Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Syndicate

Game » consists of 8 releases. Released Feb 21, 2012

Syndicate is a reinvention of the 1993 game by Bullfrog. Developed at Starbreeze Studios, the game puts players in the shoes of Miles Kilo, one of the cybernetically-enhanced Agents who wages war against enemy mega-corporations on behalf of EuroCorp, his sponsor syndicate.

EA Finally Stops Pretending it Isn't Remaking Syndicate, Announces Syndicate Remake

• 157 results
    Zembosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#51  Edited By Zembosis

I can understand why some people are upset by this. If they had decided to remake Dungeon Keeper and then said it was going to be a FPS, i would be pretty upset; however I am a fan of Starbreeze so I'm kinda looking forward to this now.
    Kinda wish they would remake the Crusader games. I even wouldn't mind if they were FPS, although I could see them turned into a Diablo style game as well.

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#52  Edited By mosdl

Shooter or not, if its a good game I probably will get it.

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#53  Edited By jozzy

@Shuborno said:

Starbreeze is a good developer.

Don't know what the point in resurrecting old forgotten IP in the form of a shooter is all the rage (eg. Shadowrun, XCOM, Syndicate). Why bother? Why not start fresh if the people who liked the original are not your audience?

Yeah, I don't get it either. Do they really think that fans of the old game will be thrilled to see it re-imagined as a FPS? Sometimes it looks likebigpublishers don't understand how the internet works.

Bombzinski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#54  Edited By Bombzinski

I don't get this. I have no nostalgia for either Syndicate or X-Com, but what is the point of it? What is the advantage to slapping old licences on these generic shooters? Anyone who still remembers and has fondness for those games will only get angry at you for shitting on their memories, and those who don't just won't care either way.

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#55  Edited By plaintomato

Ah, Syndicate. The only reason I remember having to turn on my Sega Genesis. 

Anyway, remember the original Rainbow Six? Some sort of inspiration like that could qualify as an FPS and still make a worthy Syndicate remake. Hope is not lost...just not entirely likely, but innovative gameplay never is likely. Four player co-op versions of the original missions sounds interesting.

Avatar image for deactivated-6058f06e73ee8
    deactivated-6058f06e73ee8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@Bombzinski said:

I don't get this. I have no nostalgia for either Syndicate or X-Com, but what is the point of it? What is the advantage to slapping old licences on these generic shooters? Anyone who still remembers and has fondness for those games will only get angry at you for shitting on their memories, and those who don't just won't care either way.

I was going to post exactly this.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By zeforgotten

As much as I would have loved playing a new Syndicate game like they were back in the days this doesn't bother me that much. I guess I'm just done with the whole "OMG, this game I've never played and I am never going to play sucks! I know this, my fathers, cousins, best friends, dogs, mothers, pool-boy works at EA and says this will suck"-thing.

vilhelmnielsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By vilhelmnielsen

I barely read the article, and I'm already stoked.

Danda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Danda
    junglistgamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60  Edited By junglistgamer

I'm going to hold out some hope that they include some kind of between-mission hub that allows the player to spend money on weapons and research. I don't mind changing the basic mechanics from an isometric strategy game to a shooter as long as the upgrading stuff stays in there. I really hope that stuff is in there and they just didn't mention it in the press-release because some PR douchebag thought it might scare off the kids.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#61  Edited By Undeadpool

Nice to see there's still no accumulated memory on the internet. We haven't heard one single thing about this (besides the format) or seen a single screenshot, but people are already deciding they're not going to buy it. Those people will be the first to pre-order.

Hass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Hass

Another uninspired shooter that gets a classic name popped on it.

Lingxor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By Lingxor

SATELLITE RAIN

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@EuanDewar said:

Hey guys. Starbreeze are pretty alright.

Starbreeze ain't Starbreeze no more. The Starbreeze we all know and kinda dig became MachineGames.

neonguide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By neonguide

FPS or not, this could be awesome if you get to upgrade your dudes and equip them etc before heading out onto a mission to make more money to buy cool stuff. And then shoot miniguns, set people on fire and ride in a car around the city. Pretty sure all of that would still work from first person.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#66  Edited By EuanDewar

Lol at people.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By CptBedlam

This will probably turn out to be a good game but sadly it's no Syndicate. I'm okay with the perspective shift to 1st person but I would've hoped for some resource/team management and science stuff as secondary gameplay elements.

august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By august

@mracoon said:

Waste of the IP. Starbreeze have a great pedigree when it comes to FPS's but using the Syndicate name won't do it any favours and will probably alienate the fans of the franchise.

Just like Fallout 3, right?

plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#69  Edited By plaintomato
    @Shuborno said:

@PJ said:

@Shuborno said:

Don't know what the point in resurrecting old forgotten IP...

A perk with using an old ass IP is that not only do you get the old fans thanks to nostalgia but you can market it as a whole new game for a new audience so...

I question how big that existing audience is with that old IP...

I'd agree with Shuborno on that one. Syndicate pulled you in because it was dark and different in a world of mostly games for kids, but relative to the sales that will be expected in order for the remake to be counted a success...the size of the original fan base has to be just a drop in the bucket. 

What using the old IP gets them is street cred - it changes the game from a Deus Ex inspired new IP into something that was around long before Deus Ex. Now even if they end up imitating [Deus Ex, Bladerunner, any RTS/FPS Hybrid], their PR can drop hints that these other IP's were inspired by Syndicate instead of vice versa.

But I'm willing to hope it's not a Deus Ex cash-in and really is a worthy Syndicate reboot.
    turbomonkey138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By turbomonkey138

Why cant they make it isometric like the old ones ?

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#71  Edited By EuanDewar
    @SeriouslyNow Balls. I have literally no idea who that is.

SEE YOU NEXT YEAR GUYS
    Avatar image for generic_username
    generic_username

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#72  Edited By generic_username
    @tiaphelps said:
    I just got a $829.99 iPad2 for only $103.37 and my mom got a $1499.99 HDTV for only $251.92, they are both coming with USPS tomorrow. I would be an idiot to ever pay full retail prices at places like Walmart or Bestbuy. I sold a 37" HDTV to my boss for $600 that I only paid $78.24 for. I use BIDSGET.COM

Sounds fucking great. I know I'm not the only one reporting this shit. I really don't want this place filled with this crap like 1up and IGN are. 

Anyways. 

I swear I've been hearing about this for like, over a year.
    avidwriter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By avidwriter

So they take it and make a FPS out of it. Oh EA.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#74  Edited By crusader8463

Sigh...

datarez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#75  Edited By datarez

I'm loving the increased number of cyberpunk games. Even better is the trend for devs and publishers not to start talking about a game until it's close to release. I'm really tired of hearing about games that are 2 years out.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#76  Edited By delta_ass

Well, I do enjoy me some FPSs.

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77  Edited By Shaanyboi

Wow... didn't take long for people to automatically start bitching about it being an FPS without any slight hint that this will be either good or bad. "Oh no! A PC game I played 20 years ago is being changed to maintain a level of relevancy with the times??? NOOO!" I loved Syndicate, just as I loved X-Com, but come on... have a little objectivity instead of being a bunch of uptight overnostalgic dipshits for fuck's sake...

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78  Edited By Ravenlight

So... Is it also on Steam?

curious_george

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By curious_george

FPS are getting played out. Can we get some innovation please? The reason most of these games are remembered is because they did something original at the time (Syndicate, X-COM, etc.). But it doesn't seem like any of these modern interpretations are aiming for anything more than "mass appeal". I hope all these FPS remakes tank so companies will realize that you can't sell a game by name only.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By prestonhedges
    @Shaanyboi said:
    Wow... didn't take long for people to automatically start bitching about it being an FPS without any slight hint that this will be either good or bad. "Oh no! A PC game I played 20 years ago is being changed to maintain a level of relevancy with the times??? NOOO!" I loved Syndicate, just as I loved X-Com, but come on... have a little objectivity instead of being a bunch of uptight overnostalgic dipshits for fuck's sake...
    Whether it's good or not doesn't really matter. The point is: Will it be a good Syndicate game? Well, no, because it's not a Syndicate game in the first place. It's just called that.
    gamb1t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#81  Edited By gamb1t
    @Nocall said:
    I miss Bullfrog.
    this
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#82  Edited By mracoon

@august said:

@mracoon said:

Waste of the IP. Starbreeze have a great pedigree when it comes to FPS's but using the Syndicate name won't do it any favours and will probably alienate the fans of the franchise.

No, Fallout 3 was the same genre as its predecessors.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#83  Edited By Enigma777

Looks like Deus Ex, which can only be a good thing.

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84  Edited By DystopiaX
    @mracoon

@august said:

@mracoon said:

But not really...both RPGs yes but turn based va first person action is a huge change.
    august

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By august

@mracoon said:

@august said:

@mracoon said:

Sure.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By prestonhedges
    @DystopiaX said:
    @mracoon

@august said:

@mracoon said:

But not really...both RPGs yes but turn based va first person action is a huge change.
    Yeah, because there weren't first-person RPGs back in the Fallout days.

When Fallout 3 was first announced, they made a big deal about SPECIAL, vault suits, and power armor, which is what the fans cared about. With Syndicate, they're showing off "Hey, look how much this looks like Deus Ex!!! Great, right? Hey, hacking minigames! That's what you remember from Syndicate."
    Jeaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87  Edited By Jeaz

Meh, the world has enough FPS games already. The original Syndicate was a really unique and very hard game. But just like X-Com and Fallout they are dumbing them down into shooters. Yes, Fallout 3 was rubbish compared to the brilliant first two games, IMHO.

ChosenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88  Edited By ChosenOne

Boring. First-person? That's so lazy, at least make it third-person!

Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By Shaanyboi
    @gladspooky said:
    @Shaanyboi said:
    Whether it's good or not doesn't really matter. The point is: Will it be a good Syndicate game? Well, no, because it's not a Syndicate game in the first place. It's just called that.

Whether or not it's a "good Syndicate game" kinda is irrelevant.  that game is 20 years old, and the number of people that that's relevant to is miniscule now.  Fallout 2 wasn't first-person, but that didn't illegitimize Fallout 3 for anyone with a level of reason.  Frankly, for a LOT MORE people now, the latter is what Fallout is, not the decade old games.   The number of people who'd care to play an old-style Syndicate or X-Com is barely anything now.  Call that selling out, or whatever you want, but really, the number of people that are offended by this compared to the number of people that could see this and just be like "Oh hey, this could be totally rad" is a huge fucking difference.
    Avatar image for steelknight2000
    steelknight2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By steelknight2000

@Generic_username said:

@tiaphelps said:
    I just got a $829.99 iPad2 for only $103.37 and my mom got a $1499.99 HDTV for only $251.92, they are both coming with USPS tomorrow. I would be an idiot to ever pay full retail prices at places like Walmart or Bestbuy. I sold a 37" HDTV to my boss for $600 that I only paid $78.24 for. I use BIDSGET.COM
    Sounds fucking great. I know I'm not the only one reporting this shit. I really don't want this place filled with this crap like 1up and IGN are. Anyways. I swear I've been hearing about this for like, over a year.

Hey mods, can we get a ban on this "tiaphelps" account?

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By prestonhedges
    @Shaanyboi said:
    @gladspooky said:
    @Shaanyboi said:
    Whether or not it's a "good Syndicate game" kinda is irrelevant.  that game is 20 years old, and the number of people that that's relevant to is miniscule now.  Fallout 2 wasn't first-person, but that didn't illegitimize Fallout 3 for anyone with a level of reason.  Frankly, for a LOT MORE people now, the latter is what Fallout is, not the decade old games.   The number of people who'd care to play an old-style Syndicate or X-Com is barely anything now.  Call that selling out, or whatever you want, but really, the number of people that are offended by this compared to the number of people that could see this and just be like "Oh hey, this could be totally rad" is a huge fucking difference.
    If those games are irrelevant and no one cares about them, then why make another one in the first place? If you're a fan and you want to revitalize an old franchise like Syndicate, wouldn't you want to reintroduce it to people the way you remember it? It's like taking an old game like Sinistar and reinvisioning it as an anime bullet hell shooter. The shooter may be great, but there's no reason it needs to be called Sinistar. And guess what, the whole "these genres are dead" argument falls apart if they just made it a downloadable game.
    mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#93  Edited By mracoon

@DystopiaX said:

@mracoon

@august said:

@mracoon said:

Changing perspective doesn't change the genre, they both have most of the same core concepts and mechanics.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#94  Edited By MormonWarrior
    @Alex:

I always know it's you based on the title of these articles. Also, is it sad that I can always identify exactly who wrote a review or news release if it was Ryan, Jeff, Vinny, Brad, or Alex? I don't even need to look at the author.
    ChaosDent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By ChaosDent

@gladspooky said:

@DystopiaX said:
    @mracoon

@august said:

@mracoon said:

Yeah, because there weren't first-person RPGs back in the Fallout days. When Fallout 3 was first announced, they made a big deal about SPECIAL, vault suits, and power armor, which is what the fans cared about. With Syndicate, they're showing off "Hey, look how much this looks like Deus Ex!!! Great, right? Hey, hacking minigames! That's what you remember from Syndicate."

Fallout 3 is neither a great nor a terrible game, but as far as I'm concerned it isn't truly Fallout 3. It really felt like Oblivion with guns in a gray wasteland instead of a vibrant fantasy world. Changing the attributes to SPECIAL didn't really alter the mechanics of the Elder Scrolls skill system and VATS felt more like an apology for their terrible shooter controls than a throwback to the turn based nature of the Fallout games.

There are more than enough action RPGs and shooter games (both first and third person) to go around. Remaking old franchises in these saturated genres doesn't help with the lack of turn-based RPGs and tactics games.

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By CptBedlam

@mracoon said:

@DystopiaX said:

@mracoon

@august said:

@mracoon said:

Changing perspective doesn't change the genre, they both have most of the same core concepts and mechanics.

I could argue that Syndicate never really was a strategy game. It was more top-down action with team and resource management in between missions. The missions themselves were a litle bit about strategically placing the agents, sure, but mostly about mowing down stuff (or persuading hordes of people). I remember vividly the gauss cannon infernos in the later missions of the game.

Basically, I'm okay with the changed perspective but I would've liked to have the science and management elements in between missions. And a non-linear campaign. That's all doable in 1st person perspective but sadly it sounds like they went the ordinary route and built a linear shooter. :(

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#97  Edited By Driadon

Huh, interesting that they feel confident in their design to interpret maps and missions from the original. It's got me curious.

prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By prestonhedges
    @ChaosDent said:

@gladspooky said:

@DystopiaX said:
    @mracoon

@august said:

@mracoon said:

Yeah, because there weren't first-person RPGs back in the Fallout days. When Fallout 3 was first announced, they made a big deal about SPECIAL, vault suits, and power armor, which is what the fans cared about. With Syndicate, they're showing off "Hey, look how much this looks like Deus Ex!!! Great, right? Hey, hacking minigames! That's what you remember from Syndicate."

Fallout 3 is neither a great nor a terrible game, but as far as I'm concerned it isn't truly Fallout 3. It really felt like Oblivion with guns in a gray wasteland instead of a vibrant fantasy world. Changing the attributes to SPECIAL didn't really alter the mechanics of the Elder Scrolls skill system and VATS felt more like an apology for their terrible shooter controls than a throwback to the turn based nature of the Fallout games.

There are more than enough action RPGs and shooter games (both first and third person) to go around. Remaking old franchises in these saturated genres doesn't help with the lack of turn-based RPGs and tactics games.

Yes, but "Oblivion with guns" is at least the modern equivalent of a computer RPG. Tactical games have no modern equivalent apart from RTSs (which these games were not) and squad-based first-person shooters (which are clunky at best and barely contain tactics at all beyond "go over there").
    koobz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By koobz

I am a nerd whining about something. Someone validate my existence by arguing with me about it. Please be a kawaii girl.

All my prayers have been answered!
    All my prayers have been answered!
    prestonhedges

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100  Edited By prestonhedges
    @Koobz said:

I am a nerd whining about something. Someone validate my existence by arguing with me about it. Please be a kawaii girl.

I am going to complain about the fact that you are whining. When people whine about something it destroys my ability to get an erection. Please stop whining.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.