Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Giant Bomb's Game of the Year, 2009

Nemesis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#251  Edited By Nemesis

Awesome choice. Love Naughty Dog since every new game they make is better than the previous ones.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 17

#252  Edited By FLStyle

This make me all the more excited that I'll be starting Uncharted 2 within the next week, looking forward to it.

Blackout62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#253  Edited By Blackout62
    @SaucySala said:
    " PUT UP ANOTHER QUICKLOOK! "
    I second this.
    agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#254  Edited By agentboolen
    @MadeinFinland: Yea remember last gen all you needed was a PS2 and you just about got it all.  
    Mattzz10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#255  Edited By Mattzz10

I have not played Batman, but if someone could tell me... Does that game have a moment that sums it all up?  Like just a crazy moment that is so great that it is the first thing that pops in your head when you think of it.  Or is it just a solid all-around amazing game?

trav3ler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#256  Edited By trav3ler

Uhh... 

Nah.  Sorry, GB, I'm calling fail on this one.

Haseo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#257  Edited By Haseo

Good choice Uncharted 2 stands in my mind as the best 2009 had to offer

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#258  Edited By Hailinel
    @FrankCanada97 said:
    " @Warfare said:
    " LOL the kid Jeff mentioned 2:56:00 into the Giant Bombcast GOTY Edition  is Lard.  "
    Lard must be proud of him/herself. "
    Probably.  I doubt Lard has the capacity to feel shame.
    chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#259  Edited By chililili

I don't care about who won but the design of this GOTY awards I thought was a little bit inferior that last year's specially designed pages and layouts, hope for something better next year, instead or a regular article

jmrwacko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#260  Edited By jmrwacko

Gamey game is gamey. RAAAAAAAAGE! FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I don't own a PS3 and I don't plan to, so I'll never get to experience this game unless a friend of mine gets it. Too bad. Maybe in five years someone will program a good PS3 emulator.

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#261  Edited By Warfare
    @Hailinel said:

" @FrankCanada97 said:

" @Warfare said:
    " LOL the kid Jeff mentioned 2:56:00 into the Giant Bombcast GOTY Edition  is Lard.  "
    Lard must be proud of him/herself. "
    Probably.  I doubt Lard has the capacity to feel shame. "
     I cried from laughter.
    Spiritof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 27

#262  Edited By Spiritof
    @Mattzz10 said:
    " I have not played Batman, but if someone could tell me... Does that game have a moment that sums it all up?  Like just a crazy moment that is so great that it is the first thing that pops in your head when you think of it.  Or is it just a solid all-around amazing game? "
    I'd say there is one pretty large WTF moment in the game, surrounded by a few smaller wtfs along the way. You'll know what I'm talking about the first time it happens, if you play it, just know that there's much more after that first encounter.

I wouldn't say that set of moments defines the game from top to bottom, but it certainly makes you bug out a time or two. Arkham is basically a fine tuned super hero version of Metroid and Prince of Persia, soaked in a grimy Bioshock-ish aesthetic.
    stinky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#263  Edited By stinky
    @jmrwacko: playing it now  after i've read all the hype here on giantbomb. 

couple of comments so far. i like it, BUT, it's more from the characters they created and less about the fun of the game play. 
    game play wise with the climbing, cover and shooting other games have for sure done better. 

where Uncharted excels is in its narrative story telling. i like nathan drake, i like his partners and i like the flow of the story. 
    the story itself is a little cliche so i'm not in any suspense about it, but its very charming. 

A+ in avoiding the uncanny valley better than any other game. 

only maybe halfway done so my thoughts may change and i may love it in the end, but so far to reiterate its more about a well put together story and characters than intense game play.  

makes dragon age dialog look really stiff. if Bioware could harness what they did with Uncharted it would be AMAZING.
    ki11tank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 8

#264  Edited By ki11tank

finished it for the first time today and hoooleeeee sheeit, i can't agree more.

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#265  Edited By Kr3lian
    @Mattzz10 said:
    " I have not played Batman, but if someone could tell me... Does that game have a moment that sums it all up?  Like just a crazy moment that is so great that it is the first thing that pops in your head when you think of it.  Or is it just a solid all-around amazing game? "
    The latter.
    Branthog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#266  Edited By Branthog

Uncharted 2 is the most fun I have had in a videogame since . . . Uncharted 1. Great pick in a year of great contenders.

DannyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#267  Edited By DannyJ

When I first got it, I remember I sat there going, "What makes this game so good?" And for the life of me I couldnt figure out what it was. But instead of looking for its features I looked at it as a whole. At its core its a fun game to play and can be playable and competitive without any kind of cover gimmicks, perk gimmicks, etc. The closest thing it has is the climbing feature, but in all reality it's so well done that its part of the game. It's just a game that was incredibly well done.

Avatar image for jackbauerctu225
    JackBauerCTU225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#268  Edited By JackBauerCTU225

Great job Giantbomb. It was a hard year to choose. Both Batman and Uncharted 2 were fantastic. There were so many great games this year it was shocking. You guys did great I ve checked around and I believe gametrailers has done the worst with there game of the year awards. MW2 wone everything. I loved MW2 but when they make a 3 seprate videos PC, PS3, and 360  best game was MW2 and then MW2 wins GOTY award and they say it was so hard for them to choose btw UC2 and MW2 Im a little confuzled.

VisariLoyalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#269  Edited By VisariLoyalist

what?! what?! who could've predicted this?! :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@SpiritOf said:

soaked in a grimy Bioshock-ish aesthetic. "

Actually, it's more of an Unreal Engine powered Madame Tussauds aesthetic. If Batman put a blowtorch to the thugs they would probably just melt. I have yet to see an UE-based game that has natural looking characters in it. Thus far it's either plastic (Mass Effect) or wax (Bioshock, Batman).
    drewm135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#271  Edited By drewm135

You know what, I can completely agree with this. Not that I didn't love Batman because damn that game was good. But, giving due credit where credit is deserved the most memorable game of 2009 was hands down Uncharted 2. Great year Bombsquad, here's to many more

Avatar image for thebeastinbeast
    TheBeastinBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#272  Edited By TheBeastinBeast
    @Mordi said:

" We can most all agree that Batman, Uncharted and MW2 are the definitive games of the year this year. "

This...
    Made me :D
    Avatar image for thebeastinbeast
    TheBeastinBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#273  Edited By TheBeastinBeast
    @ez123 said:
    " Don't plan on ever playing Uncharted, Batman or MW.
    What the HELL is wrong with you?
    ez123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#274  Edited By ez123
    @TheBeastinBeast said:
    " @ez123 said:
    What the HELL is wrong with you? "
    :(  Nothing.  I don't have a PS3.  I'm big on Batman but the gameplay I've seen/the demo wasn't fun, and Modern Warfare... do not want.  Plus this year is going to be huge throughout so I don't plan on revisiting last year.
    Avatar image for captain_clayman
    captain_clayman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#275  Edited By captain_clayman

LOOOOVE this game 

i woulda been happy with batman too, but this is great. 

i think this is defintely the best game naughty dog has ever produced (although i still love me some crash and jak)

Avatar image for pipeandslippers
    PipeAndSlippers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#276  Edited By PipeAndSlippers

You should have given it to toy commander on the dreamcast that was a choice game

K_PhaNTOM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#277  Edited By K_PhaNTOM

Damn it, now I have to buy a PS3...

Slaneesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#278  Edited By Slaneesh
    @ez123 said:
    " @TheBeastinBeast said:
    " @ez123 said:
    What the HELL is wrong with you? "
    :(  Nothing.  I don't have a PS3.  I'm big on Batman but the gameplay I've seen/the demo wasn't fun, and Modern Warfare... do not want.  Plus this year is going to be huge throughout so I don't plan on revisiting last year. "
    The demo doens´t give a good impression of Batman. I felt the same way, however i loved the game. Give it a shot as a Rental atleast
    JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#279  Edited By JoelTGM

Just finished the GOTY podcast last night.  Man that was quite a discussion.  Good for Uncharted 2 and Batman AA. 

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#280  Edited By Nasar7

Haters gonna hate but this is absolutely the best game experience of 2009.

Dragoon14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#281  Edited By Dragoon14

AWE BATMAN should of won

KidA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#282  Edited By KidA

Even though I really liked Uncharted 2, I'm not really pleased with this choice.

I mean Uncharted 2 had amazing presentation, but people seem so strangely oblivious to the mediocre shooting and wonky controls that plagued the first game as well. In this one they get it a bit better but honestly its a competent shooter at best. In the podcast you guys would not stop talking about the games presentation and "OMG WTF" moments, but never mentioned the core gameplay which is a testament to the games strengths, but also displays its overlooked weaknesses.

DannyJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#283  Edited By DannyJ
    @KidA said:
    " Even though I really liked Uncharted 2, I'm not really pleased with this choice.  I mean Uncharted 2 had amazing presentation, but people seem so strangely oblivious to the mediocre shooting and wonky controls that plagued the first game as well. In this one they get it a bit better but honestly its a competent shooter at best. In the podcast you guys would not stop talking about the games presentation and "OMG WTF" moments, but never mentioned the core gameplay which is a testament to the games strengths, but also displays its overlooked weaknesses. "
    There was wonky controls and shooting?
    Shaanyboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#284  Edited By Shaanyboi

I would've gone Batman on this one.  Uncharted 2 was really good, like... REALLY good, but it felt too much like just Michael Bay popcorn entertainment.  Nathan Drake really isn't that great of a character.  They pass him off as this flawed, down to earth guy, when really he's just as close to hollywood perfection as you can get.

Batman is fresh, it has a BADASS character, the scarecrow sections TOTALLY mess with you, it progresses smartly, it's super atmospheric....

Batman was just better.

MAST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#285  Edited By MAST

I'm amused at how obvious it is when people disagree just to disagree...

"What? Uncharted 2 sucked! Batman should have won!"
    "Whatever, Nathan Drake was a stupid character."
    "Uncharted 2 was a terribly broken, and flawed game! How did it win!?"

Those types of comments are just pure nonsense. Even the people saying "Uncharted 2 was great, but Batman was better. Giantbomb failed on this one" are completely wrong. You know why? Because Game of the Year choices, regardless of the website, are THAT websites OPINION. You can't tell them that they "failed" because they expressed their opinion on their gaming website which is 100% about them expressing their opinion on a daily basis.

Basically the same thing happened last year. Giant Bomb picked GTA4, and then all kinds of people came out of the woodwork to say how much GTA4 sucked, and how the Giant Bomb staff were idiots for choosing it. Hopefully the staff here realizes that people like that are just attention whoring, and trying to be different just so they can make little comments like "At least I'm not a mindless drone" in an attempt to feel better then everyone else...

Ignore them guys! Uncharted 2 was a fine choice!

Boiglenoight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#286  Edited By Boiglenoight

Batman was great, but once I finished it I decided a repeat playthrough could wait until I finished some other games. 

With Uncharted 2, I restarted on a harder difficulty the moment the credits ended and played for another two hours.   

Both are fantastic games, but there's something about Uncharted 2 that defies expectations just a tad more than Batman.

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#287  Edited By apathylad

I probably would have given it to Batman, mostly because it was the year's biggest surprise, while everyone knew Uncharted 2 was going to be a good game before its release. Still, a good choice.

Muddy_Cheeks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#288  Edited By Muddy_Cheeks
    @MAST said:
    " I'm amused at how obvious it is when people disagree just to disagree...

Those types of comments are just pure nonsense. Even the people saying "Uncharted 2 was great, but Batman was better. Giantbomb failed on this one" are completely wrong. You know why? Because Game of the Year choices, regardless of the website, are THAT websites OPINION. You can't tell them that they "failed" because they expressed their opinion on their gaming website which is 100% about them expressing their opinion on a daily basis.  Basically the same thing happened last year. Giant Bomb picked GTA4, and then all kinds of people came out of the woodwork to say how much GTA4 sucked, and how the Giant Bomb staff were idiots for choosing it. Hopefully the staff here realizes that people like that are just attention whoring, and trying to be different just so they can make little comments like "At least I'm not a mindless drone" in an attempt to feel better then everyone else...  Ignore them guys! Uncharted 2 was a fine choice! "
    win.
    Turtlemayor333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#289  Edited By Turtlemayor333

I really appreciate Vinny's effort to push for Batman. One thing I've noticed that may have factored into this decision is that Brad and Ryan seem to extremely underrate Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. I would argue some of the shooting mechanics in that game are actually more solid than in Among Thieves.  The cover system does get pretty wonky (good word) at times, and you really notice it on the upper difficulties. Meanwhile I didn't experience any "jankiness" at all throughout Arkham Asylum.

Overall, Uncharted 2 is still a big improvement, but it isn't like Naughty Dog turned crap into gold or anything. Both Uncharted 2 and Batman are great, and it mostly comes down to nitpicks. I'll take Gargoyles and you can have the blue guys.

Palmlykta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#290  Edited By Palmlykta

I'd say that Jeff's comments about the Gargoyles in Batman pretty much nails it.

WrenchNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#291  Edited By WrenchNinja

Uncharted 2 definitely earned the win, not to say Batman didn't deserve it. Both are definitely in my top 5 games of the year. I'm just super glad Modern Warfare 2 didn't get in. It's hilarious how over at GT, they picked MW2 for every platform specific GOTY and overall GOTY. Giantbomb definitely knows how to do these awards, separating it as exclusives and one specific multiplatform GOTY.

Budkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#292  Edited By Budkin

Wow finally made it through the podcast. This category sounded like it was pulling teeth for the guys and I felt the same way. I feel for ya Vinnie! Two amazing ass games in Uncharted 2 and Batman: AA. Definitely a great time to be a gamer!

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#293  Edited By samcotts

So after completing Batman AA, I can safely report that there was really no need for any discussion about which game deserved the GOTY title (though I still found it entertaining, so thank you Giant Bomb), Uncharted 2 is miles better.

Nonethewiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#294  Edited By Nonethewiser

doesnt this entire process run contrary to the entire philosophy of not verging opinions so as to not settle for the most commonly liked game rather than the BEST game?

demonbear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#295  Edited By demonbear
    @samcotts said:
    " So after completing Batman AA, I can safely report that there was really no need for any discussion about which game deserved the GOTY title (though I still found it entertaining, so thank you Giant Bomb), Uncharted 2 is miles better. "
    I would say its just more complete. Batman is really good though, just not GotY material.
    storm_dk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#296  Edited By storm_dk
    @MAST said:

Those types of comments are just pure nonsense. Even the people saying "Uncharted 2 was great, but Batman was better. Giantbomb failed on this one" are completely wrong. You know why? Because Game of the Year choices, regardless of the website, are THAT websites OPINION. You can't tell them that they "failed" because they expressed their opinion on their gaming website which is 100% about them expressing their opinion on a daily basis.  Basically the same thing happened last year. Giant Bomb picked GTA4, and then all kinds of people came out of the woodwork to say how much GTA4 sucked, and how the Giant Bomb staff were idiots for choosing it. Hopefully the staff here realizes that people like that are just attention whoring, and trying to be different just so they can make little comments like "At least I'm not a mindless drone" in an attempt to feel better then everyone else...  Ignore them guys! Uncharted 2 was a fine choice! "
    I created a user, just to quote this - well said sir. 

@Nonethewiser said:
    " doesnt this entire process run contrary to the entire philosophy of not verging opinions so as to not settle for the most commonly liked game rather than the BEST game? "
    So if Batman AA had been the popular choice among the gaming press UC2 would have deserved it in your opinion? Great reasoning - all I have to say to that is: 

@MAST said:

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Nonethewiser said:

" doesnt this entire process run contrary to the entire philosophy of not verging opinions so as to not settle for the most commonly liked game rather than the BEST game? "

Please tell me how you quantify "fun". Hint: You can't. The best game is simply the game one likes most, hence your favorite game. All those GOTY awards are ultimately just a waste of everyones time. The only thing you can get out of star ratings and GOTY awards is the assumption that with game X, the chance of having a good time with it seems higher that with other games.
    Michae1G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#298  Edited By Michae1G

I agree with Giantbomb's winner and runner up 100%. Great job guys!

vcipher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#299  Edited By vcipher

Graphics and Storyline is really great. Though player is very much restricted in their interaction with surroundings e.g. climbing wall and rocks etc. In that respect Tomb-Rider is still ahead of it.

sprocketbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#300  Edited By sprocketbot

This is my personal pick for GOTY as well. I really don't have anything negative to say about this game. If you take out all the gameplay elements it would be an incredible action film and I think that says a lot about the story telling power of this game.  

Other games should look to this one as a guideline for character animation and action.  Playing through one incredible action sequence after another made me wonder, why do we even have quick time events when UC2 shows that you can have it all?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.