Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Mario Run

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Dec 15, 2016

Nintendo's first official Mario game for mobile devices is a New Super Mario Bros.-inspired runner.

Launching today on iOS, Super Mario Run.

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/super-mario-run/id1145275343?mt=8

I'm excited. How about you guys?

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I hope it fails miserably and Nintendo abandons the mobile market entirely. The poisonous cradle of filth that it is.

I jest. There are some great mobile games out there. Endless runners typically are not. I'm willing to give it a chance though. As soon as it comes to Android...

RetroMetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: I hear you, but this one is Nintendo... I have faith if anyone can make a mobile endless runner, they can.

lamabraveheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wish it was on android

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By monetarydread

@kingbonesaw: I spent the money on this game, and I think you are right. It's a clone of the IOS Rayman games; the issue I am having is that it's 10x the price, with a poor art style, fewer levels, and controls that don't feel as precise yet the developers ask even more from you.

Overall I find it to be one of the most frustrating games I have played all year because the game feels like it is designed in a way where you have to be so perfect that the slightest mistake will force you into restarting. Actually, the last time I played a game that required so much restarting was Stuntman on the PS2.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@mike: Nine In Tendo is a nice touch.

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By nnickers

Do you want to jump to the higher platform or drop to the lower?

Oh, you dropped down? Well the next purple coin is above you.

Sorry.

Restart.

The game. $10 please.

handlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Got all the pink and then purple coins on the first level. Felt that's all I needed to play, tbh.

Rayman Run games are better.

Binarynova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They lost me at the internet requirement (ign.com). I was totally okay with dropping $10 on it until I heard about that. Now it's a pass. Hope everyone enjoys it though! :)

DonPixel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played it last night

My official review

I think this game is pretty boring

WynnDuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's getting hammered with bad reviews. I was expecting this to take the world by storm even though it's an absolutely terrible Mario game.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yet another reason to temper expectations for the Switch.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am really conflicted about this game. When I first started playing it I really didn't like anything about it, but as I start trying to get all the coins in the free levels I find something about it to be weirdly compelling. They change up the levels a decent amount after completing each coin series. And something about trying to replay these levels keeps me engaged in a way I wasn't expecting. I haven't completed any of the black coin runs even on the first level because they seem fairly difficult where precision seems to matter a lot. But I dunno... I'm sort of on the fence about the $10 price tag, which seems silly when I look at it. But at the same time not having the ability to just bust this out whenever I feel like it (since you have to be online all the time) keeps me from going all in on it.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've played the first 3 levels a few times hoping that the game would finally "click" for me. It hasn't happened yet and I don't think it will. Cutting off the free version before 1-4 seems like a shit move. Requiring an online connection to play feels gross. I'll wait for it to go on sale. Until then I'll go play Severed instead.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matatat: Yeah, I can get into score attack games and/or games that task me with grabbing all the coins in a level, so I'm kinda alright with it, though I still haven't spent the $10. I do think the progression elements of it are insane, in that most of the buildings you can buy for the Mushroom Kingdom are cosmetic, coins are basically meaningless and mostly just buy cosmetic items, and only Toads earned through Toad Rallies really matter for unlocking the handful of buildings that actually do anything, except the fucked up part about Toad Rally is that if you take on a real tryhard ghost and lose, you can lose a significant number of Toads.

LegalBagel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#19 LegalBagel  Online

You can dispute the price and the online connection, which both are a little nuts. Though on price I'm more willing to pay good money for games that a ton of effort went into, even if on iOS. It's better than the random Square ports for $10+. But in terms of the actual game I think there's a fair amount of good stuff there having gone through the first three worlds. You do an initial romp through a level learning the layout, then make a run for coins, then have to hunker down and execute perfectly to get the difficult coins. It's a pretty good ramp of content for the levels that are there and I've been having fun going back through them. It's both a basic platformer and a crazy puzzle games at times.

I think my bigger issue is with the Rally mode, which seems poorly thought out and to have little incentive. A competition which is poorly explained, costs tickets (even if the tickets are plentiful), and costs you resources if you lose is pretty much the opposite of normal Nintendo fun. And the things you get from it are weird cosmetic things for your world, with most of the cosmetics requiring a ton of toads to access requiring a long series of wins. I can't see myself getting into it unless they reworked the system.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.