Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Rockstar Games

Company »

Rockstar Games publish many original (and sometimes controversial) franchises from their various studios around the world. They are most famous for their work on the Grand Theft Auto series.

What game should Rockstar remake?

• 72 results
    BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By BrainScratch

Poll What game should Rockstar remake? (296 votes)

GTA 2%
    GTA 2 2%
    Smuggler's Run 2%
    Midnight Club 1%
    GTA III 2%
    Smuggler's Run 2 0%
    GTA Vice Vity 16%
    Midnight Club II 0%
    Manhunt 7%
    Red Dead Revolver 2%
    GTA San Andreas 6%
    Midnight Club 3 1%
    The Warriors 10%
    Rockstar Games Presents Table Tennis 9%
    Bully 20%
    Manhunt 2 0%
    GTA IV 1%
    Red Dead Redemption 12%
    L.A. Noire 6%
    Max Payne 3 1%

Let's pretend Rockstar wants to remake/remaster one of their old games and they gave you the power to choose the game. What do you pick?

The remaster would be faithful to the original game, just improving on what's necessary like using a modern graphical engine, better controls and so on. Something like what SEGA is doing with Yakuza Kiwami.

Also, on this pretend scenario, they still have all the rights to the music they used on the original games.

-

Personally, I would pick Vice City. It's still my favorite GTA game and I think a highly detailed 80's Vice City would look amazing with modern graphics. I also think it would be interesting to have a GTA game, with all of it's detail, on a much smaller city (however, if they wanted to change and improve the map that would be fine, as long as they kept the original story). I really want them to go back to Vice City but a game set in modern-day fictional Miami doesn't seem that much interesting, so remaking it could be a nice idea in this situation.

I also think they should improve the engine they're currently using for their games. Make the controls feel better and stop with the animation priority and the physics engine affecting the tightness of the controls. But I think this already applies to them for real and not just on this pretend scenario.

• 
    sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Honestly, I'd go with the "none of them" route. I'd rather a different studio handle doing this, using the original as the framework and just update it. I'd rather see a sequel to LA Noire (that has nothing to do with the original except the city) more than anything else they can do.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

table tennis 100%, best game they ever made IMO

Avatar image for deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1
    deactivated-5a00c029ab7c1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Max Payne 1 should, I actually thought about this for a bit I love the Max Payne series but after 3 I have no idea where they could go with Max I really can't see him getting any older in my opinion and don't want that I think Rockstar should either go prequel or remake. And I think Remake is the best way to go. The original MP has such amazing atmosphere with the blizzard setting I would love to see it in the Rage engine.

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By damodar

I don't quite love it the way some people do, but RDR probably deserves to exist in a format where the performance and image quality aren't so rough. Doesn't even really want to be remade per se. A decent PC port would do wonders.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
    deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

GTA 2 is one of my favorite Rockstar games and it would be neat to see that game with a modern graphics engine and some better driving physics. You could probably make that game look really cool with its top-down view in a 3D style.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Lemmings, please.

lead_dispencer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA SA or midnight club

Bring back the stupid mid 2000s car stuff too. Spinning rims and under glow. Let's do it

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Maybe not a remake, but I'll take a new Midnight Club in case I don't like the new Need for Speed for whatever reason.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give me a remake of Max Payne 1 and 2 with no changes outside of visuals and Max Payne 3's shooting mechanics and bundle that shit in with Max Payne 3 I'd be all over it.

psykhophear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 142

#10  Edited By psykhophear

I want Rockstar to remake Manhunt AND make a sequel.

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Tom_omb

I never played the original GTA, but I'd personally love it if they made a game inspired by the 1960s London aspects of that game. Bully would be cool too! Hey, maybe a game about being a teenage mod circa 1964? Quadrophenia: The Game.

No Caption Provided

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Corwag

Manhunt Kiwami would get me to spit out $60.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hans_maulwurf

The Warriors still looks alright on the vita, but I think it would profit a little more from a new lick of paint than Bully, which would be my second choice. Don't care about pre 360 era GTAs, and the later games still look good enough.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By nnickers

Why would anyone want any studio to spend time remaking any game? Outside of niche cases where the original becomes difficult/impossible to play, ie PT.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GTA1 or 2 could look awesome all crisp-ified and fancy.

I wouldn't mind a remade Manhunt, either, with completely overhauled stealth and combat mechanics. I think any graphical upgrades would have to be stylized, though... that franchise needs a layer of separation from reality.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

I don't even want a remake, but I want a new The Warriors style game. They nailed a formula for a really cool 3D open world beat em up and there hasn't been a game like it since.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

L.A. Noire, or GTA 2.

Holy shit I played so much GTA 2. That weird dystopian world is so much more interesting than anything else they've done.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jec03 said:

Max Payne 1 should, I actually thought about this for a bit I love the Max Payne series but after 3 I have no idea where they could go with Max I really can't see him getting any older in my opinion and don't want that I think Rockstar should either go prequel or remake. And I think Remake is the best way to go. The original MP has such amazing atmosphere with the blizzard setting I would love to see it in the Rage engine.

@ivdamke said:

Give me a remake of Max Payne 1 and 2 with no changes outside of visuals and Max Payne 3's shooting mechanics and bundle that shit in with Max Payne 3 I'd be all over it.

I would love a remake of the first two Max Payne games as well! Didn't include them on the list since they weren't developed by Rockstar. I think the first one wasn't even released by Rockstar?

@nnickers said:

Why would anyone want any studio to spend time remaking any game? Outside of niche cases where the original becomes difficult/impossible to play, ie PT.

This is just a "what if" scenario. No one is saying they should stop doing new games to spend time with remakes. It was just to have a conversation about wondering how old games would look done now.

GTA SA or midnight club

Bring back the stupid mid 2000s car stuff too. Spinning rims and under glow. Let's do it

Mid 2000s was the best era of car games to me, both on the customization part and on the arcade controls. I wish 2015's Need For Speed was more like that. They wanted to be there in spirit, but missed on some points. Let's hope this new one gets closer to that era.

Gaff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Voting for Vice Vity. Partly because it's probably my favourite Rockstar game, partly to make you suffer that typo.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ivdamke said:

That would be great.

I wouldn't mind them editing out the platforming in the dream sequences as well in 1.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ArtisanBreads

@johnymyko said:

I would love a remake of the first two Max Payne games as well! Didn't include them on the list since they weren't developed by Rockstar. I think the first one wasn't even released by Rockstar?

They were developed by Remedy. Rockstar did not publish 1 on PC but did publish it for consoles.

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
    deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My vote went with The Warriors, fun game with a great story, excellent sound track and good brawling. Still looks pretty good now but if they expanded it a bit and made it more open world having the whole city available and more dynamic factions ala a godfather 2 or maybe like a nemesis system I would be all over it.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No remakes, I just want a Bully 2

ThePickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

The three PS2 GTA's have all been remastered already

Loading Video...

And Bully did get brought to the 360. I guess past those, my favorite Rockstar game is The Warriors

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rockstar is the last company I want getting into the remake/remaster game.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would probably pick Vice City, since I think the outdated mechanics makes it hard to go back to, but I love its style.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
    alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to see some L.A. Noir work done. I loved the story, but I really just had to play with a guide.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love a The Warriors remake. It's not the best Rockstar game and is perhaps not the game that deserves a remaster, but having beaten it late last year by way of PS2 on PS4, I really enjoyed it a lot and it's a game that's still on my mind, which means a lot to me. I love the '70s gang vs. gang story coupled with the dilapidated New York style very much, on top of bringing a pretty good, (and though more than ten years old now) relatively recent beat 'em up. The atmosphere and sound design were impressive. Before, I liked the idea of The Warriors better than the actual film, which I felt was decent but not great, though by playing the game it has heightened my appreciation for the film a bit. I can't say I loved the gameplay that much as it felt a bit dated in some cases, but felt there was a good enough variety and with a few tweaks here and there it could be really great even, and unique by today's standards.

I rented the game on Xbox when it came out, but I didn't really play it. I got to the part where you're being chased on the rooftop by the mimes on co-op. Also, Rockstar can definitely do remakes. Grand Theft Auto 5 went from one of the best games of 2013, yet still disappointing, one of which I had little desire to go back to after I finished the story, to one of my favorite open world games ever with its launch on the PS4. I loved the first person mode they added, and only about five percent of my 100 plus hours of playing it again was in the third person mode. Bully I am not a fan of, it's just kind of clunky now and I found it hard to go back to when I bought it on backward compatible for the One. When it comes to The Warriors, I'd honestly rather see a sequel to the film. They proved they could tell a story about what happened prior to the film, so I think they could do one that tells of what happens after.

All the GTA games would definitely benefit from a remaster, so that to me is an easy choice, but I think I'd stick with The Warriors as being the one I'd like to see the most. L.A. Noire is on PC which is good enough as is; that could also use a sequel perhaps. I want Max Payne 3 on backward compatibility so I can play it on the One, but that's also on PC and is totally fine as is. Red Dead is still great to play, and like many have wanted, it just needs a release on PC too if anything. Manhunt would benefit from a reboot I think, but I can see how the game could be improved as a remaster. I rented that game when it came out, but it wasn't until I got it on PC that I played more of it. I never finished it, but it was decent. I got a little past the zoo. I know not everyone is a fan of The Last of Us' gameplay, but to me it's fantastic and I can imagine Manhunt having a similar style in a remaster or reboot.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Warriors

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I voted for Vice City because it would be an instant purchase for me and I think it would provide the most visceral experience, but I've purchased Bully on both PS3 and PS4 and given it a shot (I missed it when it came out on PS2 for no good reason) and honestly I just find that game unplayable and dated. And this is coming from someone who's been replaying through GTA III slowly when I can't find anything else to do (slowly as in I haven't even remet 8Ball yet and I've owned the game for over a year, but still) and finds that game to work just fine mechanically. But both times I tried to get into Bully it just didn't rub me the right way from the voice acting to the graphics to the controls to the gameplay asks...

Like I said, I voted for Vice City because I know I'd love that, but it's clear to me Bully most needs a redo.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

GTA 2, but really just the same kind of game. I kind of miss that early Rockstar, which will never return, of course.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c
    deactivated-5d9e9ece82a6c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

None. Red Dead Redemption 2 is the only game that matters.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Ezekiel

None of 'em. I suppose a Max Payne 3 remaster would be alright, if only to test the waters for a Max Payne 4 or a spiritual successor. If Rockstar showed a Max Payne 4 trailer that looked faithful to the previous games, I'd flip out. But that ship has sailed. It's all about open worlds now. GTA V's 80 million sales saw to that. It blows me away that such an underwhelming game did so unbelievably well.

Avatar image for schrodngrsfalco
    SchrodngrsFalco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@johnymyko: Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition was an awesome racer, too. Every vehicle type had a distinct play style which made it fun to try out variety of vehicles.

ArtisanBreads

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnymyko: Midnight Club 3: Dub Edition was an awesome racer, too. Every vehicle type had a distinct play style which made it fun to try out variety of vehicles.

Yeah that was one of the best arcade racers of the era.

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
    deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I wish they would make Agent. I want espionage, I want cold war intrigue.

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

An HD remake of San Andreas with a proper checkpointing system would be heavenly. But I'd much rather just have them focus on making new stuff. I need RDR2 (or 3, whatever) real bad, at the very least so I can stop having recurring dreams about it.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RDR1 a year or so after RDR2 with next-gen graphics.

MStankow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Body Harvest is the only answer.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Table Tennis >

mrcraggle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you're going to list GTA and GTA 2, which are technically DMA games, you need to include their line up of games such as Lemmings, Unirally, Space Station Silicon Valley and Body Harvest. I'd rather see these remade over anything listed in the poll.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BrainScratch

@gaff said:

Voting for Vice Vity. Partly because it's probably my favourite Rockstar game, partly to make you suffer that typo.

Crap didn't even noticed it until you mentioned it!

@thepickle said:

The three PS2 GTA's have all been remastered already

Loading Video...

And Bully did get brought to the 360. I guess past those, my favorite Rockstar game is The Warriors

Those are just ports of the iPhone version, they're not that good, I rather play the PC version than those ports. I was talking about a proper remaster on a modern engine, like Yakuza Kiwami for example.

@rafaelfc said:

No remakes, I just want a Bully 2

@acidpops91 said:

None. Red Dead Redemption 2 is the only game that matters.

@chrispaul92 said:

Rockstar is the last company I want getting into the remake/remaster game.

As I said before, this is just a "what-if" pretend scenario. No one is saying they need to make remasters or do remasters instead of new games.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They should probably try to make a good game first, before they go remaking anything.

Yeah I'm being that guy.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

Imagine voting for Red Dead Redemption.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e60e701b849a
    deactivated-5e60e701b849a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By BigBoss1911

Max Payne 1, yes I know Remedy originally made it but imagine that game with 3's gameplay enhancements. Max Payne 3 is probably the best feeling third person shooter ever.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lemmings is like a DMA Design game, if I'm not mistaken.

Lemmings, please.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tom_omb: That first game's expansion was about being in 1960's London as a Rocker and beating the ever-living fuck out of a bunch of wussy-assed Mods who cared more about fashion than not getting their teeth kicked in.

GuitarGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

manhunt or bully or max payne

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.