'm super close. I'm actually about to go check that out right now, and maybe play a bit more in pursuit of it if I deem myself close enough.  

There's more that I could talk about (like sports!) but I'll save those things for my future blogging ventures. I'm glad to be back, and god dammit that Multimedia Celebrity Poker QL was phenomenal.

<3 
    --JJWeatherman

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JJWeatherman

I haven't been on Giant Bomb much lately. I decided that I needed to take a little break since I've basically been using this site every day for a very long time. Well, I made it several days, but the Quick Looks piled up and I've decided to return and catch up on everything. Oh Giant Bomb, how you've been missed.

I had two of my wisdom teeth pulled last Monday morning. That was an experience. My lower left tooth was impacted, which means it was almost completely sideways and pushing against my other teeth. It definitely needed to be pulled, which would make my top wisdom tooth useless. Well, it just so happens that that top tooth had a cavity, so I was more than happy to get rid of that one too. My right side's wisdom teeth are fine and my dentist thinks that I should be able to keep them forever, provided I keep them clean. So anyways, I'm a big wussy and decided I wanted to be knocked the eff out while they removed the teeth. It worked out really well as I don't remember much of anything after the dentist saying "are you starting to feel that medicine?". When the extractions were over, I was pretty slow to become fully aware of my surroundings. I'm sure this lead to some funny moments, only a couple of which I can recall. I had a pretty nice nurse there helping me throughout the appointment. After I started to wake up, she said something along the lines of "You can go home and play Black Ops now.". At that point I barely remember yelling out "No! I play Rock Band!". That was later confirmed to have happened by my mom who was also in the room. Kind of embarrassing; I hope that I didn't say anything that's even more embarrassing. I also remember being walked out of the room and exiting through the back door. At that point I remember saying "Oh we're going this way?". The nurse half-jokingly explained that they didn't want to frighten the other patients by having me walk out the front. I thought that was pretty funny. 

I was at home, wisdom teeth removed. What do I do? That's right: Stop using Giant Bomb and play the Endless Setlist 3 on Rock Band 3. There is a clear loss of wisdom at play here. These are two things that I would normally have a very tough time carrying out. I was planning on doing the Endless Setlist 3 at some point, but it's funny that I finally pulled the trigger not long after having my wisdom teeth removed. The ES3 (for short) takes god-damned forever. You smart fellows probably already knew that, but even knowing that there are 83 songs to play through, it seemed like a really, REALLY long time when actually carrying it out. I decided to go through it on Guitar since I was also working towards the HOPO-cidal Maniac achievement. Still a no-go on that one, but I'd bet that I'm super close. I'm actually about to go check that out right now, and maybe play a bit more in pursuit of it if I deem myself close enough.  

There's more that I could talk about (like sports!) but I'll save those things for my future blogging ventures. I'm glad to be back, and god dammit that Multimedia Celebrity Poker QL was phenomenal.

<3 
    --JJWeatherman

Malakhii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Malakhii

I'm currently dealing with the pain of wisdom teeth, so I understand the ordeal you've been through. It's a real pain in the neck (or maybe a few inches up)

I played through the Rock Band 1 endless setlist at one point with a friend of mine, and it was a damn adventure. I don't know if I have the reserves to go through 3's version though, plus my RB skills have eroded. I guess that's due to to the normal rock star lifestyle of partying too much, and selling out. I no longer care about the music and I am lost in an endless abyss of sadness and desperation. All I do is try to reignite the passion of my glory days, and star in a reality show on VH-1..... 

Welcome Back!

kyelb22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By kyelb22

I had my wisdom teeth pulled back in July. Painkillers didn't do shit. Worst pain I've ever felt in my life. My face swelled up for a couple weeks and I couldn't eat anything worth shit. I'm so glad that's behind me now.

ssj4raditz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By ssj4raditz

I had a couple of my wisdom teeth pulled earlier this year, so I feel your pain, bud. I was only numbed for mine, and I hope to never have to go through that again. But, it was great having my blood splattered on the doc's glasses as he tried to get the gnarled roots of one of my teeth out. Too bad I couldn't keep that one, it would've been cool to show off.

RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By RobotHamster

<3

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @Kyelb22 said:
    "I had my wisdom teeth pulled back in July. Painkillers didn't do shit. Worst pain I've ever felt in my life. My face swelled up for a couple weeks and I couldn't eat anything worth shit. I'm so glad that's behind me now. "

My painkillers also did nothing when I had my wisdom teeth pulled, I was extremely pissed off.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @PeasantAbuse said:
    " @Kyelb22 said:
    "I had my wisdom teeth pulled back in July. Painkillers didn't do shit. Worst pain I've ever felt in my life. My face swelled up for a couple weeks and I couldn't eat anything worth shit. I'm so glad that's behind me now. "
    My painkillers also did nothing when I had my wisdom teeth pulled, I was extremely pissed off. "
    Wow, really? Do you remember what they gave you? I actually got prescribed two different ones: Naproxen and Oxycodone. Other than mild discomfort, I haven't felt a whole lot. 
    benjaebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By benjaebe

Getting my wisdom teeth removed was actually pretty easy. I woke up the day after feeling pretty normal and played straight through Half-Life 2 and Episode 1. Ate a box of Velveeta macaroni and cheese a day for nearly a week and was fine.

Props on getting endless setlist 3 though. I can imagine that's a pain. Singing my way through RB2's bladder of steel achievement was more than enough to dissuade me from doing that again.

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By MetalGearSunny

I had my wisdom teeth cemented for my braces, and man, that was fun.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11  Edited By Red12b

Multimedia Celebrity Poker QL was phenomenal.     

yes it was.  

@dudeglove said:

" I had a wisdom tooth taken out earlier this year. Went with local. Cue 90 minutes of me holding my mouth open while a dude with pliers broke an impacted tooth into five separate pieces. Ow. "

I had one of my molars out last year 
    I went to the hospital dentist because I was in so much pain, my whole outer tooth was shattered, showing the dentine man that hurt like a motherfucker, because the was nothing to grip to, I was in there for around 2 hours whilst they fucked my mouth...or at least it felt that way,  

now I need to check my wisdom teeth...man fuck this shit 

PeasantAbuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PeasantAbuse
    @JJWeatherman:
    I got Vicodin.  I think the problem was that they didn't use enough anesthesia or something.  When I woke up my mouth was numb, but I wasn't loopy or anything.  I woke up and they hadn't even taken me out of the chair yet.  Then while my mom was driving me to our pharmacy to get the vicodin (only about a ten minute drive from the place I got my teeth pulled), the pain started, worst I've ever felt.  After that, the Vicodin didn't really do much.
    ReyGitano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By ReyGitano

Dude, don't feel bad about being knocked out. Only crazy people, like my dad, would pass that up when getting teeth pulled. 
    I can't even imagine.

FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FunExplosions

Had my 5 wisdom teeth pulled last summer. Yes, all 5. I feel for you. Mine weren't really impacted, but I gots me a little boy's jaw that couldn't handle 'em. Oh god, the pain. The pain.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Claude

I remember watching the HBO series John Adams. Man, those people had some serious teeth problems. They also brushed their teeth with this green shit, I think it was mint or something. I'm just thankful I live in this day and age.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16  Edited By rjaylee
    @JJWeatherman:  That sucks, about the wisdom teeth. I had to get laughing gas when I had a filling that fell out that needed fixing. A giant needle was involved at some point to freeze my gums too, I still remember the crunching sound of the needle touching my teeth. Yeeesh.

Anyways, the 7-8 hours of RB3's endless setlist isn't too bad. I think RB2's was harder simply because you couldn't switch difficulty on the fly, and if you were an achievement whore (like me) and you wanted the achievement for not pausing or failing a song, then you've got way more to worry about. I remember needing to take a piss really bad somewhere about 70-75 songs in, only having enough time from where you finish a song, to when the next one starts up. It was just mean and awful.
    JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @PeasantAbuse said:
    " @JJWeatherman: I got Vicodin.  I think the problem was that they didn't use enough anesthesia or something.  When I woke up my mouth was numb, but I wasn't loopy or anything.  I woke up and they hadn't even taken me out of the chair yet.  Then while my mom was driving me to our pharmacy to get the vicodin (only about a ten minute drive from the place I got my teeth pulled), the pain started, worst I've ever felt.  After that, the Vicodin didn't really do much. "
    Ah. I was numb for a few hours after I got home, so by the time it wore off, I was drugged up. 

@heatDrive88: Yeah the RB2 ESL was brutal. The Steel Bladder was such a hassle. That achievement made me do the ESL over again.  :( 

Update: I now have the HOPO-cidal Maniac achievement! Woo! The only achievements I have left (that are possible) are the pro-keys and pro-drums trainers. Those will be tough.
    EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#18  Edited By EpicSteve

When I lost my wisdom teeth, I played XBLA Uno for a week straight.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By rjaylee
    @JJWeatherman: If you fail a song, do you lose all the HOPO's you've accumulated in that song for the achievement? I figured I'd eventually just rotate between Free Bird, Green Grass and High Tides, Flirtin' WIth Disaster, and Love Spreads, but I may sometimes fail on Free Bird or Green Grass and High Tides.
    Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Bigandtasty

I had 4 wisdom teeth removed and yeah I was also mentally messed up afterwards. I kept saying "O'm not sleeping. I'm not acting weird. I'm fine." when in fact I was intermittently falling asleep and generally acting weird.

Nothing on the level of "NO I PLAY ROCK BAND" though ;)

Anyway, I had just bought WoW, so I used it (and vicodin) to comfort myself, which ended up being both a good and a bad thing.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By JJWeatherman
    @heatDrive88 said:
    " @JJWeatherman: If you fail a song, do you lose all the HOPO's you've accumulated in that song for the achievement? I figured I'd eventually just rotate between Free Bird, Green Grass and High Tides, Flirtin' WIth Disaster, and Love Spreads, but I may sometimes fail on Free Bird or Green Grass and High Tides. "
    What I did was turn No Fail mode on. That way you can just concentrate on getting as many HOPOs as possible. When I checked my progress earlier today, I had about 10,000 to go, but I went for it anyways. If you want about 5,000 a pop this is the setlist that I played... twice: 

1. Green Grass
    2. Something Bigger, Something Brighter
    3. Free Bird
    4. Green Grass

I was getting almost exactly 5,000 doing that. There's probably a faster way, but I thought those songs were OK and it provided at least some variety (really didn't want to play one song over and over). 

I actually had a few HOPOs left over after doing that setlist twice, and got the achievement paying Alive (Drop In The Park) by Pearl Jam, which was pretty cool.
    Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Jambones

Good to have you back, and sorry to hear you had trouble with your teeth. I've a similar problem at the moment.  

Also, "No! I play Rock Band." Made my day. Thank you, sir.

melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By melcene

Belated Welcome Back! 

I don't think I've done an ES since RB1.  I also can't recall if I ever got the Bladder of Steel achievement.  Unfortunately, RB has mostly become a social thing for us at home.  We rarely play anymore unless it's with company.  Doesn't help that I started playing WoW again either.   I'm just glad though, that for the ES's, vocalists have a fairly easier time because we usually have time during intros and outros to go pee :p

Also, the Black Ops/RB3 comment was awesome. 

I've had 2 wisdom teeth and 4 molars pulled but never been put under.  (Those teeth needed work, but also needed to be pulled because apparently there wasn't enough room in my mouth for all my teeth if I were to get braces (which I expect to do this coming year.) 

My husband got put under for some extractions a couple years ago.  That was pretty funny.  He was about as out of it as you were.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.