Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band 3

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 26, 2010

Rock Band 3 spices up the brand with the addition of a keyboard peripheral as well as "Pro Mode," and offers eighty-three new songs to rock out to.

Rock Band 3's Stringed Fender Guitar Costs $280, Releases In March

BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BradNicholson

The Mad Catz Rock Band 3 Pro Guitar is great because it has a quadrillion buttons, but real men who want the "Pro" experience will opt for the stringed, Rock Band 3 Fender guitar, which was revealed earlier during this E3 and not really talked about again… until yesterday afternoon, that is. Fender has announced that the guitar will be available on March 1, 2011, and according to the guitar's custom page, it will hit retail at an astounding $279.99 bones. What's the Pro experience worth to you again?

According to the website, the Squier by Fender Stratocaster Guitar and Controller has been "created for musicians and gamers alike" and will "rock" both worlds respectively, whether you decide to plug it into an amp or, say, your Xbox 360. So, in other words, it's authentic--minus that whole position-sensing fingerboard on the neck and the buttons on the body that makes the videogame play possible. 

No Caption Provided

If for whatever reason this $280 videogame guitar is still something you're interested in, know that you can begin pre-ordering the pretend-ish shredder starting January 1, 2011. It's not stated, but I presume this pre-ordering will be done through the aforementioned Fender website.
    BradNicholson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By BradNicholson

The Mad Catz Rock Band 3 Pro Guitar is great because it has a quadrillion buttons, but real men who want the "Pro" experience will opt for the stringed, Rock Band 3 Fender guitar, which was revealed earlier during this E3 and not really talked about again… until yesterday afternoon, that is. Fender has announced that the guitar will be available on March 1, 2011, and according to the guitar's custom page, it will hit retail at an astounding $279.99 bones. What's the Pro experience worth to you again?

According to the website, the Squier by Fender Stratocaster Guitar and Controller has been "created for musicians and gamers alike" and will "rock" both worlds respectively, whether you decide to plug it into an amp or, say, your Xbox 360. So, in other words, it's authentic--minus that whole position-sensing fingerboard on the neck and the buttons on the body that makes the videogame play possible. 

No Caption Provided

If for whatever reason this $280 videogame guitar is still something you're interested in, know that you can begin pre-ordering the pretend-ish shredder starting January 1, 2011. It's not stated, but I presume this pre-ordering will be done through the aforementioned Fender website.
    Skywarpgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By Skywarpgold

A good regular guitar runs about $300 anyway, so that's not too bad of a deal.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By louiedog

It's more expensive than I was hoping for, but I assume for that price it's well made and better than the reports I've been hearing about the Power Gig axe.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#4  Edited By JJWeatherman

Wow-zuh! 

I was actually expecting the price to come in around there, but reading it makes me realize how much it is. Sheesh.

DrIntrigue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DrIntrigue

Finally a price and a date!

Pretty much the price I was expecting.  Though March 1st is pretty far off...

litrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By litrock

Hrm, I was thinking about buying a Squire anyway and trying to learn guitar with my tax rebate next year. So ... this could work out really nicely. Probably sold. Until then, pro keys are keeping me busy.

9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By 9cupsoftea
    @Skywarpgold said:
    " A good regular guitar runs about $300 anyway, so that's not too bad of a deal. "
    A squire strat runs about $150, with a really good squire tele being $200. That pricing is kinda ridiculous.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By toowalrus

I just don't want to play a guitar upside-down. I really don't give a shit if Jimi Hendrix did it- I don't want too.

hagridore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

#9  Edited By hagridore

Thought it would be way worse. Excitement tempered by how bad I am presently at pro keys.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Azteck

Huh.. looks like I won't be playing Pro-mode. I just can't feel okay with that kind of purchase.

Skywarpgold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#11  Edited By Skywarpgold
    @9cupsoftea said:
    " @Skywarpgold said:
    " A good regular guitar runs about $300 anyway, so that's not too bad of a deal. "
    A squire strat runs about $150, with a really good squire tele being $200. That pricing is kinda ridiculous. "
    But that's for a starter guitar.  I was talking about a regular nice guitar ;-)
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By 234r2we232
    @9cupsoftea said:
    " @Skywarpgold said:
    A squire strat runs about $150, with a really good squire tele being $200. That pricing is kinda ridiculous. "
    Not really ridiculous at all.

A Squier Stratocaster guitar typically retails at around the $200 mark in most places, and a Squier Telecaster would be $350-400. And those guitars won't work with RB3. So, hey, there you go. You pay $180 for the Squier, and then $100 for a Rock Band guitar.

@BradNicholson said:
    " If for whatever reason this $280 videogame guitar is still something you're interested in"
    The Mustang is $280? That would be ridiculous.
    MaddogMonty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By MaddogMonty
    @DrIntrigue said:

" Finally a price and a date!  Pretty much the price I was expecting.  Though March 1st is pretty far off... "

Definitely. It sucks having to wait four months from the launch of the game. I know they have deadlines to meet but still it would have been awesome to have the guitar with the game. 
    melcene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By melcene
    @JJWeatherman: @DrIntrigue:   Like both of you I pretty much expected that price, but I thought I had already heard something about it.  Also thought I had already heard something about next year for the guitar. 

Honestly though, if they were smart they would have found a way to release it for the holidays.  I understand that they couldn't for some reason, but they would have done better with sales if they did.
    9cupsoftea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By 9cupsoftea
    @sofacitysweetheart said:

" @9cupsoftea said:

" @Skywarpgold said:
    Not really ridiculous at all.

A Squier Stratocaster guitar typically retails at around the $200 mark in most places, and a Squier Telecaster would be $350-400. And those guitars won't work with RB3. So, hey, there you go. You pay $180 for the Squier, and then $100 for a Rock Band guitar.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-Affinity-Series-Telecaster-Special-Electric-Guitar?sku=515115     

Under $200, and pretty good guitars, genuinely sound and feel like teles. They might not work with rock band, but they will have better necks and electronics as a result I'd imagine.
    deadmoscow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By deadmoscow

Your average Fender Squier guitar rarely costs more than $150 or so...just saying, you can certainly learn to play guitar on this but you'll certainly want to upgrade a few years down the road. Squiers are historically not very good guitars

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By 234r2we232
    @9cupsoftea: Yes. I hear those Squire guitars are pretty good. Unlike those awful Squiers :/
    Praab_NZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Praab_NZ

Considering it's a guitar with extra tech slapped on it, which is pretty advanced as far as I can tell, this seems like a fine price. I mean its got midi out as well, this thing isnt simple to manufacture.

vigorousjammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 41

#19  Edited By vigorousjammer

I'd buy that for a dollar!
    or... 280, as it seems...

SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SavageM2

I think I'm going to just go ahead and get that in March.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By shirogane

I'll just wait for this so called tech that lets us use real instruments... 

Wait, why would i do that?
    Piranesi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#22  Edited By Piranesi

A fair price for a Squire with the bonus that with the MIDI controller you also have a decent set up for direct recording. Don't think I can justify getting another guitar though (real or fake) ... apart from the key-tar but that doesn't count ;)
    Xeridae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Xeridae

I only have 2 things to say.

1. Anyone trying to play real music with this guitar outside of the game will immediately be a tool.
    2. For the price you could have bought a pretty decent guitar that I'm positive will sound a hundred times better than this Fender.

I really wish this whole genre would die so that people might actually learn to play real instruments. Obviously the interest is there. Even though they are trying to make it more like the real thing it never will be because they are controlling what you play. You can't feel the music this way imo.

Arnemetia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Arnemetia

Eh, I'd rather buy a used Ibanez from Guitar Center for the same amount and probably get a lot more enjoyment out of it. =\

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By 234r2we232
    @Arnemetia said:
    " Eh, I'd rather buy a used Ibanez from Guitar Center for the same amount and probably get a lot more enjoyment out of it. =\ "
    Ibanez make pretty good fake Jackson guitars. Good luck with that :)
    nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#26  Edited By nintendoeats

This was previously listed on the RB website as 160 bucks... 

I was already struggleing with that price, now I'm going crazy. I PLAY guitar. I want to use a real guitar for this, take advantage of thoser callises (or however you spell that). I am hella bumed. 

EDIT: What I really want is something that will let me use my actual guitars. I don't mind tuning after every song if it means I have to spend 50 bucks instead of a gazillion. 

lukeissxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By lukeissxc
    @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " @Arnemetia said:
    " Eh, I'd rather buy a used Ibanez from Guitar Center for the same amount and probably get a lot more enjoyment out of it. =\ "
    Ibanez make pretty good fake Jackson guitars. Good luck with that :) "
    Yeah cause Jackson totally released the first 7string guitar, and 8string guitar. Also Ibanez happens to offer hollow body electric guitars, acoustic guitars, and tons of great electronics. Yes clearly Ibanez are fake Jackson guitars.
    234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By 234r2we232
    @lukeissxc said:
    " @sofacitysweetheart said:
    " @Arnemetia said:
    Ibanez make pretty good fake Jackson guitars. Good luck with that :) "
    Yeah cause Jackson totally released the first 7string guitar, and 8string guitar. Also Ibanez happens to offer hollow body electric guitars, acoustic guitars, and tons of great electronics. Yes clearly Ibanez are fake Jackson guitars. "
    Apparently, Ibanez' PR people have nothing better to do these days than invade video game message boards :)
    xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By xyzygy

Squiers are the shittiest guitars. If they were going to go with a lower-tier brand, they should have picked Epiphone.

vogon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By vogon
    @Xeridae said:

"1. Anyone trying to play real music with this guitar outside of the game will immediately be a tool. 

I really wish this whole genre would die so that people might actually learn to play real instruments. Obviously the interest is there. Even though they are trying to make it more like the real thing it never will be because they are controlling what you play. You can't feel the music this way imo. "

you can't have it both ways.  you can't say "I really wish this whole genre would die so that people might actually learn to play real instruments", and then -- when people put millions of dollars and years of their lives on the line to release real instruments and a way to help you learn to play them -- say that people who use those real instruments are tools.

if the person is playing as well as you, feeling the music and not using a rhythm game, and they came up using this guitar, they're every bit as good a musician as you.  just because they got into guitar by playing a game doesn't make them inferior.  you don't get to say "people should stop playing games and do something real", and then when people release a game that teaches you how to do something real, say "well it's still a game, f that." 

at the same time, totally agreed, you'd look ridiculous taking this thing up on stage -- if, that is, anybody noticed that you didn't have the standard knobs on your looks-basically-like-a-stratocaster.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.