Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Darkness II

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Feb 07, 2012

Return to the dark life of Jackie Estacado in The Darkness II, Digital Extremes' sequel to the 2007 shooter by Starbreeze.

Is this going to be BioShock 2?

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Pie

The original talent whose strength was in story telling move on leaving another developer to work on it. The gameplay is far improved from the original but isn't what players are looking for from it. The story feels like it's trying too hard and trying to please the original fans of the first game too much. 

Discuss I guess?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Pie said:
    The original talent whose strength was in story telling move on leaving another developer to work on it. The gameplay is far improved from the original but isn't what players are looking for from it. The story feels like it's trying too hard and trying to please the original fans of the first game too much.  Discuss I guess?
    They changed Jackies voice actor so im kinda pissed right off the bat. 
    Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#3  Edited By Yummylee

I still need to play the first one... is it worth it even though I've already had the spoiler about Jackie's wife spoiled with cherries on top?

Avatar image for bulletproofmonk
    BulletproofMonk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By BulletproofMonk
    @Abyssfull: Sure. It's still a great story that should be experienced by everyone. And it's dirt cheap by now.
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Pie
    @The_Laughing_Man: Seriously? I thought that was just the bombcast crew not remembering the voice properly. Well that's a downer. 

@Abyssfull
    It's so cheap if you can find it and the wife dying is just a part of the story. I'd say it's well worth it still. Especially if you plan on getting the second 
    SlightConfuse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By SlightConfuse

i enjoyed the hell out of bioshock 2 so if it like hat then i have no problem

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @Pie said:
    @The_Laughing_Man: Seriously? I thought that was just the bombcast crew not remembering the voice properly. Well that's a downer. 

@Abyssfull: It's so cheap if you can find it and the wife dying is just a part of the story. I'd say it's well worth it still. Especially if you plan on getting the second 
    Nope its fully different. Look up some audio clips of the first game. Then listen to the second game. Very different. 
    PerryVandell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By PerryVandell

It's tough to say. The gameplay in the trailer looked much improved, but it was the excellent story that made me a fan of the original game. Considering The Darkness II isn't being made by Starbreeze, I can only hope that Digital Extremes does the series justice.

Jocund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Jocund
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Pie said:

@Abyssfull: It's so cheap if you can find it and the wife dying is just a part of the story. I'd say it's well worth it still. Especially if you plan on getting the second 
    Nope its fully different. Look up some audio clips of the first game. Then listen to the second game. Very different. 
    Yep. Pretty sure they've confirmed Nolan North as the new voice for Jackie. No joke. 
    The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
    @jocund said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Pie said:

Yep. Pretty sure they've confirmed Nolan North as the new voice for Jackie. No joke. 
    Fuck that shit
    Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pie
    @jocund said:
    @The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Pie said:

I have a few conflicting emotions about this information... 

@slightconfuse: It was a good and perhaps even great game but it wasn't a very good BioShock game
    nail1080

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nail1080

Bioshock 2 was amazing....

Jocund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Jocund
    @The_Laughing_Man said:

@jocund said:

@The_Laughing_Man said:
    @Pie said:

Fuck that shit
    Fuck that shit, indeed. Hopefully it really is just Mr. North helping Digital Extremes out of the goodness of his heart. This game was at E3, right? if so, was North's voice in that build?  

EDIT: I have no intention to derail the thread, I'm just curious is all. 
    Rolyatkcinmai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Rolyatkcinmai

@slightconfuse said:

i enjoyed the hell out of bioshock 2 so if it like hat then i have no problem

This.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pie
    @jocund: The bombcast mentions the voice sounding funny at E3
    NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By NTM
    @Pie said:

It's not his wife. Jackie is turning 21, and Jenny is his girl friend. I found it kind of awkward when I went back to the game not remembering he was only 21. 21!  
    And yeah, I thought Jackie sounded different in the videos too, but I thought I heard 2K say it wouldn't be right if they got a different voice actor. So I just kind of brushed it off as if he used a different voice for the second game as if he didn't remember how to do it again.
    toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By toowalrus

I haven't heard anything about the game yet that jumps out as "Wow, that's fuckin' retarded! I don't want to play as a Big Daddy!" If Nolan North ends up as the final voice, I'll definitely be playing.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NTM

FUCK! I read it wrong I guess. The voice will be the same for The Darkness, but it is Nolan North who does Jackie's voice! GRRAAHHHHHH! Hell no. Nolan North's voice is a joke now in any other game other than Uncharted, or Assassin's Creed.

Jocund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Jocund
    @Pie@NTM: Alright, with this info, I'm just gonna hope they're in-between voice actors and will find a way to ring in the original VO for Jackie. 

Edit: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By TheGreatGuero
    @Abyssfull said:
    I still need to play the first one... is it worth it even though I've already had the spoiler about Jackie's wife spoiled with cherries on top?
    I imagine it still probably ranks among my top 10 favorite games of this gen.
    big_jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#21  Edited By big_jon

@The_Laughing_Man said:

@Pie said:
    The original talent whose strength was in story telling move on leaving another developer to work on it. The gameplay is far improved from the original but isn't what players are looking for from it. The story feels like it's trying too hard and trying to please the original fans of the first game too much. Discuss I guess?
    They changed Jackies voice actor so im kinda pissed right off the bat.

Yeah, he sounded bad too.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Sooty

BioShock 2 was great. Well I thought the sisters were dumb but aside from that...

BoringK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 27

#23  Edited By BoringK

I am watching the end credits of The Darkness right now, having just played through it for the first time. The way I see it, there's a lot more room to improve on The Darkness than there was with Bioshock; plus it's been a longer wait (well, not for me but for those who played it when it first came out) between games. It's too bad they're changing Jackie's voice actor, but as long as Mike Fucking Patton is still The Darkness, I'm happy.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.