Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Odyssey

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo's favorite plumber and his new hat-shaped companion travel far beyond the Mushroom Kingdom in this Switch-exclusive 3D platformer.

Since Pauline is in Odyssey, what other Mario characters do you want to see?

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By MocBucket62

After watching the initial Treehouse demo of Super Mario Odyssey, the developers revealed that the mayor of New Donk City happened to be Pauline, the once damsel in distress in the original Donkey Kong arcade game. In a reddit AMA, Yoshiaki Koizumi was asked where he got the idea for that quite frankly amazing E3 trailer song, "I'll Be Your 1 Up Girl". He said that canonically speaking, Pauline is the singer of that song since the developers knew she's be someone who would be into jazz. Personally I'd like to know who the actual singer is because she goes all out with this swinging jazz tune. Song is below:

This is Mayor Pauline in game, rocking a Carmen Sandiego look.
    This is Mayor Pauline in game, rocking a Carmen Sandiego look.

Are there any other Mario characters, left field or not, that you all would want to see in this game? If Pauline is gonna be in the same game as Peach and Bowser, I wonder who else could make a surprise appearance. Part of me wants to see a reveal for the CEO of the Crazy Cap store chain and that person happens to be Wario. The colors of the store match his color palette and maybe there's a twist that Mario has been supporting a rival's business all this time, but honestly that probably won't happen.

Someone did find a cameo of one character in NDC and while this character may not be very left field, I don't know if many people thought he'd be in the game:

No Caption Provided

clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

Daisy.

Daisy.
    Daisy.

Daisy is the best Mario character and needs to be in this game, end of discussion. Good day.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

Shouldn't it be New Donk City City Hall? Or are they saying New Donk City's proper name is New Donk but people call it New Donk City to differentiate from the State of New Donk in which New Donk City is located? So there is a state called New Donk.

New Donk, New Donk.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4 bigsocrates  Online

@jay_ray said:

Shouldn't it be New Donk City City Hall? Or are they saying New Donk City's proper name is New Donk but people call it New Donk City to differentiate from the State of New Donk in which New Donk City is located? So there is a state called New Donk.

New Donk, New Donk.

New York City Hall is just called New York City Hall.

Given that New Donk City is clearly based on NYC New Donk City Hall is the correct term.

If it makes you feel better You can think of it as "New Donk City" Hall (in other words the Hall of New Donk City) instead of "New Donk" "City Hall" (the City Hall of New Donk.)

Mostly though, New York City City Hall just sounds and looks dumb.

States don't have "halls" as their seat of government. They have capitol buildings. I do not know if there is a New Donk state but I hope not or poor Pauline is going to have a lot of municipal/state government liasoning bullcrap to deal with.

s10129107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've honestly never really cared about any characters outside the ones that are in every game.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
    Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Redhotchilimist

I feel like they're doing sort of a Bond Girl thing where each game now has the usual characters and then One Other Girl. Well, I say that, but I don't think Galaxy 2 or 3D World had one. But between this and Galaxy 1 which introduced Rosalina, I think they feel the need to have another chick around as a main character besides Peach. I guess someone came up with the idea of New York first and then they went from there to the original Donkey Kong?

So I'm not expecting them to bring Daisy or Waluigi or whatever into it unless they're specifically doing a Sarasaland level.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No Caption Provided

This guy! I know everyone shits on Fludd but I liked his other inventions like the Poltergeist 3000 and Gameboy Horror and think it would be cool if he turned up with some new stupid device that may or may not talk.

dorkymohr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Wario and Waluigi

katpottz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

Yoshi. yeah I said it. come at me.

personandstuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BIRDO!!!

And maybe have a planet that is US Mario 2-esque as a way to bring that game into the fold.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bigsocrates  Online

@boozak said:

I know everyone shits on Fludd

Ironic that everyone shits on Fludd since Fludd is the best tool in the Marioverse for cleaning up shit! And don't tell me that it was just brown paint splattered all around. I'm not 15 anymore!

I actually would like to see all kinds of obscure characters come back. Why not? Let's go crazy. Let's see Wart and Birdo and some Delfino islanders and one of the kings from Mario 3 (and the Koopa kids!)

Make it a party and invite everyone!

And just because we know Bowser is already in it doesn't mean we can't have:

THE CANNONICAL REAL KING KOOPA!
    THE CANNONICAL REAL KING KOOPA!

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
    deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Just give Wario a prominent role in a game again pls

blackmagicwolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My friends and I want to see some kind of recreation of the original Donkey Kong, where DK kidnaps Mayor Pauline and Mario has to save her

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Foreman Spike from Wrecking Crew immediately comes to mind, as well as the enemies from that title. Given New Donk City it seems like the perfect place for ol' Spike to make a comeback.
    Aside from that, I've for some time wanted to see Wario and Waluigi turn up carrying out deeds for their own princess, and thus the reintroduction of a character with the name Princess Toadstool.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 bigsocrates  Online

My friends and I want to see some kind of recreation of the original Donkey Kong, where DK kidnaps Mayor Pauline and Mario has to save her

I'd rather see a reversal. Mario gets kidnapped and you have to use the hat to take control of Pauline and save him. That'd make for some nice symmetry.

Don't really want to see a prototypical "helpless damsel in distress" turned into a badass politician and then turned BACK into a damsel in distress.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

No Caption Provided

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Image result for chargin chuck

CountDeDeDe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't know if the characters from all the different Mario games (That is not the mainline games) have a chance. But I could imagine that even characters from new Nintendo franchises, like Splatton and Arms, can appear, since the game is all about traveling to new worlds

Or just Stanley from Donkey Kong 3

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sonic to show up because he can't leave.

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GAME GUY

No Caption Provided

BRING (clap) BACK (clap) GAME (clap) GUY

hansberg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think we all know who Dan Ryckert wants to see...
    I think we all know who Dan Ryckert wants to see...

I never understood the hate for Phanto. Just drop the key and he just sort of forgets that you exist. He's an enemy that could be dealt with with a piece of rope: tie it to the key in question and just drag the damned thing along.

The Angry Sun, on the other hand, can be abolished from all continuity past and present.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

put waluigi in the game or else I'm selling every video game product I own.

Also Pauline is the new waifu for laifu

SupesDupes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By SupesDupes

Thought it'd be cool to bring attention back to this thread, seeing as how the game's been out a little over a month, and actually, most of your predictions are in the game. Won't spoil anything and point out what's what - but those of you who posted and bought the game have certainly figured it out by now.

reverendhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 11

No Caption Provided

Where my Stanley at?

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eggface, Frogsvalue, and Fawful.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.