Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Dec 08, 2009

An icy re-imagining of the classic Silent Hill, which trades weapons for frantic chase sequences as the player tries desperately to flee pursuing enemies. It takes on more of an adventure game format than traditional survival-horror.

Giant Bomb's Wii Game Of The Year, 2009

• 135 results
    paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#101  Edited By paulunga

So, I played the first three.... episodes or parts or whatever today (basically the two Quick Looks plus one more chunk of the game) and HOOOOLY SHIT. The things this game does, having seen your version compared to mine, is just mindblowing. I can't think of any game that attempted similar things. So far I feel this Game of the Year award is well deserved, but of course I'll have to finish it first before actually committing to that.

Clbull

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Clbull

Can't believe that won the title of Wii GOTY

I'd say New Super Mario Bros Wii should have won by a landslide.

Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By Nemesis

Awesome choice! I am finishing up the game right now, and I can say it is really creepy, and unsettling -- just what I want from a Silent Hill game.

Avatar image for raccoonusdoodus
    raccoonusdoodus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#104  Edited By raccoonusdoodus

You know, if you're "re-making" a game and it gets to the point where you've completely changed the gameplay from the original game and the story of the original game, why not just make a whole new game? That's what pisses me off about Shattered Memories, as a huge fan of Silent Hill. Team Silent needs to just make a whole new Silent Hill. 1, 2, and 3 were amazing. 4 was okay. Origins was total meh. Homecoming was the most horrible thing ever. And now this.  mean, Shattered Memories looks cool and everything (haven't played it yet) but I just can't get past the fact that they have totally fucked with the original.

Still, I am very interested in this game. I just know that when I'm playing it, my inner SH fanboy will be getting in the way of me enjoying it. Sigh...

Oh and while I'm talking about it, the movie totally screwed up the original Silent Hill, too. Ugh.

EDIT- Forgot to mention, I'm glad this won.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#105  Edited By Willy105
    @Edin8999 said:
    " @shades846 said:
    "It's says something about GB wii game reviews when the wii game of the year only got 4 stars but still won the section. If it was so good why did it not get five ? I have not played the game so it maybe just the best out of a bad bunch but I still think they under played SMB wii. "
    Maybe the best a wii game could get this year is 4 stars?  Which is kinda sad. "
    Shows how much you read Giantbomb. Wii Sports Resort is 5 stars.
    KylShanyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By KylShanyn

Just finished this game 20 minutes ago. I adored the ending. I think it was enough for me to forgive a lot of the problems I had with the game playing through it.

reflekshun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#107  Edited By reflekshun

That video was fucking awesome! SO atmospheric hahah makes me wish I had a wii!

artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#108  Edited By artofwar420

AHhhhhhhhh!!!
    conojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By conojo

you guys have completely sold me on this game. I am definitely going out in the next week or two to buy this game

Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Edin899
    @Willy105 said:
    " @Edin8999 said:
    " @shades846 said:
    "It's says something about GB wii game reviews when the wii game of the year only got 4 stars but still won the section. If it was so good why did it not get five ? I have not played the game so it maybe just the best out of a bad bunch but I still think they under played SMB wii. "
    Maybe the best a wii game could get this year is 4 stars?  Which is kinda sad. "
    Shows how much you read Giantbomb. Wii Sports Resort is 5 stars. "

I actually go to giantbomb pretty much everyday a couple of times a day. I just forgot about wii sport resort. And still its kinda sad thats the only game with 5 stars, and its a minigame collection.
    Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#111  Edited By Crono
    @Edin8999 said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @Edin8999 said:
    " @shades846 said:
    I actually go to giantbomb pretty much everyday a couple of times a day. I just forgot about wii sport resort. And still its kinda sad thats the only game with 5 stars, and its a minigame collection. "
    I think that Wii Sports Resorts didn't win cuz it is sort of "handicapped" by way of the Wii motion plus.  I remember hearing something similar to that in the 4 hour podcast they did about the deliberations of each GOTY category.  I just wasn't fully paying attention to that particular bombcast because I was listening to it while I worked on a paper.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#112  Edited By Meowayne
    @Edin8999 said:
    "I actually go to giantbomb pretty much everyday a couple of times a day. I just forgot about wii sport resort. And still its kinda sad thats the only game with 5 stars, and its a minigame collection. "
    Way to go, talking down on a game you haven't played. Woo.

Wii Sports Resort is easily one of the best games 2009, across platforms.  Who cares if its a collection of smaller games when you can have 20-30 hours of wicked fun with it, plus multiplayer?
    Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#113  Edited By Jost1

Bold choice, Giant Bomb just sold another copy of Silent Hill because I am buying it for sure now. Konami better be thankful :)

m1k3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By m1k3

Where is Muramasa?

ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By ThomasP
    @AgentJ said:
    " Was Muramasa not even one of the finalists? A shame. "
    No Little King's Story, either.
    Edin899

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Edin899
    @Meowayne said:
    " @Edin8999 said:
    "I actually go to giantbomb pretty much everyday a couple of times a day. I just forgot about wii sport resort. And still its kinda sad thats the only game with 5 stars, and its a minigame collection. "
    Way to go, talking down on a game you haven't played. Woo.  Wii Sports Resort is easily one of the best games 2009, across platforms.  Who cares if its a collection of smaller games when you can have 20-30 hours of wicked fun with it, plus multiplayer? "

Well i didnt say its a bad game. Im never gonna play it because its not my type of game. Im never gonna buy a wii because well its not for gamers. Its for housewifes and family's. Not for gamers, its a stab in the back for gamers. Nintedo found a gap in the marker and put everything they got to full that gap. Not thinking about gamers.
    Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#117  Edited By Brendan
    @ThomasP said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    No Little King's Story, either. "

If you guys want to know the reasons for the picks, the GOTY Bombcast goes over all their picks in depth.  I can't remember where the Wii part is, but it's near the middle I believe.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#118  Edited By Claude
    @Edin8999 said:

" @Meowayne said:

" @Edin8999 said:
    Way to go, talking down on a game you haven't played. Woo.  Wii Sports Resort is easily one of the best games 2009, across platforms.  Who cares if its a collection of smaller games when you can have 20-30 hours of wicked fun with it, plus multiplayer? "
    Well i didnt say its a bad game. Im never gonna play it because its not my type of game. Im never gonna buy a wii because well its not for gamers. Its for housewifes and family's. Not for gamers, its a stab in the back for gamers. Nintedo found a gap in the marker and put everything they got to full that gap. Not thinking about gamers. "
    I've played video games for over 30 years. The Wii has been my favorite console this generation. I've got over 80 hours of game time in Wii Sports Resort and I'm neither a housewife nor do I have children. Maybe you'll grow up one day, but I doubt it and that's your loss. The last time I checked the Wii plays video games and that's all I care about.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By ThomasP
    @Brendan said:
    " @ThomasP said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    If you guys want to know the reasons for the picks, the GOTY Bombcast goes over all their picks in depth.  I can't remember where the Wii part is, but it's near the middle I believe. "
    Yeah, I listened to it already.
    Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Willy105
    @Edin8999 said:
    " @Willy105 said:
    " @Edin8999 said:
    " @shades846 said:
    I actually go to giantbomb pretty much everyday a couple of times a day. I just forgot about wii sport resort. And still its kinda sad thats the only game with 5 stars, and its a minigame collection. "
    Yeah, it's sad you think minigame collections can't be AAA titles. Try it out. It will blow you away by at least several orders of magnitude.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @pirate_republic: Me too
    simian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#122  Edited By simian

I think Brad's enthusiasm for the game has sold me on this. I wasn't going to bother (ick Wii) but hearing him talk about the story and some of the Wii-micks sound worth the purchase.

Baconator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Baconator

I find it very strange a game can win even though only one out of what .. five? four? has played it properly/beyond a quick look. It's the only call I have a hard time taking seriously.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By paulunga

Okay, finished it. Wow. I can say with full certainty that I've never seen this kind of plot twist in any medium.

paulunga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By paulunga
    @ThomasP said:
    " @AgentJ said:
    Little King's Story was a mediocre game that doesn't deserve a GOTY nomination. Great soundtrack though.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Meowayne
    @paulunga said:
    " Okay, finished it. Wow. I can say with full certainty that I've never seen this kind of plot twist in any medium. "
    I'd be grateful if you could elaborate on the ending you got in the ending thread. :)
    I'm curious because while I liked the ending, I didn't feel there was real "twist" there.
    Kinsella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Kinsella

Shattered Memories is like an interactive storybook. 1/2 the time, its looking around and "solving" extremely easy puzzles, the other half is running from lame looking enemies that make constant screeching noises. Hardly any gameplay at all, just drift from one scene to the next. Also, the least scary game in the series, you know when monsters can attack and when they won''t, so no tension at all.  
    The Old Gods have left, apparently. I won't buy another SH game if it continues this same trend. Traded it in today towards Darksiders, a much, much better game. (You actually do something!)
    DavidSnakes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#128  Edited By DavidSnakes
    @Kinsella said:
    " Shattered Memories is like an interactive storybook. 1/2 the time, its looking around and "solving" extremely easy puzzles, the other half is running from lame looking enemies that make constant screeching noises. Hardly any gameplay at all, just drift from one scene to the next. Also, the least scary game in the series, you know when monsters can attack and when they won''t, so no tension at all.  The Old Gods have left, apparently. I won't buy another SH game if it continues this same trend. Traded it in today towards Darksiders, a much, much better game. (You actually do something!) "
    You're complaining about gameplay brevity and you have an MGS character as your icon.  The delicious irony
    Ravenlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Ravenlock

Having listened to the Bombcast, I would say that it isn't accurate to say NSMB Wii doesn't give you any incentive to challenge yourself and try to get ALL of the Star Coins (which IS legitimately difficult, no matter how easy beating the game might be) - there's a whole World 9 that only unlocks once you've collected them all! And you guys have to have known that if you beat the game, because it specifically tells you so. 

That said, I don't have any problem with your choices. Rabbids Go Home does sound pretty awesome, and Shattered Memories and WSR both deserve to be in the Top 3 without question.

megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#130  Edited By megalowho

Finished the game recently, really enjoyed it start to finish. Some excellent and innovative storytelling at play here. It looks great, sounds great, and the gameplay uses the Wii's features in a number of fun ways. Totally worth playing, though maybe not worth the full $50 price tag - YMMV.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#131  Edited By AgentJ
    @megalowho said:
    " Finished the game recently, really enjoyed it start to finish. Some excellent and innovative storytelling at play here. It looks great, sounds great, and the gameplay uses the Wii's features in a number of fun ways. Totally worth playing, though maybe not worth the full $50 price tag - YMMV. "
    If you enjoyed it, why wouldn't you plop down 50 bucks for it?
    megalowho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 29

#132  Edited By megalowho
    @AgentJ said:

" @megalowho said:

" Finished the game recently, really enjoyed it start to finish. Some excellent and innovative storytelling at play here. It looks great, sounds great, and the gameplay uses the Wii's features in a number of fun ways. Totally worth playing, though maybe not worth the full $50 price tag - YMMV. "
    If you enjoyed it, why wouldn't you plop down 50 bucks for it? "
     For me, it felt like it was worth it. For others, a 6 hour linear single player experience just isn't a $50 purchase, no matter how satisfying. It's also certainly not for everyone, seeing as it's more of a digital novel than action game. Depends on what you're looking for.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Meowayne

Short, well told single player experiences should not be judged only by the hours you enjoy playing it, but also by the hours, days, weeks, months or years you enjoy having played it.

ReginaPhalange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By ReginaPhalange

You *can* get flashlights that illuminate that well and better, even. LEDs, baby. They've come a long way. They've gotten uber bright. But they've got to be combined with a proper reflector.
    BTW, I had zero interest in this game until I started watching this video. Now I *really* want to play it.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By Linkyshinks

Famitu Reviews:  

• Version Wii : 7/6/7/7 - (27/40)
    • Version PS2 : 7/5/7/7 - (26/40)
    • Version PSP : 8/7/7/8 - (30/40)    

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.