Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

Can I be redeemed?

Avatar image for deactivated-5967fc912058b
    deactivated-5967fc912058b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Can I be redeemed? (53 votes)

Yes 34%
    No 23%
    Never touch another video game again 34%
    Cheating is gud 28%

So the Witness broke me. I ended up looking at a guide and spoiling a whole bunch of puzzles. I also looked up the ending on youtube. I did solve quite a few alone as well. I don't like cheating or exploiting games, but have also done very little puzzles in my life and this game broke me.

On the positive side, I feel this week was one of the most intense experiences I've had in a while. The game definitely trickled into my real life thoughts. I had to know what was on the island. It convinced me that I need to do more puzzles and brush up on math/grids and all kinds of knowledge.

I decided to uninstall it at the final area because once I got there it looked super cool, and there are plenty other areas left in the game. If I come back to this game later and beat it cleanly, do you think I can be somewhat redeemed?

Just wondering. I'm gonna do that anyway.

• 
    mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mathj

sure, why not. i dont blame you for looking that stuff up, i feel as though im always teetering on the edge of looking stuff up to, but havent given into that temptation yet. gotta remember, its all just vidya games. have fun with em however you so choose. and yeah, i think that you should give it some time and come back, id imagine looking that stuff up gave you an idea (hopefully) of HOW to solve those puzzles, so maybe youd forget the solution and you can go back and solve them, knowing the concepts. btw, ive put alot of hours into the game, im still 81 +1. its kind of a brutal game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967fc912058b
    deactivated-5967fc912058b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mathj: Thanks, I guess it just got to me that everyone seems to be saying it's too easy and I'm just like wow. Hearing all the reviewers like Brad say they've finished it kind of made me start rushing, but I have to realize they've put in more time than me. Yeah, I'm hoping to forget the solutions by the end of the year and try again

Also, did I just make that third option just way too super funny? Stop picking that everyone! Say yes! Haha :p

mathj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@doenut: np! dont get down on yourself, theres like 700 puzzles in the game and if you just looked up the ones to solve the main line puzzles that bring you to the "end" of the game, you have a lot more to do you dont know the solutions to anyway :)

Ares42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you go back to the game I can tell you that nothing in the game will even come close to the satisfaction of getting the last trophy, and you can't even cheat at it. Having seen the ending isn't really a big spoiler or anything, the enjoyment from the game comes from the learning and discovery. Even if you've bypassed some of it there's still plenty of other things to figure out.

nickhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

I think there's also just so many puzzles that there's no way you'd remember all the solutions, so yes, you can be redeemed.

qreedence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 24

I kind of had the same feeling today after looking something up after being stuck on it for a few days. It's funny how it gets to you.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm 5 hours in and have beaten all sorts of games in my 30 years. But I'm getting stumped and frustrated and have yet to see anything revelatory. I've left a bunch of areas half-completed. Which is a shame because Braid is one of my favorite games.

pompouspizza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course you can be redeemed. I would love to look up a solution to a puzzle I have been banging my head against since the day after the game came out, but I refuse to use a guide. I have however turned to Giantbomb on one occasion to get a nudge in the right direction and I did go to another forum to figure out the logic for one type of puzzle that I could only half get. I have also had my fiancée helping me too.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
    Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.