Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

SimCity

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 05, 2013

The fifth major installment of the SimCity franchise is a new take on the old city simulation formula. It features asynchronous multiplayer as well as Maxis' new Glassbox engine, allowing for real time customization and upgrading of buildings.

Here Are a Bunch of Random Details for Maxis' New SimCity

• 76 results
    alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By alex

It was rumored for the better part of a couple of weeks, and finally found itself revealed last night at one of the more tweeted-about press events in recallable memory (and not because of the game, mind you). Yes folks, there really is a new SimCity game coming from Maxis, and yes, we have details.

Fortunately, the ability to build fire stations isn't reserved as a pre-order bonus...yet.
    Fortunately, the ability to build fire stations isn't reserved as a pre-order bonus...yet.

Intriguingly, most of those details came not from last night's event--where apparently the games press was treated to a brief announcement of the game, followed by hours of aggressively altruistic gibberish from An Inconvenient Truth director Davis Guggenheim and Twitter co-founder Biz Stone (yes, that's his real name) for no discernible reason--but rather by an EA Origin page for the game that just happens to reveal a bunch of stuff you'd typically reserve for, you know, press conferences about video games.

Regardless of the method of delivery, the information is out there, and is also pretty out-there. While the idea of multiplayer in this newest SimCity has been mentioned previously, the scope of that multiplayer hadn't previously been revealed. According to the Origin page, up to 16 players will be able to build their cities within the scope of what Maxis refers to as "Social Flow." The Social Flow methodology is designed to make the development of players' cities have an affect on other players' metropolises. Purportedly your decision-making, as well as how you manage your resources and develop technology, will have great impact on the overlying world around you--or, presumably at least, the up to 15 other cities around you.

The idea of individual Sims being in the game, and communicable to the player, was acknowledged at last night's event, as was the notion of special downloadable content involving a superhero named Maxis Man, and his arch rival, the Evil Dr. Vu. According to the Origin page, content pertaining to these super-Sims--namely, both their lairs--will be included in both the retail Limited and Digital Deluxe editions of the game.

The remaining details mostly pertain to that Digital Deluxe edition, which evidently features a number of pieces of exclusive content that EA will probably just release as paid DLC somewhere down the line anyway. In EA's own words:

As well as all the great content in the Limited Edition, the Digital Deluxe includes three European City packs. Recreate European inspired neighborhoods in the center of your city! Place world renowned landmarks including the Eiffel Tower, Brandenburg Gate or Big Ben to help your tourism business in your city. Receive exclusive missions, complete unique achievements and earn big bucks as waves of Sims visit the landmarks. Watch as the businesses, homes and vehicles around your landmarks start to take on the flavor, style, and architecture of those countries.

• Signature Landmarks: Be the envy of your region by placing exclusive landmarks to give your city district a fresh new look. Sims will visit your city to see the beautiful wonders.
    • Change in the Streets: Watch the streets, homes, businesses, and vehicles around your landmarks start to take on the flavor of those countries.
    • More Ploppables: Move your Sims in style with new transportation ploppables. Double Decker buses from London, High-Speed Rail from Germany, and police and fire services from Paris.

Hell of a thing, all of that.

The Origin page also includes details like system specs and whatnot, so it's worth taking a trip over there if you want to make sure your PC will run this damn thing. As for the information itself, it certainly does give one the impression that this SimCity will be fairly ambitious. I just can't help but hope that large swaths of that ambition won't be broken up into microtransactions, as EA is so often wont to do these days.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By alex

It was rumored for the better part of a couple of weeks, and finally found itself revealed last night at one of the more tweeted-about press events in recallable memory (and not because of the game, mind you). Yes folks, there really is a new SimCity game coming from Maxis, and yes, we have details.

Intriguingly, most of those details came not from last night's event--where apparently the games press was treated to a brief announcement of the game, followed by hours of aggressively altruistic gibberish from An Inconvenient Truth director Davis Guggenheim and Twitter co-founder Biz Stone (yes, that's his real name) for no discernible reason--but rather by an EA Origin page for the game that just happens to reveal a bunch of stuff you'd typically reserve for, you know, press conferences about video games.

Regardless of the method of delivery, the information is out there, and is also pretty out-there. While the idea of multiplayer in this newest SimCity has been mentioned previously, the scope of that multiplayer hadn't previously been revealed. According to the Origin page, up to 16 players will be able to build their cities within the scope of what Maxis refers to as "Social Flow." The Social Flow methodology is designed to make the development of players' cities have an affect on other players' metropolises. Purportedly your decision-making, as well as how you manage your resources and develop technology, will have great impact on the overlying world around you--or, presumably at least, the up to 15 other cities around you.

The idea of individual Sims being in the game, and communicable to the player, was acknowledged at last night's event, as was the notion of special downloadable content involving a superhero named Maxis Man, and his arch rival, the Evil Dr. Vu. According to the Origin page, content pertaining to these super-Sims--namely, both their lairs--will be included in both the retail Limited and Digital Deluxe editions of the game.

The remaining details mostly pertain to that Digital Deluxe edition, which evidently features a number of pieces of exclusive content that EA will probably just release as paid DLC somewhere down the line anyway. In EA's own words:

As well as all the great content in the Limited Edition, the Digital Deluxe includes three European City packs. Recreate European inspired neighborhoods in the center of your city! Place world renowned landmarks including the Eiffel Tower, Brandenburg Gate or Big Ben to help your tourism business in your city. Receive exclusive missions, complete unique achievements and earn big bucks as waves of Sims visit the landmarks. Watch as the businesses, homes and vehicles around your landmarks start to take on the flavor, style, and architecture of those countries.

• Signature Landmarks: Be the envy of your region by placing exclusive landmarks to give your city district a fresh new look. Sims will visit your city to see the beautiful wonders.
    • Change in the Streets: Watch the streets, homes, businesses, and vehicles around your landmarks start to take on the flavor of those countries.
    • More Ploppables: Move your Sims in style with new transportation ploppables. Double Decker buses from London, High-Speed Rail from Germany, and police and fire services from Paris.

Hell of a thing, all of that.

The Origin page also includes details like system specs and whatnot, so it's worth taking a trip over there if you want to make sure your PC will run this damn thing. As for the information itself, it certainly does give one the impression that this SimCity will be fairly ambitious. I just can't help but hope that large swaths of that ambition won't be broken up into microtransactions, as EA is so often wont to do these days.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
    WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By WinterSnowblind

A year away and they've already announced DLC (as part of the collectors/digital deluxe editions). Nice.

If they were physical editions that came with other items, it might be understandable. But they're both just digital versions that cost an insane amount of money and come with content that was standard in previous versions.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By iamjohn

Just what SimCity needed: DLC! :\

Wuddel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wuddel

What a effing tactic time it is to be a PC gamers. Games like XCOM and SimCity come back. Civ5 gets a very promising expansion pack. Man!

ghostNPC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By ghostNPC

God damn it, EA.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Death_Unicorn

JIZZZZZ!!!

Although I am not a fan of all these DLC, add-ons, blahblhablhabhala

As long as there's good mod support, you have my money.

If there isn't, you don't.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

Question: will I be able to go to war with other cities?

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#9  Edited By Crono

@Video_Game_King said:

Yes, and if your account has Battlefield 3 linked to it you'll be able to fight that war! If you have Sims 3 installed you can customize your soldier, see if he needs to go to the bathroom, and even bring your friends along to help fight by your side!

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#10  Edited By Video_Game_King

@Crono said:

@Video_Game_King said:

Yes, and if your account has Battlefield 3 linked to it you'll be able to fight that war! If you have Sims 3 installed you can customize your soldier, see if he needs to go to the bathroom, and even bring your friends along to help fight by your side!

You mean Battlefield 3 doesn't have this feature already?

Crono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#11  Edited By Crono

@Video_Game_King said:

@Crono said:

@Video_Game_King said:

You mean Battlefield 3 doesn't have this feature already?

Sim Friends!

dvdhaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dvdhaus

If it's like the SNES version, I'm in. Otherwise I don't care one bit. So sounds like this will be a skip for me.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#13  Edited By prestonhedges

"As for the information itself, it certainly does give one the impression that this SimCity will be fairly ambitious."

Neighbors, Sims, and the Eiffel Tower have been in previous Sim Cities. In fact the only thing new here is Origin.

vonFlampanker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By vonFlampanker

Probably going to be a pretty damn good game with loads of EA-mandated inconvenience layered on.

To steal a metaphor from the Tested podcast: It's like eating an ice cream sandwich, but you had to eat the wrapper too. (And thanks for that, Gary.)

Soral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Soral

Sure hope it'll be available on Steam!

(Who am I even joking)

Kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Kyle

Excitement!

Aelric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Aelric

I'[m sure I'm dedicate a disproportionate amount of time learning how to build a whole city only to fail in the march of time solely from inescapable traffic and pollution problems that eventually cripple the growth economy. Granted, there are those that found the balance, but I only ever found failure, and worst yet, long time invested failure at these games. Once you get that start up down, you are golden for like 15 hours, but then you hit the land/pollution/traffic wall and it all falls apart. Not to mention the random time bomb that is lack of commercial growth.

xxizzypop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18  Edited By xxizzypop

I know my computer won't be able to run this ;_;

elwillow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By elwillow

Not buying it:

A: It's on Origin

B: Split of gameplay (with DLC and multiple version)

C: It's expensive if most of the awesome stuff is via DLC (I would pay 40$ for the base game and 10$ per DLC or something. Maybe season pass? or a MMO style pricing?).

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#20  Edited By Bollard
    squirrelnacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By squirrelnacho

Good, it's looks like they did not dumb this down for consoles. This could be a good PC game.

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Drebin_893

@Soral said:

Sure hope it'll be available on Steam!

(Who am I even joking)

mandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mandude

Damn. Something in my head stopped me from realising this wont be on Steam. Oh well. There are plenty of Steam games I'm interested in.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By DeF

@Kyle said:

Excitement!

Enchantment!

totally hyped for this! Sim City 3000 was my first PC game ever so that's a whole lot of nostalgia right there :)

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SSully

@Death_Unicorn: If it is anything like Sims 3, there most likely will be little to no mod support.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By upwarDBound

I don't really care about DLC. The prolific mod community will take care of that problem. All I need in the base game is the framework and some basic architecture sets.

Draxyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Draxyle

@elwillow said:

Not buying it:

A: It's on Origin

B: Split of gameplay (with DLC and multiple version)

C: It's expensive if most of the awesome stuff is via DLC (I would pay 40$ for the base game and 10$ per DLC or something. Maybe season pass? or a MMO style pricing?).

Yea, the announcement of DLC (in the same week that the game was freak'n unveiled) took away any enthusiasm I had for this. I love Sim City, I loved Maxis, but this is just abuse. I'm so tired of this policy that splits up fanbases and chops games up into pieces, and I'm tired of people defending this practice.

myslead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By myslead

@Cubic said:

I have to say, "police and fire services from Paris" aren't the first thing I think of when I think France. Maybe they mean Jacques Clouseau.

(that isn't meant to be offensive to French people, I just mean it's not something I think of as iconically French)

no?

Uberdubie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Uberdubie

Yeah... might be the most *tacky* way to reveal a big new game I've seen to date.

I've been a huge fan of Simcity since it was on SNES, through Simcity 2000 on Sega Saturn, all the way to Simcity 4, so you still have my interest. But seeing how The Sims 3 handles DLC in the most disgusting ways imaginable (10 f-ing dollars for a VIRUTAL CHAIR), I don't plan on *purchasing* any of it for this game either. >:P

Golden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Golden

Also friend of the show Chris Tilton will being scoring it.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Death_Unicorn

@SSully said:

@Death_Unicorn: If it is anything like Sims 3, there most likely will be little to no mod support.

I can only hope they see how strong the Sim City 4 community has been and still currently is, due to all the mods that have made that game so amazing. But, it wouldn't surprise me if they could be so dumb to not include mod support.

It would just mean I'd continue playing Sim City 4.

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By dvorak

Purchasing this game is basically a forgone conclusion for me. I mean it's fucking SIM CITY, but I guess we've got a whole year or more to wait.

I think it's kind of hilarious how they're doing a The Sim City though and rebooting it.

Shakezula84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#33  Edited By Shakezula84

I wish I could get this game, but I just can't get a gaming computer right now. Maybe they will do a lazy port to consoles.

Avatar image for internetdetective
    InternetDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

can't wait to get this game and console cheat it to death.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By prestonhedges

@Shakezula84 said:

I wish I could get this game, but I just can't get a gaming computer right now. Maybe they will do a lazy port to consoles.

Actually they'll probably design it solely for consoles and then do a five-minute PC port where the cursor moves better with a 360 controller than a mouse. Because that's how this shit goes nowadays.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Jimbo

What I would like to hear EA say:

"We're gonna make a good game and then you can buy it and that's it."

Supah_Ted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Supah_Ted

Dlc...
    Gross

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SSully

@Death_Unicorn said:

@SSully said:

I can only hope they see how strong the Sim City 4 community has been and still currently is, due to all the mods that have made that game so amazing. But, it wouldn't surprise me if they could be so dumb to not include mod support.

It would just mean I'd continue playing Sim City 4.

They have already announced DLC despite the fact that the game is a year out. I am really hoping for mod support also, but EA doesn't seem to keen on such an idea.

upwarDBound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By upwarDBound

@SSully:

I have to ask why you think there would be no mod support. The Sims 3 has it as does SimCity 4. Is there some kind of press release that hints that they're not supporting it, or are you just speculating based on EA's greed?

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By LaserLambert

I don't mind DLC, but please please please stop talking about before the game comes out! why do they think that will do anything but piss people off?

Rohok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Rohok

No steam no sale.

Nerolus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Nerolus

@iAmJohn: I don't see a problem giving this game DLC. It's extra stuff for money. Don't want it? Don't buy it.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

#43  Edited By Y2Ken

As someone who's building their first proper gaming PC soon, I'm looking forward to this. Enjoyed old SimCity but didn't really know how to play it at the time. Hopefully a better tutorial for this.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By SSully

@upwarDBound: To my knowledge the Sims 3 has very poor mod support. Someone was talking about it in a post a few months ago here on GB. I personally haven't experience it because I stopped playing the sims 3 about a year after it came out and I never touched a mod for it. Please elaborate if I am spouting nonsense, I wouldn't want that.

iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By iamjohn

@Nerolus said:

@iAmJohn: I don't see a problem giving this game DLC. It's extra stuff for money. Don't want it? Don't buy it.

How about the fact that they're announcing what the DLC is going to be over a year before the game comes out? Hey guys, maybe if you have all this time to figure out how you're going to try and get more money from me after the fact, you have the time to put all that shit in the $60 game you're expecting me to buy.

gren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By gren

Only on Origin, yeah no thanks.

MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By MysteriousBob

Hopefully its not as absurdly difficult and broken as Simcity 4.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#48  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

So, it's like Sim City 2000 Network Edition? Or maybe the SCURK tileset editor was only included in the Special Edition.

Spankmealotus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Spankmealotus

As a fan of the genre since the original Sim City everything in my heart wants this to be great. Step out of my emotions and I know EA will screw it up. Not even counting Origin being a huge hurdle they'll have to get me over to buy it. If it was on Steam I would probably buy it even though I know I shouldn't.

viking_funeral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#50  Edited By viking_funeral

Ugh. Origin. And I was actually almost optimistic about this game until I was not-so-gently reminded that EA bought Maxis and forced Will Wright out.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.