Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Sep 11, 2011

Tekken's tag-team spin-off returns for its second round, building on the game engine of Tekken 6 with a whopping 44-character roster (later updated to 59).

Holy crap....never touching arcade mode again.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#1  Edited By musubi

So with out a doubt Arcade mode is the most frustrating bit of Tekken Tag Tourney 2 the end boss is garbage and I just find that mode the most frustrating of the lot. I've been still playing it though to unlock ending movies. Then...I had a break through... I totally found out you can unlock ending movies without having to play arcade mode! The "Gold" named ghosts in ghost battles give up a their ending movie if you beat them. Fantastic discovery! Now I never have to play that mode again!

Bocam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Bocam

I thought the end boss was Jun?

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By TechHits

@Bocam: it is, I beat it without dieing my first play through.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Hunter5024

There's another way to unlock them!? THANK GOD! I was able to beat her with my best 4 or 5 characters, but with every character after that it just felt like I was trying to slowly bash my head through a brick wall. Better Tekken players then I have commented that you just have to learn some really long tag assault combos and she becomes a piece of cake, but that's a lot of work for 40 characters.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By musubi

@Bocam: Er...kinda? The first round she is regular Jun after you beat her once she turns into "Unknown" and has insanely cheap moves like summoning giant hands from the ground and whatnot. Its pretty goddamn absurd and by far the least fun of the game.

Yep, it just starts to feel like a grind which sucks. Much rather play through ghost mode and online. At least if I lose in ghost mode I don't have to keep fighting the SAME TEAM over and over until I get past them. If you see opponents in Ghost Battle that have a gold nameplate choose to fight them and if you beat them the person you KO in the final round I believe you get his/her ending movie as well as a character part unlock.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Hunter5024

@Demoskinos: Sweet. Now if I can just figure out a way to unlock my characters customize parts really easily all of my frustrations with this game would be dissolved. Whoever decided to cripple the customize mode by forcing you to unlock all of the parts is an idiot.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By Hailinel

@Demoskinos said:

@Bocam: Er...kinda? The first round she is regular Jun after you beat her once she turns into "Unknown" and has insanely cheap moves like summoning giant hands from the ground and whatnot. Its pretty goddamn absurd and by far the least fun of the game.

So she turns into the boss of Tekken Tag Tournament, who was pretty much Jun back then, only it's more explicit now.

And it doesn't surprise me if fighting Unknown is bullshit. Tekken bosses like Jinpachi always throw in garbage that make the player abandon normal tactics for something ridiculous.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By musubi

@Hailinel: Yeah, the worst offender being this forcefield that can appear under you WITHOUT WARNING which then locks you in place and a giant hand tentacle monster thingy squishes you reducing you down to 1% health. Much like how the "gravity" spells work in Final Fantasy games the attack can never outright kill you but it knocks that character down to 1% and instantly forces the other member of the team in. I've only rarely been able to avoid it.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By musubi

Speaking of ending movies my god man this Kuma ending is just AH-MAZ-ING

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ImmortalSaiyan

I remember strongly disliking the Tekken 6 boss as well.

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By AngelN7

She's not Azazel man... Azazel Jesus Christ! my poor PSP still remembers the hard gripping and I didn't even bother with him on the Xbox 360 version.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By JJOR64

Yeah, arcade bosses are stupid. I really don't play Arcade Modes in fighters anymore. It's about that online son.

InfiniteGeass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#13  Edited By InfiniteGeass

Can't be any worse than Persona 4 Arena's score attack mode.

WalkerTR77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By WalkerTR77

Remember when the boss of Tekken games used to just be a guy? Tekken 2 just had Kazuya in a purple suit kicking the crap out of you. Since then it's been all ogres and griffon's and gadfellow's.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By csl316

@Demoskinos: That whole series with Xiaoyu and Kuma and Alisa is ridiculous. Xiaoyu's is weird and sentimental and I didn't know what had just happened.

I do like the twist in Heihachi's, too.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hunter5024

@WalkerTR77: Did you forget about the part in Tekken 2 where Kazuya turned into The Devil, and started flying around shooting laser beams at you and such?

Sagalla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#17  Edited By Sagalla

I think Unknown is a better boss than Jinpachi in Tekken 5, and Azazel in Tekken 6, and even Seth in Street Fighter 4... But yeah Ghost mode is where it's at. Unknown will become playable at some point, along with Dr Boskonovich!!

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#18  Edited By HadesTimes

Don't worry guys, just play a bunch of Ghost Battle Mode. Everything will unlock through that. You don't HAVE to beat arcade mode.

Avatar image for myelbowsfelloff
    MyElbowsFellOff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MyElbowsFellOff

@Demoskinos said:

@Hailinel: Yeah, the worst offender being this forcefield that can appear under you WITHOUT WARNING which then locks you in place and a giant hand tentacle monster thingy squishes you reducing you down to 1% health. Much like how the "gravity" spells work in Final Fantasy games the attack can never outright kill you but it knocks that character down to 1% and instantly forces the other member of the team in. I've only rarely been able to avoid it.

Although there is little warning it is easy to avoid if you sidestep it. The first time I beat Unknown I sidestepped it and she was left extremely vulnerable. Overall not as cheap as Jinpachi or Azazel it's mostly just hard AI. Just cheese your favourite juggle combos and don't stand there like a berk. Still it is pretty tacky that this massive difficulty spike that is basically a relic of the Arcade days to get people to put more coins in still exists on the consoles.

For those who've only played TAG1 Unknown has her own moveset now instead of borrowing other characters', although it's still basically Jun.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#20  Edited By Soap

As far as end bosses go it's crazy. I even bumped the game down to easy and she still managed to juggle me for an entire round as Jun and then use her basically one hit instant kill on me in two back to back rounds as unknown.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Red12b

That mode is fucked up. and the whole 'dudes in custom outfits' is god damned awful,

i'm probably going to return the game... I loved tekken 5, but I just don't like this at all

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#22  Edited By Yummylee

Is she any more annoying than Jinpachi from Tekken 5? That guy was a Grade-A cunt.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BoOzak

She's cheap yes, but I thought Azazel was worse. Most fighting games throw skill out the window when you reach the last stage. You just have to find the most efficient (cheapest) way to beat her with each character. I'll be damned if i'm going to do it for all the characters though. The ghost thing sounds like a better alternative, good find.

Vanek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Vanek

@Red12b said:

That mode is fucked up. and the whole 'dudes in custom outfits' is god damned awful,

i'm probably going to return the game... I loved tekken 5, but I just don't like this at all

I'm in the same boat. I wish I could turn off the custom outfits because most of the time they look terrible and they invade every mode I care about.

If this game has taught me anything it's that I no longer like Tekken. I loved it on the up to Tekken 3 but after that they've been changing how it plays and I just don't like it at all anymore.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#25  Edited By bibamatt

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

I remember strongly disliking the Tekken 6 boss as well.

Yeah, I remember hating the Tekken 6 boss. Sent the game back to LoveFilm in a rage. It's a shame because I love playing Tekken games.

Avatar image for lilbigsupermario
    lilbigsupermario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lilbigsupermario

How come I didn't have any problems beating Unknown? I used Lili and Jaycee team, I just launched her into the air, do a few juggles and a short tag combo. It actually worked for almost all of the AI opponents I fought. Maybe I was playing at medium difficulty?

I had a difficulty with an AI Miguel and Christie team. I just hate the Christie/Eddy capoeira fighting style...

It's frustrating to lose to an AI opponent, but come on, it's not that bad. That just means you may need to change tactics a bit.

DoctorDanger99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By DoctorDanger99

ive never understood why fighting games had such ridicuously hard arcade modes. it boggles the mind.

Ashuramaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Ashuramaru

For me, the worst part is that the difficulty scales to your top ranked character that starts the match. I was throwing in my main as a tag partner for fighters I was useless with, but it just ends up being crazy hard because I essentially have only one guy.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By kagato

Am i the only one having issues with the game freezing up for seconds at a time during arcade mode battles? ive found a couple of posts on other forums about it but nothing on here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba968afc02e5
    deactivated-5ba968afc02e5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jun and Unknown are both JUGGLE FREAKS! At some points it becomes absurd.

Although I will say Jun seems more authentic whereas Unknown feels cheap and nasty.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.