Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Evil Within

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 14, 2014

While investigating a mass murder, Detective Sebastian Castellanos descends into a gruesome, nightmarish world. This third-person survival horror game marks the debut of Tango Gameworks, a studio headed by Resident Evil progenitor Shinji Mikami.

Is this worth getting?

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

Poll Is this worth getting? (91 votes)

Yes 63%
    No 35%

I just got a ps4 and I was always interested in this game but heard a lot of mixed word of mouth.

Has most of the issues been addressed?

• 
    Frybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

I'd say no. Played it on PC and didn't enjoy it enough to play it longer than 2-3 ish hours.

Even outside of considering how cramped your view is (wich is not the fault of the forced aspect ratio alone, The Order worked well enough with the smaller screen estate), i had a hard time finding enjoyment out of this since it just didn't play that great and felt clumsy to control.

That said, i do know that the game is incredibly divisive and that there are a few good setpieces later in the game

......but at the same time, i honestly enjoyed RE:5 and even RE:6 (It's a shitty game, but it works well enough to get through it in CoOp with a like minded friend) and such tolerance wasn't enough for TEW.

Lost_Remnant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If survival horror games are your jam, especially ones that tip toward the harder side of things then definitely. They've updated the game since then to be more stable and the last patch they put out allows you to play with either the smaller screen size or full screen.

The Evil Within has become an either love it or hate it game and for my money I absolutely loved it, was nearly my GOTY last year only being edged out by Sunset Overdrive. The game can be gotten pretty cheap now if you grab a retail copy (I noticed Gamestop is selling new copies for twenty bucks) and I would say is worth it. The story is pretty whatever but I thought the combat was some of the most satisfying and tense I've seen in a game and a long while.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Icemael

I can't recommend it, but I can't recommend against it either. It's not a bad game. Aesthetically and atmospherically it's great, apart from feeling a bit disjointed. But the combat is designed in a way that betrays a complete misunderstanding of why Resident Evil 4's system and enemy design (which is what it uses as its foundation) worked so well. Several cool things from RE4 are absent (contextual melee attacks, Plagas etc.) and while played mobility has been improved (but is still limited -- there are no dodge rolls, for instance) the enemies haven't received any comparable upgrade, which means they're not that much fun to fight because it's so easy to outmaneuver them. You don't have to worry about getting cornered, you don't have to worry about getting surrounded, you don't have to pay attention to the environment -- or more accurately, you do have to worry about all of these things, but far less than in Resident Evil 4, and the game is much less interesting as a consequence. The story isn't very interesting either.

Again, it's not a bad game. I played through the whole thing and enjoyed it. If you can get it for cheap and don't have anything else that you're genuinely excited to play, it's not not worth getting. But it's the worst game Mikami has directed in over a decade.

Lucifer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lucifer

It has a nonsensical story, mediocre gameplay, hilariously bad acting, shitty performance and is all around rough around the edges.

Yet it is easily one of the most memorable games in recent years for me. Even though it is a horror game, I feel the horror is almost secondary. It has a certain charm and quirk that is so typical of Shinji Mikami. The campiness of Resident Evil certainly shines through, but it is still very much its own thing.

The Evil Within is a very hard sell; because the things some people love about is also what many others hate. The best way I can describe it is that it feels like a japanese horror game released 10 years ago, but with modern elements kind of hamfisted in at the last second, for better or worse.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#5  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Here's my review, if you're interested.

If you want the short version: The game is divisive enough that I think you should give it a look to see for yourself (at a reasonable price. Like $20-25ish). For my part, I found The Evil Within to be an inconsistent, sometimes messy game that evokes Resident Evil 4 when it works and evokes Resident Evil 6 when it doesn't. It should probably also be noted that they patched in a toggle to remove the widescreen bars for the console versions at some point, so that's not quite the issue it used to be.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

thanks for the input everyone. seems like one of those games i just have to see where i land on. i'm gonna pick it up 'cause it's only $20 and i like mikami and flawed games.

glots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lucifer said:

It has a nonsensical story, mediocre gameplay, hilariously bad acting, shitty performance and is all around rough around the edges.

This, though it really wasn't that memorable for me. But I played through the whole damned thing, which seems to be a rare thing for me these days. Maybe it was the fact that PS4 was lacking with third-person shooters, especially horror ones, that made me buy it. I remember just being really annoyed by the terrible acting and performance. Don't know if the latter's any better on PC.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It is not a good video game. If you are looking for horror, it doesn't do that well, if you are looking for a fulfilling narrative, it falls way short, and if you're looking for an action game, it doesn't play well either. If you like Mikami games though, I can see it being worth the 20$ just to experience it.

donutfever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

It's not super scary, the combat has highs and lows depending what point you're at in the game, but it's got a certain charm to it.

If you liked Resident Evil 4 you should check it out, it's like a spiritual successor that experiments with a bunch of new mechanics, some of which are hits and some of which are misses.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#10  Edited By cornbredx

The issues are by design, they're not bugs or whatever. They aren't things that can be "fixed".

The screen is, by design, boxed to fill less of the screen. You see less of the screen than normal. They say it's for affect, but really it's because they're bad programmers and wanted to stabilize the frame rate. Even on PC if you remove it it's not a solution because the game is designed to be this way.

The story is stupid. Often hilariously so. The game's director was inspired by Inception. That's all you need to know.

There are a lot of "boss" fights that involve running around in a circle like you're in a Naked Gun movie- you know that scene where they had that gun fight around a small tin trash can. Ya. It's quite comical and stupid (this was the worst part of the game for me).

Despite it's flaws (there's more) sure it's kinda fun and at times it's even kinda creepy. If it's cheap now I'd say it'd be fine. It's not really a game to get a console for, though.

It's definitely better than Resident Evil 4 which is an all around awful game. So, there's that.

Really, though, SOMA is out. If you want a cheap good horror game get that (Yes, as far as I know it's on PC and PS4).

supermonkey122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It's definitely better than Resident Evil 4 which is an all around awful game. So, there's that.

What.

As for the question, no. I got it on Black Friday last year for $25 and hated it.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No because the issues with the game are with design. The problems can't be "adressed"

It's a pretty mediocre game. Very disappointing if you like survival horror too.

No Caption Provided

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved the evil within,so i would for sure recommend it.However,its not as good as resident evil 4,so dont go into it expecting it to be and you should enjoy it.

Getz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked this game a lot, even though it's a flawed game in many ways. Amazon seems to be selling it used for pretty cheap so I say go for it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b031d0e868a5
    deactivated-5b031d0e868a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

I go by the stance that every game is worth getting and playing - those worth keeping are another matter completely...

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By NTM

It's not a great game, but the scariest moments are certainly worth experiencing. It's a game I wish I liked more, and wanted to get through again, but couldn't do it because I just didn't enjoy it enough. You know, they updated the game and let you change the aspect ratio, which is cool, but the bigger issue was the FOV on consoles. I mean, when I originally went through it, it wasn't that big an issue as I was more focused on other aspects, but jumping back in, it was bothersome. Also, the game tries to split action and horror, and that idea alone is cool, but I feel like they don't really give you a whole bunch of ammo to do all of your tasks with the most ease, so there was a boss I encountered, and all I was left to do was dodge and wait it out until the moment was over; it's a part where you're stuck on a truck as enemies shoot down at you, and then a huge creature chases the truck.

They, for basically every moment only give you just enough for each moment, so you have to conserve it more so than the other action oriented shooters like RE4, but I think it's done somewhat badly at times. The story is somewhat interesting, though the way it's presented is kind of goofy. Any time these come up, I think "maybe I'll go through it again". Anyways, the horror moments as opposed to the more dull action moments are worth playing through; they always consist of more closed off spaces in which you have to do something to get out, all the while hideous-looking creatures chase you. Oh, and I wish the frame rate was a little more steady. Honestly, if I had played it on PC, I think I would have liked it slightly more merely due to the fact you can (at least I think) change the FOV, and have a higher frame rate.

As an answer: I think if it interests you, you should play it. Mixed opinions from people shouldn't stop you from playing a game that you're interested in playing, otherwise that may deprive you of something that you may love, and then if you dislike it... Just hope you don't regret the purchase I suppose.

edgaras1103

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really liked diverse environments and look . The horror and creepy stuff was also awesome. While playing this I thought "Wow I like it very much" then came the midpoint and everything went to shit with this game. I mean from tense/horror levels to just stupid shoot outs. I was just at awe how the quality of the game went down. I mean it is not a total garbage. But know you need to have a high tolerance for bullshit this game throws at you to make it an enjoyable experience.

The headshots were really crazy satisfying tough.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#19  Edited By Humanity
    BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

so the game is on sale for 19 bucks. how well does it stack up for that price?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@bradbrains: Go for it. It's absolutely worth giving a look at that price.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.