Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Jul 18, 2008

After nearly a decade in hiatus, Capcom's signature mainline fighting game series resurfaces with its fourth main installment, combining the traditional 2D gameplay with modern fully-3D graphics.

My Quest to perfect Guile ..

• 136 results
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By Baillie
    @Scooper: It's just the weird setup I have. Since posting this, I have went and mapped it to my Left Trigger. (Used to be All Kicks) 

I figured it was my least used button so it was the one I sacrificed. I have LB as Focus, RB as HK, RT as All Punches. ABXY = The rest. 

It was most comfortable to me, also I find it difficult to use LB and LT during a combo, etc. 

Either way, it's really weird, annoying but it's what I use!
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By Scooper
    @Baillie said:
    " @Scooper: It's just the weird setup I have. Since posting this, I have went and mapped it to my Left Trigger. (Used to be All Kicks)  I figured it was my least used button so it was the one I sacrificed. I have LB as Focus, RB as HK, RT as All Punches. ABXY = The rest.  It was most comfortable to me, also I find it difficult to use LB and LT during a combo, etc.  Either way, it's really weird, annoying but it's what I use! "
    You really should try and get away from a wierd configuration like that because it is pretty limiting. I use a 360 controller and have the controlls as:

A = Light Kick
    B = Medium Kick
    RB = Heavy Kick
    RT = X3 Kicks

X = Light Punch
    Y = Medium Punch
    LB = Heavy Punch
    LT = X3 Punches

It works well. You really don't need a seperate button for Focus or throw because for them I'll put the tip of my thumb on the highest button (X for throw, Y for Focus) then then the pad of my thumb on the other button and I'm able to do focuses pretty much 100% unless I'm nervous and fighting someone like Stang.

Speaking of Stang I think he also used a funky controll setup when he was using a pad, I bet he wasn't that jazzed though because you really need all the buttons if you wanna play at your best.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Baillie

I've tried tons of times to do something like that, but I just can't get to grips with the LB and LT buttons.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Scooper
    @Baillie said:
    " I've tried tons of times to do something like that, but I just can't get to grips with the LB and LT buttons. "
    Bummer. I also have a harder time pressing those buttons just because I'm not as dextrous with my left index finger as I'd like. Luckily Hard Punch, for me, isn't used that much apart from anti-airs and spin knuckles and when I do need to press all 3 punches for say an Ultra is works alrite. It does unfortunately mean I must use Medium Punch if I want to focus cancel a SRK because I don't have the ability to hit heavy punch too precisely. That looses me out on a little damage on SRK's but that hasn't been a big hinderence for me. It's only a little bit of damage.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#105  Edited By lordofultima
    @Baillie said:

" @Scooper: It's just the weird setup I have. Since posting this, I have went and mapped it to my Left Trigger. (Used to be All Kicks)  I figured it was my least used button so it was the one I sacrificed. I have LB as Focus, RB as HK, RT as All Punches. ABXY = The rest.  It was most comfortable to me, also I find it difficult to use LB and LT during a combo, etc.  Either way, it's really weird, annoying but it's what I use! "

This blows my mind, MP not mapped? Considering Ryu has an amazing crouching strong punch, I just can't fathom. Fierce attacks should be on bumpers, and you should drop one button focus. Since fierce attacks are always extremely deliberate and far between, if you don't like using shoulder buttons it's not a super big deal, since those normal moves are used the least. Roundhouse and 3K should always be on the left side unless you have a character that uses kicks a lot and has a kick-activated ultra.
    Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Baillie
    @lordofultima: Yeah, it means I can't combo some things and I've very rarely done his jumping MP which is awesome. I use fierce a lot, I don't know why. Since I've had the setup for so long, I've had to depend on them. After this long with it, it's really hard to change it.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#107  Edited By lordofultima
    @Baillie said:
    " @lordofultima: Yeah, it means I can't combo some things and I've very rarely done his jumping MP which is awesome. I use fierce a lot, I don't know why. Since I've had the setup for so long, I've had to depend on them. After this long with it, it's really hard to change it. "
    Just like learning a stick, you just have to force yourself to use a layout you're not familiar with. In time you become comfortable with it and can enjoy medium punch.
    Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#108  Edited By Heartagram

Turbo we should play some...My shitty Honda against your somewhat decent guile?

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#109  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Heartagram said:
    " Turbo we should play some...My shitty Honda against your somewhat decent guile? "
    Sure man . Is your gamertag Heartagram ?
    Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#110  Edited By Heartagram
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " @Heartagram said:
    " Turbo we should play some...My shitty Honda against your somewhat decent guile? "
    Sure man . Is your gamertag Heartagram ? "

Im already on your friends list Heartagram1028
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Heartagram said:
    " @turbomonkey138 said:
    " @Heartagram said:
    Sure man . Is your gamertag Heartagram ? "
    Im already on your friends list Heartagram1028 "
    Ah cool just checking
    demontium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#112  Edited By demontium
    @turbomonkey138: Mine is about 53, so I am splitting even, but I use Rufus, who is much less complicated than guile and takes way less skill as far as I am concerned. 

Either Way I hope you accomplish perfecting guile, god knows it aint easy.
    sho76und3wd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By sho76und3wd

Keep it up.  We all start somewhere.  My best advice is to just keep learning.  Try not to get stuck in a rut and doing the same things over and over.  Perfect your combos and try and apply them when appropriate. 

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#114  Edited By napalm

:23 - Bison can be Sonic Boom'd out of his Psycho Crusher. If it is an EX, then you need an EX Boom to match it.
    1:01 - Overhead attacks are great for getting a free hit on downback M. Bison players. I usually follow it up with a Fierce attack.
    1:42 - Guile's j.FP is a great attack if you prefer to use a standard move to knock an M. Bison out of an actual aerial attack, or just hitting them when they jump. This is a good attack if you think an air throw is too risky.
    1:42 - 1:50 - The key to dominating your opponent is always hitting them with a stream of attacks one after another, preventing them from doing anything and eating all of your attacks. 
    2:04 - If you block the Psycho Crusher, this leaves M. Bison wide open for attack. I opted for a Somersault Kick as it ended the round.
    2:14 - By moving back while he does the EX Body Splash, M. Bison lands right in front of you, so you can definitely follow up with a Fierce Attack.
    2:45 - I got lucky landing Guile's Ultra. M Bison would have blocked it because by the time it starts up, Bison is already on the ground and can block. I suspect he tried to poke and that's why I was able to get it. Don't always think that because your opponent is mid-air you'll actually get them with an Ultra move. More times than not by the time the move is in motion, your opponent is already on the ground, blocking.
    3:00 - s.FP is a great attack for warding off air attacks from Bison.
    3:36 - c.FP is also a great anti-air attack. Get used to using this more than Guile's Somersault Kick. It doesn't trade with much.
    4:32 - Weak links can be Somersault Kicked through.
    4:38 - Another example of the downside of the Psycho Crusher, you can immediately start a combo as soon as they pass by you on block, opening up an M. Bison for a meaty attack.
    5:06 - Guile's Ultra can be used to break through mashy players and weak links. This tactic isn't something I learned until recently, but I highly suggest staying away from it because it's quite dangerous.
    6:25 - Standing block can be used to ward off most of M. Bison's air attacks, except for the EX Headstomp, (which I think can go through standing blocks). Guile doesn't always need to downback in a fight!
    7:02 - Aaaand Guile can also air throw M. Bison out of most his air attacks, except for the EX Headstomp.

Admittedly, this M. Bison isn't very good, but he at least allowed me to show some weaknesses in his game.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By Scooper
    @Napalm: Why taunt in the 2nd round. It makes you look like a knob. Also, alot of your stuff is so random and unsafe like the wakeup Ultra and random EX flashkicks and barely any of them got punished with anything. That Bison was awfull, I think I could play a better Bison then that.

That is a Guile VS Bison match though, so credit for that.
    napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By napalm

Indeed. That is why I added the footnotes, which is stuff that works most of the time. Read the footnotes next time, because I establish everything you just said.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#117  Edited By Driadon
    @Napalm: Though not the greatest Bison, the video does show some great ways to keep the pressure on while playing Guile, which Turbomonkey has shown before that he needs to implement. Good stuff.
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Stang

The best Guile I have ever played vs a member of Empire Arcadia using Bison. Hiro rage quit on me in championship mode a few weeks ago, my life is complete!

There are 11 videos in this set I think.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By turbomonkey138

man my practice is going to suffer this week . I have to write several scripts for out TV studio  : /

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Scooper
    @turbomonkey138: You got that FKxxSuper on lock now. Good stuff!
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Scooper said:
    " @turbomonkey138: You got that FKxxSuper on lock now. Good stuff! "
    Sonic booms come out 9/10 :D
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Scooper
    @turbomonkey138 said:
    " @Scooper said:
    " @turbomonkey138: You got that FKxxSuper on lock now. Good stuff! "
    Sonic booms come out 9/10 :D "
    Try and work on your zoning game next. It's one of Guile's best strengths.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By turbomonkey138

Good idea . And looking back on some of our matches today its getting closer each time :)

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By Scooper
    @turbomonkey138: It certainly is. When Stang started playing he was cack and I'd beat him most of the time easily but about a month later I couldn't beat him at all. It's all about the practice.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Scooper said:
    " @turbomonkey138: It certainly is. When Stang started playing he was cack and I'd beat him most of the time easily but about a month later I couldn't beat him at all. It's all about the practice. "
    I'll upload the matches tomorrow .
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Stang
    @Scooper: What is cack? o.O
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By AniMoney
    @Stang said:
    " @Scooper: What is cack? o.O "
    English shit. 

No really.
    HDTran

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128  Edited By HDTran

I signed up for giantbomb and haven't done much and have never signed in ever again until now since the site began. Just wanted to give you props for your hard work, keep it up. It's hard for me to watch you struggle through these growing pains because I did it back in SF2, but just from your videos alone, it seems like what you're missing more than anything is the use of normals. Your joystick technique is also something you should tighten.

A few things I saw off the bat:

• midscreen, you can use b + MK to create some space-- because you're already holding back, you are charging up for a boom as well, so you can do b+MK > boom or b+MK > b+MK > boom, etc. You can boom and then go b + MK again to create more and more space
    • likewise, you can regain space, there are many moves for this such as f + MK, but the more useful one for beginners is probably b + LK, this will hop you forward and you can basically b + LK into a boom or whatever you want
    • mix those two techniques up to move around the map and control spacing, you don't want to constantly sit and do nothing (although that's effective against players with unsafe offenses that you can punish because the only thing they know how to do is jump in)
    • you can also use normals so that you don't move while you're holding back (so you can be standing and block jump-ins and not have to crouch all day), use normals like s.LP or whatever to stay one place--for example, keep tapping s.LP and hold back, when you feel like releasing a boom, hit f+any punch and you'll release a boom. Since you were in s.LP animation the entire time you charged, you will not have moved anywhere.
    • treat sonic booms not just as projectiles (which EX booms are great at), but also as a frontal shield to allow you to do mixups (by following behind it and then doing something after it lands/is blocked)--start setting up your opponent with a boom either close or ontop of them, you can do c . MP > Sonic Boom for example. After the sonic boom, you can mix it up between the following:
    1. s.HP - good for stuffing jumps and slower attacks after someone gets hit by or blocks a sonic boom
    2. s.HK - quicker than s.HP, can't really catch jumpers, but can stuff things better
    3. throw - sometimes people get so scared that you can just throw them
    4. c.MK - quick long range poke, can boom again after and start the mixup fun over
    5. c.MP - same as MK, but less range, quicker speed, can boom again to start mixup fun over
    6. f+MP - overhead attack for people you know are crouching
    7. c.MK > f+MP - worth a mention since it's a string that actually works and can confuse some people
    8. if you're throwing your booms from far away > dash or b+LK, etc. to close some distance/create pressure, remember that your ideal range is for you to follow up your booms with mixups, c.HP jump ins, etc.
    • don't rely on flash kick too much, flash kick just isn't that good--sure you can anti-air someone that's very obvious (especially if they're sitting over you or just being stupid and jumping over and over), but most of the time Guile can solve anti-air issues with a c.HP. You can also do air throws if you predict that they're just going to jump blindly. But really, rely more on c.HP or just space back out with things such as b + MK and then lay a boom. It's not worth crouching all game just to get a flash kick.
    • again, move around--you really need to, sitting there only lets you beat people that can't do anything, but jump (I'm sure you've seen match videos with guile already, so you know what I mean)
    • remember, Guile has only 2 special moves for a reason--he has fantastic normals
    • the game is not about combos, I mean sure, you need combos to maximize your damage when you have opportunities where you should be hitting him hard--but it's definitely not where your sole practice should be in. The only beginning combo you really need is probably c.MP > sonic boom. Yes it's not always guaranteed (based on range, etc.) and yes, it's not as good as c.MP > flash kick in terms of damage, but it's the easiest one for you to use at this point in the game. c.MP > boom gives you a basic cancel, you don't have to hit confirm it (ie. making sure the c.MP lands before you follow it up) and you're generally safe afterwards to do mixups after the boom. To a lesser extent, many other moves can help you accomplish this, even if it's not a combo. c. MK, b + LK, etc. followed by a boom will let you stay relatively safe
    • when you throw your booms and flash kicks, don't flick it and fling your hand all the way out, you always want your hand around the ball--that doesn't mean you should have a grip on it, you can let it go, but only very quickly and never with your hand far away from the stick: to see some stick holding techniques go to  (three-finger grip is most common in my opinion, especially with larger hands)
      http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/jul/08/tips-switching-pad-joystick/

A Japanese match video showing what I mean:

turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Stang said:
    " @Scooper: What is cack? o.O "
    It means you were wank ...
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Stang
    @turbomonkey138: Haha you explain one English term with another, this is going to go on forever!
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Stang said:
    " @turbomonkey138: Haha you explain one English term with another, this is going to go on forever! "
    Basically you lost all the time when you first started . That's what cack and wank mean .... in a way
    Stang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Stang
    @turbomonkey138: Ah I see. Well, now i only lose 25% of the time! Take that! :evil grin:
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @HDTran said:

"   
      I signed up for giantbomb and haven't done much and have never signed in ever again until now since the site began. Just wanted to give you props for your hard work, keep it up. It's hard for me to watch you struggle through these growing pains because I did it back in SF2, but just from your videos alone, it seems like what you're missing more than anything is the use of normals. Your joystick technique is also something you should tighten.

A few things I saw off the bat:

• midscreen, you can use b + MK to create some space-- because you're already holding back, you are charging up for a boom as well, so you can do b+MK > boom or b+MK > b+MK > boom, etc. You can boom and then go b + MK again to create more and more space
    • likewise, you can regain space, there are many moves for this such as f + MK, but the more useful one for beginners is probably b + LK, this will hop you forward and you can basically b + LK into a boom or whatever you want
    • mix those two techniques up to move around the map and control spacing, you don't want to constantly sit and do nothing (although that's effective against players with unsafe offenses that you can punish because the only thing they know how to do is jump in)
    • you can also use normals so that you don't move while you're holding back (so you can be standing and block jump-ins and not have to crouch all day), use normals like s.LP or whatever to stay one place--for example, keep tapping s.LP and hold back, when you feel like releasing a boom, hit f+any punch and you'll release a boom. Since you were in s.LP animation the entire time you charged, you will not have moved anywhere.
    • treat sonic booms not just as projectiles (which EX booms are great at), but also as a frontal shield to allow you to do mixups (by following behind it and then doing something after it lands/is blocked)--start setting up your opponent with a boom either close or ontop of them, you can do c . MP > Sonic Boom for example. After the sonic boom, you can mix it up between the following:
    1. s.HP - good for stuffing jumps and slower attacks after someone gets hit by or blocks a sonic boom
    2. s.HK - quicker than s.HP, can't really catch jumpers, but can stuff things better
    3. throw - sometimes people get so scared that you can just throw them
    4. c.MK - quick long range poke, can boom again after and start the mixup fun over
    5. c.MP - same as MK, but less range, quicker speed, can boom again to start mixup fun over
    6. f+MP - overhead attack for people you know are crouching
    7. c.MK > f+MP - worth a mention since it's a string that actually works and can confuse some people
    8. if you're throwing your booms from far away > dash or b+LK, etc. to close some distance/create pressure, remember that your ideal range is for you to follow up your booms with mixups, c.HP jump ins, etc.
    • don't rely on flash kick too much, flash kick just isn't that good--sure you can anti-air someone that's very obvious (especially if they're sitting over you or just being stupid and jumping over and over), but most of the time Guile can solve anti-air issues with a c.HP. You can also do air throws if you predict that they're just going to jump blindly. But really, rely more on c.HP or just space back out with things such as b + MK and then lay a boom. It's not worth crouching all game just to get a flash kick.
    • again, move around--you really need to, sitting there only lets you beat people that can't do anything, but jump (I'm sure you've seen match videos with guile already, so you know what I mean)
    • remember, Guile has only 2 special moves for a reason--he has fantastic normals
    • the game is not about combos, I mean sure, you need combos to maximize your damage when you have opportunities where you should be hitting him hard--but it's definitely not where your sole practice should be in. The only beginning combo you really need is probably c.MP > sonic boom. Yes it's not always guaranteed (based on range, etc.) and yes, it's not as good as c.MP > flash kick in terms of damage, but it's the easiest one for you to use at this point in the game. c.MP > boom gives you a basic cancel, you don't have to hit confirm it (ie. making sure the c.MP lands before you follow it up) and you're generally safe afterwards to do mixups after the boom. To a lesser extent, many other moves can help you accomplish this, even if it's not a combo. c. MK, b + LK, etc. followed by a boom will let you stay relatively safe
    • when you throw your booms and flash kicks, don't flick it and fling your hand all the way out, you always want your hand around the ball--that doesn't mean you should have a grip on it, you can let it go, but only very quickly and never with your hand far away from the stick: to see some stick holding techniques go to  (three-finger grip is most common in my opinion, especially with larger hands)
      http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/jul/08/tips-switching-pad-joystick/

A Japanese match video showing what I mean:

"
    Yea its my first fight stick so im still learning how to to hold it properly . Its  just something i will get with practice
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Scooper
    @HDTran: Fantastic advice there. Basicaly, Turbo. Follow that.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By turbomonkey138
    @Scooper said:
    " @HDTran: Fantastic advice there. Basicaly, Turbo. Follow that. "
    Its some pretty nifty advice :)
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By turbomonkey138

Had to take down one of my videos due to spelling mistakes ... 

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.