Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shadows of the Damned

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jun 21, 2011

As demon hunter Garcia "F**king" Hotspur, players must venture into Hell itself in order to rescue Paula, Garcia's innocent girlfriend, from the sadistic torments of Fleming, the Lord of Demons.

Yeah, set me on fire, but I agree with IGN...

• 146 results
    Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Noct

Finished this game yesterday, and while I certainly enjoyed bits of it, I think IGN was right on the money with their review. I don't know what game Alex was playing, but I feel a little bamboozled by that review... 

I don't really care that it was linear; linear does not nessecarily mean bad, but it had so many other problems... It's a solid 2.5/3 out of 5, but this notion I keep seeing around here that this game is so awesome and you're an idiot if you don't think its great, etc... Sorry guys, you're kidding yourselves (if you think I should love this game despite its issues.)  It does some interesting stuff, and has some really nice modeling, but it is also clunky as hell, extremely limited in a dozen ways, has an insane amount of texture pop-in, etc, etc...

I'm not going to rehash my entire review here, but it was just riddled with problems, and was such an archaic experience in every way that it feels like it should have been released years ago. I also personally did not enjoy the constant dick jokes at all... Not only did I not think they were funny or clever, it just kinda embarrassed me that I was playing something so juvenile when other people were around. I'm no stiff; I'll happily watch the most explicit and/or disturbing thing you can show me, but I just felt like I was listening to two 12 year old kids banter on the play-ground the whole time. It would have been worth a simple chuckle if they had made one or two jokes about it, but it was just so tired by the end of the experience that it just felt ridiculous.

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed playing though it, (especially the nods to Evil Dead), but it's not a 4 out of 5. Not by any stretch of the imagination... 

*****EDIT FOR CLARITY from further in the thread: 

Ok, I'm wishing now that I had chosen my words better, because something is being misunderstood here... I don't place as much importance on the actual score as the overall tone of the review.
    (In hindsight, I never should have mentioned scores, that was just the easy way of saying, "I think this game is mediocre, and it's being held up on some pedestal that it doesn't belong on. " )

I mentioned IGN because their review seemed to place more signifigance on the issues then the tone/humor, GB/Alex's went the other way.

That was my entire point guys. GB has always given me what seemed to be open-minded, unbiased reviews based on the actual merits of the game.
    In this particular case, I felt like "they" (and this user-base) were implying that something was wrong with me if I couldn't look past the issues in this game to see the gem that it is. This pervasive notion that I don't "get it", or I'm just not cool or different enough to appreciate it despite its flaws. That's where they lost me, it had NOTHING to do with the actual score itself or a difference from one total-star rating to another.

If you do want to talk about it in terms of numbers, they do hold some meaning. When I see a "4 out of 5", I think this game is going to be pretty damn well made, and may have some small issue keeping it from getting a 5. This game doesn't have one small issue, it has a dozen issues (IMO obviously), that to me says it doesn't deserve that much praise or that high a score.

Again, does it mean it's not worth playing? Certainly not. Do I have to agree with every line of a GB review? Of course not. The entire point of my post was that I saw dudes giving the IGN review shit in the same vein that I'm getting shit now, in what looks to me to be some "blinded by charm" viewpoint that doesn't make any sense to me.
    kingzetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By kingzetta

More people look at it's charm, rather than the technical side.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By donchipotle

you just didn't 'get it', man

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Animasta

OH NO, NOT TEXTURE POP IN!

Chummy8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By Chummy8
    @VelvetLore04 said:

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Tennmuerti
    @Noct:
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, it's no biggie if you disagree with the staff review.
    A lot of people frequently do.
    The trick is to knowing when their opinion/review is relevant to your interests.
    Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Subjugation

@Noct said:

I alo personally did not enjoy the constant dick jokes at all...
    I'm no stiff;

*elbow* Eh? EH?

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Noct
    @VelvetLore04 said:

Yeah, I guess I don't...  I could see looking past the issues if there was something really great to see behind them, but there just didn't seem to be IMO. Outside of the character models and sound design, I really don't see what the huge fanbase is stemming from. I guess people just really like dick jokes and mediocre shooting... 

@kingzetta said:

More people look at it's charm, rather than the technical side.

Sure, and I think it definately has some, which is what makes playing it worthwhile, despite the issues it has. But that said, I saw all kinds of people arguing with the "7" review on IGN when that hit, and I think that's just about right. If you can get this game cheap, its worth playing, but it has very little replay value and has far too many problems to be a day one purchase or garner any higher of a review score.
    harinosho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By harinosho

it..has.. a.. freakin..boner gun...  whats to hate about a game that has a freakin boner gun? 

Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

I disagree with the staff all the time. Who cares?

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Akrid

Why do you feel the need to argue so vehemently over a one star difference?

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Noct
    @Laketown said:

You say that like it's something that shouldn't be mentioned... It's something that reviewers typically laambast a game over, and it was so rampant in this game that I felt like I was playing GTA:SA again... I'm not saying that it ruins the experience of anything, but it's definately something worth noting. Especially when it is this pervasive.
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By MEATBALL

When did the general opinion of this game flip from "It's a great game that's a lot of fun" to "You're an idiot if you don't like this game", exactly? I haven't noticed anything of the sort.

mesoian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By mesoian

I can see why the IGN review was so high. Arthur Geiss puts a lot more stock into the the aesthetics and form that the game contains. Really great music, really interesting artstyle, purposely campy dialog; it's all put in place to recreate an exploitation film and it's done with a lot of love and care. That will resonate with certain people more than others. But beneath all that, the game is simply average. If you want a good 3rd person shooter and you don't care about the exploitation motif or you don't care where the musical queues are coming from, you're probably not going to enjoy it.

Ultimately that's what SUDA51 does. He makes games that envoke certain emotions in certain people. Personally, as a game, I think all of SUDA's older games are terrible. The only reason why they get a pass is because the evoke an aesthetic that resonates with certain people. NMH1 was a much easier sell to me due to it's commentary on the anime scene, but as a brawler, that game is dogshit. Shinji Mikami's presence reels in SOTD a little bit, but ultimately it emulates the worst parts of RE4 (because there's no one reeling in Mikami).

I think we all wanted something like Bayonetta where the style is crazy and new and batshit but you want to see it all at least once, but under all that there's an incredibly solid game. That's hard to do, and this game doesn't really do it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Animasta

@Noct said:

@Laketown said:

You say that like it's something that shouldn't be mentioned... It's something that reviewers typically laambast a game over, and it was so rampant in this game that I felt like I was playing GTA:SA again... I'm not saying that it ruins the experience of anything, but it's definately something worth noting. Especially when it is this pervasive.

mentioned, sure; made out to be some big problem? nah son

lord_canti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By lord_canti

- prods with one stick and start rubbing it with annother- give me about 2 hrs

owl_of_minerva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By owl_of_minerva

The score doesn't matter. I agree with some of your points though. The jokes and writing didn't bother me, but the bad aiming/shooting did. The guns didn't feel right, it was hard to tell where your shots were landing, etc. Also the game was too easy and simple. It has a charm to it, and I liked the presentation/some aspects of the narrative, but it is not a particularly great game. Shinji Mikami needed more of a gameplay lead or design rather than "creative producer" role (whatever that means): if it was simply a very good RE4 clone it would've been fine, but it wasn't even that. More or less a lukewarm 3/5 for me.

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Noct

Ok, I think (some of) you guys are missing my point here. I didn't want to argue over a one-star difference, and I totally get that reviews are totally subjective and just one person's opinion. 

My point was more along the lines of how surprised I was to see that one-sided review here. Put bluntly, I'm a little shocked and disheartened at how high a score and level of praise Alex will give a seriously flawed game just because it has dick jokes in it... I mean, either that or he just really likes the notion that it was a Grasshopper game and wants to come across as some kind of a hipster. "This game isn't for everyone man; don't let society tell you what games should be like", etc... 

Don't get me wrong, again, there's some stuff to like about this game, but I'm just totally stunned how many issues it has that Alex/GB was willing to overlook in their review. I know, I know, you have to take all reviews with a grain of salt, but honestly, this is the first time EVER that I've not totally agreed with one of this club's reviews. I'm just shocked is all. 

Again, its not a worthless game, there's some fun to be had there, but I just can't believe how many problems people are willing to overlook in it.
    Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ramone

I disagree. The texture pop-in you mention is mild at best. Gears of War 2 had 4 times as much pop-in as SotD (?) and I don't think there's much clunk to talk about. On top of that it's a one of the funniest and craziest games I've played in a while. In my opinion it's a solid 4.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By donchipotle

It's because the flaws you are pointing out are not as glaring as you are making them out to be.

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Noct
    @owl_of_minerva said:

The score doesn't matter. I agree with some of your points though. The jokes and writing didn't bother me, but the bad aiming/shooting did. The guns didn't feel right, it was hard to tell where your shots were landing, etc. Also the game was too easy and simple. It has a charm to it, and I liked the presentation/some aspects of the narrative, but it is not a particularly great game. Shinji Mikami needed more of a gameplay lead or design rather than "creative producer" role (whatever that means): if it was simply a very good RE4 clone it would've been fine, but it wasn't even that. More or less a lukewarm 3/5 for me.

Well, I wouldn't say it "doesn't matter", as a lot of people (myself included) trust GB's reviews and scores. I mean, you can't take the score on its own and not read the review, but even after reading it, I was sure I needed to play this game, and I just didn't come out of it anywhere near what my expectations were after reading that review. I'm just stunned that someone so negative and jaded like Alex was willing to look past all these issues... I guess the above post was right; I just don't get it...
    @rebgav said:

@Noct said:

It's an Unreal Engine game so it's pretty much expected/a known issue/working as intended. It's been six years, not sure it's still worth noting beyond mentioning that the game runs on UE3.

Uhh, yeah.. When I have to stand there for like 5+ seonds waiting for the billboard I'm supposed to be looking at to load, simply so I can read it; I'd say it's worth mentioning...
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Rhaknar

i love how you state Alex's opinion to not be fact to in the next line say that...YOUR opinion is fact. you gotta fucking love the internet

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Noct
    @VelvetLore04 said:

It's because the flaws you are pointing out are not as glaring as you are making them out to be.

umm, which one in particular? Cuz I don't think Ive overplayed any of the flaws... Care to give me an example? 
    @rebgav said:

@Noct said:

Put bluntly, I'm a little shocked and disheartened at how high a score and level of praise Alex will give a seriously flawed game just because it has dick jokes in it... I mean, either that or he just really likes the notion that it was a Grasshopper game and wants to come across as some kind of a hipster. "This game isn't for everyone man; don't let society tell you what games should be like", etc...

That hole isn't deep enough, keep going.

Huh? How am I in a hole? Have I contradicted myself somewhere?  
    It's not like I'm standing on some cloud of judgement flaming insults down on the game or review... I'm just talking about how surprised I was to come out of this game so underwhelmed after reading Alex's review...
    Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Noct
    @Rhaknar said:

i love how you state Alex's opinion to not be fact to in the next line say that...YOUR opinion is fact. you gotta fucking love the internet

Where did I say that, or even imply it in the least? Yeah, you gotta love the internet, where people barely read anything and just pull stuff out of thier ass.
    DAFTPUNK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DAFTPUNK

you just don't get it do you?

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By project343
    @Noct: Question: did you enjoy any of Suda51's past titles? Or any of PlatinumGames's equally problematic-but-just-as-awesome titles? 

Opinions be opinions, but I think you have to be a tad understanding of the kinds of things that people like. Personally, I'll play the jankiest damn game in the world if it has the personality to win me over. While I haven't touched Shadows of the Damned yet, it's something that I'm dying to get my hands on. It's almost everything that I like about a game, and I couldn't care less about what the gameplay is like. 

Maybe I'm being vague. What I'm getting at is that gameplay, to some, doesn't matter in the context of other elements of the game. Take, for instance, Nier. That game, by modern standards, is absolute horse shit. There are so many fundamental flaws: everything from pacing, to repetition, to reused content, to horrifically juxtaposed gameplay mechanics. It's terrible--take my word for it. But it's also one of my favourite games to release this generation? Why? I'm not sure. There's this unique charm to the characters, storytelling, art direction, and the game's absurdity. 
    Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Noct
    @DAFTPUNK said:

you just don't get it do you?

Hah, this seems to be the pervasive defense for this game, that I just don't "get it"...  
    What's to get? It's a dated, mediocre shooter that's riddled with problems..   

But I don't want this to twist into me just slamming this game, becuase it does have some value; again, I'm just really surprised by the reaction it's getting at this site in general.
    LackLuster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#28  Edited By LackLuster

So many people focus so hard on the actual score of reviews it's crazy

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Rhaknar
    @Noct said:
    @Rhaknar said:

Where did I say that, or even imply it in the least? Yeah, you gotta love the internet, where people barely read anything and just pull stuff out of thier ass.
    where did you say that? oh i dont know, maybe here:

"Sorry guys, you're kidding yourselves." Yes, because you are the holder of the truth, the rest of the people are kidding themselves...
    The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30  Edited By The_Nubster
    @Noct said:
    Ok, I think (some of) you guys are missing my point here. I didn't want to argue over a one-star difference, and I totally get that reviews are totally subjective and just one person's opinion.  My point was more along the lines of how surprised I was to see that one-sided review here. Put bluntly, I'm a little shocked and disheartened at how high a score and level of praise Alex will give a seriously flawed game just because it has dick jokes in it... I mean, either that or he just really likes the notion that it was a Grasshopper game and wants to come across as some kind of a hipster. "This game isn't for everyone man; don't let society tell you what games should be like", etc...  Don't get me wrong, again, there's some stuff to like about this game, but I'm just totally stunned how many issues it has that Alex/GB was willing to overlook in their review. I know, I know, you have to take all reviews with a grain of salt, but honestly, this is the first time EVER that I've not totally agreed with one of this club's reviews. I'm just shocked is all.  Again, its not a worthless game, there's some fun to be had there, but I just can't believe how many problems people are willing to overlook in it.
    Maybe he really enjoyed the game. Maybe that's why he gave it a good review. That could be a factor in his review of the game.
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By alex

I think accusing me of "hipsterdom" because I genuinely enjoyed the game's sense of humor and style is a little absurd.

I say in the review that the linearity of the level design and bland world aesthetics were an issue. I didn't have much of a problem with the loose handling of the shooting, nor did I have an issue with the frequency of the boner jokes. I sort of enjoyed the way the game reveled in that stuff, personally.

I say in the review the game is not for everyone, and that some simply won't be able to fall in line with the game's... unusual sense of humor. It sounds like you were one of those people. That will totally happen, as I said. I just think it's a little nutty that you'd be so "shocked" that I enjoyed it, when I clearly laid out why I enjoyed it in the review text.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By donchipotle

@Noct said:

umm, which one in particular? Cuz I don't think Ive overplayed any of the flaws... Care to give me an example? 

The dick jokes don't even come up all that often outside of the Big Boner chapter and remains subtle all throughout. Not exactly something that would be 'embarassing' to play in front of others unless you're really, really self conscious or something. The texture pop in is practically non existent and is far, far, far worse in other games. If you think the gameplay is archaic, that's fine, but how is it any more archaic than RE5, a game with higher praise and worse shooting mechanics?  

It also tends to hurt your credibility when you open up by saying anyone who likes the game is kidding themselves and then go on to pretty much just try to throw another reviewer's credibility under the bus. You don't like the game, that's fine and good, but don't start to say that people who do are 'kidding themselves'. 
    luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By luce

I didn't play the game but I watched a playthrough of it on youtube and yeah the pop up is really bad.  

At one point, the player decided to go back to a previous area to get a pick up he missed before he moved on. The street behind him completely disappeared and took a bit to materialize. I've played my share of Unreal Engine stuff but good god. Fortunately it doesn't seem THAT frequent

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Noct
    @rebgav said:

@Noct said:

Uhh, yeah.. When I have to stand there for like 5+ seonds waiting for the billboard I'm supposed to be looking at to load, simply so I can read it; I'd say it's worth mentioning...

Unreal Engine. You either get nice textures w/pop-in or crappy textures w/ less pop-in. People know that going in, it's neither unexpected nor worth continuing to harp on about six years after the current version debuted. (UE2 had similar issues too, so we're looking at over a decade of this now. If you were taken by surprise then you haven't been paying attention, which is fine but it's also not the reviewer's fault.)

Yeah, no...  I know the Unreal engine has some troubles, but I certainly wouldn't say that I "knew going in" that I'd be standing there watching textures pop in slower then dirt. You can't say this isn't worth mentioning man; any other game and this would have been harped on by the reviewer. This game is being give a pass on this and a dozen other issues based on it's "charm", and that is my entire point of this thread.
    @project343 said:

@Noct: Question: did you enjoy any of Suda51's past titles? Or any of PlatinumGames's equally problematic-but-just-as-awesome titles?  Opinions be opinions, but I think you have to be a tad understanding of the kinds of things that people like. Personally, I'll play the jankiest damn game in the world if it has the personality to win me over. While I haven't touched Shadows of the Damned yet, it's something that I'm dying to get my hands on. It's almost everything that I like about a game, and I couldn't care less about what the gameplay is like.

Yeah, I've liked a few. I'm all about Cheese/Camp, it's not that I don't get that. I see your point, but that's kinda what's losing me here. It's not necessarily people's willingness to overlook the jankyness, as much as thier downright refusal to admit it's there, and this overwhelming notion that you just don't "get it" if you see it. Well, I see it, this game is janky. Janky and clunky. 

For example, I personally had an absolute blast playing Enter The Matrix, and that was riddled with problems. But I wouldn't sit there and argue that they weren't there or that people were just not "getting it" if those issues kept them from playing it. That's kinda my point here, it seems really odd to me what people are overlooking/defending about this game...
    MEATBALL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#35  Edited By MEATBALL

@Noct said:

Ok, I think (some of) you guys are missing my point here. I didn't want to argue over a one-star difference, and I totally get that reviews are totally subjective and just one person's opinion. My point was more along the lines of how surprised I was to see that one-sided review here. Put bluntly, I'm a little shocked and disheartened at how high a score and level of praise Alex will give a seriously flawed game just because it has dick jokes in it... I mean, either that or he just really likes the notion that it was a Grasshopper game and wants to come across as some kind of a hipster. "This game isn't for everyone man; don't let society tell you what games should be like", etc...

It sounds to me like the problem here is the assumptions you're making about Alex's review. You might feel that the game is "seriously flawed" but that doesn't necessarily mean that it is, or that the flaws present are being entirely overlooked for a few dick jokes. This game is a lot of fun without being any kind of anti-popularist statement - particularly when you consider that this is one of the more "mainstream" games to be produced by Grasshopper Manufacture. Hell, if Alex were "some kind of hipster" I daresay the review would have turned out significantly more negative. Alex himself points out that the game is a pretty traditional 3rd Person action title that doesn't really deliver on what you could imagine the minds involved might produce were they to truly run creatively rampant.

It's okay, you've found yourself disagreeing with a Giant Bomb review. It's not the end of the world.

Dylabaloo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Dylabaloo

@Noct: I think Alex summed it up nicely. there's no need to go accusing people of stuff; he liked it you didn't end of. Personally I don't exactly agree with a the tastes of some the Whiskey Staff I learned that after Jeff was raving about Boderlands went out bought it and only played it for an hour but I bought Super Meat Boy after Brads quicklook and loved it. Giantbombs goal is to let you know about the reviewers personality and preferences so you can make more informed choices about who you agree with.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#37  Edited By me3639

Love the game and would recommend to anyone who just wants to have fun, or challenge.

project343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#38  Edited By project343
    @Noct said: 
    Yeah, I've liked a few. I'm all about Cheese/Camp, it's not that I don't get that. I see your point, but that's kinda what's losing me here. It's not necessarily people's willingness to overlook the jankyness, as much as thier downright refusal to admit it's there, and this overwhelming notion that you just don't "get it" if you see it. Well, I see it, this game is janky. Janky and clunky.  For example, I personally had an absolute blast playing Enter The Matrix, and that was riddled with problems. But I wouldn't sit there and argue that they weren't there or that people were just not "getting it" if those issues kept them from playing it. That's kinda my point here, it seems really odd to me what people are overlooking/defending about this game...
    I think that not saying something is just as telling as saying it. If the entire written review fails to mention the texture pop-in, I think it's a testament to how insignificant that technical issue is in the grand scheme of the reviewer's experience. In games like the original Mass Effect--a wholly cinematic experience that hinges entirely on that cinematic sci-fi adventure--texture pop-in becomes a far more noticeable deterrent from the quality of the game. With that, the game was severely criticized for that technical hurdle.
    TheLeamenator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#39  Edited By TheLeamenator

Yeah, Shadows of the Damned really isn't a 4/5 star game... It's 5/5 star game, fool! I got my fire and my gasoline, now where's your address?! Let' settle this. (NOTE: Suda 51 is my favorite game developer of all time, so I'll irrationally defend all of his games to the very end).

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Noct

@rebgav said:

@Noct said:

Huh? How am I in a hole? Have I contradicted myself somewhere? It's not like I'm standing on some cloud of judgement flaming insults down on the game or review... I'm just talking about how surprised I was to come out of this game so underwhelmed after reading Alex's review...

You basically just said that you weren't sure if Alex was too lenient because he's immature (dick jokes) or because he's a douchebag (hipster). If you're going to go the personality assassination route at least own it.

No, don't put words in my mouth; I didn't say that at all... I was trying (poorly, apparently) to be funny, but my point was that I was surprised how many issues he (and the rest of the community here) were willing to overlook in this game based on it's "charms" (dick jokes and outside-the-box style). You're trying to make it sound like an insult, and nothing could be further from the truth. Alex is one of my favorite reviewers, always has been. I personally find him to generally be a little judgemental and jaded, and I enjoy that immensely. Again, the entire point here is that I was SURPRISED that for once I didn't agree with him.
    pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By pweidman

Reviews are so subjective, and your impressions will not always match some reviewers, even the guys here. I disagree w/them regularly. So what. Don't take it so seriously, and quit being so analytical, and come to expect and appreciate different perceptions. Get over it and play and plaudit games you like.

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Noct
    @Rhaknar said:

@Noct said:

@Rhaknar said:

where did you say that? oh i dont know, maybe here:  "Sorry guys, you're kidding yourselves." Yes, because you are the holder of the truth, the rest of the people are kidding themselves...

"It's a solid 2.5/3 out of 5, but this notion I keep seeing around here that this game is so awesome and you're an idiot if you don't think its great, etc... Sorry guys, you're kidding yourselves."  

Yeah...that's exactly what happened, excellent comprehension there chief. I said your kidding yourselves if you think anyone who doesn't think this game is amazing is an idiot.  
    So, no, but thanks for playing.
    coakroach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By coakroach
    @Noct said:
    did not enjoy the constant dick jokes
    Get off my internet.
    Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Noct
    @alex said:

I think accusing me of "hipsterdom" because I genuinely enjoyed the game's sense of humor and style is a little absurd.

I say in the review that the linearity of the level design and bland world aesthetics were an issue. I didn't have much of a problem with the loose handling of the shooting, nor did I have an issue with the frequency of the boner jokes. I sort of enjoyed the way the game reveled in that stuff, personally.

I say in the review the game is not for everyone, and that some simply won't be able to fall in line with the game's... unusual sense of humor. It sounds like you were one of those people. That will totally happen, as I said. I just think it's a little nutty that you'd be so "shocked" that I enjoyed it, when I clearly laid out why I enjoyed it in the review text.

No, no, I wasn't saying that at all... Or at least, I didn't mean to imply that. My point was that you (from my perspective at least) will generally tear a title a new one for a lot of the issues I saw in here, and you seemed to give this game a pass because you thought it was funny/campy/different/whatever... That surprised me; I've been reading your stuff for many years now, and you are generally the jaded one, not the "hey, overlook all these issues and see what the devs were going for here".

To be perfectly honest, I hadn't read your review since last Thursday, and now that I've re-read it, you do mention a lot more problems then I remembered, but that's not really the point. Honestly, I was on the fence about buying this game and your review put me over the fence, so I was just a little surprised when it didn't live up to the expectations (for me) that your review had put in place in my head.

I'm not shocked at all that you enjoyed it, I enjoyed it as well (especially the Evil Dead segment), I was just shocked that you were willing to give it that high a score and that much praise despite the issues.
    dragonzord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By dragonzord

Crysis 2 was full of insane fps drops and pop in on consoles. It wasn't even campy or unique. Where were you for THAT review?

Loose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Loose
    @rebgav said:

@Noct said:

it's not a 4 out of 5

Oh ffs.

This. The second someone refers to the score is when I stop giving a shit about their opinion.
    RE_Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By RE_Player1
    I've read through this entire thread, yes I have no life, and I have to say it baffles me why it exists. You didn't like the game as much as Alex but agreed with the review IGN put up. Nothing wrong with that at all... No need for a thread though.
    shinigami420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By shinigami420

Sorry but its not sudas fault that your taste in games are so shitty

Noct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Noct
    @VelvetLore04 said:

@Noct said:

The dick jokes don't even come up all that often outside of the Big Boner chapter and remains subtle all throughout. Not exactly something that would be 'embarassing' to play in front of others unless you're really, really self conscious or something. The texture pop in is practically non existent and is far, far, far worse in other games. If you think the gameplay is archaic, that's fine, but how is it any more archaic than RE5, a game with higher praise and worse shooting mechanics?   It also tends to hurt your credibility when you open up by saying anyone who likes the game is kidding themselves and then go on to pretty much just try to throw another reviewer's credibility under the bus. You don't like the game, that's fine and good, but don't start to say that people who do are 'kidding themselves'. 

Wow, the reading comprehension around here is just mind-numbing... Again, I didn't say that people who liked the game are kidding themselves, I said that thinking I'm an idiot for not being blinded by the humor into overlooking the flaws is. Yikes, read the posts if you're going to respond man.
    Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Noct said:
    Finished this game yesterday, and while I certainly enjoyed bits of it, I think IGN was right on the money with their review. I don't know what game Alex was playing, but I feel a little bamboozled by that review...  I don't really care that it was linear; linear does not nessecarily mean bad, but it had so many other problems... It's a solid 2.5/3 out of 5, but this notion I keep seeing around here that this game is so awesome and you're an idiot if you don't think its great, etc... Sorry guys, you're kidding yourselves.  It does some interesting stuff, and has some really nice modeling, but it is also clunky as hell, extremely limited in a dozen ways, has an insane amount of texture pop-in, etc, etc... I'm not going to rehash my entire review here, but it was just riddled with problems, and was such an archaic experience in every way that it feels like it should have been released years ago. I alo personally did not enjoy the constant dick jokes at all... Not only did I not think they were funny or clever, it just kinda embarrassed me that I was playing something so juvenile when other people were around. I'm no stiff; I'll happily watch the most explicit and/or disturbing thing you can show me, but I just felt like I was listening to two 12 year old kids banter on the play-ground the whole time. It would have been worth a simple chuckle if they had made one or two jokes about it, but it was just so tired by the end of the experience that it just felt ridiculous.  Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed playing though it, (especially the nods to Evil Dead), but it's not a 4 out of 5. Not by any stretch of the imagination...
    Borderlands had much mroe texture pop in...and IGN gave the game a 7...And if you don wanna argue over ONE star difference why did you make this thread and point out the GB review? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.