Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Evil Within 2

Game » consists of 3 releases. Released Oct 13, 2017

The Evil Within 2 is a third-person survival horror game and the sequel to 2014's The Evil Within. Sebastian Castellanos journeys into STEM to locate his missing daughter, Lily, and encounters new horrors.

A first person mode in latest patch? Anyone check it out?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By NTM

Not much to say here other than what I asked in the title. I haven't played the game in a while, but I was just on Facebook and saw that they had updated the game with a first-person mode. I searched YouTube to see what that was all about. There's a trailer for it. I am not sure if it looks that good, but I wanted to see if anyone here tried it and could say what they thought. I know there was a first-person mod on PC, but I am not curious about that. I have the game on PS4 and on my second playthrough. I still haven't finished it on hard but am about midway through doing so. I might have to download it again and check it out. I wonder if they updated it because of the mod or because of RE7 or maybe just fan feedback. I think a first person mode can possibly make it more intense, I'm not sure.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I'm really interested in trying this out. I've been meaning to do a second playthrough and this will probably get me into it. From the trailer, it looks a lot more intense than the standard game. I feel like some of the horror elements could work better, as well.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Ezekiel

Already dropped and deleted this game. Only made it to chapter 7. One of the worst sequels I've ever played. They didn't understand the original.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NTM

@ezekiel: It's a little disappointing, but after Stefano I found the more linear end to be really great. And some really fun moments that recall the previous game's incidents.

@onekillwonder_: Yeah the benefit of having less peripheral view could make it tenser. The game is unfortunately not that scary, even on hard. The tensest it gets is when the hysteric's (pale women with knives) are around as they take more than a few hits if you don't get them in the head with a powerful enough weapon, and they can charge at you at a quick, creepy pace. I'm reinstalling it now to check it out.

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I've sold it and this alone wont make me rebuy it. (although it's pretty damn cheap now) If they add some story dlc i'll check this out though, looks like a cool feature.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: Kind of a pointless post. Nobody asked your opinion on the the game, so why try to come in here and do what appears to be your shtick (bag on why you think x series is going in the wrong direction because of your very specific reasoning)? Start your own thread.

This sounds really cool. I've tinkered with it some, and it seems pretty neat so far. I feel like it will definitely up the tension in certain situations, but I also think it could help with aiming things like the bow, which I didn't always have the easiest time with at first

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

@ezekiel: Kind of a pointless post. Nobody asked your opinion on the the game, so why try to come in here and do what appears to be your shtick (bag on why you think x series is going in the wrong direction because of your very specific reasoning)? Start your own thread.

^^^^^My exact thought every time this happens.

I loved this game. much MUUUCH better than the original. I'm excited to go through it again in first person now. This announcement is such a pleasant surprise. A VR mode would be crazy

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode said:

^^^^^My exact thought every time this happens.

Yep. It's kind of their persona now unfortunately. But! Let's not dwell on that (plus, it'll just get this thread locked at some point probably if it gets too vitriolic).

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By NTM

Trying it out now. It's interesting. I think I can deal with this and play the game with it. I kind of have to remember how to play it well though. That said, it does look a little awkward and unnatural, which makes sense. I think The Evil Within 2 is a great looking game, but it's not quite as good as Resident Evil 7 which I think was one of the best looking games of last year, so in that regard, it's a little underwhelming. This is a very cool update though and I can't wait to see it through in this view. I already got startled despite knowing what was going to happen because of the camera view where if I was doing it in the third person it wouldn't have been in my face and I would have probably seen it before it was meant to spook.

I do wish, however, that the game did everything in the first person. Some things like opening specific doors, talking on the walky-talky or other little things that require you to go into some scripted animation will still put you in the third person. It's not a huge issue, but it's slightly unfortunate. Oh, and the sprinting feels super slow in the first person. The game also has some framerate stutter in spots on PS4 and it feels more noticeable in the first person as well.

TheFlamingo352

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What a weird addition (I guess it's not unprecedented though).

There's no way this actually controls well, right?

mattschwabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: why would you post that? Has nothing to do with the topic, and no one asked for your opinion.

I know this seems confrontational, but there are people like you in every thread and I just want to know why.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ivdamke

Another Ezekiel complains thread ey?

First person mode was surprisingly fun in the DLC for the first one, I doubt this will bring me back or change my view on the sequel but I guess it's good that they're still supporting it despite its underwhelming sales.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By NTM

I just got done playing a few hours of it in the first person. I wouldn't call it great, but it's doable. The third person view is still preferable. I did Stefano's paintings and then defeated him and did a little bit of the crypt. If they were to fully implement the first-person view and make it better quality it could work great. I don't think it helps the aiming myself, especially if they're close to you. It makes the game slightly more challenging.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

@ezekiel said:

Already dropped and deleted this game. Only made it to chapter 7. One of the worst sequels I've ever played. They didn't understand the original.

Don't make disruptive shitposts like this again, please. Enough is enough.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Puchiko

How does this affect cover? Are you just looking at the wall or does it switch back to 3rd person? Also since your character isn't being drawn does the game run better or is shooting easier now? I don't like the 3rd person over the shoulder games cause it hard to see in front of you but the situational awareness to the sides is better.

I just beat it on Nightmare last night and will try this later on Casual.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The day it came out I tried it. Was pretty cool. For context the mode was always in the game you just had to type in console commands to enable it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I'm interested in trying it. I played the original up to a certain point and while the beginning psychadelic parts were really unique, the later levels that started to heavily resemble RE4 were kind of turning me off from it. Running around in a weirdly twisting and changing mental institute that reminded me of Jacobs Ladder was pretty cool compared to the weird european village levels that followed. Either way when this hits an even bigger sale, and it probably will, I'll pick it up and it's good to know it will have some cool stuff waiting on the side.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@casepb: That was the PC version only so it's new to anyone else that isn't playing the PC version, and okay, I had assumed it was a mod (I didn't look too much into it though).

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

I still need to play this but I was surprised how well the 1st person worked in that last TEW1 DLC and how good it felt, though the DLC was kinda of a stinker.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Ezekiel

Evil Within 2 did suck. I hoped and waited for a sequel and was excited when one was finally announced, but the bosses were bland and going open world was a mistake. I wasn't fond of crafting bullets either. I deleted it at chapter 7. Therefore, this new addition is useless to me. I don't see why I should have been suspended for saying that. Mike explained the karma system to me. I always assumed a mod was notified by flags, but he said users can just suspend you automatically by pressing the flag button. Sounds like users can suspend anyone for any reason they like. He said that's not how it works at all, but without a higher authority to actually review those flags and make the decision, I don't see how it could work any other way.

Anyway, I didn't think the first person view in the Executioner DLC of the first game worked that well. It was my least favorite of the DLCs. The over-the-shoulder view in Evil Within 2 isn't as zoomed in and obstructive as in the original, so this addition wouldn't do much for me anyway.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ezekiel: Good way to double down on what you just got told not to do, it's like you want to be banned.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By paulmako

I was actually thinking about replaying the game recently, so this is a good excuse to do just that. Really enjoyed it first time around. I wonder if it has any impact on the difficulty or balancing of the game.

Also Evil Within 2 has one of my favourite ending sequences in a game because they dedicate a decent amount of time to it. It all feels like a genuine finale.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Ezekiel

Thanks to whoever just lifted the second suspension that IVDAMKE placed on me.

@ivdamke said:

@ezekiel: Good way to double down on what you just got told not to do, it's like you want to be banned.

I did nothing wrong. I'm not gonna sit here and be dogpiled. There is little difference between my original post and the one by paulmako above me. Half of what he said is irrelevant to the topic. You just happen to disagree with mine. I looked at the rules.

"1. NO flaming, trolling, disruptive activity or posts which encourage such behavior: Includes but not limited to posting inflammatory comments with the intent of starting an argument or flame war, quoting inflammatory posts or comments made off-site, or attempting to derail conversations with dismissive or off-topic posts."

Emphasis on the word "intent". I didn't intend to start a flame war. I didn't think you would be so bothered by what I had to say. It's ridiculous to force someone to be optimistic about a subject when they don't feel that way. The problem is that you probably believe modern gaming to be objectively good, so when someone disagrees and believes the majority of what's coming out now is weak, there has to be some ulterior motive. It doesn't fit in with your group mentality. You're the one making a problem out of it.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

I finished the game a few days before this was patched in, so I'm not in any particular mood to play through it again. I did start it up and it works pretty well, except when it has to move between first and third person because they didn't do first person animations for most involved interactions.

As an aside, as leaps between sequels go, this is easily on par with the leap from Assassin's Creed 1 to 2. This is so much better than the first game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.