Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Gametrailers botch their Uncharted 2 review.

• 60 results
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By mordukai

So a few hours ago GT posted their video review of uncharted 2.  I was shocked to see that the video review actually contains some spoiler about the game. Having seen countless of video review I really don't think I ever saw that level of unprofessionalism from people who are considered to be professional gaming journalists. I really don't have the slightest idea of what GT were thinking when he was writing, recording, and then VOing  that review. I wonder just how many people in Naughty Dog and Sony GT have just pissed off.  Bottom line that if you are going to have spoilers in your review then just make the effort to put a spoiler warning and let people make up their own minds. Sad to see a major website lose credibility just for the sake of hits.  

DO NOT WATCH THAT REVIEW!!!! it will spoil plot points for you. I wish I never watched it.  

Update: It seems I made a mistake by blaming Geoff for this review. He had nothing to do with that video review and all blame falls on  shane satterfield and Brebdon Johns. My apologies. 

willin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By willin

I couldn't care less about Uncharted and now that you said there is a spoiler then you have caused more problems for everyone.

Congrats.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Scooper
    @Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
    " I couldn't care less about Uncharted and now that you said there is a spoiler then you have caused more problems for everyone.  Congrats. "
    Actualy, no. You get the startup of the story and context of the spoiler all in the review without looking past surface level.

It's a pretty stupid error on their part, it basicaly ruins the story for everyone that watched.
    Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Al3xand3r

Lol. Owned. Personally, if I don't want spoilers, I go on media blackout. You can't risk it. But that's rare really, I don't mind a spoiler here and there, few games have worthy storylines at all, their main draw is interactivity, the actual game, and the rest is mere dressing for most of them. Even movie trailers nowadays show you almost all the plot points, you don't go watch it to see if the good guy wins in the end, you go to be entertained, as also most movies plots aren't that worthy by themselves either. Well, that's my 2 cents. Sucks for you though.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Red

Yeah. GT is pretty much notorious for having straight-up factual errors in their reviews, this time they just went a wee bit too far.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
    deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

" I couldn't care less about Uncharted and now that you said there is a spoiler then you have caused more problems for everyone.  Congrats. "
    How has he caused more problems for everyone when he is warning people of spoilers?
    KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By KamasamaK
    @Mordukai said:
    " I really don't have the slightest idea of what was Geoff Kieghley thinking when he was writing, recording, and then VOing  that review. "
    Where did you get the idea that Keighley does any of that?
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scooper
    @Bucketdeth said:
    " @Lights_Up_The_Shaft said:
    How has he caused more problems for everyone when he is warning people of spoilers? "
    He thought it was a spoiler that you'd only know was a spoiler if you'd played the game. Unfortunantly it isn't one of those but he thought he'd risk it and comment even though he hadn't even see the video review.
    HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By HitmanAgent47

I used to post on gametrailers, Geoff Kieghley didn't write that review or say it. It was a guy called brandon and the media director shane satterfield is the one who decides all the scores for the reviews. 

Usually I forget the video review when I play the game and watch it again when I finish it for a new perspective on the review. 

randiolo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By randiolo
    then why do you bother posting here? if u dont care then go away..
    MeierTheRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By MeierTheRed

I'm not watching it then, fuck that.

Tylea002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 6

#12  Edited By Tylea002

Hes right. There is a big gaping spoiler near the end. One of the clips with one of the characters who'd they'd been setting up doing something that was obviously a big twist. Anyone with a brain can work spoilers out from circumstantial stuff. Stupid gametrailers.

bonbolapti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By bonbolapti

You know... game trailers used to be a website that only played "Game trialers" :D 

but.. um.. what are we complaining about? I don't see anything wrong here.

empfeix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By empfeix

now I am going to watch it right now. I can't play the game anyway so I wouldn't mind seeing some of the story 

@bonbolapti:  yes yes thats all fine but now its so much more!! I'm not complaining

raggedglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By raggedglory
    @Tylea002 said:
    " Hes right. There is a big gaping spoiler near the end. One of the clips with one of the characters who'd they'd been setting up doing something that was obviously a big twist. Anyone with a brain can work spoilers out from circumstantial stuff. Stupid gametrailers. "
    This, though i'm not sure how big of a twist it was gonna be.  Still, I avoided reading reviews to dodge spoilers and succumbed to the siren song of the video review.  Serves me right I guess, I shoulda maintained the MGS4 tactic of total information blackout.
    SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SoothsayerGB

Spoilers never bother me.  Because telling is never anywhere as good as seeing.  

Someone told me the end to Fight Club before I first watched it.  But the second Jack said, "Trust me, everything's going to be fine."  It was, and shivers ran up my spine.   

I don't think other people can ruin a game for us, unless we let them. 
    CenturionCajun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By CenturionCajun

Casually watching that I didn't see anything glaring wrong. Well, other than the review going on for ten minutes and meandering about. Nothing happened there that I didn't half expect was going to happen anyways.

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mordukai
    @Kamasama said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    " I really don't have the slightest idea of what was Geoff Kieghley thinking when he was writing, recording, and then VOing  that review. "
    Where did you get the idea that Keighley does any of that? "
    As an executive producer and host of the TV show you would think he gives the final OK for everything. you your ass that he approved it.  extremely unprofessional on his part. 
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mordukai
    @Kamasama said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    As an executive producer and host of the TV show you would think he gives the final OK for everything. you your ass that he approved it.  extremely unprofessional on his part. 
    spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By spacetrucking
    @SoothsayerGB said:

"Because telling is never anywhere as good as seeing. "

Agreed!

I just watched the review and the OP is just nitpicking. All Geoff did was explain the settings and the scenarios  If a story is truly spoiled by some simple exposition then it wasn't that good to begin with and not worth complaining about.
    raggedglory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By raggedglory
    @Killjoy: Near the end it shows one of their plot twists.  I don't know how far in the game that is but more than likely it isn't simple exposition, unless that happens in the first cut scene.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By Diamond

I watched the video review for the heck of it and I didn't get any glaring sense of being spoiled.  Only thing that was spoiled IMO was the video showed a lot of crazy game events that happen (think things exploding, crashing, collapsing, and such).

KamasamaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By KamasamaK
    @Mordukai said:
    " @Kamasama said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    As an executive producer and host of the TV show you would think he gives the final OK for everything. you your ass that he approved it.  extremely unprofessional on his part.  "
    "you your ass"? Anyway, no I wouldn't think that. That's a TV show. I thought we were talking about the site's review here. He is not a reviewer nor does he do the voice-overs for them. The final OK would probably be done by the editor-in-chief, Shane Satterfield.
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By mordukai
    @Killjoy: Dude. He completely gave away plot points and the one of the last cutscenes was just "TMI Geoff". Go watch the other video review and you'll see how GT just completely botched that video review. Besides, a 10 plus minute video review is too damn long. Video reviews should be 5 minutes long, 6 tops, thats why we have written reviews. I really hate those kind of reviews that brake down the different elements of the game instead of judging it as a whole piece of work. It's the equivalent of a music reviewer listening to master tracks and then writing a review about the album based on how he thinks the record will sound when all the tracks are combined. I don't understand why you are trying to defend GT when it's clear that GT just did a horrible job and it makes them look like amateurs. If being angry and complaining about a video review from a major web site that contained spoilers and did not even give the courtesy of a warning label is nitpicking then so be it. 
    mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By mordukai
    @Kamasama said:

" @Mordukai said:

" @Kamasama said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    As an executive producer and host of the TV show you would think he gives the final OK for everything. you your ass that he approved it.  extremely unprofessional on his part.  "
    "you your ass"? Anyway, no I wouldn't think that. That's a TV show. I thought we were talking about the site's review here. He is not a reviewer nor does he do the voice-overs for them. The final OK would probably be done by the editor-in-chief, Shane Satterfield. "
    Bet your ass. LOL I see. then I stand corrective. I thought he had more power then just being a figure head. 
    siavashh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By siavashh

Dear dude you are right about the review but HE didn't review the game. 

He is not a reviewer in GT...It think it might have been Shane saterfield . and the voice is Brenedn Johns.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Scooper

Ok I'm gunna just say the spoiler that they spill in the review. 

SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER .....

SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER .....

A main character turns on you.

SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER .....

ZeroCast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ZeroCast
    @Scooper said:
    "Ok I'm gunna just say the spoiler that they spill in the review. 

A main character turns on you.

SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER ..... SPOILER .....

"
    You know something, I didn't watch the reivew but I don't know why I had this feeling that one of the characters was suspicious enough that it looked like she (?) might turn her back on you.
    Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By Diamond

A note if the 'spoiler' is what those worried that they've been spoiled is what is spoiled above.

In Uncharted 1 the same thing happened, but it turned around by the end.  So really you don't know anything until you play the full game.

Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Scooper
    @Diamond: Yeahh... But it's a sloppy move. It's like watching Oceans Eleven while knowing all along the character that's going to turn on you. It kinda spoils it as you watch those scenes when you're playing the game in a different light knowing the guys a sleezebag.
    Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Rhaknar

i love the comments on the review going "OMG 360 BIAS this game should have gotten 0.2 more!" when the review basically gushes over the game for 10minutes. fanboys are funny

the spoiler didnt really bother me, i still want to play it bad

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Jimbo

I haven't watched the GT review yet, but I'm gonna go with 'The people without American accents are bad' ??  If so, I'm not sure you can really describe that as a 'twist' anymore.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#33  Edited By Soap

GT's reviews have always been and will always be pretty shit anyway, just ignore it like the fucking plague that it is.

spacetrucking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By spacetrucking
    @Mordukai said:
    " @Killjoy: Dude. He completely gave away plot points and the one of the last cutscenes was just "TMI Geoff". Go watch the other video review and you'll see how GT just completely botched that video review. Besides, a 10 plus minute video review is too damn long. Video reviews should be 5 minutes long, 6 tops, thats why we have written reviews. I really hate those kind of reviews that brake down the different elements of the game instead of judging it as a whole piece of work. It's the equivalent of a music reviewer listening to master tracks and then writing a review about the album based on how he thinks the record will sound when all the tracks are combined. I don't understand why you are trying to defend GT when it's clear that GT just did a horrible job and it makes them look like amateurs. If being angry and complaining about a video review from a major web site that contained spoilers and did not even give the courtesy of a warning label is nitpicking then so be it.  "
    My bad, I must have missed the cutscene you're talking about. Honestly,I was paying more attention to the graphics and the gameplay rather than what was happening between the characters. If they showed a "I'm your father" kind of plot twist in the review, then yeah..you've a right to be ticked off.

Regarding the review length and breakdown, I think its really subjective. GT doesn't do written reviews so they really have to flesh out their likes/dislikes and that ofcourse takes time. The breakdown makes it easier for the reviewer to give a score to the game but I,myself, prefer if they take the game as a whole (like GB or Gamespot does). Having said that....if you watched any video review, they always hit those bullet points like graphics, plot, gameplay etc. and GT just chooses to award a score based on those. Personally, review scores aren't that important to me every game appeals to a different demographic in different ways. I'm mostly interested in why the reviewer enjoyed a game and I thought the Gametrailer review was really good in that regard and has almost sold me on Uncharted 2. In that regard, I think it did its job well. 

I'm sorry if you didn't like it or it spoiled the game for you. I guess the only thing you can do now is avoid their reviews in the future. :(
    Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Jimbo

Watched it now.  Dollars to doughnuts this 'spoiler' isn't as it appears in the video review.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ryanwho

Yeah really. For all you know, this "spoiler" happens in the first half hour, and if the premise of the remainder of the game is based off this story quirk, then obviously they have to talk about it to some extent. Is it a spoiler to find out the boy from 6th Sense sees ghosts? No, the premise of the whole story is based on that. And you don't find that out till like 30 minutes in.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#37  Edited By CL60

I didn't even realize their was a spoiler when I watched it, and if it is what somebody has already said, it has been known for a while...because a video of the game was released a very long time ago that showed this "spoiler"

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By HitmanAgent47

For the last time geoff keiley is not the one who said or wrote the reviews of gametrailers, shane satterfield is the one who decides everything like the score and videos on the site and brandon says the voice. Geoff is part of spike t.v a host of it, he is a host of a different network that is related to gametrailers because they are both part of viacom, he's not the media director. Maybe I have to prove it to you because your statements are so wrong. 

Brandon, here he mentions he voices most of the video reviews.  

" Brandon
    I am the Creative Director for the original content produced by GTtv for GameTrailers.com. These include our reviews, previews, gameplay edits, and features. I'm one of the two original founders of GameTrailers.com, and have been involved with the site since GT first went live in May of 2002. I also edit some of our media and do voice over for most of our reviews, previews, and features. I stopped doing Reviews and Previews a while ago, and spend most of my time now working on Retrospectives and Countdowns."

http://www.gametrailers.com/users/brandon/gamepad/index.php?action=ctab&ctid=10

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Mordukai said:
    " So a few hours ago GT posted their video review of uncharted 2.  I was shocked to see that the video review actually contains some spoiler about the game. Having seen countless of video review I really don't think I ever saw that level of unprofessionalism from people who are considered to be professional gaming journalists. I really don't have the slightest idea of what was Geoff Kieghley thinking when he was writing, recording, and then VOing  that review. I wonder just how many people in Naughty Dog and Sony GT have just pissed off.  Bottom line that if you are going to have spoilers in your review then just make the effort to put a spoiler warning and let people make up their own minds. Sad to see a major website lose credibility just for the sake of hits.   DO NOT WATCH THAT REVIEW!!!! it will spoil plot points for you. I wish I never watched it.  "
    I just saw it. The review didn't have a spoiler until the end and it was annoying although nothing too big.
    delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By delta_ass

That Brendon Johns has a great voice.

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#41  Edited By sjschmidt93

I watched it and didn't see any spoilers whatsoever.  

I ain't got a clue what you're talking about. 

JukeboxJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By JukeboxJoe

I didn't see this post on time :(
    Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#43  Edited By Slippy

I saw that too, and now I can't unsee it. I'd like to hope that it hasn't ruined the story for me, but I feel it's major enough to do just that. Gametrailers are fucking assholes.
    Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Milkman
    How do you know that spoiler doesn't happen within the first half hour of the game? People bitch way too much about spoilers. I get if it was like super end-game spoiler or something but knowing one little thing that people happens early in the game is nothing to cry about.
    Slippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Slippy
    @Milkman said:
    " How do you know that spoiler doesn't happen within the first half hour of the game? People bitch way too much about spoilers. I get if it was like super end-game spoiler or something but knowing one little thing that people happens early in the game is nothing to cry about. "

The point is, we don't, and until we get some sort of confirmation, a spoiler is a spoiler. Spoilers aren't nice no matter how early they come - it's still spoiling something as the name implies.
    Scooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Scooper
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Mordukai said:
    " So a few hours ago GT posted their video review of uncharted 2.  I was shocked to see that the video review actually contains some spoiler about the game. Having seen countless of video review I really don't think I ever saw that level of unprofessionalism from people who are considered to be professional gaming journalists. I really don't have the slightest idea of what was Geoff Kieghley thinking when he was writing, recording, and then VOing  that review. I wonder just how many people in Naughty Dog and Sony GT have just pissed off.  Bottom line that if you are going to have spoilers in your review then just make the effort to put a spoiler warning and let people make up their own minds. Sad to see a major website lose credibility just for the sake of hits.   DO NOT WATCH THAT REVIEW!!!! it will spoil plot points for you. I wish I never watched it.  "
    I just saw it. The review didn't have a spoiler until the end and it was annoying although nothing too big. "
    I agree, it wasn't anything too big but still a bit of a bummer.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By LiquidPrince
    @Scooper:  Also apparently according to GT the game has many doublecrosses to the oint where you will actually not know who is on who's side, in a good way, so hey, it might not even be too much of a spoiler.
    choffy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By choffy21
    @LiquidPrince said:
    " @Scooper:  Also apparently according to GT the game has many doublecrosses to the oint where you will actually not know who is on who's side, in a good way, so hey, it might not even be too much of a spoiler. "
    The first game even had a few double-crosses, so this (should be) nothing new to fans of the first.
    ThePRAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ThePRAssassin

GameTrailers' reviews are terrible. They always spoil parts of the game because they don't know how to review games properly.

GameSpot and GiantBomb are the only ones who actually can, but GS only reviews popular games or shovelware that nobody cares about.

radion_null

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50  Edited By radion_null

Eh. I'm more annoyed with the score GT gave it. The review partially doesn't match the score and it feels like GT low-balled the game a bit. But that is personal opinion knowing full well I've not played the game yet. I'm just going by other reviews.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.