Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

My Quest to perfect Guile ..

• 136 results
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By turbomonkey138

So i think its time to actually start improving with guile now i am fairly confident with the fightstick . I looked back at a few of Lordofultima's threads and blogs and basically anyone can get good at street fighter if they are willing to read and practice . 
    So I'll be posting my progress in this thread .

The first thing i need to get down are Guile's basic combos 

No Caption Provided

If you have any tips etc please post them in here it will be good to compile helpful info on guile in one thread . 

I played a few matches today with Scooper 

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

So basically he kicked my ass . But he did show me a few cool things with Guile . if any one else wants to fight me I'd appreciate it as i think its a great way to get better at the game :) 

Oh and here is my win/loose record ...... prepare  yourself ... 

No Caption Provided
    AndrewJD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#2  Edited By AndrewJD

46% isn't terrible. I think mine is around 55 but it doesn't matter, I'm a lot better than when I 1st started, that's the important thing.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scooper

The Mighty Seth!
    Fear my Rufus!
    It was fun messing around with random characters.  Actualy your Guile is improoving fast as shit. Really cool.

Lemme say something about those combos on that sheet there, some of them are stupid and you don't need them.

• Jumping Hard Punch, Crouching Medium Punch, cancel into light kick Flash Kick:
    That's pretty silly. I reccomend Jumping Hard Kick, Crouching Medium Punch, cancel into Hard kick Flash Kick. Not only does it do more damage but it's easier because all you need to do is hit 2 different buttons instead of 3.

• Cross up with jumping light kick, Crouching Medium Punch, Cancel into Light Kick Flash Kick:
      This one's also not very good because there's isn't time to hit confirm from that so if the crossup is blocked or if the medium punch doesn't link then they'll block the flashkick and you'll eat crap. The combo I use in that situation is crossup jumping light kick, crouch light punch, crouch light punch, crouch medium punch, hard flashkick. It's harder to execute but with enough practice the 2x light punch to medium punch isn't that hard at all.

Another combo I use when I crumple someone with a focus attack but wasn't expecting it and don't have charge. It goes:
    Focus attack crumple ("oh shit, it's landed!"), dash forward then instantly start a downback charge, crouch light punch, crouch light punch, crouch medium punch, hard kick flashkick. You have to extend the combo with the 2 light punches to give you enough time for the charge to.. well charge.

By the way 46% is fine mate. Mine's not much better and 46% in a time when most people know the game is good. 46% at launch wouldn't be great since 90% of players were useless but now alot more know the basics.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By LiquidPrince

46% is pretty good especially with Guile.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By Driadon

46% is much much higher then I believe mine to be ( I haven't checked in a while.) Keep it up, you'll be kicking even more ass in no time.

Jayzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By Jayzilla

Spin Drive Smasher when you Sonic Boom equals gg to you sir.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By lordofultima

Mine is like 55%. Doesn't really mean much.

Gargantuan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Gargantuan

I salute you. Guile's super/ultra is impossible! ;) He's one of the coolest SF characters but way too hard to play for me.

My win rate is 22%

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @lordofultima said:
    " Mine is like 55%. Doesn't really mean much. "
    I thought you would have had a really good % lol
    10MP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By 10MP

try chaining 2 lp then linking the third before doing flash kick. lp,lp,mp is pointlessly hard online unless you're super good.

my win rate is 60%. i say this because everyone else did.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Stang

No Caption Provided
    Over 70% now, mwahahahaha *cough* wahahahaha

Just would like to add, I like your style turbomonkey. And screw you Scooper for never wearing a mic when we play.
    10MP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By 10MP

i have a higher win streak(47) and 400 hours exactly nice.

oh and don't do that crap where you do a light sonic boom then walk up behind and do an attack as your only offense. i see all these guiles try it never learning and they keep getting srked in the face.

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Stang
    @10MP: That was taken months ago. Think you still have me beat on the win streak, mine is now 44 I believe. Add 200 more hours/3000 matches to that screenshot and everything will be right :p
    10MP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By 10MP

you should look at shoryuken.com for combos and other. eventhubs seems so useless when compared.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Stang said:

" @10MP: That was taken months ago. Think you still have me beat on the win streak, mine is now 44 I believe. Add 200 more hours/3000 matches to that screenshot and everything will be right :p "

hey stang was this you lol  Did you make a new live account xD

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Stang
    @turbomonkey138: That guy is the sole reason I win as much as I do. He makes shit so easy for me.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Stang said:
    " @turbomonkey138: That guy is the sole reason I win as much as I do. He makes shit so easy for me. "
    love the random ultras from across screen clearly this guy is better than pro
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Stang

Yep, that is the typical live Ken. The flowchart was created for a reason.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jeffsekai

Your Guile is way to basic. I know you're just learning but god. Throw in a few cancels cr.mp xx flash kick is so easy to do and it makes you look a lot better. I know were all making fun of that Ken right now but tbh you werent anything to not laugh at either. Guile is all about making the other person say wtf is going on and how is that working. Work on ur sonic boom motion against a person like that he should never touch you. Guile has the best recovrey on his fireball in the game. use that.

I'd type more but my teacher seems mean.

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Jeffsekai said:
    " Your Guile is way to basic. I know you're just learning but god. Throw in a few cancels cr.mp xx flash kick is so easy to do and it makes you look a lot better. I know were all making fun of that Ken right now but tbh you werent anything to not laugh at either. Guile is all about making the other person say wtf is going on and how is that working. Work on ur sonic boom motion against a person like that he should never touch you. Guile has the best recovrey on his fireball in the game. use that.  I'd type more but my teacher seems mean. "
    I agree my guile is terrible ..... :)
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Thrawn1

who's the best player you've ever played?

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    "

No Caption Provided
    "
    Thats your problem right there compared to say, 

@Stang said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    Over 70% now, mwahahahaha *cough* wahahahaha  Just would like to add, I like your style turbomonkey. And screw you Scooper for never wearing a mic when we play. "

Just the sheer amount of match experience is stangering.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @turbomonkey138 said:
    "

No Caption Provided
    "

@Stang said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    Over 70% now, mwahahahaha *cough* wahahahaha  Just would like to add, I like your style turbomonkey. And screw you Scooper for never wearing a mic when we play. "
    Just the sheer amount of match experience is stangering. "
    i best get to work then lol
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By napalm

If you wanna fight tonight, add me: X360GT: Faster Disaster

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Stang
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @turbomonkey138 said:
    "

No Caption Provided
    "

@Stang said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    Just the sheer amount of match experience is stangering. "
    The sad thing is I have over 9000 (fuck I actually used the meme) matches now. You would think I would be be a bit better at this point!
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AniMoney

I think I have like 375 hours and 58ish % win rate.

Avatar image for deactivated-57beb9d651361
    deactivated-57beb9d651361

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

My win rate has dropped so much recently playing Championship mode. Lag and nonsensical opponents kill me.

jaycee13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jaycee13

damn my win rate is around 39%.  
    I just hate winning

Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Stang
    @GetEveryone said:
    " My win rate has dropped so much recently playing Championship mode. Lag and nonsensical opponents kill me. "
    I hear ya. I lose to jump kick-sweep/mashmashmash shoto scrubs more then I do to good opponents.
    mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrjared

Time to start looking up videos of DaggerG and Lamerboi :) 

Actually, everyone should watch DaggerG matches anyway. I'd post some examples but I can't quite think of anything specific off the top of my head because all the matches I've seen of him were in-person. He's by far my favorite player to watch because he basically plays how I want to. He's incredibly patient, picks his spots extremely well and is always very technical. The problem with Guile is that most of his links are 1-frame, meaning that all his best combos are typically not safe to attempt in a real match, even if you're great a p-linking.  

Oh, and DaggerG's preferred anti-air is jump-forward roundhouse. Who does that!? So awesome.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Thrawn1
    @MrJared said:
    " Time to start looking up videos of DaggerG and Lamerboi :)  Actually, everyone should watch DaggerG matches anyway. I'd post some examples but I can't quite think of anything specific off the top of my head because all the matches I've seen of him were in-person. He's by far my favorite player to watch because he basically plays how I want to. He's incredibly patient, picks his spots extremely well and is always very technical. The problem with Guile is that most of his links are 1-frame, meaning that all his best combos are typically not safe to attempt in a real match, even if you're great a p-linking.   Oh, and DaggerG's preferred anti-air is jump-forward roundhouse. Who does that!? So awesome. "
    If I remember correctly you play chun li right? Are there any videos of you playing in tournaments?
    mrjared

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By mrjared
    @Thrawn said: 
    If I remember correctly you play chun li right? Are there any videos of you playing in tournaments? "
    Nope! It's safe to say that the Chun-Li is still considered to be "in the labs." I switched to her fairly late in the game (just before EVO09) and since then I've been taking it easy until Super comes out. I plan on getting very serious when SSF4 comes out and I'm still sticking to Chun. All she needed to be competitive was a decent Ultra and a health boost and she got both of those and then some, so I'm very excited for the next year of play.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @MrJared said:
    " @Thrawn said: 
    If I remember correctly you play chun li right? Are there any videos of you playing in tournaments? "
    Nope! It's safe to say that the Chun-Li is still considered to be "in the labs." I switched to her fairly late in the game (just before EVO09) and since then I've been taking it easy until Super comes out. I plan on getting very serious when SSF4 comes out and I'm still sticking to Chun. All she needed to be competitive was a decent Ultra and a health boost and she got both of those and then some, so I'm very excited for the next year of play. "
    A good Chunners players is formidable . Looking forward to getting beaten by you lol
    Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Thrawn1
    @MrJared said:

" @Thrawn said: 

Nope! It's safe to say that the Chun-Li is still considered to be "in the labs." I switched to her fairly late in the game (just before EVO09) and since then I've been taking it easy until Super comes out. I plan on getting very serious when SSF4 comes out and I'm still sticking to Chun. All she needed to be competitive was a decent Ultra and a health boost and she got both of those and then some, so I'm very excited for the next year of play. "
    Yeah that new ultra looks like it'll move her up the tier list, now they just need to give honda a useable ultra
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By turbomonkey138

I hope Guile's Sonic hurricane's damage is beefed up a little . 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By napalm
    @MrJared said:
    " Time to start looking up videos of DaggerG and Lamerboi :)  Actually, everyone should watch DaggerG matches anyway. I'd post some examples but I can't quite think of anything specific off the top of my head because all the matches I've seen of him were in-person. He's by far my favorite player to watch because he basically plays how I want to. He's incredibly patient, picks his spots extremely well and is always very technical. The problem with Guile is that most of his links are 1-frame, meaning that all his best combos are typically not safe to attempt in a real match, even if you're great a p-linking.   Oh, and DaggerG's preferred anti-air is jump-forward roundhouse. Who does that!? So awesome. "
    I much prefer Fuson909's Guile to DaggerGs. DaggerG is too defensive for my tastes, which is what I remember from the few videos I've seen. Fuson909 rush a lot and is almost exclusively offensive with Guile, and he makes it work by not walking into traps.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By lordofultima
    @Napalm said:
    " @MrJared said:
    I much prefer Fuson909's Guile to DaggerGs. DaggerG is too defensive for my tastes, which is what I remember from the few videos I've seen. Fuson909 rush a lot and is almost exclusively offensive with Guile, and he makes it work by not walking into traps. "
    Fuson is decent, but I haven't seen him play in a VERY long time. DaggerG is the perfect guile imo, how he should be played.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Stang

Geom Modinside plays a damn fine Guile as well. Champion of Cuba or some shit. Youtube him.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By napalm
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " @MrJared said:
    I much prefer Fuson909's Guile to DaggerGs. DaggerG is too defensive for my tastes, which is what I remember from the few videos I've seen. Fuson909 rush a lot and is almost exclusively offensive with Guile, and he makes it work by not walking into traps. "
    Fuson is decent, but I haven't seen him play in a VERY long time. DaggerG is the perfect guile imo, how he should be played. "
    The last tournament he competed in that I saw footage of was one of tourneys at Arcade Infinity back on October. He said he got an internship somewhere doing photography, so he's semi-retired. Also, he used Chun-Li a lot more that time. :/

However, DaggerG does indeed have insane skill and patience. He's the only one I've seen pull off the FADC > Flash Explosion in combat. It was pretty insane.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @lordofultima said:

" @Napalm said:

" @MrJared said:

Fuson is decent, but I haven't seen him play in a VERY long time. DaggerG is the perfect guile imo, how he should be played. "
    I see what you mean . Hes amazing at countering fireballs 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By napalm

I am certainly not denying DaggerG's insane specialty for patience and the ultimate definition of wearing down an opponent, but I just can't do that, and I'm not really interested in watching players play like that.

Fuson909

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lordofultima
    @Napalm: Well, DaggerG certainly can apply pressure in corners better than any Guile I've seen, so it's not all sit around and do nothing with him, he's well-rounded. 

One of the cooler matches from Evo: 

More dope example: 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By napalm
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Napalm: Well, DaggerG certainly can apply pressure in corners better than any Guile I've seen, so it's not all sit around and do nothing with him, he's well-rounded. "
    I didn't say... all he did was turtle? I just prefer a more rushdown-style Guile.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By lordofultima
    @Napalm said:

" @lordofultima said:

" @Napalm: Well, DaggerG certainly can apply pressure in corners better than any Guile I've seen, so it's not all sit around and do nothing with him, he's well-rounded. "
    I didn't say... all he did was turtle? I just prefer a more rushdown-style Guile. "
    Never said you did, just sayin'. He's poetry in motion. I can see why you wouldn't enjoy that style though, not a lot of people do. Guess I'm just weird.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By napalm
    @lordofultima said:
    " @Napalm said:

" @lordofultima said:

I didn't say... all he did was turtle? I just prefer a more rushdown-style Guile. "
    Never said you did, just sayin'. He's poetry in motion. I can see why you wouldn't enjoy that style though, not a lot of people do. Guess I'm just weird. "
    It certainly requires a metric tone of patience, which is something I don't have a metric ton of, haha. I just feel like the super patient "wait for your opponent to mess up" style is something I see enough of, even if DaggerG does it the best. I prefer players who like to get right in there and start kicking teeth in.
    j0nnyDiGITAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By j0nnyDiGITAL

Hope you've been working on your Guile Napalm. Last time we played all you were doing is blocking ;]

Oh come on! It's a joke!

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By napalm
    @j0nnyDiGITAL said:
    " Hope you've been working on your Guile Napalm. Last time we played all you were doing is blocking ;]  Oh come on! It's a joke! "
    it would be a better joke if it were at least halfway true...
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Napalm said:
    " @j0nnyDiGITAL said:
    " Hope you've been working on your Guile Napalm. Last time we played all you were doing is blocking ;]  Oh come on! It's a joke! "
    it would be a better joke if it were at least halfway true... "
    Weren't you the guy who said Guile had a faster jump ? ...
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By napalm
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " @j0nnyDiGITAL said:
    Weren't you the guy who said Guile had a faster jump ? ... "
    I don't know, but I highly advise you to not listen to what anybody has said that I said. I said dumb shit when I first got here, and idiots feel the need to throw it in my face at least once a week. It makes me wonder why the fuck I still even visit these forums.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Stang
    @Napalm said:
    " @turbomonkey138 said:
    " @Napalm said:
    " @j0nnyDiGITAL said:
    Weren't you the guy who said Guile had a faster jump ? ... "
    I don't know, but I highly advise you to not listen to what anybody has said that I said. I said dumb shit when I first got here, and idiots feel the need to throw it in my face at least once a week. It makes me wonder why the fuck I still even visit these forums. "
    Because you love me.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.