Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Troy Baker

Person » credited in 166 games

Troy Baker is a highly prolific American voice actor, having voiced the lead protagonist in a number of big-budget video game releases along with some animation. Some notable roles include Vincent in Catherine, Kanji Tatsumi in Persona 4, Booker DeWitt in Bioshock Infinite, Snow in Final Fantasy XIII, the default voice of The Boss in Saints Row The Third & IV, Rhyse in Tales from The Borderlands, Pagan Min in Far Cry 4, The Joker in Batman: Arkham Origins, and Joel in The Last of Us.

Best of Baker 2013

Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Edited By Jedted

Poll Best of Baker 2013 (164 votes)

Bioshock: Infinite (Booker DeWitt) 23%
    Injustice: Gods Among Us (Nightwing, Sinestro) 0%
    The Last of Us (Joel) 59%
    Saints Row IV (Male Player #1) 9%
    Lego Marvel Super Heroes (Hawkeye, J.A.R.V.I.S., Loki) 1%
    Batman: Arkham Origins (The Joker) 9%

Haven't seen anyone else make a poll for this yet so i thought it would be good to have one to decide which Troy Baker character was the best in 2013. If there's another role in a less popular video game which you liked then feel free to post it.

• 
    Jedted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I like his take on The Joker, it's a little closer to Heath Ledger in terms of darkness but still has the whimsical humor. I hope they keep him in future Batman games.

Make_Me_Mad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Troy Baker was good everywhere, but I'm gonna give this one to Arkham Origins. Hamill's Joker is a tough act to follow, maybe the toughest, but he pulls it off extremely well.

Baillie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

The Joker, easily. If you're voting for anyone else, you're pretty wrong.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#4  Edited By csl316

He was great everywhere, but I think he was at his best bringing a complex character like Joel to life.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By Zeik

His Joker was good, but it was mainly good because of how closely he managed to mimic Mark Hamill's Joker, not because he managed to bring something unique to the role. Joel will always be synonymous with Troy Baker though, so that gets my vote.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
    TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I like his SRIV boss, but Laura Bailey is MY boss.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7  Edited By Castiel

It's been a pretty good year for Troy.

His Joker was really good, and I actually liked Origins, but my vote goes to Joel.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Andorski

The Joker. He took on the role after Mark Hamill's legendary run on the character and did not miss a beat.

SlashDance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He was amazing as The Joker, but even better as Joel in my opinion, so that's my vote.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

was he as the joker just trying to mimic mark's (we are on a first name basis) joker?

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Booker

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@bigjeffrey said:

was he as the joker just trying to mimic mark's (we are on a first name basis) joker?

I don't think it's ever been addressed but I can understand how he got to that voice. Whenever I hear the Joker's dialogue in my head (like reading a comic or whatever) it's Hamill's voice I hear. I imagine that's the same for a lot of people.

wjb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is Troy Baker now the Hansel of video game voice actors, and Nolan North is Derek Zoolander?

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

@wjb said:

So is Troy Baker now the Hansel of video game voice actors, and Nolan North is Derek Zoolander?

He's so hot right now.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

@wjb said:

I would watch that movie.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#17  Edited By Yummylee
    @wjb said:

They each even have the same hair colour.

Anywhoo I haven't played Origins, and while I'm sure he's great in it as The Joker, it must be pretty fucking up there to top one of the best performances--being Joel--in a video game -- full stop.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@bigjeffrey said:

I don't think it's ever been addressed but I can understand how he got to that voice. Whenever I hear the Joker's dialogue in my head (like reading a comic or whatever) it's Hamill's voice I hear. I imagine that's the same for a lot of people.

Plus he is still technically voicing Mark Hamil's Arkham series Joker, so it would make sense for him to imitate his style.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I would say Joel from the Last of Us since I didn't even know it was him!

Joker is a close second, though. It wasn't quite as good as Hamill but it's as close as anyone is going to get.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna have to go with Joel. I had no idea it was even him until about 5 hours in, when he said said a couple words without the accent and I went "huh, that kinda sounds familiar, I better look it up".

To me, the first 20 minutes of that game beats anything else Baker has done in the past.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joel then Booker, then... Well, that doesn't matter to me.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By NTM

@bulby33 said:

I would say Joel from the Last of Us since I didn't even know it was him!

Joker is a close second, though. It wasn't quite as good as Hamill but it's as close as anyone is going to get.

Interesting, but something perhaps even more amazing is Nolan North's work in it. I hadn't known he voiced David until I had beaten the game. I think it's probably the best he's ever done to sound different for a character; even as I play it today, though I can somewhat notice it slightly better now, he sounds very little of how he normally does as characters such as Drake and Desmond.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

the bakers

Dixavd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Dixavd
    No Caption Provided

This seems like a great forum for me to brag about my signature from Troy Baker. Sadly I was unable to attend the convention he was appearing in earlier this year in London, but some of my family did go (my Sister is a Manga artist and in turn actually had a stall at the convention - you can check out her work here if you like). Anyway, here's the image that was taken by my Mother. I gave her a note explaining who he was (and why he is one of my favourite people in the industry) and she said she ended up showing him it and he blushed a little. She's been to many conventions over the years with my Sister and even said he was the nicest celebrity she's ever met. What an awesome guy. Here's the image, he has signed a picture of Snow Villiers, a card that came with the Final Fantasy XIII-2 Collectors Edition:

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

That's tough. I didn't play Arkham Origins so I can't talk about Joker, so it's really down to Booker Dewitt vs. Joel. Joel is a more complicated character to play, covers a much larger range, and is so different from his normal voice that it was tough to recognize him. However, that part was kind of a problem, as I wondered for quite a bit of the game whether or not it actually was Troy Baker, which was kind of distracting, and after definitively finding out it was Troy Baker, I was distracted again, but this time by how different he was from the character. Booker had fewer distractions of that ilk, and also had the awesome guitar and end credits scene. So I'll give it to Booker. However, if we include out of game bonus footage, this would push Joel into the lead. Nevertheless, a great competitive year for the Bakers. Surprised this was not a GOTY category, or at least the recipient of a new Nolan North's Nolan North Award for Most Omnipresent Voice Actor

endaround

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By endaround

Lego Marvel because its has Baker's Loki.

Rafaelfc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By Rafaelfc

Last of Us is absolutely his best performance.

But an honorable mention to his Joker which was pitch perfect. Outstanding performance.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.