Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Super Street Fighter IV

Game » consists of 28 releases. Released Feb 26, 2010

Super Street Fighter IV is a standalone update to its predecessor, adding new characters, modes, and online features.

Oh Noes, Ono says no Arcade release

• 59 results
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By StaticFalconar

This may just mark the death of any revival of the arcade scene, Super Street Fighter 4 won't have a release in the arcades. While American players won't feel the pinch, Japanese players would probably riot over this. 

Does this matter to you? Can you ever increase your game using only lag tactics? Discuss.
    jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#2  Edited By jeff

DOES NOT COMPUTE

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By napalm

Jeff can't figure this out. In that case, I have no idea what this fucking means.

There's no way this is possible is all I am going to say.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By StaticFalconar

Look around say 4:40 if you don't want listen the whole thing

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#5  Edited By lordofultima

Wow, that is a shocker. I don't know what this will do for the fighting game scene in Japan..and when the familiars come to Evo from Japan, they'd be at a serious disadvantage playing a game they're not familiar with at all.

Also, most US tournaments are on console, but offline. There are no lag tactics in person..

SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By SpecialBuddy

HAHAHA! Take that East and West Coast! You guys don't get the head start like you did last time. Rise of the mid-coast!

In all seriousness this will just lead to more people going to other people's houses. So if pro players want to get into this game (like they should and I almost say guarantee) they will have to go to someones house instead of like AI or Chinatown Fair.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By napalm

This feels like strictly fan service to the non-Japan console players, when you consider how huge the arcade scene is in Japan.

Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Bigandtasty
    @Jeff said:
    " DOES NOT COMPUTE "
    Agreed. Japan still loves their arcades.
    Avatar image for kowalskimandown
    KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By KowalskiManDown

Ardade? What's that?!

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Scooper

This is pretty crazy. It doesn't effect me directaly but I guess if these Japanese players that pretty much exclusively play the Arcade versions want to get into this game competatively they're gunna have to go round people houses or to community halls and set up a bunch of consoles or something because playing online is no good as there's alot of tactics that only work because of the lagg.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Diamond

As Jeff might say, who is SSF4 for?

In only matters to me personally in the sense that arcade releases do get balance tweaks and usually end up considerably better balanced on consoles when they're released.  So far I'm not super interested in SSF4, but maybe that will come.

IMO, Capcom is going about SSF4 in all the wrong ways so far.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PureRok

Meh. Who cares?

Avatar image for themustachehero
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Diamond said:
    " As Jeff might say, who is SSF4 for?  In only matters to me personally in the sense that arcade releases do get balance tweaks and usually end up considerably better balanced on consoles when they're released.  So far I'm not super interested in SSF4, but maybe that will come.  IMO, Capcom is going about SSF4 in all the wrong ways so far. "
    I think it's for the people who missed out on SF4 and want to come into it with some new incentives.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Diamond
    @TheMustacheHero: It's a pretty sweet package for those people I guess.

Most of those people probably didn't care much for SF4 if they hadn't bought it yet.  Casual gamers maybe?  Maybe they'll tie in Natal & PS3 ice cream support too?
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @Diamond said:
    " @TheMustacheHero: It's a pretty sweet package for those people I guess.  Most of those people probably didn't care much for SF4 if they hadn't bought it yet.  Casual gamers maybe?  Maybe they'll tie in Natal & PS3 ice cream support too? "
    I dunno, I myself have always wanted to try SF4 but didn't because 1. I tend to dislike most fighting games, 2. SF2 Turbo was hard as poo and 3. I don't want to get raped online and have no one to play locally with.
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Flushes

This is absolutely mind-boggling. Like Ultima said, this will benefit the American scene an awful lot. One of the main reasons that Japan is always 3-4 months ahead of North America is the number of arcades and the density of high-quality competition. I wonder how much of that edge will be lost when (if?) the Japanese scene switches to console. If arcades don't run console tournaments, top players will either have to go out of the way to seek each other out or play almost exclusively online, the latter of which is currently functional, but hardly ideal if you're a bleeding-edge Japanese expert. The first months after release will be very interesting, and the American SBO teams may have their first real shot at finally cracking that nut come the end of August next year.

Jolly_Lolly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jolly_Lolly

Maybe now all the hard-core American players can finally stop crying over the Japanese players' advantages. 

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By lordofultima
    @TheMustacheHero: Then this game still won't be for you, I'm pretty certain. Gotta put in the time to be good.

@Flushes: I'm pretty sure SBO is an arcade-only event, my guess is that Japan will stay with Vanilla edition of SFIV until the end of time.
    TheMustacheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TheMustacheHero
    @lordofultima: Uhhh, yeah ok.
    copycatzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By copycatzen

arcades? what is that? a web page?
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @lordofultima: My prediction, Japan's new wave of arcades will evolve to something along the lines of lan gaming centers where there are a bunch of 360 and PS3s around with SSF4 on them. Seriously, nothing can truly replace the true arcade scene since there is something called human interaction that you don't get with online, ever.
    AniMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By AniMoney

Real question is if arcades will stick with the old version or try to get a console setup in the arcades. Put an xbox inside a cabinet and it's basically the same. But if they do that then Jap players can't use the card system anymore, which is something I always thought was cool.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#23  Edited By ArbitraryWater

...That seems like a really stupid idea when you consider that SFIV is probably one of Japan's most popular arcade games. 

However, it does imply that they are going to put out the console versions faster than they would have otherwise.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By FluxWaveZ

How can that be?  Are the console only characters like Cammy and Dan never going to make it to the arcades?  I can't believe that.

Avatar image for chocobo_blitzer
    Chocobo_Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Chocobo_Blitzer

The arcade income must not have impressed the suits at capcom, so they're terminating it. Super is probably an experiment to see if SFIV actually created enough retaining customers to support the franchise on console.  The answer is obviously no.

Japanese console sales have always been low. In the US, every Gamestop is filled with used copies of SFIV, and we've seen the reaction to Super in comments and on forums- they hate it. They paid $60 to lose as Ken, why pay $40 to lose again? Most of the sales on SFIV were probably from hype. Sure, it might have a small faithful supporting, but I doubt Capcom is interested in a negligible series, they want killers like the RE series.

I think it's very possible this is the last Street Fighter we'll see in a long long time, if ever again. Capcom doesn't like Street Fighter, not really. Bringing it back was an odd experiment that they probably think is failing. I know Ono had to fight tooth and nail to get the greenlight for SFIV at all.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By JJOR64

Since this isn't getting release in the arcades, I wonder how the arcade scene is doing in Japan now.

Chocobo_Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Chocobo_Blitzer
    @JJOR64 said:

" Since this isn't getting release in the arcades, I wonder how the arcade scene is doing in Japan now. "

I would imagine most of them will immediately go back to third strike, or move to another series. SFIV isn't exactly considered a masterpiece, I'm sure most of them were confident the game would get a revision to make it worth dedicating to. No point now.
    NinjaHunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NinjaHunter
    @SpecialBuddy said:
    " HAHAHA! Take that East and West Coast! You guys don't get the head start like you did last time. Rise of the mid-coast!  In all seriousness this will just lead to more people going to other people's houses. So if pro players want to get into this game (like they should and I almost say guarantee) they will have to go to someones house instead of like AI or Chinatown Fair. "
    YES!! Our time has come!!!
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Chocobo_Blitzer said:
    " The arcade income must not have impressed the suits at capcom, so they're terminating it. Super is probably an experiment to see if SFIV actually created enough retaining customers to support the franchise on console.  The answer is obviously no.   Japanese console sales have always been low. In the US, every Gamestop is filled with used copies of SFIV, and we've seen the reaction to Super in comments and on forums- they hate it. They paid $60 to lose as Ken, why pay $40 to lose again? Most of the sales on SFIV were probably from hype. Sure, it might have a small faithful supporting, but I doubt Capcom is interested in a negligible series, they want killers like the RE series.   I think it's very possible this is the last Street Fighter we'll see in a long long time, if ever again. Capcom doesn't like Street Fighter, not really. Bringing it back was an odd experiment that they probably think is failing. I know Ono had to fight tooth and nail to get the greenlight for SFIV at all. "
    Troll much? Why don't you go work for Activision with that attitude
    animateria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By animateria

This strikes me as odd.

Unless they update the current arcades to the console version of SFIV, then release SSFIV as a console release... This doesn't seem to make too much sense.

Looking at the successful characer's used at EVO... none of the new characters, including Seth, did as well as the originals. I don't see why they can't update it after collecting enough info.

Perhaps there is indeed a shift in revenue. Where the Arcade version just doesn't bring enough revenue compared to it's console counterparts. 

Therefore Capcom doesn't find the need to invest in an Arcade version, and decided to go console only. Aside from a limited amount of arcade tournaments (Well, unless it's in Japan), most tournaments use consoles.

However, since a lot of people still think a fighting game proves itself in arcades... (I personally don't think so, A lot of arcade fighters have problems concerning balance or bugs etc).

It should be wise for Capcom to update the arcades, even as a PR stunt.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#31  Edited By AgentJ

I'm guessing they'll just wait a while before bringing it out to arcades. It's just like the exlusive DLC lines. In the end, those lines go no where. 

Chocobo_Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Chocobo_Blitzer

@StaticFalconar said: 

" @Chocobo_Blitzer said:

" The arcade income must not have impressed the suits at capcom, so they're terminating it. Super is probably an experiment to see if SFIV actually created enough retaining customers to support the franchise on console.  The answer is obviously no.   Japanese console sales have always been low. In the US, every Gamestop is filled with used copies of SFIV, and we've seen the reaction to Super in comments and on forums- they hate it. They paid $60 to lose as Ken, why pay $40 to lose again? Most of the sales on SFIV were probably from hype. Sure, it might have a small faithful supporting, but I doubt Capcom is interested in a negligible series, they want killers like the RE series.   I think it's very possible this is the last Street Fighter we'll see in a long long time, if ever again. Capcom doesn't like Street Fighter, not really. Bringing it back was an odd experiment that they probably think is failing. I know Ono had to fight tooth and nail to get the greenlight for SFIV at all. "

Troll much? Why don't you go work for Activision with that attitude "
    Sorry I threw in some exaggerations, but I'm not trolling. I like the Street Fighter series. But the move to not support a arcade release seems crippling and implies Capcom's feelings on the series. Without an arcade release SFIV will die in Japan, and I seriously doubt the west can support it on it's own.

Let me put it this way, if Capcom wasn't happy with the arcade success of SFIV, why would they be happy with the success Super will get on consoles? It's obvious their bar is set pretty high, I doubt we can hit it.

@AgentJ said:

" I'm guessing they'll just wait a while before bringing it out to arcades. It's just like the exlusive DLC lines. In the end, those lines go no where.  "

Yeah, this could very well be it. Maybe they think they can net a lot more console sales this time around if they hide the existence of an arcade. But this seems risky, I would think arcade operators would stop support of SFIV long term if they knew it wasn't going to be upgraded, I'm not sure SFIV  is revered enough to sit next to the classics. Also many players might give the game up and move on if they hear it's a dead end. 
    Shadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By Shadow

Can't say I'm shocked.  Nothing has made a whole lot of sense about any of this SSFIV crap.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @animateria: At the 5 on 5 team battle, Team Wild card (composed of nothing but Console exclusive characters) surprised a lot of people and placed 2nd.
    Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
    Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#35  Edited By Atlas

I love the difference in approach between the different companies. Sega updated Virtua Fighter 5 for arcades like three times. Tekken 6 has been in arcades for two years, and was updated a year ago. Capcom on the other hand, brought it to arcades only a few months before the console release, and seems to have given up on updating the arcade machines. 

As has been said in this thread already, the way that Capcom are handling SSF4 is pretty poor, and could well be another vital nail in the coffin of the Japanese arcade scene, which, while still pretty big, has been dropping big time in recent years. I just think the whole thing is a massive bummer.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#36  Edited By alexl86

So. this one won't be, but maybe Hyper Street Fighter IV 3rd Strike Turbo remix will be. There will probably be more versions of the game and maybe it makes more sense to release a later version.

brent_kukost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By brent_kukost

They said SF4 wasn't going to be arcade either, but then surprise loc-tests happened a couple of months later. I really doubt they wouldn't put this out in arcades, but if that were the case it would be a serious blow against SSF4. 

You might think that it doesn't affect you since you don't play these people and you don't play the people that play them either, but in truth the Japanese arcade scene has driven every SF game to 'be all it can be'. The resurgence in SF3 popularity wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for Japanese tapes making it's way over to America for instance. The hype generation and innovation that the Japanese arcade rats create is very much a part of how the game evolves. If you played Third Strike a lot you might remember how Makoto, after several years of obscurity, suddenly burst out and became one of the best characters in the game. Without the insanely hardcore arcade players we won't have that happen again. I can't stress the importance of the arcade scene as an innovator and hype machine enough, the majority of people who bought SF4 are casual players and will move on leaving the game dead, but the arcade scene might discover something new or release a video of a stupendous match that will get people excited for the game again and there will be a resurgence in players. 

Without the arcade we'll have a much smaller player base, but the level of competition will drop like a fucking rock because the best players are the ones we'll be losing. And it's not like Daigo, Mago and all the other "famous" players will move to consoles, nor will Japanese arcades modify consoles into arcade cabs or any other silliness like that. They will just play another arcade game, because they are arcade players before anything else. The reason the arcade scene fosters so many advances in the games is because they got a community in their arcades, it wouldn't transfer to consoles in the same way. People wouldn't just go back to playing ST, TS and the next hot arcade release and not worry about SSF4 at all.

Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Flushes
    @StaticFalconar: True, but the only reason that happened is because nobody knew those matchups. Wasn't that thing also only one game? One game versus a player you've never met using a character you've never played. Anything could have happened. I don't think the results of the 5vs5 say much for the relative strength of any of the console characters.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Flushes: Yeah, one game 5 times in a row and repeat every time they move up the bracket. If you need more convincing of console characters, Yeb - WestCoast Warzone. I think with more time, people will figure mad shit out for the console characters. The only drawback is no arcade scene to test them out
    Flushes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Flushes
    @StaticFalconar: Nobody on those teams knew those matchups, because nobody plays console characters seriously. Yes, Yeb is good. Yes, Sabre is good. How well do you think Yeb or Sabre would have done if Floe or Valle had known the match even a little bit? I'd be willing to bet that Floe had never encountered a serious Gen player in his life. Picking terrible, obscure characters that nobody knows how to fight is not a new tactic (see CvS2). What invariably happens is that these characters lose their novelty and winning with them becomes just as difficult as it was before. Every game has low-tier specialists, but those characters remain down there for a reason.

Wildcard had an impressive showing, and Yeb is knows his character well, but don't expect anything groundbreaking to come of it.
    StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By StaticFalconar
    @Flushes: I disagree, As good as Yeb is he isn't as good as Alex Valle. Yeb could have picked Sagat (for sake of argument lets assume he knows how to play him) and still lost to Alex's Ryu. I ain't saying Gen is as Good as Sagat, but far from the 'terrible' character that you seem to think they are. Afterall everybody thought Makoto in 3s wasn't good, and after years of research he's right up there with Chun.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jakob187
    @StaticFalconar said:
    " @lordofultima: My prediction, Japan's new wave of arcades will evolve to something along the lines of lan gaming centers where there are a bunch of 360 and PS3s around with SSF4 on them. Seriously, nothing can truly replace the true arcade scene since there is something called human interaction that you don't get with online, ever. "
    The problem you get with that is "which consoles should a LAN center carry".  For instance, at the game center I work at, we have nothing but 360.  The reason for this is because our focus is on multiplayer gaming over online and system link.  Sony...ain't so hot for those things, whereas 360 is.  HOWEVER, the 360 is frowned upon by most fighting game hardcores as compared to the PS3.  So, it causes a bit of a dilemma until you realize that it's Japan and they'll probably just use Sony since it's a local brand. 

Nonetheless, SSFIV not getting an arcade release is quite odd indeed...
    SpecialBuddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By SpecialBuddy

I shall start building arcade cabinets using ps3 and old CRT TVs and send them to all the arcades in the world. Charge 16,000 dollars a pop and call it a day. That way I get rich quick and SSF4 gets an arcade release.

Dan_CiTi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Dan_CiTi
    @StaticFalconar: 
    Makoto is a female. She's even got cleavage.
    lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By lordofultima
    @StaticFalconar said:

" @animateria: At the 5 on 5 team battle, Team Wild card (composed of nothing but Console exclusive characters) surprised a lot of people and placed 2nd. "

Mike Ross = Honda, Hseng Chang = Akuma, Dagger G = Guile. All not console characters.

edit: Seems there may be an arcade release of SSFIVafter all, maybe Ono was toying with our hearts?
    Chocobo_Blitzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Chocobo_Blitzer
    @lordofultima said:

" @StaticFalconar said:

" @animateria: At the 5 on 5 team battle, Team Wild card (composed of nothing but Console exclusive characters) surprised a lot of people and placed 2nd. "

Mike Ross = Honda, Hseng Chang = Akuma, Dagger G = Guile. All not console characters.

edit: Seems there may be an arcade release of SSFIVafter all, maybe Ono was toying with our hearts? "
    He might have shot down the arcade version to rile the fans up. If he said "maybe an arcade release" there might have been a more  complacent response, but straight up saying "no" is going to get the fans demanding it faster and harder. 
    leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By leky1

arcades are dead get the fuck over it

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By lordofultima
    @leky1: I have Street Fighter IV cabs 10 minutes from my house. Dead for you, not for me. bgpo
    leky1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By leky1
    @lordofultima said:
    " @leky1: I have Street Fighter IV cabs 10 minutes from my house. Dead for you, not for me. bgpo "
    oh :/
    skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#50  Edited By skrutop

Damn you Yoko!  Damn you straight to hell!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.