Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rock Band

Franchise »

The Rock Band franchise introduced the first rhythm game to incorporate drums and vocals in addition to guitar and bass instruments, creating a virtual band. It was also the first franchise to include genre staples such as Band World Tour, and character customization.

Green Day Coming to Rock Band

• 57 results
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By Ryan  Staff
    If you want to make me feel 16, just play this album.
    Following Billie Joe Armstrong's mention of Green Day's involvement in something Rock Band-related during an interview on LA radio station KROQ on Monday, and some coy on-camera deflection by Harmonix's John Drake, today we get official confirmation that, yes, Green Day songs are coming to Rock Band. The press release, which you can read in its entirety below, only states that a three-pack of Green Day songs from the band's latest album, 21st Century Breakdown, would be available for download as of July 7th. I'm sure 21 Guns, Know Your Enemy, and East Jesus Nowhere are fine bits of Berkeley-based pop-punk, but what's most interesting about this press release to me is the statement that "Additional Green Day songs and projects will be announced at a later date." Whether that just means that you'll be able to buy the whole Dookie album or there's a Rock Band: Green Day down the road, though, is entirely up for speculation. Still, it's fun to speculate!

MTV GAMES, HARMONIX AND WARNER BROS. / REPRISE RECORDS PARTNER WITH GREEN DAY TO BRING THEIR MUSIC EXCLUSIVELY TO ROCK BAND®

First Green Day DLC Three Pack To Include 21 Guns, Know Your Enemy, East Jesus Nowhere From 21st Century Breakdown on July 7th

New York, NY – June 11, 2009 - MTV Games’ Harmonix Music Systems, a part of Viacom’s MTV Networks (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), the leading developer of music-based games, announced an extraordinary partnership with Warner Bros. Records and Green Day today to bring the music of multi-platinum, Grammy® Award winning Green Day, exclusively to Rock Band ®. Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, and Tré Cool are the latest artists to bring songs from their impressive catalogue of hits to MTV’s genre defining, multi-million selling Rock Band® music video game platform that allows music fans and gamers to interact with and discover music like never before by choosing guitar, drums, vocals, or bass to start a band and rock the world. 

The first selection of Green Day songs to arrive on Rock Band as downloadable content will be a three-pack of songs from their latest release, 21st Century Breakdown on July 7th including: 21 Guns, Know Your Enemy, East Jesus Nowhere. Additional Green Day songs and projects will be announced at a later date. 

“Green Day not only rock hard, but are also epic storytellers,” said Van Toffler, President, MTV Networks, Music, LOGO and Film. “Their message and their music have been the voice and sound of this generation. The addition of Green Day is a huge victory for MTV and our audience, and marks another landmark in our efforts to bring the best artists to Rock Band.” 

"We are excited to be working with MTV and Harmonix,” said Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong. “They are leaders and visionaries in the world of music and video games, and Rock Band is a really cool way for fans of all ages to experience our music.”

"Green Day's epic music and incredible live performances put them in a class by themselves. Bringing Green Day and Rock Band together unites two extremely powerful forces to create a great music game experience for their fans," said Tom Whalley, Chairman/CEO, Warner Bros. Records. "This unique deal with MTV creates a true partnership with Green Day, Reprise and Harmonix as we embark upon the next great era of Green Day."

“It’s awesome that one of greatest bands on earth is coming to the Rock Band platform,” said Paul DeGooyer, SVP, Electronic Games and Music, MTV. “Green Day is a longtime favorite of the Harmonix team, and we’re very excited to provide a new way for their fans to connect with them, while at the same time helping put this incredible music in front of a whole new audience.” 

Selling nearly 50 million records worldwide, Green Day has won critical acclaim and numerous accolades including three Grammy® Awards for Best Alternative Album for Dookie, Best Rock Album for American Idiot, and Record of the Year for their smash hit "Boulevard of Broken Dreams". Green Day recently released their eighth studio album, 21st Century Breakdown, on Warner Music Group’s Reprise Records. The album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Top 200 chart, as well as on the Rock, Active Rock, and Alternative charts, fueled by the Alternative radio No. 1 single “Know Your Enemy.” 21st Century Breakdown, which Rolling Stone has called “a rock opera in which the rock always comes first,” is also a hit around the world topping the charts in 24 countries including the UK, Canada, and Japan. 

Green Day - vocalist/guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong, bassist Mike Dirnt, and drummer Tré Cool - were three kids from working-class backgrounds who came of age in the underground punk scene in Berkeley, California. Even though they had released two records prior (1039 / Smooth Out Slappy Hours and Kerplunk), they announced their arrival with 1994's Dookie, a blast of punk-pop that spoke to bored teenagers everywhere. The album eventually sold 15 million copies worldwide, earned the band their first Grammy Award and inspired a raft of imitators. Over the years, Green Day continued to top the charts with their subsequent studio albums Insomniac, Nimrod, and Warning while entertaining millions of fans with their frenetic live shows. But it was their landmark 2004 album American Idiot that launched Green Day into the stratosphere. An artistic leap forward, American Idiot is a punk rock opera and sarcastic middle-finger salute to the Administration that captured the cultural and political landscape at that time. "Jesus of Suburbia" set the tone by telling a tale of choosing between self-destruction and redemption that resonated with listeners of all ages, nationalities, and political persuasions. American Idiot debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard chart and went on to sell more than five million copies in the U.S. and 12 million worldwide. It spawned five hit singles, earned seven Grammy nominations (winning two including Rock Album of the Year) and raised the bar for modern rock and roll. 

Originally launched on November 20, 2007, Rock Band is the ground-breaking, billion dollar selling franchise and music video game leader in paid song sales (over 45 million paid individual songs) and downloadable content with more than 700 tracks available to date via disc and download purchase (complete list of tracks at www.rockband.com/music). Rock Band and Rock Band 2 are available for Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3 system, PlayStation 2 system and Wii.

For more information on Green Day, please visit www.greenday.com and www.warnerbrosrecords.com.

For more information on Rock Band and Rock Band 2, please visit www.rockband.com.
    Ryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Ryan  Staff
    Following Billie Joe Armstrong's mention of Green Day's involvement in something Rock Band-related during an interview on LA radio station KROQ on Monday, and some coy on-camera deflection by Harmonix's John Drake, today we get official confirmation that, yes, Green Day songs are coming to Rock Band. The press release, which you can read in its entirety below, only states that a three-pack of Green Day songs from the band's latest album, 21st Century Breakdown, would be available for download as of July 7th. I'm sure 21 Guns, Know Your Enemy, and East Jesus Nowhere are fine bits of Berkeley-based pop-punk, but what's most interesting about this press release to me is the statement that "Additional Green Day songs and projects will be announced at a later date." Whether that just means that you'll be able to buy the whole Dookie album or there's a Rock Band: Green Day down the road, though, is entirely up for speculation. Still, it's fun to speculate!

MTV GAMES, HARMONIX AND WARNER BROS. / REPRISE RECORDS PARTNER WITH GREEN DAY TO BRING THEIR MUSIC EXCLUSIVELY TO ROCK BAND®

First Green Day DLC Three Pack To Include 21 Guns, Know Your Enemy, East Jesus Nowhere From 21st Century Breakdown on July 7th

New York, NY – June 11, 2009 - MTV Games’ Harmonix Music Systems, a part of Viacom’s MTV Networks (NYSE: VIA, VIA.B), the leading developer of music-based games, announced an extraordinary partnership with Warner Bros. Records and Green Day today to bring the music of multi-platinum, Grammy® Award winning Green Day, exclusively to Rock Band ®. Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong, Mike Dirnt, and Tré Cool are the latest artists to bring songs from their impressive catalogue of hits to MTV’s genre defining, multi-million selling Rock Band® music video game platform that allows music fans and gamers to interact with and discover music like never before by choosing guitar, drums, vocals, or bass to start a band and rock the world. 

The first selection of Green Day songs to arrive on Rock Band as downloadable content will be a three-pack of songs from their latest release, 21st Century Breakdown on July 7th including: 21 Guns, Know Your Enemy, East Jesus Nowhere. Additional Green Day songs and projects will be announced at a later date. 

“Green Day not only rock hard, but are also epic storytellers,” said Van Toffler, President, MTV Networks, Music, LOGO and Film. “Their message and their music have been the voice and sound of this generation. The addition of Green Day is a huge victory for MTV and our audience, and marks another landmark in our efforts to bring the best artists to Rock Band.” 

"We are excited to be working with MTV and Harmonix,” said Green Day’s Billie Joe Armstrong. “They are leaders and visionaries in the world of music and video games, and Rock Band is a really cool way for fans of all ages to experience our music.”

"Green Day's epic music and incredible live performances put them in a class by themselves. Bringing Green Day and Rock Band together unites two extremely powerful forces to create a great music game experience for their fans," said Tom Whalley, Chairman/CEO, Warner Bros. Records. "This unique deal with MTV creates a true partnership with Green Day, Reprise and Harmonix as we embark upon the next great era of Green Day."

“It’s awesome that one of greatest bands on earth is coming to the Rock Band platform,” said Paul DeGooyer, SVP, Electronic Games and Music, MTV. “Green Day is a longtime favorite of the Harmonix team, and we’re very excited to provide a new way for their fans to connect with them, while at the same time helping put this incredible music in front of a whole new audience.” 

Selling nearly 50 million records worldwide, Green Day has won critical acclaim and numerous accolades including three Grammy® Awards for Best Alternative Album for Dookie, Best Rock Album for American Idiot, and Record of the Year for their smash hit "Boulevard of Broken Dreams". Green Day recently released their eighth studio album, 21st Century Breakdown, on Warner Music Group’s Reprise Records. The album debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard Top 200 chart, as well as on the Rock, Active Rock, and Alternative charts, fueled by the Alternative radio No. 1 single “Know Your Enemy.” 21st Century Breakdown, which Rolling Stone has called “a rock opera in which the rock always comes first,” is also a hit around the world topping the charts in 24 countries including the UK, Canada, and Japan. 

Green Day - vocalist/guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong, bassist Mike Dirnt, and drummer Tré Cool - were three kids from working-class backgrounds who came of age in the underground punk scene in Berkeley, California. Even though they had released two records prior (1039 / Smooth Out Slappy Hours and Kerplunk), they announced their arrival with 1994's Dookie, a blast of punk-pop that spoke to bored teenagers everywhere. The album eventually sold 15 million copies worldwide, earned the band their first Grammy Award and inspired a raft of imitators. Over the years, Green Day continued to top the charts with their subsequent studio albums Insomniac, Nimrod, and Warning while entertaining millions of fans with their frenetic live shows. But it was their landmark 2004 album American Idiot that launched Green Day into the stratosphere. An artistic leap forward, American Idiot is a punk rock opera and sarcastic middle-finger salute to the Administration that captured the cultural and political landscape at that time. "Jesus of Suburbia" set the tone by telling a tale of choosing between self-destruction and redemption that resonated with listeners of all ages, nationalities, and political persuasions. American Idiot debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard chart and went on to sell more than five million copies in the U.S. and 12 million worldwide. It spawned five hit singles, earned seven Grammy nominations (winning two including Rock Album of the Year) and raised the bar for modern rock and roll. 

Originally launched on November 20, 2007, Rock Band is the ground-breaking, billion dollar selling franchise and music video game leader in paid song sales (over 45 million paid individual songs) and downloadable content with more than 700 tracks available to date via disc and download purchase (complete list of tracks at www.rockband.com/music). Rock Band and Rock Band 2 are available for Xbox 360, PLAYSTATION 3 system, PlayStation 2 system and Wii.

For more information on Green Day, please visit www.greenday.com and www.warnerbrosrecords.com.

For more information on Rock Band and Rock Band 2, please visit www.rockband.com.
    tofford

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By tofford

The new stuff doesnt interest me but if the old stuff ends up for download might be tempted for a bit of nostalgia for my 14 year old self haha.

Redfield

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Redfield

Holy shit I want this bad!

XaiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By XaiaX

Basket Case.

Want.

Green Day will be mad fun on the drums.
    dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5  Edited By dsplayer1010
    @TomA said:
    " BOOOO!!!!!!! GREEN DAY IS GAY!!!!! "
    Why is it that whenever Green Day comes up, there are people like you saying shit like that?
    phlegms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By phlegms

Ewww, I'll stick to The Beatles thank you very much.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

OMG YES THIS IS WHAT I HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!!111!111

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheGreatGuero

I certainly think it would be really stupid for them to get their own full-on Rock Band game. You don't follow up The Beatles with bands like Green Day. No offense to them, I don't hate them and think they've had some good songs, but it would be way too big of a downgrade and I think even Green Day themselves couldn't disagree with that. If they're going for a full band follow-up, I think it's gotta be with something like The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, or maybe even The Who or Pink Floyd.

Anyway, if it's just a whole album like Dookie, I think that's a great idea. Or maybe it'll be something along the lines of the AC/DC Live Rock Band game, which I think would be alright.

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo

I'd rather have good music. No buy!

Gump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Gump

I want to play the bachirop!
    I mean, Dookie is one of the best music albums ever.

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Kyle

How is this news?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dsplayer1010 said:
    "
    @TomA said:
    " BOOOO!!!!!!! GREEN DAY IS GAY!!!!! "
    Why is it that whenever Green Day comes up, there are people like you saying shit like that?
    "
    Did you look at the band, they do look a little homosexual, just saying.
    William

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By William

WHY?!?!?!!

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By VWGTI

I won't buy their new stuff.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#15  Edited By Phished0ne

Dont care about these songs,  would be interested in the Dookie album, and if it turns out they are making a Rock Band: Green Day game..i will call them Acti-Monix

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Jensonb

Now I need to go buy a copy of Rock Band 2 (You win Navarro...You win). Oh well, at least I already have a Band pack from GH:WT.

Still, I'm surprised they didn't put 21st Century Breakdown itself in the pack...It's easily the best song on the album.
    Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By Red

I hate Greenday, and I find the vast majority of their songs to just be the same thing over and over again, but "Know Your Enemy" would be pretty fun to play in Rock Band.

Avatar image for platypusplatoon
    PlatypusPlatoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By PlatypusPlatoon

About. Goddamn. Time.

Can we get some of their older stuff, though?

bretthancock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By bretthancock

Old stuff, new stuff, it's all good.  Some very constructive criticism of Green Day going on in these comments I see.

StarwindX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#20  Edited By StarwindX9
    @TomA:
    seconded
    church069

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By church069

As long as we get some of Green Day's old stuff I'm sold, but if it's only new stuff PASS!

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#22  Edited By RHCPfan24

I actually liked American Idiot a lot and their new album is good too. Dookie is the best but it is nice to see their work come to RB. I may not buy it, but good stuff all around.

rinkalicous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By rinkalicous
    RHCPfan24 said:
    " I actually liked American Idiot a lot and their new album is good too. Dookie is the best but it is nice to see their work come to RB. I may not buy it, but good stuff all around. "
    I totally hate Dookie, but don't mind thier new stuff. Is that wrong?
    master_prophet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#24  Edited By master_prophet

While I am happy to see the sweet punk rock trio finally get into a music game (and thankfully, the right one), I am a bit disappointed that they went with brand new songs.  I do like "Know Your Enemy" and "21 Guns", but nothing is as good as classic "Dookie" or "Nimrod" Green Day.  However, I am glad they totally skipped putting up tunes from "American Idiot", cause I hated that album.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#25  Edited By RHCPfan24
    @Rinkalicous said:
    "
    RHCPfan24 said:
    " I actually liked American Idiot a lot and their new album is good too. Dookie is the best but it is nice to see their work come to RB. I may not buy it, but good stuff all around. "
    I totally hate Dookie, but don't mind thier new stuff. Is that wrong?
    "
    Nah, that is alright. I don't love anything really by them. I just have more memories from around Dookie from them. American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown are very well done albums, so they are worth liking.
    DannyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#26  Edited By DannyJ

Follow up Beatles with Green Day? Are you nuts?!

Now if they followed up Beatles with Queen...

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Pibo47

Still hate green day. Now how about that disturbed rock band...

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#28  Edited By Tylea002

I LOVE Green Day. Which is why it pains me to see not the entire album, when I want to non-stop sing 21st Century Breakdown, the track.

darkjester74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By darkjester74

*shakes head*  When will the madness end?

Illmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Illmatic

Just recently started listening to Green Day (starting from American Idiot to 21st Century Breakdown and now to Dookie). A rock band with the band sounds pretty interesting from what I've heard from the three albums.

rentfn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By rentfn

Dookie was one of the first CDs i ever bought. I would love to play through it.

Avatar image for technicallyproficient
    TechnicallyProficient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are only a handful of Green Day songs I'd actually want to play. A 6-pack or so of past material would satisfy.

Rirobuge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Rirobuge

Can't wait for Brain Stew... 5 Chords repeated for 3 boring minutes.

CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Just give us Dookie please

solidpython

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By solidpython

I would buy Green Day: Rock Band quicker than I have sex... and damn that's quick!!!

Anyway downloadable content is good news as well, might mean I finally get round to buying RB2, I said I wouldn't we we got fucked, but damn it the song list on that thing is too good to pass up now!

akumasan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By akumasan

I feel, like they did with the No Doubt pack, just put International Superhits on there. The best of would be perfect (plus the high points of American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown) for RB.  I love their old albums but if they put Int. Super. on, I'd be a happy bunny.

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Kohe321

Uh no thanks I hate Greenday.

Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Venatio

FINALLY!! Ive been waiting for some Green Day songs to come to Rock Band for a very long time

Seeing as Im a huge Green Day fan AND I like their new songs I will be buying all three songs

But I really hope that other songs come too, I want some older stuff and 21th Century Breakdown

Why so much hate against Green Day in these comments?

And YES I would buy a Green Day:Rock Band if they made one

Avatar image for royalewifcheese
    RoyaleWifCheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By RoyaleWifCheese

Releasing Dookie as a full album would make my day. But these songs are popular right now. You had to see this coming.

As a fan, no thank you.

Avatar image for DELETE_chickenpants
    ChickenPants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ChickenPants

I think it's fine giving them DLC but a full game??

That's just ridiculous.Their songs all sound pretty similar and aren't remotely complicated in the drums,bass and guitar parts .ie. people will be bored.

And this is coming from a guy who likes Greenday.

Banjo_ace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Banjo_ace

not a big fan but hey different tastes

Homeslice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Homeslice

Gimme Dookie and Kerplunk....oh yes.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43  Edited By Vod_Crack
    @Vinchenzo said:
    " I'd rather have good music. No buy! "
    Yes to this.
    Venatio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Venatio
    @Vod_Crack said:
    "
    @Vinchenzo said:
    " I'd rather have good music. No buy! "
    Yes to this. "
    You guys might not like Green Day and thats okay but both of you sound like assholes when you say it like that
    Log

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Log

What a bunch of garbage... new Green Day is preachy they should go back to just being stupid fun.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By PercyChuggs

That new record of theirs is awful. It sounds like everything I try to avoid hearing on the radio these days.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#47  Edited By skrutop

Normally I'd whine that they didn't pick their older stuff, especially since I haven't heard anything off their new album yet.  But I absolutely loved American Idiot when I bought it on a whim, so I'm hopeful that the new tracks rock.

I still want Basket Case, though.

Aaron_G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48  Edited By Aaron_G

Yes! I have been wanting Green Day on Rock Band for the longest time. 

ultrapeanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ultrapeanut

I've heard "Know Your Enemy" twice and I'm pretty sure I already never want to hear it again, but hopefully the old stuff will be available sometime.

Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By Gunner

If dookie is on there, im going to have to buy rock band.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.