Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Is there any sort of Steam game stock index/stock listing?

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By BisonHero

As in, something that lists the going exchange rate of any particular game in trades? Presumably, the standard currency would be TF2 keys. For example, the value of Civilization V must be plummeting this week due to the market being flooded with a bunch of copies from the XCOM preorder.

If such a thing already exists, goddamn all of you, humanity is doomed.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 16

#2  Edited By Dagbiker

Are you talking about comparing game trades?

Like if someone traded Civ5 for Fortrix ( which is .99 ) it would add a few points to Fortrix and take away points from Civ5?

Also Civ5 is nothing like Xcom, I would Imagine someone looking at and comparing developers would have the common since to look at game play.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By TruthTellah

@BisonHero: oooh. Is that why the prices of Civ 5 have gone down so much? I saw it going for $7 now. This explains it.

I will gladly accept any free copy of Civ 5. heh. :)

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BisonHero

@Dagbiker said:

Are you talking about comparing game trades?

Like if someone traded Civ5 for Fortrix ( which is .99 ) it would add a few points to Fortrix and take away points from Civ5?

Also Civ5 is nothing like Xcom, I would Imagine someone looking at and comparing developers would have the common since to look at game play.

Just to be clear, if you preorder the new XCOM, you straight up get a free Steam copy of Civ V. And yes, comparing Steam game trades in whatever ways are possible and then assigning value, whether the trades involve games, other items in a Steam inventory like TF2 items, or both.

@TruthTellah said:

@BisonHero: oooh. Is that why the prices of Civ 5 have gone down so much? I saw it going for $7 now. This explains it.

I will gladly accept any free copy of Civ 5. heh. :)

$7 where!? TELL ME ABOUT YOUR SECRET STEAM STOCK EXCHANGE. I WILL FIND YOU!!

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By Snail

I find that an appealing idea in an obscure sort of way. Like, part of me wishes that existed not because I would be into that, but because I'd know that there would be people furiously fueling such a service.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BisonHero

@Snail said:

I find that an appealing idea in an obscure sort of way. Like, part of me wishes that existed not because I would be into that, but because I'd know that there would be people furiously fueling such a service.

Similar to the reason that Ryan loves that EVE Online exists but wants absolutely no part in it because it is for crazy people?

But yes, you have neatly summed up why I made this thread, because I desperately want to know if this thing I suggested actually exists, and I'd rather bounce the idea off these forums for a bit before Googling it.

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By Snail

@BisonHero said:

@Snail said:

Similar to the reason that Ryan loves that EVE Online exists but wants absolutely no part in it because it is for crazy people?

But yes, you have neatly summed up why I made this thread, because I desperately want to know if this thing I suggested actually exists, and I'd rather bounce the idea off these forums for a bit before Googling it.

He does? I didn't even know that, but that does sound like Ryan, so I'll believe you. Did he say that in a podcast?

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By 49th

You can pretty much tell how much a game is considered worth on the TF2 trading forum, they often have game trade threads.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#9  Edited By Dagbiker

@BisonHero: Yes, I forgot about that, I havent followed the XCOM digital sale on steam ( preordered the physical copy, it comes with a patch )

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BisonHero

@Snail said:

@BisonHero said:

@Snail said:

He does? I didn't even know that, but that does sound like Ryan, so I'll believe you. Did he say that in a podcast?

Yeah, there have been random times when EVE Online comes up during a podcast or TNT or something, and Ryan generally gives that stance. I get the sense that he knows basically nothing about the game and would look foolish if he talked to one of the developers or a hardcore player of it, but it seems like he really enjoys hearing about the big heists and protests and riots and whatever that have happened a couple times in the past couple years in EVE.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.