Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimCity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

The fifth major installment of the SimCity franchise is a new take on the old city simulation formula. It features asynchronous multiplayer as well as Maxis' new Glassbox engine, allowing for real time customization and upgrading of buildings.

EA Forums are under Siege

• 132 results
    ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

brb committing harry caray

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#52  Edited By StarvingGamer

I get server issues. They suck but whatever, I'll play more Tomb Raider. What I don't get is why I can't even install the game off of my disc because the servers are messed up.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@kaosangel said:

Good job guys.

Keep this industry fresh by buying games on launch before finding out if it's good. It's really fucking funny that DMC fans are the only ones with self control to not buy stuff they said they wouldn't buy.

You got what you paid for. Everyone said it would happen.

Fuck off please you pretentious passive aggressive buzz kill.

You forgot 'troll'.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit, sure as heck couldn't see this one coming fellas. Let me put my surprised face on.

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea! EA should go commit sudoku, fuck them they suck!

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@snail said:

Well butter my butt and call me a biscuit, sure as heck couldn't see this one coming fellas. Let me put my surprised face on.

did you just ask me to eat out your ass in cowboy lingo?

Assirra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yea! EA should go commit sudoku, fuck them they suck!

Indeed, let them play that number game! That 'ill teach them!

Wallzii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope these problems with the servers go away for anyone trying to enjoy this game. I downloaded SimCity this morning around 11AM Pacific time in around an hour, and everything has been working just fine for me, even on the "Busy" Western North American server.

Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad I am waiting for more reviews. EA has fooled me enough. I would be breaking a 2 year "Don't buy EA stuff" rule to play this and it sounds like I may not have to do that.

woutr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kind of glad is is happening. Sucks for the people who can't play right now but if this always-online DRM backfires massively (again) maybe it will finally torpedo this stupid idea (it won't x( )

SexyToad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The deal with Internet issues I'm sure it's just launch day. Once launch day settles I'm sure there won't be a problem later on. Well at least, I hope not. I haven't had a chance yet to see the game.

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By OfficeGamer

@jimbo said:

@twigger89 said:

@kaosangel said:

Good job guys.

Keep this industry fresh by buying games on launch before finding out if it's good. It's really fucking funny that DMC fans are the only ones with self control to not buy stuff they said they wouldn't buy.

You forgot 'troll'.

Actually he makes a perfectly good point. If you're too much of a child to think reasonably as an adult and wait for a fucking product to be released and to learn of its condition before you pay for it, because hype and anticipation (read: childish. I'm sorry but it is), then you literally had it coming.

I know Kaos likes to troll but that's irrelevant here.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbo said:

@twigger89 said:

@kaosangel said:

Good job guys.

You forgot 'troll'.

Actually he makes a perfectly good point. If you're too much of a child to think reasonably as an adult and wait for a fucking product to be released and to learn of its condition before you pay for it, because hype and anticipation (read: childish. I'm sorry but it is), then you literally had it coming.

Does he? I wasn't paying attention. I just figured if somebody was going to the trouble of calling him on his bullshit they might as well be thorough.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this should teach me to preorder anything, including bioshock infinite

(probably gonna preorder it/buy it on day one :( )

cbarnes86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope people understand the game has to sync to the server. When I clicked to quit after playing for a few hours, it said it had to sync with the servers. There was a quit button, but I assume if you press that, it wouldn't save your game.

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember my first major online heavy game launch.... Half-life 2 anyone?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#68  Edited By Dalai

Well some of us who pre-ordered like myself have to suck it up and take one for the team, but our points are valid. If you release a product, it should work reasonably well on the first day.

I am not surprised things didn't go smoothly, but EA knew this was a big release so they should have been better prepared.

devilzrule27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By devilzrule27

@dalai said:

Well some of us who pre-ordered like myself have to suck it up and take one for the team, but our points are valid. If you release a product, it should work reasonably well on the first day.

I am not surprised things didn't go smoothly, but EA knew this was a big release so they should have been better prepared.

That part of the state of online games now and it totally sucks. Blizzard, the kings of online gaming at this point, couldn't even get it right. These always online games are essentially MMOs and those launches never go well.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok reality check: EA should have anticipated this and prepared better. Also though, this isn't the end of the world, the server issues will be fixed in a day or two, and Jesus folks, it's just SimCity.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This reminds me a lot of the Diablo 3 launch.

The funny thing is, the pitch forks were never put down.

godzilla_sushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 19

Avatar image for kristov_romanov
    kristov_romanov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It has been a year since Mass Effect 3 came out. Has EA annualized shitstorms now?

Avatar image for mariachimacabre
    MariachiMacabre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sathingtonwaltz said:

Yeah, it's still viewed as genocide in video game form for some idiots.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#77  Edited By BisonHero

"Under siege" is a little dramatic, don't you think?

Also, I wish people would learn that if you're really dissatisfied with a product, bitching on the company forums is pretty minor in the grand scheme of things. If you really want to put EA "under siege", then don't buy the game in the first place. Or if you did buy it, uninstall it, don't buy the DLC, and don't buy the sequel. I'm sure Origin and Steam both track all of that shit, and if they see a huge dropoff in revenue from Dragon Age/Mass Effect/SimCity, at some point they'll get the message.

Or they'll just blame the developers and scuttle those series entirely. Who can say for sure; EA has always been pretty good at just fucking over the devs for mistakes caused by the publisher.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By TyCobb

Will Wright wouldn't have let this happen. Fuck. I was really looking forward to this game, but was luckily smart enough to not grab day 1 because I was afraid EA would pull something stupid or mask a really shitty game for an awesome one. Thanks Quick Look and other sites for airing your grievances about the game.

Still a die hard Sim City fan and will probably pick this up, but I know it just won't be the same and probably will end up playing SimCity 4 for another few years.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By ShaggE

@bucketdeth said:

@sathingtonwaltz said:

I'm starting to see this as a positive. Every time a game comes out and has launch issues, it keeps a few hundred people occupied with writing capslock death threats at the devs and petitions to the president for a few years, and keeps them out of other forums.

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Sanity

@jimbo said:

@twigger89 said:

@kaosangel said:

Good job guys.

You forgot 'troll'.

Huh, i preorder games because i already know i want to play them... This may surprise you, but some people dont wait on the worlds opinion and make up there own minds. I like the game so far, i'v blown money on far worse things like tannerite and crappy food, and if it had been a piece of shit (which its not) i would have lived because its not that big a deal. People really need to take a step back from games in general when they start getting this crazy over them.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81  Edited By TyCobb

I just realized something that I completely glossed over with euphoria that there was a new SimCity game coming out.... I am fine with always on DRM because that's just something we have to deal with nowadays, but since everything is saved on the server, they completely destroyed the SimCity modding community. My desire for this game is fading even more now.

Why must city sims suck so much ass this generation?

Sanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Sanity

@tycobb said:

I just realized something that I completely glossed over with euphoria that there was a new SimCity game coming out.... I am fine with always on DRM because that's just something we have to deal with nowadays, but since everything is saved on the server, they completely destroyed the SimCity modding community. My desire for this game is fading even more now.

Actually im pretty sure they already said they would like to have a mod community and make mod tools, its just much more complicated now with 3D models and the always online thing. Link

DaMisterChief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did they learn nothing from D3 and Blizzard? *shakes head*

Christoffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#85  Edited By Christoffer

It would be financial suicide to get enough servers to anticipate a release rush of such a popular game. After a couple of days most of that expensive machinery wont be needed. At lest, that's how I understand these issues.

So I get why EA rather take a hit from angry gamers than blow the whole profit on servers. What I don't get is why we couldn't get an offline mode (well, "why YOU couldn't get it", technically, I wont be playing it for a long time).

But this issue might be different from the D3 ones, I don't know.

Jace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudy80 said:

@officegamer said:

@jimbo said:

@twigger89 said:

@kaosangel said:

Good job guys.

You forgot 'troll'.

Huh, i preorder games because i already know i want to play them... This may surprise you, but some people dont wait on the worlds opinion and make up there own minds. I like the game so far, i'v blown money on far worse things like tannerite and crappy food, and if it had been a piece of shit (which its not) i would have lived because its not that big a deal. People really need to take a step back from games in general when they start getting this crazy over them.

NO! Whether or not you pre-order games is the ONLY factor in achieving adulthood.

Seriously though, ignore officegamer. You'll lose less brain cells that way.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dudy80 said:

@tycobb said:

Actually im pretty sure they already said they would like to have a mod community and make mod tools, its just much more complicated now with 3D models and the always online thing. Link

That's great if it holds true, but that article is from practically a year ago. On an unrelated note I fired up SimCity 4 and started playing around with an region I started a few months back. Game locked up before I could save. I guess today is not a good day for SimCity period lol.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@snail said:

Am I terrible for reading that in Victor's voice?

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm with you, and I understand the indignation, I really do, but just don't pre-order big online-only multiplayer games, people. We all know these types of games are notorious for this shit day one. For that matter, don't pre-order unless you know for a fact it's guaranteed. Or, actually, how about, don't pre-order. We're dealing with digital goods here. You're only perpetuating this dishonest artificial scarcity by pre-ordering.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This just in: Shitstorm Disaster DLC coming to you this summer, only on Origin!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@snail said:

Am I terrible for reading that in Victor's voice?

Am I terrible for not knowing who Victor is?

kpaadet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By kpaadet

@endoworks said:

That was the worst! It made Diablo 3 launch look like.... erhhh hmmm, a normal game launch?

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to go play my sim city 4 again now.

Dreamfall31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#94  Edited By Dreamfall31

I was skeptically excited for this game because of my love for the original game when it came out, but the QL and these server problems turned me off 100%. Even if the server problems during the first few days wouldn't bother me, it's the same reasons Jeff doesn't like it that I will never touch this game! I believe Sim City 2000 is now on steam for OSX so I will probably check that one out instead as I never played it!

MAGZine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

you guys make it sound like launching these huge games are trivial. are you all versed in the technical issues regarding pushing large files to hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people simultaneously? Or do you honestly think companies just don't care enough?

when i registered my physical copy of sim city, and it did not show up in My Games... I just restarted the client and it showed up. I think the issue was people were frothing at the mouth before they even did anything, and then blew up when everything didn't go flawlessly (CUZ EA, MAN), rather than trying to be logical.

If you really want to put EA "under siege", then don't buy the game in the first place. Or if you did buy it, uninstall it, don't buy the DLC, and don't buy the sequel. I'm sure Origin and Steam both track all of that shit, and if they see a huge dropoff in revenue from Dragon Age/Mass Effect/SimCity, at some point they'll get the message.

Or they'll just blame the developers and scuttle those series entirely. Who can say for sure; EA has always been pretty good at just fucking over the devs for mistakes caused by the publisher.

or, they'll just assume nobody wants the game because nobody bought it and scuttle the series because it didn't make any money. I have no idea how you reached any conclusion other than that.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know. I was too busy not having an Internet connection at the time (the joys of college life in 2004).

endoworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@endoworks said:

I don't know. I was too busy not having an Internet connection at the time (the joys of college life in 2004).

Oh 2004, I was trying to get it to all work on a dial-up connection, I think it took like 48 hours just to get the day 1 update downloaded to launch the game.

Jams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@magzine said:

you guys make it sound like launching these huge games are trivial. are you all versed in the technical issues regarding pushing large files to hundreds of thousands (millions?) of people simultaneously? Or do you honestly think companies just don't care enough?

I think the problem a lot of people have with the game is the fact that having DRM and some of the simulation on their servers is dumb to begin with. Not even that the servers aren't working right. They promised that offloading all that simulation that you'd have individual Sims going about their business. But in reality it's the same damn thing as before except all these other problems plus the old ones. I think all their decisions were bad ones.

I feel like they made their decisions based off of, "how can we get less people to pirate the game?". Because their design decisions don't make much sense unless you put it in that context.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I hope they regroup for such a small company. Sending good vibes EA's way.

OfficeGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By OfficeGamer

@ripelivejam said:

this should teach me to preorder anything, including bioshock infinite

(probably gonna preorder it/buy it on day one :( )

I don't understand, who's forcing you? The sad face means you're forced, like you either pre-order or get raped.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.