Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Street Fighter V

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 16, 2016

The fifth numbered entry in Capcom's signature fighting game series revamps the game's mechanics yet again while using a new system for post-release content.

Capcom Accidentally Announced Street Fighter V

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#101  Edited By Lukeweizer

@starvinggamer said:

@lukeweizer said:

Is this Adam Boyes working his Capcom connections or Japan not giving a shit about the Xbox One?

Or just some timed exclusive to counter MS' Tomb Raider deal?

Why do I give a shit? What am I doing with my life?

Much more likely Sony pulled a Nintendo as Capcom has been in financial troubles for a while and a year ago Ono was very open about the fact that there simply wasn't the funding to start development on SFV.

So a year ago they hadn't started development.... now there's a trailer. High hopes.

It's barely even a trailer. There's about 5 seconds of gameplay in this promotion video for a motivational speaker.

Grimluck343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I wonder how exclusive this is. I shouldn't have to, but there's been a lot of timed stuff. If Sony is making this happen, Bayonetta 2 style, like some people are suggesting, that's smart of them. Unless I've forgot something, it looks like the Xbox One is only getting American fighting games. Really looking forward to hearing more about it.

And was that Dave Lang at his most serious doing the voice?

PJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#104  Edited By PJ

@belegorm:

Well, several people I know have Xbox Ones. It's about 50/50 for the people I know. More people bought Xboxes now then last gen and all said that the exclusives for PS4 are shit so they can wait a year or two on a PS4. This was my thinking too so I bought a Xbox at launch. Even though the exclusives are still pretty much shit, I bought a PS4 last month.

Again, this if not all of Europe or Sweden(where I live), just my circle of friends and relatives.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#105  Edited By Blu3V3nom07
    Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@pj: Well in the end exclusivity doesn't mean too much with the PC. Considering how well SF4 worked even on older machines if you lowered the options down, I would imagine most people would be able to run it on their computer.

Also it's a fighting game... typically enjoyed the most in a group of people... one person with a PS4/PC in a group of friends could be enough for a lot of entertainment.

Lnin0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

It would be a different story if KOF was PS4 exclusive but SFV...who gives a rats

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manbot47 said:

I'll be kind of bummed if this comes out soon. With Ultra SF4 having just come out in the middle of the year this'll really split the player base.

I wouldn't worry about that. Only a year ago, Ono was saying we wouldn't see a SFV until at least 2018. Now, they might have pushed their deadline up some, but I doubt we'll see this next year. Especially given the state of that trailer - it looks like something the dev team was forced to throw together by some higher-ups while still early in development.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By EuanDewar

There's something strange about this whole reveal that I'm finding hard to articulate. I know the accidental and premature nature of it doesn't help, but it's something beyond that. Wish I could put my finger on it. God this is a useless post.

Anyway, good to have more games to be excited about.

BBQBram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought SF IV multiple times, got some sticks and continued to be an absolute scrub, but I'm ready to do it all over again, because that logo is sick and that teaser was hype as fuck.

Nags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Nags

@lnin0 said:

It would be a different story if KOF was PS4 exclusive but SFV...who gives a rats

No Caption Provided

Igniz12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Igniz12

Ungh...all these exclusive wars are back in full force this gen. I wonder if "<insert console> and PC" is like a way to mitigate revenue lost somewhat cause I cant imagine Sony/MS being able to completely cover lost sales from being exclusive unless they foot the development costs too like FROM. Even then we still saw supposed "exclusive" games appear on the PC later. This leads me to believe that going exclusive hurts developers so why do it?

Anyway I would not be too sure about SF being exclusive. There is like nine more revisions of SF5 to come probably and one of them is bound to appear on the Xbox, eventually. New gen, same old stupid Capcom....cant even fully fund their flagship title without outside help, this is very worrying for the state of the company.

WesternWizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@belegorm: Except that was because those tournaments bought PS3s first and replaces all those consoles would be expensive. Pro players used to bitch constantly about frame drops etc on PS3 SF4 and doubly to triply so over Marvel.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

nERVEcenter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By nERVEcenter

@flatluigi: Wait, what the fuck? Is Capcom making chemicals or airplanes or something? That was the least video-game-teaser-y video game teaser I've ever seen.

CallMeTetris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course I come home and see this immediately after buying an Xbone. Of fucking course.

I'll just have to enjoy KI twice as hard now.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Nags

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nefarious_Al

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thats cool will get for sure. I have Xrd to hold me over and boy will it. All I need in this life of sin is me and my Xrd.

korolev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

As someone witha PS4, But also as someone who has no interest in fighting games, I'm not affected by this. I think, however, this is not a good idea. Even if temporary, less fans = less relevance. I can't imagine the money Sony is paying could possibly make up for its exclusivity, unless Capcom was that desperate for an immediate cash infusion or they really think the xbox one won't sell in the future, which is a bad bet.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer: What evidence did you find?

Abysmal Capcom financials, tweets from Ono about having no budget, the fact that the most popular game in a niche genre is still a niche game. Think about how many different versions of SFIV have come out over the past 6 years and the fact that the total sales are still only around 8 mil.

dsouvannarath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nothing can stop my excitement for Street Fighter 5. Nothing!

DedBeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Hey guys, I got an idea ... let us make less money.

Which means timed exclusive is what makes the most sense. Besides, since it's not officially announced yet, it may not be exclusive at all.

poobumbutt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why, but I can't ever get enough of these inside-the-company fuck ups. I like imagining the conversations surrounding them.

"Hey, boss. So, I posted that Street Fighter V trailer online."

"...You mean the Resident Evil Revelations trailer?"

"...Uh-oh."

"Dammit, Hoshi."

ninnanuam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I have a PS4 but PS+ is a laggy mess where I live so I guess ill be missing this.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

@zzombie13: What? SF4 and Marvel were both better on the 360.

Really? Okay I guess.

What about it was better exactly? I'm not challenging, just curious what it is that you preferred on the Xbox? I should probably point out that when I played INJUSTICE, MK or SF (and even SFxT), it was almost always vs mode with friends in the same room rather than online so that may be why we have a difference of opinion on the matter. MvC was never my game anyway, so I wouldn't know which version of that one was better. I'll take your word for it on that one.

I rarely prefer the Sony controller, but I just had an easier time using the Dual Shock D-Pad for fighters than the Xbox controller.

I was more talking about multiplatform releases, but yeah KI was fun enough. I mean I sucked at it, but it was fun. :)

G3ese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Whoops!

Is anyone really surprised that it is a PS4 exclusive? I mean, from what I understand most of the more serious players (like the EVO people) always played on the PS3. I've never really seen or heard of many people playing Street Fighter, or really any fighting games in general, on the PC or 360.

Am I missing something here?

"Serious players" probably make up less than 1% of the sales/market. So going exclusive simply because a hardcore minority primarily play your game on a specific platform would be really dumb. That is what you are missing.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By StarvingGamer

@zzombie13: Fewer framerate issues which is critical in a game where single-frame timing is the difference between success and failure.

musclerider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@lnin0 said:

I want to live on your bizarro planet where more people care about KoF than SF.

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By NoneSun

Weird...

Also, fuck yeah PC!

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

Even if SF5 is exclusive then Xbone will still get the 500 itertions of SF5.

TaunT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As much as I like Street Fighter and am excited for this game, this teaser is kinda bad. Putting all your eggs in the e-Sports basket is dumb. Tell me why I want to actually play this videogame, not tattoo artists inking Guile on someone the majority of the market does not know or care about.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3
    deactivated-5bf47a52ab2a3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g3ese said:

@stonyman65 said:

Whoops!

Is anyone really surprised that it is a PS4 exclusive? I mean, from what I understand most of the more serious players (like the EVO people) always played on the PS3. I've never really seen or heard of many people playing Street Fighter, or really any fighting games in general, on the PC or 360.

Am I missing something here?

"Serious players" probably make up less than 1% of the sales/market. So going exclusive simply because a hardcore minority primarily play your game on a specific platform would be really dumb. That is what you are missing.

Actually, after the initial sales, its the "serious" (as in, the people who tune into tournament events and such) players who continue to fund fighting games. Account for sponsors and event organizers as well and it's much bigger than 1%.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l1ghtn1n said:

@belegorm: No, most tournaments use 360 due to the PS3 version having lag on most stages besides the training stage due to VSync issues and overheating issues. EVO used PS3 because one year Sony was a sponser and they needed them for Tekken 5, so they played it on there since they had them lying around; even they switched to 360 for this year.

Yes and in the last Gen the 360 had the better hardware graphically making the PS3 lag in comparison with their wtf cell chip that no one knows how to program for. Yet we are now in the XB1 and PS4 era, where the PS4 has the better hardware. So going by the same logic, the whole exclusive to the better hardware console isn't a bad thing.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@forteexe21: Why would Capcom mimic KI's scale?

I'd imagine starting an F2P game would have a lower budget compared to a retail game. They always have to check first if it will catch on before going all out on features.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@zzombie13: PS3 had framerate issues with both SF4 and MvC3.

mindgarden418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will grab it on PC. And pray for good net code. And pray for an unlocked framerate.

cosi83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

cringe inducing teaser. turned it off before gameplay. explosions in the sky? pfft

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#141  Edited By GERALTITUDE

I'm super ultra excited to learn more turbo!

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Is this Adam Boyes working his Capcom connections or Japan not giving a shit about the Xbox One?

Or just some timed exclusive to counter MS' Tomb Raider deal?

Why do I give a shit? What am I doing with my life?

that's a great question i was just thinking that myself.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@starvinggamer said:

@forteexe21: Why would Capcom mimic KI's scale?

I'd imagine starting an F2P game would have a lower budget compared to a retail game. They always have to check first if it will catch on before going all out on features.

But that's the point. KI proved that it doesn't have to be an either-or scenario. KI was both a F2P game and a retail game, so players could pick and choose the way they wanted to approach the content. Capcom could do the same thing, develop a full retail fighting game for the hardcore fans while offering a F2P option for people looking to dabble.

StarvingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Will grab it on PC. And pray for good net code. And pray for an unlocked framerate.

Given how everything in fighting games is tied to animation frames, I'm pretty sure an unlocked framerate would break it.

bargainben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By bargainben

@yesiamaduck said:

@bargainben said:
    @nags said:
    @chicken008 said:

It's not a PS4 exclusive if it's on PC as well.

PS4 console exclusive.

So like Advance Warfare is a PS4 console exclusive. If you want to play the PS4 console version of the game, its only coming out on PS4.

Are you intentionally misinterpreting what he's saying?

I'm doing a thing called satire meant to make clear the fallacy of what someone else is saying. The word "exclusive" by definition cannot follow 2 things. Because exclusive means exclusive. As in, only found here. This game being exclusive to 2 things means its not exclusive. A game exclusive to 2 things is as exclusive as a game that's on 3 things. That is, its not. I can break it down more if you guys need.

What this game actually is, is its not on Xbox 1. A lot of games are assumed not to be on WiiU at this point so if you're saying "this game is only one PS4 and PC" you're saying "this game is on one platform less than most".

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bargainben said:

@yesiamaduck said:

@bargainben said:
    @nags said:
    @chicken008 said:

PS4 console exclusive.

So like Advance Warfare is a PS4 console exclusive. If you want to play the PS4 console version of the game, its only coming out on PS4.

I'm doing a thing called satire meant to make clear the fallacy of what someone else is saying. The word "exclusive" by definition cannot follow 2 things. Because exclusive means exclusive. As in, only found here. This game being exclusive to 2 things means its not exclusive. I can break it down more if you guys need.

But it failed because is statement was factual, it's only found on one game console which makes it exclusive in the console market. It's sorta like different networks having exclusivity deals for certain programs in different markets/regions? Yish? And it's being exclusive because it's excluding the Xbox One which is ACTUALLY the primary definition of Exclusivity... to exclude.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By cikame

Pretty excited about it being announced for PC from the start, don't get that much these days it usually comes out months or years after release.

It seems a bunch of people on youtube got a copyright strike for talking about this link and including the footage, it's a shame since everyone around the world has already seen it.

Homelessbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck said:

@bargainben said:
    @nags said:
    @chicken008 said:

PS4 console exclusive.

I'm doing a thing called satire meant to make clear the fallacy of what someone else is saying. The word "exclusive" by definition cannot follow 2 things. Because exclusive means exclusive. As in, only found here. This game being exclusive to 2 things means its not exclusive. A game exclusive to 2 things is as exclusive as a game that's on 3 things. That is, its not. I can break it down more if you guys need.

What this game actually is, is its not on Xbox 1. A lot of games are assumed not to be on WiiU at this point so if you're saying "this game is only one PS4 and PC" you're saying "this game is on one platform less than most".

You may want to focus on the second definition here. In this case, what is specified is "PS4 and PC."

ex·clu·siveikˈsklo͞osiv/adjectiveadjective: exclusive

1. 1. excluding or not admitting other things."my exclusive focus is on San Antonio issues"
      • unable to exist or be true if something else exists or is true."these approaches are not exclusive; many students will combine them"
        synonyms:incompatible, irreconcilable "mutually exclusive alternatives"
      • (of terms) excluding all but what is specified.
        synonyms:not including, excluding, leaving out, omitting, excepting "prices exclusive of sales tax"
        antonyms:

inclusive

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.