Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Shatter

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Jul 23, 2009

Break up blocks while sucking and blowing to maneuver your balls in this puzzle game from Sidhe Interactive.

30 Days of Gaming : Day 8

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

Edited By aurahack

Sorry for the breather I took yesterday. Guess I'll leave myself a day of "not doing anything on the internet". It did good. 

No Caption Provided

Shatter 

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while. I'll keep it shorter than I would normally because I'm quite sleepy. So let's kick it off by saying something I feel to be completely factual in every imaginable way: 

The Shatter soundtrack is the best video game OST I've ever listened to. More so than the FF7 soundtrack, more so than Chrono Cross or Zelda or Halo or Pac-Man or fuckin' anything you can possibly think of. Heck, even more so than Rez. Why? 

Because it's actual music. It's a 100% originally composed soundtrack that is so fucking great that you could give it to anyone and tell them "This is a music album." They would be so pleased from listening to it that they'd then ask you who this "Shatter" artist is and you'd be able to laugh upon your high-horse, knowing videogames are responsible. The thing I find myself going through when I listen to game soundtracks, either original or licensed, is nostalgia. Be it an old or new OST, you'll always listen to it and remember what level that song was from, what boss belonged to that theme or what inn played that music. That's not a bad thing, per se. It's just that it's never quite "right" after a set amount of time and no matter how great the OST is, you'll probably end up skipping the tracks in your playlist when they come on during a shuffle play.  

The Shatter OST, though, is never like that to me. It's always fresh, it's always exciting and it's always so energetic and upbeat that it's impossible to not appreciate it on a level above the medium it debuted in. Soundtrack composer Jeremiah Ross (known as Module) concocted a collection of beats, riffs and synths so pleasurable to the ear that I literally cannot think of another soundtrack in the industry's history that even comes close to the full-album quality that the Shatter OST does. It's a perfect symphony of electronica, dance, old-school videogame tunes and rock. 

And that's not even to mention it's in-game cohesiveness with the action happening on-screen. The sound effects were all composed alongside the soundtrack to keep a synergistic feel throughout the whole experience, no matter the stage. Everything sounds like the most delicately orchestrated orgasm of electronic sounds.  

Go to sidhe.bandcamp.com and buy the soundtrack. You're a complete and absolute imbecile if you miss out on it. And if you don't like electronic music, then just give it a quick listen. It's got enough videogame shine to it that you might just nick a liking to it. ;D  

Days of Gaming Recap!

Feb 13th, 2011 - Day 1: Your Very First Videogame
    Feb 14th, 2011 - Day 2: Your Favorite Character 
    Feb 15th, 2011 - Day 3: A Game That Is Underrated   
    Feb 16th, 2011 - Day 4: Your Guilty-Pleasure Game     
    Feb 17th, 2011 - Day 5: Game Character You Wish You Were  
    Feb 18th, 2011 - Day 6: Most Annoying Character
    Feb 19th, 2011 - Day 7: Favorite Game Couple  

See you, once again, tomorrow!        
    aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By aurahack

Sorry for the breather I took yesterday. Guess I'll leave myself a day of "not doing anything on the internet". It did good. 

No Caption Provided

Shatter 

I've been wanting to do something like this for a while. I'll keep it shorter than I would normally because I'm quite sleepy. So let's kick it off by saying something I feel to be completely factual in every imaginable way: 

The Shatter soundtrack is the best video game OST I've ever listened to. More so than the FF7 soundtrack, more so than Chrono Cross or Zelda or Halo or Pac-Man or fuckin' anything you can possibly think of. Heck, even more so than Rez. Why? 

Because it's actual music. It's a 100% originally composed soundtrack that is so fucking great that you could give it to anyone and tell them "This is a music album." They would be so pleased from listening to it that they'd then ask you who this "Shatter" artist is and you'd be able to laugh upon your high-horse, knowing videogames are responsible. The thing I find myself going through when I listen to game soundtracks, either original or licensed, is nostalgia. Be it an old or new OST, you'll always listen to it and remember what level that song was from, what boss belonged to that theme or what inn played that music. That's not a bad thing, per se. It's just that it's never quite "right" after a set amount of time and no matter how great the OST is, you'll probably end up skipping the tracks in your playlist when they come on during a shuffle play.  

The Shatter OST, though, is never like that to me. It's always fresh, it's always exciting and it's always so energetic and upbeat that it's impossible to not appreciate it on a level above the medium it debuted in. Soundtrack composer Jeremiah Ross (known as Module) concocted a collection of beats, riffs and synths so pleasurable to the ear that I literally cannot think of another soundtrack in the industry's history that even comes close to the full-album quality that the Shatter OST does. It's a perfect symphony of electronica, dance, old-school videogame tunes and rock. 

And that's not even to mention it's in-game cohesiveness with the action happening on-screen. The sound effects were all composed alongside the soundtrack to keep a synergistic feel throughout the whole experience, no matter the stage. Everything sounds like the most delicately orchestrated orgasm of electronic sounds.  

Go to sidhe.bandcamp.com and buy the soundtrack. You're a complete and absolute imbecile if you miss out on it. And if you don't like electronic music, then just give it a quick listen. It's got enough videogame shine to it that you might just nick a liking to it. ;D  

Days of Gaming Recap!

Feb 13th, 2011 - Day 1: Your Very First Videogame
    Feb 14th, 2011 - Day 2: Your Favorite Character 
    Feb 15th, 2011 - Day 3: A Game That Is Underrated   
    Feb 16th, 2011 - Day 4: Your Guilty-Pleasure Game     
    Feb 17th, 2011 - Day 5: Game Character You Wish You Were  
    Feb 18th, 2011 - Day 6: Most Annoying Character
    Feb 19th, 2011 - Day 7: Favorite Game Couple  

See you, once again, tomorrow!        
    buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2  Edited By buzz_clik

A brilliant soundtrack, and no mistake. It's hard to know if I'd pick it over Shadow of the Colossus, but they're both such different beasts that I'm perfectly content to sit side-by-side in my heart. Module's from New Zealand, for an interesting lil factlet.

Also, I am totally linking to this again.

Avatar image for the_official_japanese_teabag
    the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

to be honest im not into that kind of music.  i have a really weird musical taste.  i love hip hop yet i dont mind rock music, metal or country.  i fall in love with orchestrated sounds (i dunno if thats the proper term) as well as jazz and blues sounds.  so i would say the Crisis Core soundtrack.  i dunno why but the music in that game was the most memorable

beargirl1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By beargirl1

i'm proud to say that i legally own the soundtrack to this game. it's beyond anything i've heard in a video game.  

cheers, onimonkii.

Dolphin_Butter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 21

#5  Edited By Dolphin_Butter

I knew you'd pick this. :D

sameeeeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By sameeeeam

I bought this soundtrack a few months ago, and it's easily one of the best I've ever heard.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By aurahack
    @buzz_clik:  http://nooooooooooooooo.com/ Also, Sidhe as a whole is also based in New Zealand :o From the bright city of Wellington, if my care package from them is to be believed. 

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: I never want to hear that game ever mentioned again. And yeah, I tend to go off the tracks with my musical taste, too. Whatever floats your raft, really! 

@AjayRaz: As do I! And it's signed by Module, to boot! 

@Sleepy_Insomniac: I love being predictable. 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aurahack: 
    totally fine with me hahaha.  i tend to not focus on video game soundtracks so sorry for my crappy answer.
    FesteringNeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By FesteringNeon

I agree. I did love the RDR soundtrack quite a bit though as well.. but they're different styles and appreciate both. I bought this soundtrack before the game.. and just recently picked up the game on that last sale. Wished I had picked it up sooner : / You're right "fresh and upbeat" is how i'd describe this.. and it just puts you in a good mood :)

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King
    aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By aurahack
    @Underachiever007: Damn right! 

@the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: S'coo'. XD I vividly dislike the game so I'm probably biased towards that but... well, yeah. >> 

@bukkookkub: The RDR soundtrack is also pretty brilliant. That rendition of The Lone Prairie is god-like. 

@Video_Game_King: FF6 actually didn't cross my mind. It is pretty terrific. It's ultimately a matter of opinions though. That's certainly one I can whole-heartedly respect.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aurahack: 
    as a guy who invested over 100 hours onto that game...  im sorry i have failed u
    recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By recroulette

I can answer this one without even thinking about it. Gitaroo Man. 

Shatter is pretty good though.

aurahack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By aurahack
    @the_OFFICIAL_jAPanese_teaBAG: I sunk a good 20 into it before realizing that I hated everything about it :( 

@RecSpec: I've never played Gitaroo Man, sadly. What I've seen and heard of it, though, definitely allows me to agree with you.
    MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 85

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By MoonlightMoth

I'll say...Nier. Breaks my heart everytime.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
    VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#16  Edited By VincentVendetta  Online

I played that game once, beated it and never really understood the praise this game got. I mean sure, it's have good gameplay, it's fonctional, and yet I just breezed through it, never looking back. I'm going to play it again this weekend. Thanks a lot.

TrashMustache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 20

#17  Edited By TrashMustache

Yep shatter's in my top 10 list of best soundtrack in relation to a game, :)

mekon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mekon

I like the Shatter soundtrack, but another good one is Chime. That one cheats a little because it actually has big name artists behind it, such as Moby, Philip Hartnoll (Orbital) and Philip Glass.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.