Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Starbound

Game » consists of 0 releases. Released Jul 22, 2016

Traverse lush procedurally-generated star systems in this 2D sci-fi sandbox platformer similar to Terraria and Minecraft.

Giant Bomb Starbound server (defunct)

• 426 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DrSpaceLove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Seems i got a bit of a craigslist missed connection add here, we met in the...Structure I was building, you were wearing a whole bunch of robotic stuff I was the plant in the loincloth named Codlover

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Hey Deusoni, I swear I didn't run away with your sick keytar, I got disconnected from the server and couldn't reconnect. :( I shall return it next time we meet.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: I would imagine you'd have serious problems shooting birds, but they will always swoop low enough for you to melee, which I usually do anyway. When you get guns (takes awhile) you may find them difficult to use, but melee weapons are still waaaay stronger than guns (and the bow currently only has 3 low-level tiers; not very useful long-term). I also imagine it would be super hard to stop your fall by building a block of dirt below yourself if you find yourself stumbling into a crevasse... but those situations are totally avoidable if you aren't digging recklessly. As far as I'm concerned, everything else is totally manageable without a mouse.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Scampbell

Is the server down? I got in stuck in a weird spaceship limbo, and after saving and quitting I was unable to join again.

Server being: starbound.redco.in

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By development

@scampbell said:

Is the server down? I got in stuck in a weird spaceship limbo, and after saving and quitting I was unable to join again.

Server being: starbound.redco.in

Down for me, too. Now we wait...

As an aside, does anyone know how to craft that new back light source they mentioned in the patch notes? Can't find it anywhere.

Scampbell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@development: Crafting table, pixels, iron and unrefined wood. Though I guess it might need to be unlocked? Though I didn't notice it when it happened, if that is the case.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By development

@scampbell: Ah... probably. Would make sense, since I'm using my pre-latest patch character. Shit... I'll just wait and see if I can bargain one out of someone.

moonwalksa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#208  Edited By moonwalksa

the lantern on a stick (or "stick lantern" or something) unlocks with the Starmap Mk2, I'm pretty sure.

PoopsOnLawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@moonwalksa: Yeah, it unlocked for me once I got the starmap upgrade after the first boss. Also, I am using my first character from after the wipe, so he's a few patches old but still has the lantern backpack. Awesome addition to the game, really helps with mining and night navigation without making torches useless.

drchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mb: Short answer: Yes. Long answer: I'm playing on my Macbook Air (2011). Runs like a charm and the trackpad is fine. It will kick in the high power state of the cpu (I assume it's not optimized yet), so make sure you're plugged in or your battery will drain fast.

The bow is a little tricky with the trackpad, but it's acceptable...and the bow sucks anyway.

Karsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By Karsh

Server's back up, sorry about the wait (I just woke up).

The fascinating thing about these "crashes" is that they're always different. Normally it spams a world-related lua error until I kill it, but this time it ran three different loops and whined about their performance while consuming a crapload of CPU.

I'm keeping hourly backups of the universe just in case anything goes south again, but so far that one wipe seems to have been a freak incident where the server corrupted the universe file.

edit: I may have spoke too soon. It may have been corrupted again :| Let me investigate and I'll see what I can do

edit 2: PHEW. Backup worked. It was from a bit before the crash, but hopefully nothing significant was lost.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@drchi said:

@mb: Short answer: Yes. Long answer: I'm playing on my Macbook Air (2011). Runs like a charm and the trackpad is fine. It will kick in the high power state of the cpu (I assume it's not optimized yet), so make sure you're plugged in or your battery will drain fast.

The bow is a little tricky with the trackpad, but it's acceptable...and the bow sucks anyway.

Thanks dude. I will probably pick this up later when I get frustrated enough or tired enough of this Dark Souls session and need a change!

I just finished with school for the Fall (yes I am an old ass returning student) and have a sudden lack of things to do for the next three weeks. Starbound! Definitely sounds playable enough with the touchpad on my macbook, and if not, external mouse isn't that big of a deal.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karsh: Thanks for keeping those backups.

@moonwalksa: Yeah, it unlocked for me once I got the starmap upgrade after the first boss. Also, I am using my first character from after the wipe, so he's a few patches old but still has the lantern backpack. Awesome addition to the game, really helps with mining and night navigation without making torches useless.

Ah, thanks for chiming in. Just had to make another MKII starmap and re-use it.

Also, check this out:

No Caption Provided

If you hate pressing "i" for your inventory as much as me, then you'll be psyched. Not sure if it'll be in the next version or what.

Karsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Karsh

Alright, so, that backup? The one that was created last night?

It's the ORIGINAL server. Like, with the big Giant Bomb sign spawn, and a bunch of other cool spawn bases. I'm not sure if anything from last night made it through, but I guess I was able to salvage the old stuff that I thought was corrupted?

I have NO idea how this happened. Video games, I guess.

PoopsOnLawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just popped on and was pleasantly surprised to see the old home planet. Weird about the backups, I wonder what happened to the newer world.

OldManLight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

i just looked at this thread and realized i should've been putting my stuff in my ship instead of on the ground in my starting planet. (hits self) STUPID STUPID STUPID!

buffaloseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

i just looked at this thread and realized i should've been putting my stuff in my ship instead of on the ground in my starting planet. (hits self) STUPID STUPID STUPID!

Did I miss something? Why?

Karsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@buffaloseven: The universe file had gotten corrupted once so leaving things on planets could be risky. Granted, it's a beta and all of your stuff is going to get lost one way or another. But best to play it safe!

--

I'm going to get into the habit of rebooting the server before I go to bed. Ideally the server won't crash around 4AM anymore.

Hajitorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219  Edited By Hajitorus

@buffaloseven: If you're going single-player, it can make sense to keep everything ship-side, since then you can scour each planet for resources and move on, without having to constantly return to the first planet you started on (which is possibly mined out). In multiplayer it sort of makes less sense to keep things in ships though, since then crafting stuff relies on people being online, and often there's a designated homeworld, so you get more communal access going.

Unrelated to that: I got on the GB redcoin server, and I spawned into a planet that somebody had built a house on and mined extensively. If I want to get to the homeworld, what's the quickest way? Find some coal underground somewhere and cross fingers?

buffaloseven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#220  Edited By buffaloseven

@karsh said:

@buffaloseven: The universe file had gotten corrupted once so leaving things on planets could be risky. Granted, it's a beta and all of your stuff is going to get lost one way or another. But best to play it safe!

@buffaloseven: If you're going single-player, it can make sense to keep everything ship-side, since then you can scour each planet for resources and move on, without having to constantly return to the first planet you started on (which is possibly mined out). In multiplayer it sort of makes less sense to keep things in ships though, since then crafting stuff relies on people being online, and often there's a designated homeworld, so you get more communal access going.

Ah, I see. Just getting into Starbound with only a few (disappointingly iron ore-lacking) hours in. That makes sense...is your ship stored locally whereas things on planets tied to wherever those planets are. And now that I realize how important travel is, it's probably smart to be bringing a lot of your things with you.

I was hoping to stop into the server last night, but a very fussy baby shot those dreams. My planet has squat for iron ore and I really need more of it to be able to keep going in my single player, so maybe some of you duders can help me find some :) Also, we need a top secret Giant Bomb underground evil science lair. Does that exist yet, because if not I'm going to get started on it!

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By development

Been working on this "secret" underground science lab.

Check it out:

No Caption Provided

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karsh: Seems to be down again. Well, I can't get in and neither can a friend.

Karsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15 said:

@karsh: Seems to be down again. Well, I can't get in and neither can a friend.

Yup, crashed. Rebooted, back up now.

Been working on this "secret" underground science lab.

That's badass.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Sorry if i missed it but what planet(s) are people playing on in the server?

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkshaper: The main planet is at -91285653, -99455593, System III, planet C, although there is some stuff on the spawn planet.

Also, I think the server might be down :(

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Well the game is working in single player, but whenever I try to connect to starbound.redco.in it just freezes, on both Mac and PC. Any ideas?

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By Amikron

@mb: On windows sometimes it "hangs" for a bit for me when connecting. Screen will even go white like it has frozen, within 5-10 seconds it loads. Doubt that is what is going on with you, just figured I'd mention it.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#230  Edited By Capum15

@karsh: I think it...died again? Nobody's answering and my friend crashed out and can't join again, but I'm still in the server oddly enough.

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah. I think it's down. Did someone tweet him?

Karsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By Karsh

Sorry about the downtime--please, make sure you guys tweet at me when it goes down, it REALLY helps me. I have no way of monitoring it when I'm not home.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Good stuff, tonight.

@karsh will do. Thanks for getting it up pretty quickly.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b531a34b946c
    deactivated-5b531a34b946c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well damn. My PC crapped out on me and had to be restarted. There was a patch available, which I downloaded and locked myself from the server for a moment. I've got plenty of instruments to distribute thanks to Ice. See you folks tomorrow.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well damn. My PC crapped out on me and had to be restarted. There was a patch available, which I downloaded and locked myself from the server for a moment. I've got plenty of instruments to distribute thanks to Ice. See you folks tomorrow.

Yeah...thanks to all the folks who tossed around instruments and just hung out at the spawn for like two hours or so.

That...that was...something. Something special. This game is dumb but in the right ways.

Also if I hear any more midi/abc music for the rest of the day I think my ears will start bleeding.

Karsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Server patching and rebooting, should be up by the time you're reading this.

development

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karsh said:

Server patching and rebooting, should be up by the time you're reading this.

I think the server's down. I'm currently waiting on a Twitter password reset email, otherwise I'd have contacted you on the Twitters.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#238  Edited By Capum15

@karsh: There seems to be a player cap on the server now, people are saying they're getting messages that it's full. Any chances on changing that somehow?

macks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seah, server's full for me too. Bummer!

If there's a legitimate reason for it though, I totally understand, and I'm just grateful to have a nice server to play on period.

Karsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope, no reason--apparently they lowered the default limit in the last patch, which I didn't know about as I still have yet to see patch notes posted anywhere.

I'm raising it as soon as I figure out how to change it. Sorry about that!

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was there a default limit before? Or was it just high enough that it didn't matter? Odd decision either way, though maybe tons of people on a server made it more unstable or something.

Karsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#242  Edited By Karsh

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE SERVER IS NOW PASSWORDED. THE PASSWORD IS 'duder'.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shoutouts to matt777 for making me enforce a password, you dick.

Password will be removed once Starbound patches in moderation tools.

Sabata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whoa, what happened?

Also, couldn't he just, y'know...see the password in this thread?

Karsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#244  Edited By Karsh

@sabata: Probably! But I'm almost positive the server address was leaked to the official forums or elsewhere at some point. Or at least I'd like to believe that guy wasn't from here. Hopefully he doesn't see it.

As of now it's the only preventive measure I can take, until moderation tools are added.

windfishfillet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just posting to say you guys are pretty rad, I was only on the server for like 5 minutes before my wifi got wonky but everyone there was awesome

Avatar image for deactivated-63b0572095437
    deactivated-63b0572095437

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dope. I got the game a few days ago and haven't tried it yet. I was about to go to bed before I saw this thread (unintentional rhyme). Now I want to try it out. I have a feeling I just delayed my sleep by a few hours.

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yo you guys this game is dumb <3

No Caption Provided

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So each time the server goes down, do you get booted back to the Alpha sector?

Amikron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Your ship's position on the server will remain the same unless there is a wipe or something or Karsh has to restore a backup. SP position is independent of that as well.

SharkMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#250  Edited By SharkMan

thanks for hosting a server, my friend randomly shuts his off without telling anyone.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.