Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Steam

Concept »

A digital distribution service owned by Valve Corporation. Originally created to distribute Valve's own games, Steam has since become the de facto standard for digital distribution of PC games.

Valve Has its Own Operating System Now in SteamOS

Brackynews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 48

#251  Edited By Brackynews

@spiritof said:

My only problem with a Steam Box/OS is the same as its ever been, how do they deal with the ever evolving system specs of PC gaming?

Keep it cheap to the point of being almost disposable, or at least tradable, like consoles but at a handheld price point.

Whether you buy a new box, or a new thing that swaps into the box, it's all the same if it's cheap enough. Make consumers think less, and you'll get more sales. It just backfired on Nintendo because people thought Wii U was an expansion. But I own at least 4 versions of Nintendo handhelds, even though there's a certain amount of backward compatibility.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

I have no idea what these mysterious "living room machines" are but I'd be interested in using this for my PC.

xymox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

I have no idea what these mysterious "living room machines" are but I'd be interested in using this for my PC.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

"SteamOS combines the rock-solid architecture of Linux..."

ROCK-SOLID?!

Nethlem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@fminus said:

@flacracker said:

@fascismo said:

So this is probably a stupid question, but you won't actually get to play any games on steamOS unless a Linux version exists, right? I'm all for circumventing Windows 8, but there just aren't enough games that I can run outside of Windows for switching to make sense to me

There aren't enough games on the PS4 or XOne but that doesn't stop people, or even maybe yourself, from buying it though. People will buy those consoles and games will get made for them. People will switch to SteamOS now that it is being marketed and push and games will get made for it.

You compare this to PS4 & Xbox One? Both consoles are guaranteed to get a massive library through their lifespan, developers/publishers are working to create games specific for that platform, on the other hand we have just another distribution of Ubuntu called Steam OS and you expect developers to jump on it, just because it's Valve? If developers wanted to create games for Linux they already would have done that without waiting for Valve, even if Linux gains 10% of games because of this, and I guess a lot of indies will bite the bait, it's still nothing compared to Windows.

But that OS wont ever be on my PCs, simply because I don't just use them to play games and so do other people.

Besides looking at the track record of Valve fixing issues I don't really trust them that this thing will work without problems, especially cause it's Linux and we know how things work on that OS, seldom and one day yes one day not. Steam isn't able to properly fullscreen on a portrait oriented monitor since it exists, the bug is mentioned on Steam forums almost daily and they keep ignoring it or are unable to fix it, well, an approach like that wont fly with an OS, on another note I have a 21:9 TV among other will the OS scale with that screen, I know it does with Windows but I seriously doubt Steam OS will.

Calling this "just another Ubuntu distribution" is grossly understating the potential all this could have.
    Even if SteamOS and a "Steam Box" start out only being streaming clients, for a Windows gaming PC somewhere else in the house, this is still great news.

Long term Valve can keep on strengthening the Linux support, they have enough experience on the Hardware level to do some magic with the graphics API, not much to support out there anyway, Nvidia and AMD. I've always waited for Valve to take exactly that step, having it all based on Linux makes way more sense then trying to build something new from the ground up.

Linux gaming support has been on the rise for quite a few years and this is gonna help pushing it further.

Too bad about you not being able to fullscreen the Steam interface, that sounds like something really really critical that's massively impacting your ability to use Steam, so it's really a wonder that Valve hasn't gotten around fixing such an non-issue.

Corvak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Streaming never worked out for OnLive - but SteamOS removes the internet from the equation. You're simply streaming from another PC on your network, instead of bouncing all over the internet and adding potential weak links between the source and your steam box.

Using SteamOS in a box that purely streams could be very affordable ($100 or less) for people who own a gaming PC but dont want to put it in their living room, or want to keep their current setup for some games. It also opens the door for lower end media center PCs being able to also stream games from a gaming PC elsewhere in the home.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By Budwyzer

@besetment said:

My steam library is in the hundreds, and all of them are Windows games. Why would I "stream" them to a SteamOS machine when I can just play them on my Windows PC? It's already hooked up to a TV.

Not everyone has a TV hooked up to their gaming PC. My gaming PC, for example, is in my office. I have HDMI over Ethernet extenders going to the living room to my 70" screen, along with a USB over ethernet extender as well.

The problem here is that the extender creates a strange resolution conversion and will only use 80" of the screen. Zooming makes it too big, yadda yadda. Also, video/audio extender takes 2 network cables. So that PC is using up 4 network cables. Whereas, putting SteamOS on my already decent HTPC and streaming the content over the network should fix my resolution issues as well as free up 3 of those network cables!

Plus, if someone at the XBMC community were able to create an add-on that pulls up my Steam library and I could start a game from within XBMC itself instead of having to jump over to Big Picture Mode, that would be boss.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2kings said:

@jayjonesjunior said:

@besetment said:

My steam library is in the hundreds, and all of them are Windows games. Why would I "stream" them to a SteamOS machine when I can just play them on my Windows PC? It's already hooked up to a TV.

Maybe it is not meant for you, Mr. Center of the Universe.

He makes a good point and you're being kind of a dick. To replace your OS just to take advantage of this would make sense if it offered something more than streaming to another PC. Otherwise it seems redundant to say the least. With his PC hooked up to a TV, as is mine, SteamOS is being directly targeted at people like he and I. Who else would it be meant for?

Not you. You actually just ran around in a circle and contradicted yourself. You said it's redundant for you install, yet it is somehow directly targeted at people like yourself.

No, this seems more targeted at people that have an HTPC in the living room and would like an easy way to stream their games into said space. Build a Gaming Rig Server, and play from any room in the house. Maybe even from anywhere in the world, depending on the robustness of the streaming application.

Avatar image for tinygrasshopper
    TinyGrasshopper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#262  Edited By TinyGrasshopper

I think it should be noted that the SteamOS is mostly regular Ubuntu. When you look at the valve repo, there are very few packages in the repo.

I anticipate that it would be something along the lines of Lubuntu or Xubuntu where it's mostly the same OS as Ubuntu but configured to be lean and only ship with the packages that are needed to accomplish its goal, which is to get you to Big Picture as soon as possible after pressing the power button. I figure the ISO when it is released will be very small.

Also since it would be mostly the same as Ubuntu, I think you would be able to turn the default SteamOS into regular Ubuntu relatively easily and Steam Desktop can be treated like another desktop environment that sits alongside Ubuntu's Unity or LXDE.

To educate the non-Linux users: Desktop Linux supports multiple desktop environments. A desktop environment is a different user interface. So when you get to the login screen you normally login to Ubuntu's default Unity which is the one that looks like MacOSX with the dock on the left hand side. But it is really easy to install a lighter one like LXDE and then you can just choose it at login.

I imagine that since it's a Linux distro and will be relatively open, Big Picture will be the default desktop environment on a standard Ubuntu but with no Ubuntu or Canonical branding anywhere, and it would be trivial to add the Ubuntu Unity or any other desktop environment to it and just switch back and forth.

I think that's what people are confused about. The interface is going to look console-y, but it will still be a PC OS. I think you'll be able to do all the stuff that you can on any other PC operating system, like install packages, install desktop environments, run a browser, install VMs, run a server, all that nerdy stuff.

And as for the people who think that there aren't PC gamers that want a console-like experience, I can't speak for other people, but for me, the older I've gotten the lazier and wearier I've gotten. I want to have the option of upgradeability and maintainability that comes with PC gaming, but I don't want the hassle of actually having to take care of the PC. I want something in-between console and PC. I think there's a space for this.

And the valve approach makes sense, take the most tinkerable OS in Linux and like Ubuntu, make up the difference in the ease of use department, but take it to another level for gaming than Ubuntu would.

Paraptorkeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Paraptorkeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

I love how so many people are excited...

...but I remember the Steam launch as well.

We'll see how it goes whenever the thing is released.

colin_lashley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

finally we kinda get the best of both worlds. kinda...

Creme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

NekuSakuraba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#268  Edited By NekuSakuraba

I don't really "get" the point of needing a Steam OS. I mean, I guess I kinda do if you're playing in the living room? But does it bring any benefit at all to normal PC users or like big picture mode is it just a better UI for your tv?

Avatar image for captain_lone_wolf
    Captain_Lone_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So does this mean that steam games will run more smoothly on this OS? Also can Linux users finaly play games that they couldn't before? Like Call of Duty, ect

Avatar image for captain_lone_wolf
    Captain_Lone_Wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@markwahlberg: He means that the OS is built for big screens, hence what you would have in your living room. Well if your that lucky.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.