Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

Anyone else not feeling this game?

• 171 results
    bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By bigmess

I just wanna know where da +'s at

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@muftyriots: If you see solving puzzles as "busywork" only there to progress a story, then yeah you definitely bought the wrong game.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#54  Edited By Zevvion
    @nime said:

@muftyriots: If you see solving puzzles as "busywork" only there to progress a story, then yeah you definitely bought the wrong game.

I don't think that's what he meant to say. It's just that there isn't any other thing than puzzles to break it up and make the game flow nicely. There is no reward except more puzzles. Which isn't necessarily poor design, it just doesn't make most people feel rewarded.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Nime

@zevvion: To me, I found finishing zones immensely rewarding. Also returning to earlier areas with knowledge from later areas to open up shortcuts and such was also very rewarding. Seeing a door for the entire game you don't know how to open only to return to it at the end and finally crack its code was hugely satisfying. I guess those aren't traditional narrative rewards but those are certainly rewards.

To go back to the Dark Souls comparisons, the reason beating bosses in those games is so satisfying is not because there is a big shiny chest right afterwards or piece of plot, but because of the fight itself and how long you've worked at it. Beating a challenging boss is its own reward, and thats how I feel about the puzzles in this game.

Hunkulese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:
    @hunkulese said:

All the areas are pretty distinct and there's only one, maybe two, that really require that you've completed another area to understand. I found it to be pretty linear. Go to an area, follow the cables, light the laser. I didn't really need to do any wandering around.

I've had a vastly different experience. It's quite the opposite for me. There are a couple area's that I could figure out, but most of them had at least one if not two mechanics that I hadn't seen before.

I do get the comparison to Dark Souls @excitable_misunderstood_genius and @bigmess but I think it compares poorly for the purpose. In Dark Souls, you could go in three directions. Two of which were 'too hard' to tackle. That is different from this, because when you move from one area to another, your damage output and the damage you take immediately communicate to you if you are in a fair area. In The Witness you're doing puzzles, solving them without really knowing why and then find out you're in the wrong area and can't progress. You look for a new one, but instead of 3 directions, there are... I don't even know how many directions to go to.

Perhaps I messed up by immediately exploring the island, but the place where I had to be felt pretty off to the side. If you started the game, solved the tutorial area, and then the next area to go to was next to you, that would've been better. But to me it felt like it was on the other side of the island.

Every area has new concepts that you haven't see before and doing other areas before them won't really help you out. Everywhere you can go from the start, with the exception of the central town, should be solvable with only the area's tutorial, and the only tutorial that I had difficulty finding was in the Jungle. The quarry is the only one I can really think of where prior knowledge might be essential. The bunker, the desert, the tree temple, the apple puzzles, the jungle, the swamp, the outlining stuff area, and the maze castle can all be completed fairly easily without any other knowledge.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nime said:

@zevvion: To me, I found finishing zones immensely rewarding. Also returning to earlier areas with knowledge from later areas to open up shortcuts and such was also very rewarding. Seeing a door for the entire game you don't know how to open only to return to it at the end and finally crack its code was hugely satisfying. I guess those aren't traditional narrative rewards but those are certainly rewards.

To go back to the Dark Souls comparisons, the reason beating bosses in those games is so satisfying is not because there is a big shiny chest right afterwards or piece of plot, but because of the fight itself and how long you've worked at it. Beating a challenging boss is its own reward, and thats how I feel about the puzzles in this game.

Fair enough. I just haven't had that feeling so far with this game. I do get the Dark Souls comparison, and do agree with it, just haven't felt it here yet. Again though, might be the wrong time for me to play this.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:
    @nime said:

@zevvion: When the door to the sea opened it should have also lit up a cable in the house. Follow that cable.

Thanks, this actually helped. I've been solving puzzles on literally the other side of the island for a while now. I went back here, but the puzzles here are ridiculously easy by comparison. I guess the game makes me feel smart for skipping all the intended area's and still being able to solve puzzles (and stupid for not seeing the cable light up in the area I was supposed to be in, but let's not focus on that).

This was an excellent tip, @nime. I didn't consider myself stuck; I 'completed' the house to cause the transformation, but then I just moved on to the red trees on the bluffs area, completed that, and then completed the sand area. Then I did a ton of the obelisk puzzles. That's what I enjoy so much about this game: I never feel stuck. I never feel dissatisfied. I didn't even know there was more to do at that house, and though I may end up needing to do whatever that is (still haven't gotten home to try out the tip), I was able to move swiftly on and make tons of progress.

I think the core issue that Zevvion was having was just wandering off in a completely different direction than they "should" have. Yes, the game is completely open, but really there does appear to be some relative order to the areas and without adhering to that implied order, one can easily feel like they are beating their head against a wall. Zevv, if you had hit the sand area early on (the implied third area), I bet you wouldn't have felt quite like you were struggling so much as it very explicitly teaches you how to start thinking more broadly about how to work the puzzles.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigmess: I'm dying to know what the +'s are!! Hearing everyone talk about how amazing they are is driving me crazy. I have done over 200 panels and I have yet to get any +. I'm sure I will figure it out eventually. Don't tell me but I suspect it's something to do with those black pillars that hum really loud :/

I love this maddening game!

bigmess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pompouspizza: I won't give you any real clues other than a small piece of advice: take your time looking at things.

You'll get 'em eventually!

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
    deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@bigmess: I'm dying to know what the +'s are!! Hearing everyone talk about how amazing they are is driving me crazy. I have done over 200 panels and I have yet to get any +. I'm sure I will figure it out eventually. Don't tell me but I suspect it's something to do with those black pillars that hum really loud :/

I love this maddening game!

Have you been to the top of the mountain? It's not going to spoil anything if you visit, but might open your eyes some.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not feeling it either. I enjoyed some of the perspective puzzles like Symmetry and Shady Trees, but once they introduced the Tetris pieces I tuned out. I ended up just watching some walkthroughs online and finished the game. If I got to those Mountain puzzles legit I'd be pissed. Those puzzles are terrible. I won't be able to do the challenge though as I'm too dumb to grasp some of the mechanics. I really liked Braid though.

Hotspray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion:

I also agree that the open nature of the game works against it in many ways. Part of the reason I loved Portal was how singular each puzzle was. There wasn't any puzzle game bullshit, or wandering around confused. You had the tools to solve it, you thought it through, you solved it. With The Witness, I'm constantly having this mental battle with myself: "Am I puzzling this out and stretching my brain, or am I just wasting an hour of my life fucking around with a panel I'm not supposed to do yet?"

It's a strangely stressful and exacerbating experience. Maybe I'm just dumb. I guess I'll go cut people in half in Warframe.

lhson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The open design of the game is completely key to the whole game's flow. With no single direct barrier to your progress J.B. was free to make puzzles as hard and challenging as he wanted to with no fear of permanently blocking player progression through the game. This is like, a fundamental problem in puzzle games and, by building the challenge largely by interconnecting and layering different rulesets from different areas on top of each other, The Witness manages to work past that problem in a way that actually makes the game design deeper and more satisfying than anything else I can think of in the genre.

Also, it's really interesting how many criticisms of the game basically boil down to "I don't like solving puzzles." I don't blame anyone for not liking puzzles really, but it seems that so many people were hoping for the other shoe to drop and some grand narrative or something to unfold, despite J.B. explicitly saying before the game was released that there was no traditional story. I dunno, it's sorta telling that so many gamers would intentionally force themselves through something they know they wouldn't normally like (solving lots and lots of puzzles) on the word of critical hype and the blind hope for some nebulous pay off at the end. That feels like a real indictment of the state of modern gaming culture that so many people are willing to go through hours of gameplay they aren't interested in to get to the 'good part' of the game. I mean, I can barely get myself to play through the games I think are good, nevermind anything I think is in anyway inferior.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By AcidBrandon18

@lhson: The hype around the game is what pushed me to try it and I regret it. The 5 Star review and how much the bomb crew have been talking about it got me pretty hyped. Then again they tricked me into getting Fez so I need to stop listening to them about these indie puzzle games.

lhson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@acidbrandon18 Understandable! I do that too. I feel like that happens with most critically acclaimed games, but that it is more intense with The Witness. What I think is interesting is that TW is seemingly getting more scrutiny from gamers solely because it is a puzzle game. Not that everyone shouldn't try out TW (imo it is an incredible game) but don't most people know if they like puzzle games or not? Isn't most of the hype or reputation around TW because it is a big and hard and mysterious puzzle game made by a guy whose previous game was also a hard and mysterious puzzle game? Is the average gamer still so tied to what critics say? This is not something I've ever really considered before so I find the whole situation fascinating.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lhson: I think the Puzzle game genre can be kind of nebulous. I really enjoy Tetris and Lumines, both of which are puzzle games. I also enjoyed Blow's previous game, Braid. Which was also kind of a puzzle/platformer. But the way you interact with the puzzles in TW doesn't really grab me. It's cool that there is this language that spreads itself through the game, but deciphering it doesn't seem very fun to me.

Immunity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

I was really positive about the game at first, but I've started to get more frustrated and bored the more I come back to it. The puzzles don't change up enough to keep them feeling fresh. When I boot up the game and solve a chunk of puzzles I am rewarded with even more puzzles that are more difficult, and thus time consuming, to solve. I share the same feelings that someone earlier in the thread mentioned about wanting more to the game than just more line puzzles.

Combine that with some of the puzzles being finicky to solve, requiring proper timing or positioning and it can get downright frustrating. Don't even get me started on having to redo puzzles I already solved because I messed up the next one. Holy crap, what a bad idea. I get wanting to dissuade people from just guessing their way through but, come on.

I do love the art, though. The world they built is beautiful and the environmental (+) puzzles are awesome and satisfying to find. I just wish the thing you do most in that game, which is stare at panels and solve puzzles, was more fun or had something more rewarding than "Hey well done, go do that for 20 more hours and maybe I'll have something for you, but probably not because the real shit is another like 40 hours after that." I dunno, that sounds super negative. I just wanted to love this game more than I actually am loving it. I'll keep coming back to it and chipping away at it in hour long chunks here and there. Maybe at some point I'll find the patience that I lost like 5 hours back and manage to actually "finish" this thing.

Avatar image for asilentprotagonist
    ASilentProtagonist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Top Rated Steam Reviews seemed to slam the game very hard. Pretty crazy how much of a pretentious human being Jonathan Blow is to the point it even is evident in his own game....Wow.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@acidbrandon18: Games like Tetris are very different to the kind of game The Witness is. Tetris is focused on giving you randomly-generated scenarios and that you need to react to on the fly. The Witness focuses on authored puzzles with specific correct answers. The Witness requires you to solve each problem, where there is usually one specific answer. They both encourage completely different ways of playing; Tetris wants you to be nimble and be able to quickly identify possible moves, The Witness is wants you to concentrate intently on specific problems - fast reflexes aren't the focus.

Basically, I see this as more of an issue with the way people use the term 'puzzle game'. There are people that consider both things to be 'puzzle games', but they are certainly not the same kind of game.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lhson said:

The open design of the game is completely key to the whole game's flow. With no single direct barrier to your progress J.B. was free to make puzzles as hard and challenging as he wanted to with no fear of permanently blocking player progression through the game. This is like, a fundamental problem in puzzle games and, by building the challenge largely by interconnecting and layering different rulesets from different areas on top of each other, The Witness manages to work past that problem in a way that actually makes the game design deeper and more satisfying than anything else I can think of in the genre.

Also, it's really interesting how many criticisms of the game basically boil down to "I don't like solving puzzles." I don't blame anyone for not liking puzzles really, but it seems that so many people were hoping for the other shoe to drop and some grand narrative or something to unfold, despite J.B. explicitly saying before the game was released that there was no traditional story. I dunno, it's sorta telling that so many gamers would intentionally force themselves through something they know they wouldn't normally like (solving lots and lots of puzzles) on the word of critical hype and the blind hope for some nebulous pay off at the end. That feels like a real indictment of the state of modern gaming culture that so many people are willing to go through hours of gameplay they aren't interested in to get to the 'good part' of the game. I mean, I can barely get myself to play through the games I think are good, nevermind anything I think is in anyway inferior.

Nope, that was not the point. I like solving puzzles, I just had no idea where to go to solve them. Walking around the world is fun for 30 minutes or so, but keep encountering puzzles I'm not 'supposed' to do yet over and over and over again is the problem. It's not a solution. Now that I've found my way, I've been solving puzzles left and right without a lot of trouble. I'm over 200 puzzles completed in now, and honestly can't see what the fuzz is about. It's definitely a good game, but I found it not more interesting compared to other puzzle games I've played the last couple of years. The hype was such that this one probably the best - at the very least most interesting - one ever made, and I personally feel very differently about that. I love puzzle games, but I never had an 'Ah! Ha!' moment in The Witness so far, which is one of the things I value in them.

I'll keep playing it, because I honestly do like it, but it doesn't beat any of the other puzzle games I've played except maybe in difficulty. But difficult puzzles =/= amazing on its own. I was a lot more 'wowed' by something like Antichamber for instance, even though those puzzles are (for the most part) easier, they were a lot more meaningful and enlightening.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76  Edited By pompouspizza

@crazybagman: Holy shit that helped me figure it out, thanks! Now I'm immediately thinking of places I have seen those before.

Dussck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

If this game was more linear I would've given up on it already. The fact that I can explore the island more and try other puzzles is what making me want to explore more and learn more.

It's genius as in all games nowadays you upgrade the character you play so you can progress, but in this game you actually upgrade yourself to be able to progress. You can even 'outlevel' content in some way.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

@dussck: Yep, I very much like the idea of learning as progression. Have you played Antichamber?

Hotspray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion said:
    @lhson said:

Nope, that was not the point. I like solving puzzles, I just had no idea where to go to solve them. Walking around the world is fun for 30 minutes or so, but keep encountering puzzles I'm not 'supposed' to do yet over and over and over again is the problem. It's not a solution. Now that I've found my way, I've been solving puzzles left and right without a lot of trouble. I'm over 200 puzzles completed in now, and honestly can't see what the fuzz is about.

I watched the VideogamerUK review on youtube. At the end, one of them says "It's probably one of the best games I've ever played."

WAT.

I really do wish I was playing the game these people are talking about. I'm not saying it is bad, or even mediocre. I think it's a GOOD puzzle game, with some nicely rendered visuals. But one of the best games you've ever played?? I feel like I've ingested crazy pills and everyone is staring at me. Is The Witness really that good? If so, what in the hell am I missing?

ZenGaijin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I think my issue with the game is i don't "get" it. Like when i solve puzzles i don't feel like i learned anything i feel like i just stumbled onto the solution. There is no real sense of accomplishment because i don't know what I'm missing to make the game click so to speak.

I'd love some tips from people that would help me not feel so helpless.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

I finished the game and had fun with it, and I thought there were some interesting design choices and I could tell that the team really spent a lot of time with the puzzles. It didn't blow me away or anything, though. My biggest gripe was not ever having a clear direction to go in, and I spent far too much time roaming around trying to find tutorial sections so I could progress. The bits in between that with actual puzzle solving were fine, though.

I'm glad I played it, but I doubt it will even make my Top 10 of 2016. I give it 3 out of 5.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

Yeah, I really don't like it. I keep playing it every now and then in the hope I'll suddenly have a moment of realisation that it's actually as good as everyone says it is, but so far no dice.

A lot of people talk about how you have the ability to solve puzzles with incorrect notions of the rulesets as a good thing, but that's damning in my eyes. If you accidentally solve a puzzle in Antichamber or whatever, what it is you've done is self-evident since you are manipulating objects in a space, as opposed to attempting to understand abstract rulesets for mazes. The tetris pieces are probably the worst offenders here. I accidentally solved one of the tutorial puzzles for them that is meant to teach you something important, and because I solved it accidentally it meant I missed a crucial lesson and found myself wandering around with nothing to do because of that. What it needs is more specific feedback, at least in the tutorial puzzles. It's good how it shows you what you did wrong, but I'd love to have some sort of visual cue showing how the solution was correct, thus affirming that yes, you do know how this thing actually works. The quarry was good about that, at least.

The general response to this sort of criticism is to "Just go try another puzzle!" but the game disincentivises you from doing this with the awfully slow movement speed. If I wander off to go try something else and have a sudden flash of inspiration, I have to walk all the way back there. The game's pretty, I get it. But it doesn't look so amazing that I want to see the same environments over and over again while trudging to and from puzzles I think I've finally figured out. Again, this would be a simple fix of just allowing the player to warp to any panel they have previously interacted with, or at the very least letting me toggle sprint. Talos Principle-level movement speed wouldn't go amiss either.

My final problem with the game is similarly related to the open-world nature of the game. Its reasoning is sound, of course. Allowing the player to try something else if they're stuck is good, but even with warping there's just the simple problem of the order that the player can discover puzzles, some of which I feel will give them a worse experience than other orders. I spent a lot of time trying to understand the initial puzzle in the monastery because I'd just come off solving a bunch of symmetry puzzles. So I had the completely wrong idea of how the bonsai tree worked. To overcome that problem I would more linearly introduce concepts before setting the player loose to do whatever.

I know that these are the way they are for a reason, Blow has spoken about how he wants to be the "anti-Nintendo" in terms of giving the player direction, but he's gone too far for me, really. I say this as someone who really likes exploratory puzzle games, which is why it struck me with how much I really don't like this thing.

Whenever I solve a puzzle I just kind of shrug and think "well that's the solution, I guess" and when I run up against something I can't solve, I similarly just kind of shrug it off. The game doesn't really make me feel anything at all. That could be more my fault than its, though. I haven't been doing very well mentally lately, so maybe that's it. I'll keep playing it, and probably try to finish it to see if that "moment" happens, but I have a feeling it won't.

I'm glad so many people are enjoying it though.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I will be incredibly surprised and thrilled if I play another game this year that dethrones The Witness for my GOTY. Most of the things people have complained about in this thread are the exact reasons this game likely ranks in my All-Time Top 20.

Nime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ajamafalous: I'm the same way, but I also get where other people are coming from. I liked the freedom and lack of direction, I liked how the only progression was your own knowledge, and above all else I liked the puzzles and found them immensely satisfying. But all of those things are entirely subjective and I will never be able to convince anyone who doesn't see the game the way I do to like it more.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86  Edited By BladedEdge

It may indeed simply be my own taste in puzzles. Creativity I don't mind, thinking out side the box I don't mind, and etc. With someone like the Witness given that there are so many puzzles which are based on the same basic idea, its gonna have to go for breadth of ideas. As opposed to say, 300 different chess Opponents of increasing skill, here are 300 puzzles that use the basic rules in the different ways. Etc.

For me though that means that there is going to come a point where the puzzles themselves get rated, good bad, average. Better than the rest, the worst of the bunch and etc. That might be subjective but..man.

Ok, so here is my thoughts on the desert, not really a spoiler to just point out an area but if you wanna avoid even the list of environments to found in the game, avoid. otherwise look to see if you've solved it and what I say won't spoil you.

The entire gimmick of the sun temple/water rooms/etc etc is..pixle hunting. Please find the exact spot at the exact angle at the exact time in order to..." Which is, to me, a terrible gimmick. Pixel hunts in adventure games have always been the bane of such games, the 'meant to waste my time/test my patience' element. The roadblock to get to the next story bit, and so on.

In a game like the Witness? Where if there is a story I'm gonna find it 60 hours from now, to find what is essentially a 'busy work, guess until you get it, random wandering is required. Is..no. As far as I was able to tell even the start of the entire thing has this problem. No hint, just "if you wander around long enough you'll see the solution, and get the gimmick!" which is, again, compared to how other gimmicks are introduced..

Well actually, making the player wander randomly into the gimmick is the only way to teach it..because that's the whole point of such puzzles. And, going back to my point..why they are bad. Why, especially in this game where the idea is to explore and solve puzzles, not pixel-hunt my way to victory for..er, the next story..ok never mind, even less reason then before.

Also, in edit. Pixel hunting is finding the exact point in the exact area in the exact room where you can. I define the sun temple as such because you need to know Where to stand, where to direct the camera and when to do so. Close enough to trigger all the "oh hell no" in my mind.

The shorter and non-spoiler answer is that there is, for me, content in the witness that isn't worth my time to figure out on my own. There is no reward for it because it wasn't my skill that solved or clued into a solution, it was blind luck, or as pointed out above random pixel hunting I didn't even know I was expected to do. And for such content. Well, thankfully, there are walk-throughs! Hooray.

I would advice frustrated or fed up or turned off by what they have seen of the game so far, to give that a try first. Some of the best adventure games have those one or two puzzles that are just 'no, just look it up its a stupid solution meant to waste your time, not reward it". And in a game this big, with so many different mechanics that build out whole areas, build into others, then open up even more and..yada yada.

For me, if I come to a place where I am clearly suppose to get the gimmick, and then come back and don't find it, I look it up. From there I get to solve a bunch of fun puzzles. Unless they are like the ones in the location I complain about here. Then it gets fun..until the difficulty spike is not challenging my cognitive function, but my patience. Then its to a walkthrough, and off I got to the next part of the island.

If this game isn't quite doing it for you. Cheat enough to get past a point that sticks. You are not likely to lose out on that "Its so much better to figure it out yourself". Not if you only resort to looking up puzzles when your at the point of uninstalling the game. Even discovering the gimmick to an entire location doesn't spoil the entire puzzle section, and even some of the puzzles that have good gimmicks end up being tedious and a slog to do.

As for the fear that once we have done everything there will be a hundred different little nooks and crannies we missed, or didn't know enough to explore..and now how do we find them all! Well, either the game is good enough to provide you with a easy route (like a bloody map to mark locations I find). Or..huzzah, the need for such will have already been solved by someone (if it hasn't already) .

So..yah, disappointed somewhat with the game. But in general I understand why. I'm not gonna like every gimmick presented. I might be to impatient to discover some of them, but in the end since the options are "Either I look it up, or I stop playing the game.." for me, nothing is ruined by looking up what I can't be bothered to figure out. The advice is that you should figure it out on you own, and yes you should. Until you know you can't or can't be bothered. Be cautious, but don't dismiss that walk-through route either. One key given to you can open up a bunch of doors for you to unlock you'd never other see and etc.

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

@nicolenomicon:

I didn't have any of these problems. I guess I've always been sort of a self-directed learner. When I felt like I'd solved a puzzle but I wasn't sure I had the correct understanding, I didn't just wander off and assume that was that. I actually would go back and re-solve the puzzle different ways assuming different things until I was sure I had it right. For me, the puzzles weren't the reward, they were a conduit to allow me to learn and to demonstrate learning. And that makes it so that I don't even understand the other big criticism people throw at The Witness (i.e., that it doesn't reward them enough for completing puzzles), because learning is its own reward, and unlocking more puzzles just meant more opportunities to demonstrate new learning. It was great.

And on the movement speed, you know there's a run button, right? You can get from one side of the island to the other in a couple minutes, tops. And anyway, I found that the movement speed made perfect sense considering the insane density of this game. Adding a more linear tutorial would have destroyed the whole point of The Witness. The first and most important thing that The Witness tells you is that it has things to teach you if you just open yourself up to learning.

I guess it's not for everyone.

nicolenomicon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@bvilleneuve:

Of course I know there's a run button, I said:

Again, this would be a simple fix of just allowing the player to warp to any panel they have previously interacted with, or at the very least letting me toggle sprint. Talos Principle-level movement speed wouldn't go amiss either.

As far as the puzzles go, I just get nothing out of understanding and applying these rulesets. The puzzles themselves just aren't interesting enough for me to care. It's not that the game doesn't reward me for completing puzzles within the game itself, it's that it literally doesn't make me feel anything. Not joy when I solve something, nor frustration or anger when I can't. None of what the game offers does anything for me.

I can see how others might get something out of it, which is why I'm still playing it, but so far (381, +36) it just isn't moving me at all. Which, yeah as I said, I get that that is very likely tied to me and my mental state more than the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5909e94ba2838
    deactivated-5909e94ba2838

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoyed the first few hours with the game, its beautiful and has a real sense of place, kudos to any game world that makes me pay attention to it .

I then went on to complete it and now I kind of just regret the time I spent with it, when I look back on the experience it was just an exercise in frustration, of constant roadblocks, I can count the amount of puzzles I actually had fun solving on one hand. Maybe I'm an idiot but I never felt like I built up any skill with solving the puzzles, there were very few moments for me that felt like ok yeah I did the hard work to figure this shit out now I'm gonna glide for a bit, just uphill climbing the whole way. The game is about knowledge and the process we go through in order to attain it but I never got to do anything fun with any of it. It's like leveling up in an rpg when the single goon you fight level's up at exactly the same rate, which is fine if the game is fun but not when leveling up is the point of the game.

A lot of the puzzles felt like constant trial and error in my head till I could narrow down the variables (I do realize I'm basically describing all puzzles but it was apparent in a way it had never been before), again maybe im stupid but the way to the solution was very rarely elegant. Many were elaborate pixel hunts (stand in the right place) and one near the end almost made me throw up.

The lack of feedback or reward for actually completing some puzzles started to grate by the end of the game, the audio logs are so god dam tiny and while they started out intriguing, became as pretentious and self absorbed as I feared they might (though as of yet I haven't seen all there is to see so my opinion may change, though I have no desire to solve any more puzzles).

whoever designed my math homework when I was 18 made more effort to allow me to have fun.

DFL017

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know that these are the way they are for a reason, Blow has spoken about how he wants to be the "anti-Nintendo"

Haha, I would pay more than $60 to play a Jonathan Blow Wii-U game.

Maedhros925

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92  Edited By Maedhros925

@immunity said:

Don't even get me started on having to redo puzzles I already solved because I messed up the next one. Holy crap, what a bad idea. I get wanting to dissuade people from just guessing their way through but, come on.

This design decision seems absurd to me. What does it matter whether the player solves a puzzle through brute force or not? I mean really? Is it so important that we have to punish every player for it? There are many hundreds of puzzles to solve, from what I've heard. That quantity alone should be enough deterrent to stop anyone from trying to guess their way through the game. I can anticipate an argument stating the player needs to learn how to solve this puzzle, and not guess at it, because that knowledge is necessary to solve future puzzles. In that case, the missing knowledge will be sufficient deterrent to prevent guesswork. The player will learn quickly not to guess because it will only hurt them in the rest of the game.

I have to imagine the overwhelming number of players attempting these puzzles are trying to play the game the right way. (If you're not there to solve line puzzles, why are you even bothering? Every game has its cheaters, but if you're looking for a shortcut, the internet has all the answers you need. There's no need to rely on guesswork.) Asking these players to redo a puzzle is punishing them for behavior in which they had no intention of engaging. I'll use this analogy because my fiancee is a teacher, but it's like if she gave the entire class an extra worksheet for homework, just because one class clown was goofing off during study time.

Honkalot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll say I like it, but I'm maybe not digging it as much as most seem to be. That might change though since I'm close to but not at 200 solved yet. So still some ways to go.

I think it's very neat, and pretty. It has made me feel good and smart a handful of times.

But I think some of the designs aren't very fun to do. I've had to look a few up just because I didn't find it fun to perform them, when I knew the method of solving but just had trouble with the mechanics of performing the actions necessary.

Then there are some things I'd like, like a button to hold for more precise movement. Any time I need to stand farther away from a panel I have a hell of a hard time getting the line to go where I want. I understand that the stick is analogue, it's just difficult for some reason for me. Also maybe a trigger or bumper could rewind the line, for the same reason as my previous point.

bvilleneuve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

This design decision seems absurd to me. What does it matter whether the player solves a puzzle through brute force or not? I mean really? Is it so important that we have to punish every player for it? There are many hundreds of puzzles to solve, from what I've heard. That quantity alone should be enough deterrent to stop anyone from trying to guess their way through the game. I can anticipate an argument stating the player needs to learn how to solve this puzzle, and not guess at it, because that knowledge is necessary to solve future puzzles. In that case, the missing knowledge will be sufficient deterrent to prevent guesswork. The player will learn quickly not to guess because it will only hurt them in the rest of the game.

I disagree completely. Shutting down panels isn't punitive, it's communicative (mostly) and obstructive (slightly). As many people have noted, it's possible to accidentally find solutions to the vital tutorial puzzles, and if you're not fastidious about testing different hypotheses until you're sure your mental model is correct, it's possible to get quite far into the tutorials without fixing your misconceptions. If you're putting in solutions that you could easily check and see aren't valid, you have nobody but yourself to blame. If you believe your solutions are valid, then returning to an earlier puzzle will help you correct yourself. And if you're the type of person who's satisfied just brute forcing their way through this game, I'd question why you're even playing in the first place.

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I do really enjoy the game, but I can't help but feel that it's missing a little something. Say what you will about Myst, but that series had some really interesting lore and backstory going on. Braid's story was vague but it added to the atmosphere and contextualized the puzzles a little bit.

I haven't quite beat the game yet, but so far there might as well not be a story. Not every game needs one (Antichamber had no story and that was perfectly fine), but being on this amazingly beautiful island makes me wish I had SOME kind of context. Who am I? Why did I come out of that tube in the beginning? Why is my character solving all these puzzles instead of just chillaxing by the beach or something? It's frustrating for the game to just not acknowledge these questions at all. The famous peoples quotes aren't doing a whole lot for me either... I only found about 6 of them though.

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

ToxicAntidote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, it's absolutely simple what I have to say to you. It's what my teacher said to me. And I'm still deeply discovering the reverberation of that. And it's simply, "Stop looking for what you want." Not cynically stop looking for what you want, cause there's a way of stopping looking for what you want in resignation and cynicism and closing down, but innocently, openly, stop looking for what you want in this moment, not tomorrow when you have it. But in this moment, to take one moment, whatever it is you want, however mundane or profound and just stop looking for it. And you will find more than what you could ever want. Because more than what can be wanted is already who you are. It's too simple to be grasped, but absolutely, completely realizable.

Gangaji
    Avatar image for nashvilleskyline
    Nashvilleskyline

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loooove the Witness despite all of it's problems. But, the order in which the game forces you to travel around, at a locked speed, is a frustrating.
    My main issue with the game though is that most puzzles aren't really "puzzles" but trial and errors until you find the rule of the category and then apply it to the rest of the serie. Now, what I like though is the integration of those rules within each series of puzzle. But that same integration can be reallllly frustrating if you start an area, figure out 50% of the puzzles and then you stumble upon a series of panels that brings something you haven't encountered before. You then need to 1: remember where that was...which is not that bad at first and then 2: find the "tutorial" for that particular type of puzzles. Finally 3: you need to go back there. In some cases, it's not that big of a deal, but in certain part like the swamp....it's more anoying than fun.

I would also argue that you will spend 30 to 40% of the game travelling from one place to another. I won't spoil the reason why I think they make you do that, but still it's anoying.

Not a perfect game, but I'm sure the industry will claim that game is the best thing ever and will not focus on negatives... Remember Mario Maker?

Avatar image for deactivated-63c9a5152a56a
    deactivated-63c9a5152a56a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fucking abhor this game and I'm glad I'm not the only one.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My cynicism pre-and-leading up to relase has been confirmed. I played the game and want my goddamn money back. (I'm on mobile, so I'm not sure how to apoiler tag, so pardon if I'm being vague.)

So here we are, on a non-descript island which looks pretty alright with a bunch of puzzles to do. I made my way through about 200 of these panels and then realized that this, mechanically, is not for me. Jeff being reductive of detractors and flatout calling them dumb on the podcast is crazy, too - my issue wasn't with the difficulty of the puzzles, it was with the lack of purpose for completing them.

Aaaaaand then I found a few audio logs, and this seemingly inoffensive, just not for me game decides to jump the shark and become pretentious in the worst goddamn way possible. I thought the end of braid wasn't the greatest thing either but the couple logs I found outdo anything that happened at the end of Braid.

Citing my now more than apparent frustrations with the game, I took to the internet. I started looking deeper for purpose in this game, but when I saw both the normal and secret endings...maaaaaan. It's literally a shame I can't get a refund on PSN because I want my money back.

Also, why the fuck can't Jon Blow just patch the game and put a goddamn reticle on the screen? People are getting sick from watching this and it wouldn't ruin his artsy vision.

Fuck this game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.