Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Steam Holiday Sale 2014 - Master Thread

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Belegorm

Moderator Edit - Let's use this topic as a central place of discussion for everything related to the sale so we can keep redundant threads to a minimum. Thanks, and remember your sale strategy!

Woke up this morning hoping the sale would be live, but was disappointed. That disappointment is now gone as the sale just went live!

What are you hoping to get at a discount? I really want to get the Ultra Street Fighter IV DLC upgrade, 15% off atm but could have a flash sale. Might cave for the 15% off deal though.

Also hoping Divinity: Original Sin goes on a flash sale, I've heard great things about it but wanted to catch it on sale.

No Caption Provided

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Cirdain

Metal Gear V: Ground Zeroes has released on PC too!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/311340/

I'm gonna buy Dustforce DX & The Bridge instead cos' I've been really wanting to play them. I'll probably ask my brother to get metal gear for (early) Christmas.

Minimum:

• OS: Windows Vista SP2 x64, Windows 7 x64, Windows 8 x64 (64-bit OS Required)
    • Processor: Core i5-4460 (3.40GHz) or better *Quad-Core or better
    • Memory: 4 GB RAM
    • Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 (4GB) or better (DirectX 11 graphics card required)
    • DirectX: Version 11
    • Hard Drive: 4 GB available space
    • Sound Card: DirectX 9.0c compatible sound card (Surround Sound 5.1)

Wow, I just found the Nvidia Graphical Breakdown. It's INTENSE.

blzzzrrttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I'm not sure what I'm expecting, or even hoping, to get on sale. I suppose I'll just wait and see.

The store front is straight up non-responsive like it always is on the first day of a big sale but if you check out your wishlist you should be able to see some sale prices. I haven't taken a good look yet but I did see Revengeance for like $6. I'm probably gonna pick that up.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, actually I do want to get Dustforce DX as well, going to wait until the store is a little less... broken though. The search box isn't working properly, adding games to my wishlist is broken and I just saw a game for 50% on the front page but then it was only 25% off when I looked at it.

But, it's as you'd expect really/

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Apparently everyone else wants to buy Endless Legend too.

AlmostSwedish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, it must be live because I sure can't connect to it.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I have been waiting for a Shovel Knight discount for what feels like forever.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Divine Cybermancy is only $1.00 right now, and Divekick is down to 3.50 ish.
    Seems legit.
    How low does anyone think Wasteland 2 and This War Is Mine will go?

blzzzrrttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mortuss_zero: For Wasteland 2 I'd say as low as $20 if it gets featured and for This War of Mine at least $15 if it gets featured.

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blzzzrrttt: 20 is my magic spot for Wasteland, 15 is definitely fair for This War Is Mine. (hoping for 10 anyway)

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mike

Edited the thread title and moved this topic to the Steam forum. Let's use this one throughout the sale.

s80007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The pre sale auction helped much :) got ground zero for 7 bucks..

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Corevi

I need Ground Zeroes even though I already own it on PS3. Those Extra High lighting effects are almost as beautiful as Kojima.

No Caption Provided

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Divine Cybermancy is only $1.00 right now, and Divekick is down to 3.50 ish.

Seems legit.

How low does anyone think Wasteland 2 and This War Is Mine will go?

I think the most Wasteland 2 has ever been discounted was 33%. It's still a pretty new game, so perhaps we'll see 40%-50% during the sale at some point.

This War of Mine...hard to say. It hasn't really gone on sale before but the developers seem like they are really in touch with things like this, so I expect it to go on pretty significant discount at some point. Just a guess.

BBOYS2231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking about Dungeon of the Endless. Any good?

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By ProfessorEss

I got super addicted to the steam version of PinballFX2 about six months ago when the PvZ table went on sale for 75 cents. My primary goal this Christmas is to nab mad table sales!

And Lego Batman 3. Plus I'll be drinking from time to time so Far Cry 4 might also end up gitting got.

blzzzrrttt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bboys2231: Yes! I got it during the Fall sale and I just started playing it this morning, it's real good!

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm thinking about Dungeon of the Endless. Any good?

Not sure, but it's only 33% off right now. You should probably wait until the very last day of the sale to see if it becomes part of a Daily Deal or Community Choice.

Standard practice for all Steam sale events like this is to never buy anything unless it's a Daily Deal, Flash Sale, Community Choice, or it's the last day of the sale. If you see something like Dungeon of the Endless is on sale until January 2nd, just wait. Chances are extraordinarily high it will receive an even deeper discount if you can wait.

49th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Don't have much money to spend this year but I couldn't resist buying Ground Zeroes for that price.

I'm kind of disappointed that they aren't doing the F2P items anymore for crafting badges though, I liked trying to get the TF2 items and selling the ones I didn't want.

Brake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I've got so much to play already! Kinda not in the mood to buy more. However. I might still go for Shovel Knight, Far Cry 4, Divinity: Original Sin and some other stuff. If the price is right.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Bocam

GreenManGaming code - 20% off, works on MGSVGZ DECEMB-202014-GREENM

Moderator edit...I seriously hope you did not just try to slip your referral link.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Sessh

I really only plan to get a single game this year, which is This War of Mine, since something weird happened for the only other game I wanted to get.

After voting for Hack 'n Slash on the first Community Vote I had it gifted to me just a few minutes later. Sadly I just accepted the gift without looking (because honestly I was confused), so I have no clue who sent me that game or whatever the hell else happened.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cc8838532af0
    deactivated-5cc8838532af0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Hoping for Endless Legend, Massive Chalice, and Icewind Dale remake.

I'm still bummed I missed the original massive chalice sale.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Belegorm

@mb: The exception to that rule are games released in the last few months... USF4 is 15% off, I believe this is the first time it's been on sale at all, and I don't expect it to go on a flash sale.

Nictel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Ah that's why I couldn't get into Steam. Not planning to buy anything. Except maybe FFXIII just to have it on all three platforms without actually having completed it xD.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got me flight simulator x, I wanted a nice helicopter sim and the DCS modules are just too effin expensive.

flameboy84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping Alpha Protocol goes dirt cheap...never played it and because of @rorie it now gets mentioned in this community so often that I just have to play it now! See it's 50% but until 2nd January so there's a chance it will go cheaper

Mortuss_Zero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Mortuss_Zero

Anyone think Avernum 4, 5, 6 or Escape from the Pit would be a good entry point into the series? I've never played any of them, but they seem like cool old school rpgs and are on deep discount.

sadsadsad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crono said:

Man... flash sales every 12 hours, community sales every 24? Seems like they are doing way less sales. I mean, I'm not upset or anything since this goes on til Jan 2, but it just seems like they are cutting back quite a bit...

Most of the flash sales and community sales were repeats, some games had something like 4-5 "special" deals.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want a nice clean discount on transistor and maybe the street fighter ultra upgrade and Metal gear ground zeroes. I can get is dirt cheap on greenmangaming but... I have no idea if I can run it.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Fredchuckdave

@flameboy84: You can get Alpha Protocol used for like 1 buck, assuming you have any console. If not it's pretty cheap on Amazon as well. If you do wind up playing it I suggest playing on easy with shotguns, really fun/amusing and none of the frustration involved. Obviously go with the lumberjack beard.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#36  Edited By AlexW00d
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam: I'm going to assume that was an oversight and your part and you didn't just try to slip your GMG referral code into the forums.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@mb: It wasn't even mine.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bocam said:

@mb: It wasn't even mine.

No problem...it's been edited out. Anyway, no referral links please.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This will be the first year I'll be participating in the Steam Sales. Hoping New Vegas Ultimate Edition goes down to $5 again. A discount on Valkyria Chronicles would be cool too.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Picked up ground zeroes cause it was on a discount and I'm interested to see it.

Sin4profit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super2j: what's your system. If you're on PC type 'dxdiag' into your start menu then look at your system tab and display tab.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ooh massive chalice sale please, im quite interested in it but also kinda want to stick it to the steam forum goers who consider DF satan and would also like to contribute to brad muir's :D

Revengenance will most certainly get picked up as well.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only picking up Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance today. There are a lot of games on my wish list on sale like Broforce and Mount Your Friends, but they aren't part of any Daily Deals or Community Choice sales so I'm waiting for lower prices, or January 2nd.

The worst thing is buying a game at 40% off, only to have it drop to 85% off the next day.

newmoneytrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I got Dungeon Siege for $1.74 so it has already been a successful steam sale

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cirdain said:

@super2j: what's your system. If you're on PC type 'dxdiag' into your start menu then look at your system tab and display tab.

I am on my laptop. It has a i5-2430m and nvidia GT 540m.

For the last 3 years, I ran most games around 720p and on medium setting( depending on the game, I have pushed it to higher resolutions/settings). I think I am out of luck on this unless they pulled a dark souls 2 and totally over shot what you need to run the game.

Pliny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just found out about isthereanydeal.com which has already pointed me to some better deals than the Steam sale. You can import your wishlist and it polls like two dozen sites to find the best price.

For example, right now on nuuvem you can get a steam code for Shadow of Mordor Premium edition for ~$25: http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/23...remium-edition or the regular version for ~$17 http://www.nuuvem.com.br/produto/20...adow-of-mordor. Don't let the Portuguese scare you, you can pay with paypal and everything will be fine. Make your account before trying to check out.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cirdain

@super2j said:

@cirdain said:

For the last 3 years, I ran most games around 720p and on medium setting( depending on the game, I have pushed it to higher resolutions/settings). I think I am out of luck on this unless they pulled a dark souls 2 and totally over shot what you need to run the game.

Nvidia's graphics grid for MGS5:GZ

Hmmm... yeah. Sorry. I don't think that the gt 540 would cut it..... actually... no the 540 isn't an dx11 card and the cpu is too slow. sorry.

super2j

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By super2j

@cirdain said:

@super2j said:

@cirdain said:

Hmmm... yeah. Sorry. I don't think that the gt 540 would cut it..... actually... no the 540 isn't an dx11 card and the cpu is too slow. sorry.

I can confirm without a doubt that the 540m (which is a laptop model) has dx11. I confirmed it with dxdiag and by looking up my specific model. However, this doesn't change much, thanks for checking.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.