Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Starbound

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Jul 22, 2016

Traverse lush procedurally-generated star systems in this 2D sci-fi sandbox platformer similar to Terraria and Minecraft.

Giant Bomb Starbound server (defunct)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PhilOsyfee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#401  Edited By PhilOsyfee

Hello everyone! I'll be playing tonight and was wondering if the server was still running or someone would like to join me? Please let me know, I want to join the Giant Bomb Band.

labbel1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hi

started playing again after last patch until now just SP. Would like to play on GB Server again.

I'm in the Steam Group (steam ID: jaust) but kinda out of the loop here.

runeoform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#404  Edited By runeoform

Is the server still running and if so can Karsh send me the pass word. I

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played in a long time. Jumping back in. Will peep the server.

JauntyHat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Server update yes? :(

macks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#408  Edited By macks

Guessin' the server isn't running anymore? I've been thinking of picking the game back up, but I'd rather play it with other duders.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@macks: I've been thinking the same. Add me on steam if we already aren't friends, french023.

CrocBox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nobody down with the Upbeat Giraffe?

Karsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Despite being on the stable branch, Upbeat Giraffe is not very, uhh.. stable.

I may wait for a patch or two before hosting again. Tried hosting a server for a handful of friends and it crashed twice within hours.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

O man i really wanna try out the new stuff but waiting for a sever to get back online.

Player1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Any interest in another GB server?

Stimpack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently there was some major update? I feel in the mood to play some more, but is this server no longer active?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This new Update got hover bikes ! anyone willing to put up a server playing this game alone is oké but better with friends.

Surly_Skeleton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Johnny-come-lately here, don't have a spare PC capable of hosting but would chip in a few bucks a month for a server. Would services like this be a good alternative? Either way, I hope the GB community still has interest.

Gaminggumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been ages since any traffic on this thread so my guess is its toast. If anyone knows a good server that runs nightlies, let me know.

medacris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#418  Edited By medacris

Is it alright if I join in? I haven't played anything multiplayer in ages, all of my friends sorta stopped playing Starbound very early in the beta.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh man 1.0 just Released anyone Running a Server ? :P

poveren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

so what's happening in starbound these days, I tapped out during the early beta as well - when it was one boss and no quests I think. Considering that it's fairly time consuming, is it worth coming back to at this point?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poveren: It just came out off early access so it seems like the best time to come back.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@poveren: I tried it out today, but my initial impressions are not positive. The game does a really, really poor job of explaining itself in terms of what you need to do to progress, or even do basic things like craft tools. The tutorial is pretty much along the lines of "chop wood, then go to the crafting menu" with no instruction of what you are supposed to do when you get there.

Additionally, the controls and menus on PC are kinda terrible. The crafting menu is weirdly laid out and tough to use and there's too many tabs in your inventory, so finding stuff you have crafted is difficult unless you know exactly where the game decided to put it. Your weapons and tools are bound to odd buttons as well and trying to fiddle about equipping the right thing while you're being attacked (which is constant) is not optimal either.

Maybe it gets better, but I'm not sure I want to keep playing long enough to find out.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I honestly never thought this would leave early

access

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
    deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer: Man..I am with you. Some stuff seems way different for the worse compared to the different versions of Early Access. It's definitely less clear on what to do and where to go, and that gets even worse by the fact they restrict what you have access to way more tightly then any previous version.

Also holy crap frame rate issues. I have a nice machine and multiple places in this game on various different planets make it slog...what the heck?

I'm still gonna fiddle with it a bit here and there but i don't know...I think my best time playing this was the first early access build. I am not impressed with this 1.0 version right now.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#425  Edited By audioBusting

It seems like there are some issues with the 1.0 server. Some people are reporting crashes along with memory leaks on the community forums. It's asking for a lot of memory even from the get-go when I tried to host my own server (like >1GB for one player client), I hope that's just the bugs...

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#426  Edited By Eurobum

@scientificpizza said:

access

Yep, I was ready to hate the game. And the first impression is Starbound 1.0 is slow to get going and also very familiar. But actually there is a lot of well tested, gradually evolved developer decisions here. Their choice to get rid of the pickaxes and extremely fast mining and gently force the player to crawl through the caverns instead in the beginning is quite brilliant. The first quest that people including myself get hung up on, shows you to explore rather than to hunker and drill down, but it does that without ever spelling it out. This is the gold standard of teaching. Excluding food, resources are easily gathered, it doesn't feel like work.

The shield works wonderfully, it's basically Dark Souls ;D. And the problem of leaving settled worlds has been solved by Teleporters, which aren't easy to come buy, once you installed it going back to the home world is quick. Fuel mining on moons is basically straight up Spelunky...

The UI is a bit of a problem, but there is simply too much stuff in the game.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@eurobum said:

@scientificpizza said:

access

Yep, I was ready to hate the game. And the first impression is Starbound 1.0 is slow to get going and also very familiar. But actually there is a lot of well tested, gradually evolved developer decisions here. Their choice to get rid of the pickaxes and extremely fast mining and gently force the player to crawl through the caverns instead in the beginning is quite brilliant. The first quest that people including myself get hung up on, shows you to explore rather than to hunker and drill down, but it does that without ever spelling it out. This is the gold standard of teaching. Excluding food, resources are easily gathered, it doesn't feel like work.

The shield works wonderfully, it's basically Dark Souls ;D. And the problem of leaving settled worlds has been solved by Teleporters, which aren't easy to come buy, once you installed it going back to the home world is quick. Fuel mining on moons is basically straight up Spelunky...

The UI is a bit of a problem, but there is simply too much stuff in the game.

I have to disagree with you quite strongly there on several points. I don't think the beginning is brilliant. I think it's one of the worst gaming experiences I've had all year. Far from being the "gold standard of teaching," the game has barely taught me anything at all. In many cases, it can't even be bothered to explain basic gameplay mechanics. For example, I can apparently have multiple things equipped in an inventory slot, but I don't know how to switch between them. I guess(?) I'm supposed to build settlements of some sort to attract followers, but I don't know how to put tiles in the background and the game can't be arsed to tell you. Every bit of knowledge I've gained has been painful trial and error, not the game "teaching" me what I'm supposed to do. If players need to consult a wiki for basic controls, you have made a poor tutorial.

And while you praise the game for slowing the pace down, there is such a thing as too slow. Mining could easily be sped up 50% to make the game more enjoyable since as it stands, trying to go anywhere requiring digging is beyond tedious (I spent 15 minutes last night digging stairs into a mountain because the "power source" I was trying to get to was on the other side and the mountain itself was a sheer wall I could not climb. That's 15 minute of holding the left mouse button. Not fun.) Combine that with a need to feed yourself at ridiculously fast intervals and the game almost begs you to shut it off.

Maybe all that's different if you are someone with prior experience with the game. But for me, it feels like I'm being punished for not having played the game in Early Access.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer said:

I have to disagree with you quite strongly there on several points. I don't think the beginning is brilliant. I think it's one of the worst gaming experiences I've had all year. Far from being the "gold standard of teaching," the game has barely taught me anything at all. In many cases, it can't even be bothered to explain basic gameplay mechanics. For example, I can apparently have multiple things equipped in an inventory slot, but I don't know how to switch between them. I guess(?) I'm supposed to build settlements of some sort to attract followers, but I don't know how to put tiles in the background and the game can't be arsed to tell you. Every bit of knowledge I've gained has been painful trial and error, not the game "teaching" me what I'm supposed to do. If players need to consult a wiki for basic controls, you have made a poor tutorial.

And while you praise the game for slowing the pace down, there is such a thing as too slow. Mining could easily be sped up 50% to make the game more enjoyable since as it stands, trying to go anywhere requiring digging is beyond tedious (I spent 15 minutes last night digging stairs into a mountain because the "power source" I was trying to get to was on the other side and the mountain itself was a sheer wall I could not climb. That's 15 minute of holding the left mouse button. Not fun.) Combine that with a need to feed yourself at ridiculously fast intervals and the game almost begs you to shut it off.

Maybe all that's different if you are someone with prior experience with the game. But for me, it feels like I'm being punished for not having played the game in Early Access.

Frustration is more or less the flip side of the joy of discovery. The gold standard of teaching is to let people figure things out on their own, while keeping them focused, entertained, challenged and motivated. There are other valid and important ways to learn, such as imitating others, hence the popularity of sandbox game Let's Play videos. But because the multiplayer in this game is a bit convoluted, i see this more as a single player opportunity at least in the beginning.

Honestly I would call you an idiot for carving stairs into the mountain side for 15 minutes, if I didn't distinctly remember doing something similar way back in Terraria. I guess finding out about wood platforms, will probably blow your mind. Or rope, I've never used rope but it's kind of fun. There are always more efficient ways to do things, just like in life. Hence I think the game is teaching the principle of not to spend time digging or building with crude / un-upgraded tools.

This isn't a 20 hour experience with familiar controls, it's a 100h plus sandbox and mystery and challenge are just there to keep moving things along provide a purpose. Eventually when you die and have to come back to get your stuff, you'll come across a stairway and you'll be thinking: "Yeah. I did that!"

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eurobum: This attitude of "there are other ways to do things in crafting games you just have to find them" is a destructive one. Crafting in video games doesn't operate by real-world logic. Combining two logs doesn't just make a fucking house in real life. We need to learn the parameters in which the game's crafting operate before we can start to guess how things would be built within those parameters. Therefore, it is the game's responsibility to teach how crafting in their world works and what sorts of things you can do before it should expect you to start guessing, otherwise you aren't making an informed decision, you're just putting random shit into UI boxes until the third box shows you the item you want. If the game doesn't have a crafting system that makes inherent sense, then it's going to need to have its own crafting manual, or else guess where we're gonna have to go? The internet.

The problem with crafting in games is that it is typically an implied requirement that you will have a browser open at all times to figure out how to build the thing you need. That is a poor, poor standard, and any game that doesn't try to solve that problem is at fault. You can't fault @lawgamer for not knowing there are platforms to build if the game never told him he could do that. Just because that's the way things are doesn't mean that things couldn't be better. The Forest, for example, has a "survival manual" with formulas for building things, with some unnecessary but cool stuff left out. That's all it takes!

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

I just bought this cause i saw it was out of Early Access and thought it would be a cool hold over until No Man Sky is out. So far I've done a bit of aimless exploring on my starting planet but i don't get that far before i die of hunger(that's what i get for starting out on Survival mode).

Maybe i'll pop on @sithtoast's server for a bit, these types of games are always more fun with friends.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin said:

@eurobum: This attitude of "there are other ways to do things in crafting games you just have to find them" is a destructive one. Crafting in video games doesn't operate by real-world logic. Combining two logs doesn't just make a fucking house in real life. We need to learn the parameters in which the game's crafting operate before we can start to guess how things would be built within those parameters. Therefore, it is the game's responsibility to teach how crafting in their world works and what sorts of things you can do before it should expect you to start guessing, otherwise you aren't making an informed decision, you're just putting random shit into UI boxes until the third box shows you the item you want. If the game doesn't have a crafting system that makes inherent sense, then it's going to need to have its own crafting manual, or else guess where we're gonna have to go? The internet.

The problem with crafting in games is that it is typically an implied requirement that you will have a browser open at all times to figure out how to build the thing you need. That is a poor, poor standard, and any game that doesn't try to solve that problem is at fault. You can't fault @lawgamer for not knowing there are platforms to build if the game never told him he could do that. Just because that's the way things are doesn't mean that things couldn't be better. The Forest, for example, has a "survival manual" with formulas for building things, with some unnecessary but cool stuff left out. That's all it takes!

The problem is too much information, honestly if a game show's me a giant tech tree, I lose interest immediately. Wikis have their uses in particularly tedious games, or for theorycrafting: finding the weapon with the highest DPS. But generally it feels like cramming for a test.

Starbound did a pretty good job addressing the issue of there are just too many things to craft. The way it works is as you craft things (from a small list in the beginning) you learn one or two more recipes. This step by step process works for various foods. Building materials are discovered by deconstructing stuff and mining material. For exotic furniture one needs blueprints. New items are marked, as such. You can't really look up and craft something, you need to get to the blueprint of formula, or discover it step by step. Terraria on the other hand has an NPC Guide that shows all possible products if you show him an ingredient. Aside from ingredients you need a blueprint as well.

Today I discovered the flag as an item, and it was a revelation. (it could have saved me so much backtracking) It works a one way teleport beacon. Plant it and teleport to it later from the ship.

dumptruck05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the current Giant Bomb Server? Just bought the game and am looking to join?

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a lot of momentum for community Starbound anymore, huh? Still, I only recently started playing and it sure would be cool to see some other GB folk running around.

GMoneyChuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey, ya'll. So, I'm kinda new to all this PC player buisness and just downloaded Starbound. I would love to join the Giant Bomb group on Starbound. However, I have no idea how to do so. How do I connect to the group?

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@gmoneychuck said:How do I connect to the group?

I don't think there is one. This topic is two years old and the only recent replies have been people asking about a server. At this point I'm just going to close the topic because it's confusing people into thinking there is some type of community server they can join, when in fact that hasn't been the case in a long time.

Anyone else who wants to start a new thread for a new active server is welcome to do so. Otherwise, I recommend joining the GB Discord and trying to set something up there.

https://discord.gg/0aqJaW1chMpCwYd5

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.