Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty

Game » consists of 10 releases. Released Jul 27, 2010

The first chapter in the StarCraft II trilogy focuses on the struggles of the Terran race, as seen through the eyes of Commander Jim Raynor, leader of the rebel group Raynor's Raiders.

SC2 keeps breaking my laptop....

hb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By hb

Hey guys,

I bought SC2 the other day and it's great. It ran fine, even on 4 or 5 hour marathons. Last night though, I was in the middle of a match online when the screen just went blank. The laptop was still switched on but nothing at all was on the screen. I waited to see if it would sort itself out but it didn't, forcing me to hold the power button to turn it off. I just thought it would be a one off but now it does it about 10 - 15 minutes into every match I play. I even tested it just now by starting the game and just leaving it on the menu and it still happened! My laptop is fine with other games, it runs WoW fine and a few other games.

I noticed too that the laptop gets pretty fucking hot while running the game, I currently have a massive fan on it while playing but it doesn't seem to have solved the problem. Any ideas? Thanks.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By borodin

Try dropping your graphics settings (in-game) absolutely as low as they can go and see if it still cuts out. From what you've said it seems like it could easily be a temperature issue, so if dropping the settings stops it overheating/cutting out, you know that's your issue (probably). 

EDIT: oh crap I just realised I missed the part where you said it happens in the menu also, you should give the blizzard fix for the uncapped frame rate a try , ill paste it here  

" Screens that are light on detail may make your system overheat if cooling is overall insufficient. This is because the game has nothing to do so it is primarily just working on drawing the screen very quickly. A temporary workaround is to go to your Documents\StarCraft II Beta\variables.txt file and add these lines: frameratecapglue=30 frameratecap=60 You may replace these numbers if you want to."      

Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Jaserno
    @borodin said:
    " Try dropping your graphics settings (in-game) absolutely as low as they can go and see if it still cuts out. From what you've said it seems like it could easily be a temperature issue, so if dropping the settings stops it overheating/cutting out, you know that's your issue (probably). "
    Like what Borodin said, but I think due to the overheating it could possibly be cutting the connection to your screen causing the screen to switch off. Maybe? The only thing I would recommend is exactly what Borodin said, reduce the graphics settings as low as possible and test it.  

Also, get HWMonitor to monitor the temperature of the components in your laptop. (Available from:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html) . 
    I had a similar problem with my previous laptop running Tropico 3 but it would always cut out and switch off. It has since blown the hard drive and I was forced to buy a PC. 
    hb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By hb

I tried the suggestions, I thought it had worked but it just happened again during an online match! This is getting very frustrating. I don't know what to do about it.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Driadon

Something might have gone loose on your laptop, like a fan. Check to make sure it has airflow and report any heat spikes when playing.

borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By borodin
    @HB: Bummer :( it's worth mentioning on the bombcast Jeff mentioned that one of the engineers had a problem where his monitor would occasionally lose the video signal while playing, so there's still the outside chance its a bizarre bug and might get fixed.  

One thing it would be useful if you could try is finding out whether the computer itself is locking up or like Jaserno suggested your'e just losing the video signal, you could try leaving it in the menu and then Alt+f4'ing till your computer shuts down (or remembering the key presses to exit starcraft and reboot, something like that)
    Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jaserno
    @borodin said:
    " @HB: Bummer :( it's worth mentioning on the bombcast Jeff mentioned that one of the engineers had a problem where his monitor would occasionally lose the video signal while playing, so there's still the outside chance its a bizarre bug and might get fixed.   One thing it would be useful if you could try is finding out whether the computer itself is locking up or like Jaserno suggested your'e just losing the video signal, you could try leaving it in the menu and then Alt+f4'ing till your computer shuts down (or remembering the key presses to exit starcraft and reboot, something like that) "
    Yeah, try force quitting the program and see if it actually goes back to Windows/Desktop. If it doesn't then the likelihood is that it is cutting out completely just giving off the impression it's still turned on by the lights staying on and fan noise. If so, it could be that it is overheating the GPU and CPU chips forcing it to switch off, or overheating the battery. 
    What laptop is it?
    hb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By hb

It's an HP Pavillion DV6. It does stay on sometimes with just the screen completely black. I cant alt tab out or ctrl alt delete or anything. I think it literally melted one of the rubber grips off of the bottom of the laptop earlier too =S I'm not sure if it did though. A black liquid just came from the bottom last night but it may have just been water from somewhere on my black desk. The rubber grip is gone though.

I need to get it working. I paid £40 for this game and have the recommended sys req for it, there's no reason for it to be doing this. Every other game I have on here runs very smoothly. They need to fix this! Brad mentioned on the podcast that it constantly uses 100% of the video card's power no matter what. There must be some option to stop that. I don't klnow what changed but it was running really nicely for 5 hours non stop when I got it. There must be a way to get it back to that.

hb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hb

Heres what I got during a small 15-20 unit battle. Is anything abnormal here? I have no clue.

No Caption Provided
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By borodin
     @HB said:
    " They need to fix this! Brad mentioned on the podcast that it constantly uses 100% of the video card's power no matter what. There must be some option to stop that. I don't klnow what changed but it was running really nicely for 5 hours non stop when I got it. There must be a way to get it back to that. "
    Did you try the additions to the text file I pasted in my first post? Those two lines stop the game redrawing the screen more than 60 times a second so that will take some pressure off your graphics card but this is probably only going to be an issue for you  in low intensity parts of the game like menus, looking at your laptops specs it's unlikely an uncapped frame rate is going to be causing this much  trouble during actual gameplay (but who knows, it's worth a try).  

If you haven't tried that yet all you need to do is go to your Starcraft folder in your  Documents directory (for me it's  "C:\Users\Borodin\Documents\StarCraft II") and there should be a text file called 'Variables', just open that up and add  these two lines to the end of the file: " frameratecapglue=30" and "frameratecap=60"   

Sorry if you've already given that a go but it's definitely worth trying if you haven't! 
    hb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hb

I did try it and it didn't seem to change anything but I just looked at it and it's not there anymore. I'll give it a go again, thank you.

Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jaserno
    @HB: I don't think there is anything wrong with the temperatures looking at that. As my laptop began to die the GPU cores were reaching 100 degrees +.  
    I know SCII is a real bad resource hog and has been causing overheating problems but I wouldn't know where to start with the coding to stop it eating away and causing overheating problems. 

I've just done a search on Google with how to solve this and people have said that  overeating problems with the HP DV Series is common. Most are saying to take the laptop apart and give it a good clean, as dust accumulation hampers the amount of airflow to the computer. This is one of the original threads I read:  http://forums.techguy.org/hardware/726426-solved-hp-pavilion-dv6000-overheating.html 

So I'd suggest giving it a clean and seeing what happens. I would also say about underclocking the CPU but it's a rather complicated process - That's what I did with my Acer to cool it.  Although, It could have been a contributing factor to it's breaking. Keep me informed, I'll help as best I can. 
    hb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By hb

Ah, seems like taking it apart has worked for that guy, but I'm not really clued up on things like this. I'm too worried that I'll just break it while trying to do it. I might have to give it a go soon. Thanks.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gike987
    @HB said:

" It's an HP Pavillion DV6. It does stay on sometimes with just the screen completely black. I cant alt tab out or ctrl alt delete or anything. I think it literally melted one of the rubber grips off of the bottom of the laptop earlier too =S I'm not sure if it did though. A black liquid just came from the bottom last night but it may have just been water from somewhere on my black desk. The rubber grip is gone though.  I need to get it working. I paid £40 for this game and have the recommended sys req for it, there's no reason for it to be doing this. Every other game I have on here runs very smoothly. They need to fix this! Brad mentioned on the podcast that it constantly uses 100% of the video card's power no matter what. There must be some option to stop that. I don't klnow what changed but it was running really nicely for 5 hours non stop when I got it. There must be a way to get it back to that. "

I have a laptop from the HP DV series and had the same problem you have with SC2 but in Mass effect 2. I think the problem is that the only fan  is on the underside and don't get enough air. I made a laptop stand and the laptop stopped overheating. Try to put some books under (don't block the fan) it and see if it runs better.
    Overall the cooling on the HP DV series sucks, there isn't much you can do about it.
    Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jaserno
    @HB: If you don't feel confident in taking the laptop apart, you might want to try putting a hoover head/nozzle near the air vents and switching it on to suck away what dust there might be in there. Also using a small brush at these air vents to clear anything that possibly could be there. Would be easier than taking the entire system apart and it might have the same results. Good luck.
    zman8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By zman8

Not to totally de-reail, but I did not think this warranted its own thread:

I am also running SC2 on a Laptop (Toshiba Satellite).  Is it better to drop screen resolution and boost graphics or up rez and lower graphics.

Thanks.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @borodin said:
    " Try dropping your graphics settings (in-game) absolutely as low as they can go and see if it still cuts out. From what you've said it seems like it could easily be a temperature issue, so if dropping the settings stops it overheating/cutting out, you know that's your issue (probably). 

EDIT: oh crap I just realised I missed the part where you said it happens in the menu also, you should give the blizzard fix for the uncapped frame rate a try , ill paste it here  

" Screens that are light on detail may make your system overheat if cooling is overall insufficient. This is because the game has nothing to do so it is primarily just working on drawing the screen very quickly. A temporary workaround is to go to your Documents\StarCraft II Beta\variables.txt file and add these lines: frameratecapglue=30 frameratecap=60 You may replace these numbers if you want to."      

"
    O do not see a Variables.txt in my SC2 folder. So do you even know how to do this? Or does anyone know where this file is? 
    Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jaserno
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @borodin said:
    " Try dropping your graphics settings (in-game) absolutely as low as they can go and see if it still cuts out. From what you've said it seems like it could easily be a temperature issue, so if dropping the settings stops it overheating/cutting out, you know that's your issue (probably). 

"
    O do not see a Variables.txt in my SC2 folder. So do you even know how to do this? Or does anyone know where this file is?  "
    Mine is there, it's listed as this  C:\Users\Jason\Documents\StarCraft II 

@zman8 said:
    " Not to totally de-reail, but I did not think this warranted its own thread:  I am also running SC2 on a Laptop (Toshiba Satellite).  Is it better to drop screen resolution and boost graphics or up rez and lower graphics.  Thanks. "
    Drop screen resolution and drop graphics, try to find the balance I think, but keeping the resolution low. 
    zman8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zman8
    @Jaserno said:

@zman8 said:
    " Not to totally de-reail, but I did not think this warranted its own thread:  I am also running SC2 on a Laptop (Toshiba Satellite).  Is it better to drop screen resolution and boost graphics or up rez and lower graphics.  Thanks. "
    Drop screen resolution and drop graphics, try to find the balance I think, but keeping the resolution low.  "
    Thanks I will try this when I get home...Stupid job.
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By borodin
    @The_Laughing_Man: It's not in your main SC2 folder it's in the one you'll find in your equivalent of My Documents or whatever, if you're really struggling just search for it on your computer, can't be toooo many called that but you should definitely have one!
    Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jaserno
    @zman8 said:
    " @Jaserno said:

@zman8 said:
    Drop screen resolution and drop graphics, try to find the balance I think, but keeping the resolution low.  "
    Thanks I will try this when I get home...Stupid job. "
    Where do you live in the world to still be working? I'm in the UK and it's 11:36 PM. So you're either somewhere where it is early morning, or late afternoon.
    zman8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By zman8
    @Jaserno said:
    " @zman8 said:
    " @Jaserno said:

@zman8 said:
    Where do you live in the world to still be working? I'm in the UK and it's 11:36 PM. So you're either somewhere where it is early morning, or late afternoon. "
    Mid-west law firm.  I wont be done working for five more hours.
    Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Jaserno
    @zman8 said:
    " @Jaserno said:
    " @zman8 said:
    " @Jaserno said:

@zman8 said:
    Where do you live in the world to still be working? I'm in the UK and it's 11:36 PM. So you're either somewhere where it is early morning, or late afternoon. "
    Mid-west law firm.  I wont be done working for five more hours. "
    Ooh, that's a kick in the teeth. Especially when a student from Britain tells you that it's rather late over here, whilst you're still working hard, or hardly working.
    TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By TheHBK

Seems weird.  Have you tried playing a different game to see if it is still the overheating issue?  It may be that the overheating has damaged the thermal paste used in the laptop and you have to fix that.  I would try to rule out the hardware first by running other hardware intensive stuff like other games.  Then go back to see what else you can do.

hb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hb

I have games like WoW, Spore, Civ 4, Portal. They all run excellently. It just seems to be this game. I wish I could just have a look at the fan to see if there's dust. It looks complicated and dangerous though.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Jaserno said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @borodin said:

"
    O do not see a Variables.txt in my SC2 folder. So do you even know how to do this? Or does anyone know where this file is?  "

@zman8 said:
    My doucments does have SC2 but does not have that Txt file. 

Im also having issues with the client. It first says battle net is down. Then says im using a client version not reconized by the battlnet 
    Jaserno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Jaserno
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @Jaserno said:
    " @The_Laughing_Man said:
    " @borodin said:

"

@zman8 said:
    My doucments does have SC2 but does not have that Txt file.  Im also having issues with the client. It first says battle net is down. Then says im using a client version not reconized by the battlnet  "
    I really cannot help you with the client, as I didn't download the game. Just keep trying it though, I know that Blizzard do not tend to have the best downloading network. 
    hb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By hb

Right. I have finally just gotten through a whole game with like 200 units fighting and no problems! I have to put my laptop on a box smaller than itself to let air escape from the vents, and I have a big tower fan that I've been using this summer pointed directly at the laptop. It's working fine now. Thank you for all your advice =D

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By endaround
    @borodin said:

"
    2 lines right?  My computer keeps crashing  in a similar manner, the display goes out and the program keeps running requiring me to basically to unplug the thing.  That isn't good.
    borodin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By borodin
    @endaround: Yeah 2 lines, and wow another person having trouble with it :S hopefully blizzard will patch it soon!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.