Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Ran out of CD Keys for a Game...

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By gearhead

So I bought Digital Combat Simulator: A-10C Warthog about 9 hours ago and upon instillation received the error Failed to Contact Key Sever. Every other person who has bought the game today on the Steam Sale has received the same message. Basically, Steam has run out of CD Keys for the game. This is kind of ridiculous right? I mean I purchased the game, and I can't even play it. Am I in the wrong here for being a little upset?

Avatar image for chadmasterflash
    ChadMasterFlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By ChadMasterFlash

No, you have every right to be upset, you paid for a product and cannot play it. I'm sure Steam will get it fixed relatively quick.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By Justin258

I got that with GTA IV. I sent in a ticket and got one a few hours later.

They'll get you one. Something like this is bound to happen occasionally, don't worry about it.

shiftymagician

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By shiftymagician

Oh man this happened again? I believe this happened to either Prey 1 or Cryostasis (Can't remember which if it even was one of the two). Still, there's something to be said about a simulator game being popular enough to run out of keys in this day and age (even if it was the result of a sale).

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By TruthTellah

@Gearhead: Just send in a ticket and you should get helped within a few hours. This isn't completely unexpected, but hopefully they can get it resolved for anyone else purchasing it.

bishna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By bishna

Being upset is fine. This happened to me with Arma 2 Operation Arrowhead when I wanted to try out Day Z. It resolved itself the next morning.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By gearhead

So it's been almost four days now and the only thing that's happened is the developer saying they ran out of CD Keys. This is pretty poor.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Oldirtybearon

digital distribution is so great guys.

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By UitDeToekomst

things break. it is an unfortunate fact and an inconvenient truth. follow ordinary procedure to contact those who administer the areas that have been affected and the problem is likely to be fixed fairly quickly. i fail to see how posting randomly on an unrelated message board will have any impact on anything. godspeed, young one.

envane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By envane

its a shame you cant activate it , because then you could just use the module for dcs world without even bothering with steam .. but it needs to be activated etc.. :( i would hassle the shit out of eagle dynamics and get them to issue you a regular non steam cd-key, they have basicly abandoned their games on steam , as there have been numerous updates to the game engine and flight model for dcs world and the respective modules .

ohwell :/

and also ... its still holiday season , not getting any response for 4 days is normal

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.