Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

AI and tier comparison

vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By vitor

I was wondering if there was any correlation between each respective tier (silver, gold etc.) and the AI difficulty Blizzard included for solo play (I mean melee and custom games, not the campaign). Now I know that high level starcraft game is a world beyond what even the computer can do on Insane, but I was just curious as to what you guys thought. 

I've never played Starcraft before and had difficulty beating the AI on normal earlier last week. Now I've moved up to a guaranteed win against the AI on Very Hard but am getting my arse handed to me on Insane. Played one practice match online a few days ago and I got wiped out hard. Don't have any multiplayer experience other than that so thought it best to field the question over to you guys. It's an odd question I know, and I'm half expecting to be told that the AI wouldn't even be a match for most players on the lower tiers but bear with me.

tineyoghurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By tineyoghurt

I would think the best way to learn how to play against other people is to actually play other people. I pretty much started with the practice league, and after 10 games I could win about half my games. And you got 50 practice games so you will have more than enough games under your belt when you are done. After 10 games I decided to skip, and was placed in the bronze league where I win, again, half of my matches. And I haven't really touched a multiplayer RTS before.

EggPuppet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EggPuppet

The AI is a bit lame. I'm sure most Diamond players can handle Insane without trouble, but the free resources it gets forces you into an artificial and silly playstyle that doesn't translate  well to normal 1v1 games.

There's no deliberate direct correlation between AI and tier level, but don't get too worked up over Insane, it's not a good representation of a human opponent anyway.

wunder_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By wunder_
    @Vitor: I think your best bet is just to try and play against players. If you're like me and you can't grind out games and after 2 or 3 games in a row you feel really burned out, then you have to just take it slow, and get a proper build order right. You can find a ton of information on Teamliquid.net and everytime you go back to play, you'll have new information.
    vitor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By vitor
    @EggPuppet said:
    " The AI is a bit lame. I'm sure most Diamond players can handle Insane without trouble, but the free resources it gets forces you into an artificial and silly playstyle that doesn't translate  well to normal 1v1 games.  There's no deliberate direct correlation between AI and tier level, but don't get too worked up over Insane, it's not a good representation of a human opponent anyway. "
    Free resources? I was wondering how the hell they managed to pump out so many units right at the start of the game...  

I know that playing against actual people is completely different from the AI and plan on practising on the US servers as soon as the language course I'm currently on finishes - the university here has an awful internet connection so lag was pretty bad in the game I last played (game would freeze up for a second or two once every 30 seconds which was a bit of a pain). Then again, I am currently in Korea and have the US version so that's probably a factor too.... Wish Blizzard would hurry up and free up the region lock already. 

I don't mind losing too much though - am used to coming in the top 3 of every match/race in most racers/shooters I've every played but I'm more than willing to accept my complete lack of RTS experience and build on that, however humiliating it may initially be. It's a totally different rush too, still trying to see if it's for me. 
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StaticFalconar

Actually they don't get free resources. I totally thought so at first as well, but i looked at a replay and they start off with the resources as everybody else.  

What does make them cheap however is the fact that the computer has over 1000 APM while most pro players are only in the 200s. Facing against the computer doesn't actually help you much other then to do stuff quick and exploit stupid AI stuff that wouldn't work on a thinking opponent.  

even on insane, the computer will never do funky stuff like mass hatcheries all over the map like what happened to Brad. That type of thinking is where the real fun is. 

sixghost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By sixghost
    @EggPuppet said:
    " The AI is a bit lame. I'm sure most Diamond players can handle Insane without trouble, but the free resources it gets forces you into an artificial and silly playstyle that doesn't translate  well to normal 1v1 games.  There's no deliberate direct correlation between AI and tier level, but don't get too worked up over Insane, it's not a good representation of a human opponent anyway. "
    That only happens on insane. The AI in this game is actually really fucking good. When I play as my offraces I have a ton of trouble beating the AI. PvT against the AI is especially hard.
    wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By wchigo
    @StaticFalconar: 
    They don't get free resources persé, but they do get more minerals and gas per "haul" than normal (I think it's like 7 minerals and 4 gas or something like that).

I've also heard, though this is more by feel, that their stuff might build slightly faster as well. And because of those 2 factors, playing Insane isn't very good if you want to learn the timings of when to expect an opponent to push with a certain amount of forces and whatnot.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.