Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Game » consists of 31 releases. Released Mar 20, 2006

Travel the continent of Tamriel, defend the land against Oblivion's Daedra hordes, and help fill the empty throne of Cyrodiil in the fourth installment of the Elder Scrolls series.

the leveling system isn't that bad of an idea

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By kashif1

the end result of the leveling system in this game is that you become more skilled than your enemies without becoming unrealistically powerful.  its not a bad idea and is certainly more realistic if not as fun as traditional leveling

ryoma122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By ryoma122

hell no i wanna be so powerful that when i look at bad guys they drop dead lol 
    no just kidding i realy dont mind either wat since im not much of a fan

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By MikkaQ

No it's a terrible idea, because they scale everything in the dumbest way. There's literally no point in levelling up, I beat the campaign at level 2.  

Also when you DO level up, since everyone's possessions level up (for no good reason), you'll see even the poorest, shittiest roadside bandit with mad glass armor and high level weapons that just didn't exist in the universe till you got more powerful.  

The system lacked any thought to it. Every decision made there feels ass-backwards and was just thrown in to be the opposite of normal.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Demyx

I maxed out my illusion and created a 100% Chameleon Spell and just sneak attacked the shit out of everyone. So to a point, I would disagree.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By eroticfishcake

It sounds good in theory but it can be broken rather easily. Some people like the challenge wihilst others like the idea of being better then everyone else, hence why they bother leveling up. It's a hit or miss really. I on the other hand didn't have any problems with it though I can see the flaws in it.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By TheHBK

Well, I thought the idea of encountering more powerful enemies was cool, instead of encountering a super power rat later, you get two minotaur after your ass.  Though I had to look at screen shots to remember there were goblins in the game.  I miss them now.  But I can't remember, do guards and towns folk get stronger too?  I think I  might want to go back and wipe out a whole town.  Genocide baby.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By shadows_kill

the leveling in the bethesda games really turn me off. i like in jrpgs leveling and just being all powerful destroying guys but how they do it leveling does close to nothing.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By pause422

No the leveling in that game is awful. Thats why I changed it with mod.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f00787182625
    deactivated-5f00787182625

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The leveling system is pointless, I completed the main story line and a guild before I was level 10. 

Happy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Happy

I think they had a good idea with it. They just took it too far in my opinion.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#11  Edited By Driadon

It was a good idea in theory, though it was better executed in Morrowind, I find. 

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Jimbo

It ruined Oblivion for me.  You don't become more skilled than your enemies, they're just always slightly worse than you are.  Levelling was completely pointless as far as I could tell.

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By natetodamax

I like it, so screw all y'all

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#14  Edited By thatfrood
    @XII_Sniper said:
    " No it's a terrible idea, because they scale everything in the dumbest way. There's literally no point in levelling up, I beat the campaign at level 2.   Also when you DO level up, since everyone's possessions level up (for no good reason), you'll see even the poorest, shittiest roadside bandit with mad glass armor and high level weapons that just didn't exist in the universe till you got more powerful.    The system lacked any thought to it. Every decision made there feels ass-backwards and was just thrown in to be the opposite of normal. "
    Yep.
    I could have stomached the enemies leveling up, but when they added on the item leveling... I was simply insulted. Plus, the guards in the city are always a higher level than you. Always. I almost wonder why they didn't go save the world.
    ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#15  Edited By ArbitraryWater

The Elder Scrolls school of leveling is conceptually interesting, but when you factor in the fact that everything in the world scales to your level (Unless you download a mod or something) as well as all the "cheesy" skills that you can level up quickly it is somewhat flawed in practice. But I still like Oblivion, and still like it more than Fallout 3 (and Morrowind, but pretty much everything is better than Morrowind.)

HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HaltIamReptar

No, it's dumb dumb dumb.  I played for five hours without leveling up, once.  How do you let that happen in an RPG?

kashif1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kashif1
    @HaltIamReptar: you go to sleep in order to gain levels, the game tells you this
    HaltIamReptar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By HaltIamReptar
    @kashif1: I did not level up even, after that.  Because of the dumb leveling system.  What was it, ten major skill levels for one holistic level?  Dumb.
    Binman88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Binman88
    @Jimbo said:
    " It ruined Oblivion for me.  You don't become more skilled than your enemies, they're just always slightly worse than you are.  Levelling was completely pointless as far as I could tell. "
    As soon as I realised this way happening, I stopped playing.

They should have stuck to the system they had in Morrowind, like any other RPG, where you start out pretty much powerless and level up throughout the game so you can take on foes you wouldn't have stood a chance against before.
    EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EvilTwin

It definitely had problems, but you've got to make mistakes to learn, right?  Still, the game was amazing and the completely open feel of the game is so awesome.  As much as I love Bioware, it makes you feel so on rails playing those games.  Of course, there are things Bioware does better than Bethesda as well, and things Blizzard does better than either of them.  That's why they need to combine their forces to make a SUPER RPG.

gike987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By gike987

100% chameleon is basically god mode, you can max some of the skills by putting something heavy on the corresponding button for an hour, the system is made in such way that if you benefits from choosing skills you plan to use much as your minor skills so you can control your leveling and the list goes on. I would say it's one of the most broken system in an RPG ever.

Adamantium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Adamantium

Wow I really didn't know that many people disliked it. It's about the choices, people. You can choose to beat the storyline with little to no leveling, or you can choose to min/max to your heart's content. Though for those who beat the game at level 5-10. you definitely missed out on many of the side quests, which are impossible without ranking up to 20-25 at least.

It's about the journey, not the destination; and you get out of it what you put in.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.