Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves

Game » consists of 14 releases. Released Oct 13, 2009

Nathan Drake returns to find the lost secret of Marco Polo, in this sequel to the 2007 sleeper hit Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Giant Bomb's Game of the Year, 2009

Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#151  Edited By Spike94
    @Asurastrike said:
    "It's entertaining to see how many people think calling a game "GOTY" means anything. Guess what, just because your favorite game wasn't given an arbitrary award doesn't mean that game was any worse. "

I know, right? 
    ...Yeah, I have nothing more to add, really. I completely agree. I can't fathom how someone can get annoyed by their favorite not winning. I used to get like that, but only when I was like 13 (maybe 14, but that's when I started to ease out of it and for lack of a better phrasing, grow up some) and under. Yeah it's nice when you're favorite wins/is recognized the way you see it, and you'd do an epic fist pump or something, but it's like "Oh, they chose that game? Yeah, it was amazing, I can see that. Cool." People still have their opinions and all, ya know? If Batman is GOTY to someone, that's way chill. Maybe it's Barbie to them, fine. I would wonder why in the world such a game could be someone's favorite of the year, but it wouldn't bother me none. It'd completely boggle my mind, sure, but other than that... And GOTY for me is a tie...I am awful at deciding.
    It's a total toss-up between the two that were debated, actually, out of games I played this year (MW2 is up there too but...gotta say, U2 and Batman, man are they amazing...). I am glad Batman: AA is even a runner-up and that it is such a huge deal and everything. Simply put, I did a bit of a fist pump when I saw it was between Batman and Uncharted 2. Sorry for such a tl;dr comment, but what can ya do.
    crystalskull2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#152  Edited By crystalskull2

No surprise here.

Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#153  Edited By Spike94
    @mugugipan said:
    "Modern Warfare 2, all the way. "

Yeah it was good...if you read a previous comment of mine, scratch that, I have a 3-way tie for 2009's GOTY. xD 
    *out of the games I played, otherwise I am sure AC II and Demon's Souls would be a part of it, to name a couple....I have yet to play these, but I speculate I shall thoroughly enjoy them.
    Addfwyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 11

#154  Edited By Addfwyn
    @SteepInKline: Yup, that's cool, glad I could help clarify, sounds fine to me. 

That said, if you ever get the chance to play it, give Uncharted 2 a try, it's definitely up there with all those games (and all those games you listed are excellent choices as well)
    Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By Spike94
    @Duffyside said:
    "I wonder if threads like this are common on GiantBomb, or if these are just the caliber of mutants that only emerge from their lunacy cocoons for meaningless - albeit fun - game of the year awards.  Anyway, great work this week fellas. I appreciate your efforts. Just two things, should a similar approach for game of the year be taken in the future; 1) if something similar like this happens next year, can you put the game of the year podcast up well before the the article? Nice to hear the discussion without knowing the verdict. And 2) I'd prefer it if the console-specific awards had been spaced out over the week like your individual choices were, as well as their accompanying podcast segments. Would've been nice to have a bit more content every day this week - excluding today - and to have this 3 and half hour podcast be a more reasonable 1 and a half, as well as every other podcast this week being bumped up from 10 - 15 minutes, to 30 - 45.  Hopefully this doesn't sound "complain-y." I love the site, loved all the content this week, clicked every link, listened to every podcast, made my list, checked it twice... awesome stuff. Thanks. "

Doesn't sound complain-y. Just giving some suggestions that the GB crew and fellow GBers may or may not agree with. It's all good, man. 
    I don't mind that they posted it all in one day. It's my fault for cramming it all in viewing- and reading-wise...xD I would like to see the podcast before the article, as well though. Though that too was probably my fault (for the record, I clicked "News" to see if there was anythng I missed, and what do ya know, GOTY! No big deal whatsoever, but needless to say it would have been nice to have some build up...again, this isn't GB's 'fault' or anything, just a little thing that happened. Oh well.) 
    But yeah, thanks for the year-round quality content, guys. It's embarrassing how often I visit this site in a day...
    Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By Spike94
    @Kiemoe said:
    "I was expecting Batman, but this is totally deserving. It's nice to see the PS3 figuring stuff out, it did really well this year "

My thoughts as well. 
    And it totally did! Love seein' some PS3 love. :D
    Pepsicolaboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#157  Edited By Pepsicolaboy

Yep.

harrypmgaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#158  Edited By harrypmgaga

Yeah I completely agree. So what if Uncharted 2 got GotY, I absolutely hated it, but am not going to let it "annoy" or "frustrate" me. I know what my GotY (and my site's one) is, and everyone has their own opinion. 

It pissed me off when people on our site went nuts because we didn't choose their GotY game. Like seriously, it's just a recognition, nothing else.
    Lazyaza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 43

#159  Edited By Lazyaza

Good choice GB, not my personal goty, I was way more in to Batman than U2 but still a game well worth the award.
    If nothing else people cant argue that this wasn't an awesome year for games, especially ps3 ones.  

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

#160  Edited By chililili
    @harrypmgaga said:
    "
    Yeah I completely agree. So what if Uncharted 2 got GotY, I absolutely hated it, but am not going to let it "annoy" or "frustrate" me. I know what my GotY (and my site's one) is, and everyone has their own opinion.  It pissed me off when people on our site went nuts because we didn't choose their GotY game. Like seriously, it's just a recognition, nothing else. "
    Just curious why did you hate it? I can see being completely indifferent towards it (I don't really care about Modern Warfare 2 AT ALL). But hating it? It had solid gameplay and story, what was intolerable about it?
    Syphous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#161  Edited By Syphous

Uncharted 2, not surprising. I still say Batman wins it though.

bjorno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#162  Edited By bjorno

booo uncharted sucks my opinion is the only right one

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#163  Edited By Captain_Insano

WTF!!!!!!!! y n0+ Dr@g0n @g3????

While Dragon Age was my GOTY (though I am never 100% sure), Uncharted 2 was a worthy choice. Am just finishing up the campaign myself and, although I think it gets unnecessarily hard towards the end, it looks brilliant and plays pretty well.

spazmaster666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#164  Edited By spazmaster666

While I personally enjoyed DA: Origins and Batman AA more than Uncharted 2, it is definitely worthy of the game of the year title.

harrypmgaga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By harrypmgaga
    @chililili:
    I just think I never got into it enough. I disliked the first game a lot, so coming into the second one with that frame of mind lowered the experience. I also wasn't drawn in to the story.
    Th3dz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By Th3dz

this makes me want to get a ps3!

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#167  Edited By get2sammyb

It could have been Batman, but in my opinion, Uncharted 2 was absolutely the right choice.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By get2sammyb
    @Siris said:
    " I really want to play this game, yet I don't have a PS3.. damn, I wish that console wasn't so useless in the presence of a 360 I already have. "
    Didn't you just argue your own point?
    Avatar image for machofantastico
    MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#169  Edited By MachoFantastico

Fantastic choice, easily the best game of the year.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#170  Edited By lordofultima

The correct choice (other than SF4 anyway)

Globox82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#171  Edited By Globox82
    @Siris said:

" I really want to play this game, yet I don't have a PS3.. damn, I wish that console wasn't so useless in the presence of a 360 I already have. "

that is your opinion and your choice. PS3 had FAR superior exclusives in 09, it's only 299$, free online. keep on playing only on 360 but please spare us of your stupid comments. Don't comment on something you don't have...it only makes you sound biased.
    Hemlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By Hemlock

Definitely the right choice, no other game demanded my attention like Uncharted did this year. I think I went through it in two days, and it takes a special game to hold my interest enough that I want to see it through immediately just to take it all in.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By Ghostiet

I like how Uncharted 2 was totally expected, but at the same time there was incredible suspense about who is gonna win after the cast's "best of" lists and the general love for games like inFAMOUS, Batman, Shadow Complex, Borderlands or Assassin's Creed II.

Great awards. Although next year, I'd divide Best Graphics into Best Technical and Best Artistic. Because some games deserved recognition because of the art style (Zeno Clash, Brutal Legend).

Oh, I'm kinda sorry for Killzone 2 getting neglected in most categories, but that's just my private whining.

Cluter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#174  Edited By Cluter

IMO Batman is the more fun game. Every time there was a gunplay sequence in Uncharted 2, I felt as though I wanted to hit a magic skip button because it was so bad. Nothing like emptying a whole clip in a dude to have him not die. Plus the controller just isn't shooter friendly, at least to me. I never got frustrated with Batman for anything, so for my own little one-on-one of these two games, I'd go Batman. Just sayin'.

mracoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#175  Edited By mracoon

I thought they were going to give it to Batman but I think Nolan North gave Uncharted the edge.

Bollard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 12

#176  Edited By Bollard

And yet after playing the first one - even if I owned a PS3 - I still wouldn't buy this game...

Plipster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By Plipster

I think Batman was better and was a more important game in the long run. But hey, Uncharted 2 is a fine pick too. Also Assassins Creed 2 would have been ok by me :P

brocool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#178  Edited By brocool

totally agree, I really appreciate this choice. I've played all the other games that could be considered GOTY material but nothing drew me in more than uncharted and nothing came nearly as to blow me away with its stunning visuals, memorable-humour, wit, music, sound effects, believable characters and their motivation. just spectacular stuff.

mmmskyscraper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By mmmskyscraper

I don't have a PS3 but was favouring Uncharted based on the QL's. I played the PC demo of Batman and didn't get into it at all. I'm going to give it another shot based on the amount of praise it received as I must be missing something.

Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By Impossibilium
    @Globox82 said:
    " @Siris said:

that is your opinion and your choice. PS3 had FAR superior exclusives in 09, it's only 299$, free online. keep on playing only on 360 but please spare us of your stupid comments. Don't comment on something you don't have...it only makes you sound biased. "

Of course while the PS3 had some nice exclusives, almost every cross-platform game was worse on the PS3. So owning both is still the best option.
    benderunit22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#181  Edited By benderunit22
    @shatteringlast said:
    "Nothing like emptying a whole clip in a dude to have him not die."
    You were either playing Uncharted 1 or your aim sucks badly. Even just watching Brad play in the QLs, when he actually hits dudes, it doesn't take more than a couple of bullets and a headshot is always one hit kill.
    Avatar image for buzz_killington
    buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#182  Edited By buzz_killington

I would've been happy either way, Batman or Uncharted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will never play it due to zero interest in the PS3, but it seems like a balanced choice. Well done.

Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#184  Edited By Eurobum

"tactile feel" is a tautology, like "milky latte", or "infantile child". Both words have the same meaning, except one is of Latin origin while the other is Anglo-Saxon (or whatever). There is no tactile smell, look, sound or taste ... tactile is the adjective to the noun: "feeling", due to the lack of a word like "feely" or "feelicious".  

I understand that even when the only thing people feel in a game is a greasy controller, they can project themselves into the situation of the hero for it to be "felt", in the same way that amputees sometimes "feel" their missing limb. Our brains can do that to a certain extent, and this ability - learning through observation, imitation of others -  is vital in learning sports like skateboarding.

jvsexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#185  Edited By jvsexy
    @Chavtheworld said:
    " And yet after playing the first one - even if I owned a PS3 - I still wouldn't buy this game... "
    then go play pacman !
    Eversoranimus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By Eversoranimus

Batman and Uncharted 2 are such good games that either one could have won. Batman is my favorite game of 2009 but Uncharted 2 is the overall best game of the year.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#187  Edited By penguindust

I can't argue with the choice.  It was my number one, too although I am still not completely satisfied with my list.  I haven't played Dragon Age: Origins and I suspect that might supersede it in my book simply because I love a good Bioware RPG more than practically anything.  Well, I know eventually since I am downloading the game off Steam as I write this.

CABBAGES

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By CABBAGES

I suppose its probably the right choice but i would maybe say assassins creed 2 would maybe be my best game of 2009 With uncharted 2nd. 
    I really dont know about batman as i played quite alot of it then all of a sudden got very bored with it but all this talk of it makes me want to go and stick it on now and try finish it.

PhatSeeJay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#189  Edited By PhatSeeJay

props to the giantbomb team. Definitely the best GOTY display compared to other websites.
    Fun categories, nice reveals and excellent choice to do a new quick look of all of the winners to give us an insight to why you chose the games you did!

Thank you.

Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#190  Edited By Kr3lian

Thumbs down for Giantbomb falling over themselves for graphics and presentation and picking a third person, cover-based shooter as game of the year.  Yeah, they had great mo-cap.  So what.  This game didn't REALLY do anything to advance the industry because only a handful of studios are even going to be able to afford that level of voice talent and motion-capture tech. 

Batman really brought things back to basics and put together an amazing gameplay experience.  So what if the predator stuff was a little easy?  It was FUN.  So what if there were a lot of gargoyles.  You know what?  I am GLAD they made it all gargoyles.  Would it have been better to put different looking rafters in each area?  They had a gameplay mechanic and they stuck to it, building it throughout the game.   They gave you options if you didn't want to use the gargoyles.  Uncharted was stop-pop-stop-pop, do some climbing, stop-pop-stop-pop, do some climbing, shoot an unarmored boss in the head 77 times, stop-pop, ad nauseum.   It didn't even get harder or develop the gameplay throughout the game, they just through more enemies at you and they took more hits.  There were character arcs, but no gameplay arc.  The most "OH SHIT THAT'S AWEOME" moment took place a third into the game.

Uncharted 2 was a great game because of those production values, don't get me wrong, but they did NOTHING to advance the craft of making videogames, other than show that rich studios now have the tech to pull off some convincing cutscenes and backgrounds to wrap around their trite and tired gameplay.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76
    deactivated-5f8ac39b52e76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Kr3lian said:
    "Uncharted 2 was a great game because of those production values, don't get me wrong, but they did NOTHING to advance the craft of making videogames, other than show that rich studios now have the tech to pull off some convincing cutscenes and backgrounds to wrap around their trite and tired gameplay. "
    Funny, I have the same thoughts about the Batman game. Strip away the comic license and Batman suddenly becomes a very standard game.
    stratzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By stratzilla
    @Kr3lian said:
    " Thumbs down for Giantbomb falling over themselves for graphics and presentation and picking a third person, cover-based shooter as game of the year.  Yeah, they had great mo-cap.  So what.  This game didn't REALLY do anything to advance the industry because only a handful of studios are even going to be able to afford that level of voice talent and motion-capture tech. 

Batman really brought things back to basics and put together an amazing gameplay experience.  So what if the predator stuff was a little easy?  It was FUN.  So what if there were a lot of gargoyles.  You know what?  I am GLAD they made it all gargoyles.  Would it have been better to put different looking rafters in each area?  They had a gameplay mechanic and they stuck to it, building it throughout the game.   They gave you options if you didn't want to use the gargoyles.  Uncharted was stop-pop-stop-pop, do some climbing, stop-pop-stop-pop, do some climbing, shoot an unarmored boss in the head 77 times, stop-pop, ad nauseum.   It didn't even get harder or develop the gameplay throughout the game, they just through more enemies at you and they took more hits.  There were character arcs, but no gameplay arc.  The most "OH SHIT THAT'S AWEOME" moment took place a third into the game.  Uncharted 2 was a great game because of those production values, don't get me wrong, but they did NOTHING to advance the craft of making videogames, other than show that rich studios now have the tech to pull off some convincing cutscenes and backgrounds to wrap around their trite and tired gameplay. "
    u mad?
    Vorbis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#193  Edited By Vorbis

Both are great games and they spent over an hour arguing who should win so I don't think anyone has the right to say they were wrong. In the end they had to choose one game and Ryan put up a better argument. 

And those who are saying they are wrong without even having played both games, shouldn't you be on Gametrailers?

Grognard66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#194  Edited By Grognard66

Solid choice for GoTY and good picks all around in the other categories.
    Impossibilium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By Impossibilium
    @Kr3lian said:

"  This game didn't REALLY do anything to advance the industry because only a handful of studios are even going to be able to afford that level of voice talent and motion-capture tech.  "

There isn't one element of originality in Batman Arkham.  Even the graphics engine is a third party property which suffers the same "muscular dude" syndrome that other U3 games do. The central character isn't new either you know? The only major contribution to the gaming industry Batman gave is that it stopped licensed comic book properties being crap.

And somehow I think if Chair can afford Nolan North that means he's not particularly expensive or exclusive to hire. Especially when Batman has Mark Hamill. Remember him?

Really, what a pointless diatribe. Arguing between two games that operate on a similar level with similar gameplay concepts and drawbacks and borrow heavily from other sources, yet ignoring those elements on one game and criticizing the very same elements on another.

Giant Bomb is based on "fun." Which many users tend to forget. Like many things the GOTY is based on how much the staff enjoyed playing a game as much as it's gaming merits.  If you want to over analyze results then head over to a site that's more anal about it's gaming.

I really don't care who wins GOTY on Giant Bomb. It could have been 50 Cent Blood on the Sand and it wouldn't have bothered me if the write-up and video were good. Hell, I'd have give it to Just Dance on the Wii just for the Quick Look!
    forgeforsaken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By forgeforsaken

4 out of the 6 personal top 10s had Batman higher than Uncharted 2. I can't help but think that if Drew and Dave were part of the voting then the site's game of the year would be different.    
    Hamz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#197  Edited By Hamz

I have to say a big congratulations to the staff for all this end of year review stuff and a thumbs up for picking Uncharted 2 as their GOTY. It isn't a game that does anything too ground breaking or new in regards to gameplay mechanics etc. But it takes all of what it has and gives it such an extensive and high level of polish that the overall resulting quality of the game is just utterly mind blowing. Games don't always need to be pushing some new ground breaking technology or gameplay mechanics to advance the industry, sometimes going back over what has already been covered before and improving on it so dramatically provides an overall superior gaming experience.

Uncharted 2 does that, it refines character animations, voice acting, visual quality and many other things to such an extent it feels like they've reinvented how best to handle these things. A shining example of a game which proves if enough actual effort and time is put into the design and development the resulting product can be, for lack of a better word, a masterpiece of engineering and artistic quality.

Congratulations to the runners up as well. I did think Batman: Arkham Asylum might steal the GOTY award away from Uncharted 2 but I'm even more excited to see it came in as a runner up considering this is a game that was released by a little known developer with next to no experience. And they provide us with this mind blowing game that truly shows how to handle the use of a creative license when making a video game. Great job to Rock Steady!

imad81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#198  Edited By imad81
    @CABBAGES said:
    "

I suppose its probably the right choice but i would maybe say assassins creed 2 would maybe be my best game of 2009 With uncharted 2nd. 
    I really dont know about batman as i played quite alot of it then all of a sudden got very bored with it but all this talk of it makes me want to go and stick it on now and try finish it.

"
    same here fella..makes me wanna finish it even though i got bored around the halfway mark..
    Kr3lian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Kr3lian
    @Impossibilium said:

There isn't one element of originality in Batman Arkham . 

On some level, nothing is original.  I am sorry, but name one game that is appreciably similar to batman, and I will take that comment seriously. 

And somehow I think if Chair can afford Nolan North that means he's not particularly expensive or exclusive to hire. 

Then why do most games have incredibly bad voice work? 

Face the facts, Uncharted 2 is a pretty Gears of War with some pretty Tomb Raider elements.  I didn't even say I didn't like the game, but that gameplay flaw is pretty glaring. 

@stratzilla said: 
    u mad? "  

Not really, I just think it's fun to argue about Game of the Year.  Especially since Batman was better than UC2 ;) 

@atomic_dumpling
    said:
    Funny, I have the same thoughts about the Batman game. Strip away the comic license and Batman suddenly becomes a very standard game. "  

I have a feeling that you didn't even play it.  I think the universal acclaim for the game proves that idea is bunk.  On the other hand, most of the press acknowledges that Uncharted 2 has pretty run of the mill gameplay.  They just admittedly overlook that point for the whole package, which is great, but mostly propped up on graphics and production.  That's all I'm saying.
    KingGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By KingGamer

I am surprised Batman is runner-up.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.