Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

The Witness

Game » consists of 7 releases. Released Jan 26, 2016

An exploration-focused puzzle-adventure game led by the creator of the 2008 indie game Braid. While exploring a quiet but colorful island, players must solve a series of maze-like puzzles on numerous electronic puzzle consoles.

The Witness - First time I used graph paper since early 90s RPGs

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

No Caption Provided

So I am avoiding the internet for any answers, leading me to some classic solutions to solve puzzles. What are your strategies for solving puzzles?

davidh219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

I straight up refused to succumb to the madness of graph paper and/or photoshop. I finished everything in the game with nothing more than my brain and my phone to take pictures with. Did I make it harder on myself? Absolutely. Do I regret it? Possibly a little, but what's done is done.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't know why everybody makes such a big deal out of using graft paper when they play games? I remember it was the same when FEZ was released. I think it happens when people who don't play a lot of puzzle games suddenly plays one because there was one that became mainstream. I dunno but to me it just sounds like someone going to a forum and saying "HEY GUYS I USED PAPER CLIPS TODAY WHEN I WAS ORGANIZING DOCUMENTS!"

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@elixirbronze: Well that was an unnecessarily dickish response. I like puzzle games. Just finished the Talos principle. If you are using graph paper or taking pictures with a cell phone or whatever, it doesn't matter to me. I was just curious if people had some creative ways to solve these puzzles other than just looking up online or a forum. Sure this game became mainstream because is that good. Good enough to warrant stupid things like digging out the graph paper. I wasn't bragging about it, just giving the game a nod.

BananasFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why everybody makes such a big deal out of using graft paper when they play games? I remember it was the same when FEZ was released. I think it happens when people who don't play a lot of puzzle games suddenly plays one because there was one that became mainstream. I dunno but to me it just sounds like someone going to a forum and saying "HEY GUYS I USED PAPER CLIPS TODAY WHEN I WAS ORGANIZING DOCUMENTS!"

I think you're missing it.

Usually when people talk about the novelty of using graph paper, it has nothing to do with the paper and everything to do with one of two other things.

1) it's a novelty of interest because it's a throwback to an older era of games where using graph paper was common. In some ways it's like being thin enough to fit back into your high school jacket. It's just a "hey, funny, I remember when I used to wear this all the time" thing.

2)It's novel and interesting because they simply don't make games complex or taxing enough to have to actually write stuff down any longer. I even saw some guy somewhere saying that it was "bad game design" to have to write something down. As though a game that actually asks something of the player is doing something wrong.

As was mentioned above... writing things down is nowhere near required to play the game. But, it does make things easier.

SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I used a notebook and made lines/drawings when needed for most of the game, but I finally just had to make a big grid and cut out giant pieces for one of the final puzzles in the game, it made it so much easier. Hell of a game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I was actually surprised by how much drawing things out helped in the end. Some of the tetris like puzzles had me stumped until I actually put it to paper and the solution became obvious right away.

ElixirBronze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yellownumber5: Sorry, I shouldn't have been such a dick. I've had a bad day, it was unfair to take it out on you.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm not far in the game but drawing on my Note has been incredibly helpful.

yellownumber5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yellownumber5: Sorry, I shouldn't have been such a dick. I've had a bad day, it was unfair to take it out on you.

No problem. Thanks.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By Sergio

Most of my puzzle solving has been done using my smartphone to take pictures. I've used graph paper for three puzzles: the last puzzle of the quarry, which I also drew on my whiteboard at work, and solved it during lunch; the last of the first type of puzzles in the jungle to work out the logic I came up with from the preceding puzzles -- my logic was correct, my ears were wrong; and a pair of puzzles in the village that used the knowledge from the bunker.

elVerde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By elVerde

first time I used graph paper since early 90s RPGs

I pulled my graph paper out of deep storage for The Witness, and on the first page were maps from Lunar: Eternal Blue. So yes.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.