Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Tom Clancy's The Division

Game » consists of 9 releases. Released Mar 08, 2016

An online-only open-world shooter-RPG from Ubisoft Massive set in a chaotic New York City that is wrought by disease.

Proximity Chat on PS4

Radish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

How exactly does it work? I haven't been able to find a good description. My friends and I typically use the native PS4 party rooms to chat and not in-game tools. Can people hear us? I've heard people and tried to talk but they didn't react so I have no idea if they could hear me talking to them.

ThePanzini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ThePanzini

Yes anyone can hear you in game chat within close proximity you'll also hear them if your in party chat, but you can disable voice chat VOIP or the other player could be foreign.

Radish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok so even though you are chatting "outside" the game, it still has access to your mic?

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Yeah, but you don't have to disable VOIP to keep them from hearing you, just disable microphone. I keep VOIP on so I can hear them if they are dumb enough to be talking in a voice chat without realizing we can hear everything they are saying. But have Microphone off so they can't hear us. That way I don't have to be careful about being excited about a High End drop or talking about how we will merc some rogues.

Radish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ok thanks for the explanation guys.

BrettVandelay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hestilllives19: I had a great moment last week where I overheard people talking about me specifically.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Puchiko

I was in a party chat with some other players but their in-game player names had the no-mic symbol next to them. I assumed that if you are in party chat it disables proximity chat because we had another random player in our group who wasn't in our party chat and he wasn't responding to any our tactics we discussed in party chat.

Hestilllives19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

@puchiko: Nope, if you have VOIP and Microphone on you are hot to everyone in proximity, even if you are in a voice chat. Guys went Rouge on us last night, killed one of my guys and we killed the whole group and I stole a High End Shotgun from one of the guys. They came after us for 20 minutes to try and get it back even after I extracted it. Then as we were about to log off for the night they found us again and were trying to get us to go Rogue and one of my teammates that had Microphone enable and was in Party Chat told them that their High End Shotgun tasted delicious and that we were just going to grind it up for parts since it was worse than the one we had and they immediately just attacked us. It 100% works in Party Chat. Also, that was incredibly fun, because we destroyed those guys like 4 times when they kept going Rouge on us.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.