Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tales of Xillia

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Sep 08, 2011

The thirteenth title in the Tales franchise for PlayStation 3.

Tales of Xillia...do I pull the trigger??

• 53 results
    EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I mean it's only 10 bucks....I've never played a Tales game before and I have an itch for a JRPG...am I wasting my time?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#2  Edited By Yummylee

Xillia isn't very good, and I would personally recommend Vesperia instead, though it's exclusive to the 360 for English speaking audiences.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

it's certainly a deal but looking at all the jrpgs I've bought over the years I havent touched, I decided i better not add another that's not really considered must buy/play

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tales of Xillia is a good Tales of game or JRPG. Also the even better Xillia 2 comes out this year as well so if you really want to enjoy that you should play Xillia before 2. And for 10$ it is a steal so go for it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@edgekasey: For 10$ your really can't go wrong man. It was one of my favorite games from last year and one of the more charming JRPG games I've played in awhile.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Trigger pulled! Thanks for the input!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Xillia is fun, and for $10 it's more than worth it.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah nothing to lose, it's only 10 bucks and you might enjoy it.

I got it for full price and regretted it.

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Chop

Eh good luck. I'm a long time Tales fan (or I used to be, anyways) and I found Xilla to be one of the worst of the bunch.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By irrelevantjohn

I enjoyed my time with Xillia but the only real positive thing I can say is that the combat is the best in the series. Everything else is really meh and the game feels super rushed at the end. For $10 you can't go wrong unless you want something extra with your lunch.

Kyotsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Kyotsu

After a slump in the Tales series, I found Xillia to be quite the surprise. While it isn't a stellar JRPG, it plays very well and is essentially a fun romp. The game is fairly short and a steal at $10.

chemystery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

The timeline of Tales is really confusing to me 0.o

Fitzgerald

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Persona series and FF4, FF5, + FF6 but DON'T LIKE the Star Ocean series or Last Remnant. Is this a bad JRPG for me?

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Persona series and FF4, FF5, + FF6 but DON'T LIKE the Star Ocean series or Last Remnant. Is this a bad JRPG for me?

If you don't like the Star Ocean series then I would say avoid this game.

irrelevantjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chemystery: There isn't really a timeline aside from a few tales game that are sequels.

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
    TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#16  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

Damn, this just reminded me I bought the game during black Friday. I wish I could recommend it one way or the other, but 10 bucks is a pretty great deal regardless. I apparently deemed the 20 dollar price tag cheap enough to pick it up last November, so 10 sounds even better.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought it after it was brought up in the RPG of the generation thread. Its pretty good!

dagas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

That is a great deal for a game that came out not long ago. It was €30 at the PS3 holiday sale but I went with Ni No Kuni instead for just €8.

At this point I have 5 JRPG's on the PS3 alone that I have not finished, I should not be buying them.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By donchipotle

Xillia is a bad game but there are worse games to waste ten dollars on.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're a bad game.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@darji said:

Tales of Xillia is a good Tales of game or JRPG. Also the even better Xillia 2 comes out this year as well so if you really want to enjoy that you should play Xillia before 2. And for 10$ it is a steal so go for it.

It's 10 bucks now? That price sure dropped fast and hard.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By donchipotle

@donchipotle said:

You're a bad game.

Yeah but I'm upfront about it!

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@ravelle: It's part of Sony's 14 for '14 sale; it isn't always $10.

Ravelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ravelle: It's part of Sony's 14 for '14 sale; it isn't always $10.

Ah cool, I'll try to get it as soon as possible then.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By xyzygy

@yummylee: @chop: @donchipotle: What about Xillia do you guys not like? I am a fan of Tales but not a hardcore fan. I have only played Symphonia, Vesperia, and Graces. How does it stack up to those?

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy said:

@yummylee: @chop: @donchipotle: What about Xillia do you guys not like? I am a fan of Tales but not a hardcore fan. I have only played Symphonia, Vesperia, and Graces. How does it stack up to those?

Better than Graces, worse than the others. Xillia has a really boring story with bland characters with very little in the way of development or growth outside of their typical cliche roles. Jude is a poor leading character and Milla isn't much better. The battles are fine but a battle system is not enough to make a poor game good. I just found everything about it totally boring, uninteresting, and most certainly unfun. Everything about Xillia is just bland, from the look of the areas to the characters to the narrative.

I_Stay_Puft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

After you pull that trigger by the school uniform pack. I just imagine tales is some escaflowne type shit and they've come outta the present and are sent to the past.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xyzygy: Part of it is admittedly down to a sort of Tales fatigue. It's not like i play these games in quick succession, but they're so alike in the character and story department, that it frankly gets to be rather dull when you're going through what is essentially the exact same story again with yet another predictable set of anime archetypes.

Though even besides that, Xillia has an incredibly bland art style and suffers from a lot of technical issues, like framerate drops during combat and a significant amount of pop-in when you're exploring the towns. Then there's the fact that its over-world equivalent is an ugly, boring set of open-spaces, and the combat also never drew me in quite like it did in the older games. While it certainly has depth, a lot of it just feels really flat, and it wasn't good enough to keep me locked in. I eventually gave up after about... 30 hours I think, and even Graces F I was able to see through to the end, despite featuring some of the most aggravating and poorly written characters of recent memory.

Basically what a lot of it comes down to is Xillia being another Tales game, only this time it also lacks the charm and generally attractive visuals to help it stand against the series often rote storytelling. Plus the voice cast for your party isn't nearly as good as the ones found in Symphonia or Vesperia.

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By ervonymous

I swallowed bile and vomit to finish Tales of Graces f but couldn't bring myself to finish Xillia, story and characters weren't bad enough and combat was a step down from the speedy dodging of Graces.

>The androgynous-looking cat seems to want fish...

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disappointed to hear that xilia is not as good as vesperia, which had solid voice acting that got me through the cliche story.

McShank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

explain how Xillia is a bad game?

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcshank said:

explain how Xillia is a bad game?

Better than Graces, worse than the others. Xillia has a really boring story with bland characters with very little in the way of development or growth outside of their typical cliche roles. Jude is a poor leading character and Milla isn't much better. The battles are fine but a battle system is not enough to make a poor game good. I just found everything about it totally boring, uninteresting, and most certainly unfun. Everything about Xillia is just bland, from the look of the areas to the characters to the narrative.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Considering Xillia 2 is the better game and is coming out in English sometime this year, I'd wait.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Darji

@donchipotle said:

@xyzygy said:

How can you say that Xillia is worse than Symphonia with a straight face? I totally get people who think Vesperia is the better game but Symphonia? Especially in terms of Story Xillia is better. Not to mention the really bad combat system of Symphonia.

@bocam you will miss a ton of story and other stuff by not playing Xillia first.

Flappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This topic made me feel better about my decision to not follow this series. After playing through Symphonia with my cousins back on the original Gamecube, I got everything I needed out of the series.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By rorie

Played a little bit of it last night; the voice acting for the main lady character is painful. Definitely not grabbing me like Symphonia did. But oh well; ten bucks.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@donchipotle said:

@xyzygy said:

How can you say that Xillia is worse than Symphonia with a straight face? I totally get people who think Vesperia is the better game but Symphonia? Especially in terms of Story Xillia is better. Not to mention the really bad combat system of Symphonia.

Because Symphonia had a likable cast of characters and its thrust/strike artes system allowed for a bit of experimentation and customization with different categories and types of abilities. The combat is only bad in Symphonia in retrospect, and even so it's not a bad combat system at all, it's still fast and fluid but without things like full 3D movement, which isn't an issue. The story of Symphonia, while nothing amazing (none of the stories in any Tales game is anything above good, and that is reserved for Phantasia), is at least more engaging than Xillia and miles more entertaining. Lloyd goes from idiot to idealist which is more than I can say for Jude, who had absolutely no reason for following Milla except because of his puberty setting in at just the right time. Symphonia is a better game and I don't even really like Symphonia at all.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Curious where I'll fall with this, never having played any of the Tales games prior. Gunna try and jump in over the next day or so. It's either gunna grab me or not...But hey like everyone keeps saying, meh 10 bucks....i prolly blow that on coffee in a week.

Nice to see Sony doing a sale like this though, hopefully it becomes a somewhat regular occurrence and not once a year or every 6 months sort of thing.

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji said:

@bocam you will miss a ton of story and other stuff by not playing Xillia first.

Not really.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By musubi

@rorie: Keep with it Rorie! It gets better. Yeah, Millia's VO is sort of rough most of the other voice acting is at least passable.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4
    deactivated-5d7530f19fbe4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darji: @edgekasey: Darji, people can say that Xillia is worse than Symphonia with a straight face because it falls short of Symphonia in several ways, especially in story. I enjoyed Xillia quite a bit early on, but even then there were some glaring inconsistencies in the skits and different aspects of the story. I could overlook them at first because the Tales of games are mostly about lighthearted fun, but when Xillia got to its big twist, which was the same as Symphonia's in every single way, it was a slap in the face. And following that reveal, every scene that went for more serious character development was handle it the most awkward ways.

Also, the only problems with Symphonia's combat system were some awkward lines of movement when it came to having enemies in the foreground and background, and the occasion of getting stuck in a corner in solo arena battles. But the skills you learn in the game gave you several workarounds for the former, and the latter only appeared in a small part of the game. Xillia does deserve credit for its combat system; which I feel was as good as it was because it managed to capture the pace of simplicity of Symphonia's, while doing a good job with implementing free movement in the combat and having the interesting Link system.

But, despite feeling offended by how they handle the story, I did enjoy the game enough to feel it's worth $10, if only to try it out. Edgekasey, since you haven't played a Tales of game before, I'm sure you won't be as put off the game as I was, but go in knowing what to expect.

EdgeKasey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

S3v3nS1ns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By S3v3nS1ns

I beat Tales of Graces f and Tales of Vesperia and enjoyed both so I should enjoy Tales of Xillia too, right? $10 is hard to pass up. It's kind of distracting that the same VA for Flynn in Vesperia voices Jude in Xillia but I'm sure I'll get use to it after I play for a bit.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Spoonman671

I bought it and kind of expect not to like it. It's too easy to get money out of me.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Yummylee

@darji said:

@donchipotle said:

@xyzygy said:

Because Symphonia had a likable cast of characters and its thrust/strike artes system allowed for a bit of experimentation and customization with different categories and types of abilities. The combat is only bad in Symphonia in retrospect, and even so it's not a bad combat system at all, it's still fast and fluid but without things like full 3D movement, which isn't an issue. The story of Symphonia, while nothing amazing (none of the stories in any Tales game is anything above good, and that is reserved for Phantasia), is at least more engaging than Xillia and miles more entertaining. Lloyd goes from idiot to idealist which is more than I can say for Jude, who had absolutely no reason for following Milla except because of his puberty setting in at just the right time. Symphonia is a better game and I don't even really like Symphonia at all.

Boom. Plus Symphonia even looks better than Xillia, artistically speaking of course.

JBG4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

It is unquestionably worth 10 bucks... Great characters... You'll really enjoy it

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Please don't blow your brains out - we're here for you.

Darji

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Darji

@viciousanchovy said:

@darji: @edgekasey: Darji, people can say that Xillia is worse than Symphonia with a straight face because it falls short of Symphonia in several ways, especially in story. I enjoyed Xillia quite a bit early on, but even then there were some glaring inconsistencies in the skits and different aspects of the story. I could overlook them at first because the Tales of games are mostly about lighthearted fun, but when Xillia got to its big twist, which was the same as Symphonia's in every single way, it was a slap in the face. And following that reveal, every scene that went for more serious character development was handle it the most awkward ways.

Also, the only problems with Symphonia's combat system were some awkward lines of movement when it came to having enemies in the foreground and background, and the occasion of getting stuck in a corner in solo arena battles. But the skills you learn in the game gave you several workarounds for the former, and the latter only appeared in a small part of the game. Xillia does deserve credit for its combat system; which I feel was as good as it was because it managed to capture the pace of simplicity of Symphonia's, while doing a good job with implementing free movement in the combat and having the interesting Link system.

But, despite feeling offended by how they handle the story, I did enjoy the game enough to feel it's worth $10, if only to try it out. Edgekasey, since you haven't played a Tales of game before, I'm sure you won't be as put off the game as I was, but go in knowing what to expect.

I do not know about that in terms of story. Tales of games have basically all the same story aspects. At least the main parts. It is always about politics and religion. Yes Xillia is no Abyss but for me especially the scenes with Millla and Jude. The cast in general was the main motivivation for me in this game. The skits were great and then you had Alvin which was a very interesting character to say at least. Normally in Tales games I have a lot of characters I do not like but Xillia had not really a annoying character in my opinion. Even Tippo was tolerable. in Symphonia I hated almost everyone....

Chop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Chop

@xyzygy:

@yummylee explained it all better than I could. I guess the biggest thing for me, personally, was the stripped down battle system. To go from Graces to Xilla feels like going back in time =/

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.