Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Last of Us

Game » consists of 11 releases. Released Jun 14, 2013

Joel and Ellie must survive in a post-apocalyptic world where a deadly parasitic fungus infects people's brains in this PS3 exclusive third-person action-adventure game from Naughty Dog.

Confirmed: No upgrade discount for PS3 owners

• 62 results
    Sooperspy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 17

According to this IGN article, the upcoming PS4 re-release of The Last of Us will not support an upgrade discount from PS3 to PS4 feature, like most were hoping.

I don't really know how I feel about this. On one hand, no one is really entitled to an upgrade discount. On the other hand, I already have paid $90 for the original product and DLC (yeah, I bought the first map pack by itself for $10, then I decided to buy the season pass for the second map pack and Left Behind dlc for $20 (stupid, I know)). I would love to play what I already believe to be the best game ever made on PS4, but is the $50 price tag worth it after paying $90 for the same game already? Most likely won't pick this up at release, but will when the price drops a bit more. I feel $30 would be an alright price to pay.

So, there's my thoughts on the subject. How do you feel about this?

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 13

Loading Video...

mikey87144

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Wait for it to go on sale and buy it then.

emfromthesea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I will buy it eventually, but I'm not paying full price for a remake of a game I already payed for. No matter how much I enjoyed it.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To put an actual response, I might get it when it drops a bit in price. It's hard to justify another $50 for a game I already own, even if it was one of my favorites of last year.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I think it's fair enough at this stage they don't offer an upgrade for it. You can probably pick TLOU up on PS3 for about 20/30 quid now. If they announced an upgrade, people would just go out and buy preowned copies and upgrade. If they announced a digital only upgrade from PS3 to PS4 disc owners would cry fowl.

I never played it on PS3 so I don't mind paying the €40 asking price for it. If you already played it on PS3 though, I'm sure you can wait for a sale on it.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You could always trade in your PS3 copy towards the PS4 copy and so that is kind of a discount, I guess. Given the PS3 version gets good trade anywhere. That's pretty much what I plan to do anyways.

Avatar image for video_game_king
    Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

What's the advantage of buying the PS4 version if you've already played it on the PS3? Besides graphics, of course.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What's the advantage of buying the PS4 version if you've already played it on the PS3? Besides graphics, of course.

The PS4 controller is roughly 1000 times better than the PS3 controller. Also, 60 FPS, son!

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Corevi

@mooseymcman: You can use the PS4 controller on the PS3 version of the game, but the triggers are swapped (L1 and R1 for aiming and shooting).

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i dont have a problem with it not having a discount.to me if you played it on ps3 you got your moneys worth and if you care about graphics that much to get the ps4 version, then not having a discount wont stop you from buying it since the price would still be up there even after the discount.however a discount would be and is always nice to have.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: You can use the PS4 controller on the PS3 version of the game, but the triggers are swapped (L1 and R1 for aiming and shooting).

Eh, not really. I tried, and you can't use motion controls, which means you can't shake the stupid flashlight. When I got to that point, I just stopped replaying it.

l4wd0g

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

why would you even buy it again? It was great. It was also only a year ago. you can't tell publishers this is in anyway OK or it will become an awful trend.

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By BonOrbitz

@mooseymcman said:

@video_game_king said:

The PS4 controller is roughly 1000 times better than the PS3 controller. Also, 60 FPS, son!

Exactly. I'll be getting a Destiny white PS4 in September and plan on picking up TLOU just so I can play it with a controller that doesn't have a fucked up dead zone!

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman said:

@video_game_king said:

Exactly. I'll be getting a Destiny white PS4 in September and plan on picking up TLOU just so I can play it with a controller that doesn't have a fucked up dead zone!

Never mind the fact that the PS4 version is going to look and run better to boot!

BonOrbitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman said:

@bonorbitz said:

@mooseymcman said:

@video_game_king said:

Never mind the fact that the PS4 version is going to look and run better to boot!

Double true! Not that I've gone outta my way to look for them, but are there any good videos out there showing the PS4 version in action?

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Well, that's what I figured, but still a bummer. I'll get it when it hits dirt price. Too many other games I haven't played to buy.

For the record, I bought TLOU for PS3 then hit an absurdly rare bug that ruined my game and I never finished it.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By yakov456

While I didn't expect it this would have been the only way I'd get this again. Oh well.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@l4wd0g said:

why would you even buy it again? It was great. It was also only a year ago. you can't tell publishers this is in anyway OK or it will become an awful trend.

Unless we get a new console generation every year I don't see this becoming a trend. This is just their chance on a new console to go "Hey guys, lets turn the graphics to max!" Even if it is hugely successful I don't see many game companies following in suit of rebooting their games every year.
    That's what sequels are for after all.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't know why this is news worthy as there never was any words of this happening. Also when has a hd remake had a discount program aside from upgrading at launch of the xbone and ps4. I say you can wait for a deal if you don't want to double dip, as i'm sure by holiday there will be some kind of deal on it.

MetalBaofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I liked the game, but I didn't really think it was worth buying in the first place, much less buying it a second time. Especially when there are games coming that I haven't actually played yet(Destiny, Diablo 3, Dragon Age, etc.).

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You don't have to buy the game again, guys.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

That's a shame. I still want to buy its PS4 port one day and save another playthrough for that version, but not for full price. I at least didn't buy the full season pass (but did buy Left Behind), so when I do get it there'll at least technically be some new content awaiting me.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The game is a year old. I say fair play.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Dang. It would've been nice to at least offer a discount for owners of Playstation Plus on Day 1 the day they do for big indie games.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@bonorbitz said:

@mooseymcman said:

@video_game_king said:

Yah but sadly the PS4 version won't fix the rather half baked gameplay, sadly!

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Video_Game_King

@humanity said:

@mooseymcman said:

I'm inclined to agree with you, depending on your definition of "gameplay."

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ripelivejam
    MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

@mooseymcman said:

@bonorbitz said:

@mooseymcman said:

@video_game_king said:

What do you mean? The game play in The Last of Us was FANTASTIC.

phantomzxro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

Need more information, because this does not compute.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Humanity

@humanity said:

@mooseymcman said:

@bonorbitz said:

@mooseymcman said:

@video_game_king said:

What do you mean? The game play in The Last of Us was FANTASTIC.

The story was fantastic. The gameplay was a mix of half baked stealth combined with half baked survival. Overall it sort of just felt clunky. People tend to give the gameplay aspect a lot more credit than it's due probably because the story was so well paced - but the two were very much at odds with one another.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity said:

People tend to give the gameplay aspect a lot more credit than it's due probably because the story was so well paced - but the two were very much at odds with one another.

Half the time, yes. (Hooray for sneaking!) Half the time, no. (How do you upgrade a bow?!)

Also, well paced? From Joel getting impaled onward, the story felt like it was lumbering slowly toward its own death.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I've shown plenty of people the library combat section of the game and all of them felt that I was an incredibly visceral, intense experience that had them rethinking their opinion of them game (most people I know with PS3s had no interest in the game because they thought it would be like Heavy Rain or a super serious Dead Rising).

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I enjoyed the game part of The Last of US a lot more than the story.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mooseymcman: Well everyone is entitled to their own opinions and enjoyment obviously. I did not enjoy playing the game half as much as I enjoyed unraveling the story and I think objectively the gameplay mechanics just weren't that great. For a game of such scope it felt strange how half baked a lot of it was.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I disagree with it being half baked, but I'd have to replay to formulate a coherent response.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yay for not buying it on PS3! I remember hearing that the game was going to be one of Playstation Now's flagship titles for that service before the remake was announced, so I held off, knowing I'd be buying that PS4 at launch.

And now, I get a technically superior version of an already beautiful game with all the DLC for less than most of you PS3 players paid for it, so I call that a win!

ike7779

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Meh, I didn't get a discount for Tomb Raider on PS4 and I don't regret buying it again. Probably the game I've put most time into on PS4 so far.

marc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still don't understand why people expect a discount on these games getting re-released. Yes, 3 games at launch offered it. But that was different. These were games that had the last gen and current gen versions being developed concurrently. It isn't the same with games like Tomb Raider and The Last of Us. They devs had to put a lot of work into the next gen versions. If people wanna save a few bucks because they own the PS3 version, then sell it and put the cash towards the upgrade. Boom. I got $40 for my PS3 copy once they announced the remastered version.

koolaid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My thoughts are that I super lucked out. My friend at work didn't play The Last of Us and I didn't play GTA 5. Now I'll play through GTA5 and trade for TLOU.

Loading Video...

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@humanity said:

@mooseymcman: Well everyone is entitled to their own opinions and enjoyment obviously. I did not enjoy playing the game half as much as I enjoyed unraveling the story and I think objectively the gameplay mechanics just weren't that great. For a game of such scope it felt strange how half baked a lot of it was.

Stating that the gameplay mechanics objectively weren't that great is ridiculous.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Honestly, I don't know why anyone would feel entitled to an upgrade like this. Be thankful they did upgrades at launch at all.

excido

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea I wasn't expected a discount, not sure why some people are. Just because the game was just released doesn't mean it's gonna be any cheaper. If you don't think it's worth it at full price then just wait and the price will go down. Or buy it for ps3 at a big discount.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ok with this. I mean, it would have been nice to get a discount, but it doesn't happen with other media e.g. repurchasing a film on Blu-ray.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I personally don't care. I honestly was fine with buying it at $59.99, and even more happy now that it's ten bucks less.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Developer commentary.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@baillie said:

You don't have to buy the game again, guys.

but what if we want to?

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

/shrug

tp0p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My advice is go out and buy an xbox one :P

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.