Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Game » consists of 16 releases. Released Mar 03, 2017

The first HD installment of the Zelda series developed for the Wii U and Nintendo Switch that returns to the open-world design of the original NES title, with a focus on free exploration of a large scale environment as well as dangerous enemies.

Spoiler: I just got the Master Sword and I have a question.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So it warned me about misuse of the weapon and how it has a recharge. What is the actual recharge time? I'm afraid to use it until I figure that out. Thanks Duders.

Avatar image for dekkadekkadekka
    dekkadekkadekka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By dekkadekkadekka

10 minutes. It'll tell you on the weapons screen how long until it has recharged.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Quantris

It tells you not to use it as a can opener, but you should basically do exactly that. Only worry about the recharging when you're pursuing something specific (e.g. it's effective on guardians so when hunting those keep it ready). For random tooling around it's a good default for stuff like stal-enemies, chopping trees, breaking rocks, hitting switches, etc.

also try throwing it while at full health

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By wchigo

I've also come across times where my sword doubled its damage up to 60 from its normal of 30. I think I was in places that were steeped in Ganon's corruption when it happened though, so maybe that was what did it?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@quantris said:

It tells you not to use it as a can opener, but you should basically do exactly that. Only worry about the recharging when you're pursuing something specific (e.g. it's effective on guardians so when hunting those keep it ready). For random tooling around it's a good default for stuff like stal-enemies, chopping trees, breaking rocks, hitting switches, etc.

also try throwing it while at full health

This is exactly what I used it for. Suddenly I didn't have to use any special weapons for mundane tasks, I could just use the Master Sword! It will come back, so it doesn't matter if it breaks while trying to crack open an ore vein.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

@wchigo said:

I've also come across times where my sword doubled its damage up to 60 from its normal of 30. I think I was in places that were steeped in Ganon's corruption when it happened though, so maybe that was what did it?

It does double damage when you're near one of Ganon's incarnations or when you're near a guardian of some sort. I usually found parrying and/or Ancient Arrows better for fighting guardians than the Master Sword, though. I think the Master Sword becomes invincible when it's doing double damage, but I'm not a hundred percent sure on that one.

wchigo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@justin258: I do remember hearing from somewhere that it won't break when used against bosses, but haven't had the chance to test it myself.

And yeah, I've been using the parry to kill Guardians and have gotten pretty decent at it, though occasionally I'll end up fudging the timing multiple times in a row...

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

I've been making some slow, gradual progress on this game, but haven't pulled the Master Sword yet. Can you cheese it by getting a bunch of yellow hearts, or does the sword extracting animation only use up your real red hearts?

Forcen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By Forcen

Another thing I didn't realize immediately about the master sword is that instead of throwing it you can project slashes but only if you have full health. I tried throwing it when i didn't have full health and thought it just was unthrowable and didn't try it again that much since it made sense that it didn't do more if you pressed R. Later I tried it with full health(red hearts) and realized the hidden feature.

@bisonhero: Red or dead.

MakoTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Unfortunately no. The magic number is 13.

cerberus3dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know this when I was playing, I only used it on the final boss because I thought it would break!

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thanks for the info. While I have you all here, how many stamina wheels should I have to tame horses, because it seems ridiculous. The only horse I have is one I jumped on and it was immediately chill. Any horse that attempts to buck me off (solid colour horse, giant horse, royal white horse, deer) succeeds. As the saying goes, the horse always wins.

Am I doing it wrong, because I'm basically just mashing L. Do I just need like a zillion stamina wheels?

mcleangillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mcleangillo

You just need zillion stamina for your sword.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Another thing about the Master Sword is that it doesn't start recharging until it is fully broken. So if you are one hit away from breaking it, but then go and run around for 10 minutes not fighting enemies, the sword will not have recharged, and will still be one hit away from breaking. So it is best to fully break it if you can.

mrpandaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@bisonhero: Usually maybe a little more than 1 ring of stamina, but you can get around that by having food or elixirs that restore stamina or give you more stamina. While trying to tame a horse you can eat/drink foods and elixirs.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You serve it now.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.