Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

Beta Ends May 31st

Donos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Donos

Well, it's official. The beta will be ending on May 31st, in preparation for the final release on July 27th. Apparently, the beta will be back up for a couple weeks before release, presumably to check any new server changes.

Here's the quote from Blizzard.

"We’d like to let all of our StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty beta test participants know that the first phase of the beta test will be coming to an end in all regions on Monday, May 31. The beta test will be unavailable for several weeks while we make some hardware and software configuration changes in preparation for the final phase of the beta test and the release of the game. We plan to bring the beta test back online for a couple of weeks prior to the game’s launch to complete our testing. We’ll have more details to share about when this final beta-testing phase will begin at a later date.

We’d like to thank all of our beta-test participants for your enthusiasm, dedication, and valuable feedback during the beta test, and we look forward to hearing more of your thoughts on the StarCraft II beta test as the game’s July 27 launch approaches. "

And linky.

mesklinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mesklinite

Khannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!! 

I mean, RAYNORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR 

errr.... 

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Rayeth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Rayeth

This is really going to jack up all the tournaments that are planned for this coming month.

Galbrezu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Galbrezu
    Announcement says temporary hiatus, not end.

@Donos said:
    We plan to bring the beta test back online for a couple of weeks prior to the game’s launch to complete our testing. We’ll have more details to share about when this final beta-testing phase will begin at a later date. 
    MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By MAST
    @Galbrezu:  Yeah, but either way it'll be down for probably a month or more. If it ends May 31st, and doesn't come back up until "a couple weeks before launch" then that's still a month and a half, right? Which is a long time.

I'm just totally baffled as to why they are doing this. For one, all the past beta's I've been in that I can remember stayed active right up until a couple weeks before launch. Then it went down for a week or two, and came back up for a few days before launch (either because of a "headstart" program for preorders, or just to give things one final test before launch day). That's including MMO's, which are infinitely more complex then an RTS game. Never have I seen a beta go down almost 2 months prior to launch. That's usually valuable testing time for most companies.
    In addition, Blizzard and Gamestop just initiated that "preorder and get a beta key thing." It only started a couple weeks ago. Imagine how burned the people that went and preordered for a beta key are feeling right now. They should have made that deal way sooner, instead of a month before the beta ends. I'm willing to bet Blizzard knew they'd be taking down the beta relatively soon when they went through with that Gamestop deal. Seems like a pretty uncaring attitude on Blizzards part. What happens if someone is wanting a beta key, and ends up preordering the game on June 1st or something?

I guess really it just comes down to the fact that beta access shouldn't be a preorder bonus, because it's a sketchy thing by it's very nature. Plus, it's a favor for Blizzard. We are testing their game for free. Someone shouldn't have to preorder as the only way to get access to beta. It should be given out to whomever wants it. Blizzards reward for doing so is free testers, and our reward is being able to play the game early without having to jump through any hoops.

Can you tell that I'm bitter because I'm one of those people that preordered to get a key (like two days ago I might add)?  /cry   =P
    ethan_raiden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#6  Edited By ethan_raiden
    @Rayeth said:
    " This is really going to jack up all the tournaments that are planned for this coming month. "
    To be fair though, these people are playing tournaments, sometimes for thousands of pounds, on a beta. It's not as if it's a publicity beta either, changes have been made on a regular basis throughout the period. They can't expect everything to run as smooth as butter.
    raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By raiz265

NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! :( 

I hope they're going to be able to finish that Europe vs. Asia tournament in time...

BigAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By BigAT

Ah, crap.  I only got my invite two days ago and they're already ending it? 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.