Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wii

Platform »

The Nintendo Wii is a home video game console released on November 19, 2006. The Wii's main selling point was the innovative use of motion controls that its signature Wii Remote and Nunchuk controllers allowed for. It became the best selling home console of its respective generation of hardware.

How do you feel about the Wii?

• 177 results
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#1  Edited By Claude
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Claude

Here it is... How do you feel?

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Arkthemaniac

I love the Wii, but I picked 2, because I don't think it's the best ever. Best this gen, or at least it will be eventually.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4  Edited By Dalai

Had to go with 2... see Arkthemaniac's post.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Claude
    Dalai said:
    "Had to go with 2... see Arkthemaniac's post."

I made that for me and that was my pick as well.
    ZenaxPure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ZenaxPure
    Claude said:
    "Dalai said:
    "Had to go with 2... see Arkthemaniac's post."

I made that for me and that was my pick as well."
    Def my pick as well. 
    oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By oldschool

Oh sweet lord, just wait for HandsomeDead and all his posse of Wii forum disease, to come in with their Wii hating, predicatable and boring diatribe :(

I voted 2.

40+ million owners and rising.
    TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

4 for me.

Though I did just buy Okami for my Wii...will play it after I'm done with my other games.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By BiggerBomb

I went with 4. I'm disappointed with the games, not necessarily the system. Fortunately, I do have hopes for MadWorld and I'm confident that the next Legend of Zelda game will be announced by E3!

ArcBorealis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#10  Edited By ArcBorealis

Hmmm, 11.8 percent voted for 10.

Yeah, this board has too many assholes

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HandsomeDead

I have a Wii but I would like an actual game to come out for it. In fact, no, I don't really want a game for the Wii, i'd much rather have a game which does everything for me while I have fun playing on my 360. That way I can experience industry breakthroughs while enjoying myself.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By StaticFalconar

Despite ten choices there still wasn't one that truly fits how I feel....

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Al3xand3r

Just a misunderstood system. Some great games in its back catalogue and some great gems and megaton games for 2009 -- which I feel is finally its second generation games, being late thanks to devs misunderstanding it also -- which will ensure its future as both a casual and a core gaming system. I pity those who don't see it :)

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Claude
    HandsomeDead said:
    "I have a Wii but I would like an actual game to come out for it. In fact, no, I don't really want a game for the Wii, i'd much rather have a game which does everything for me while I have fun playing on my 360. That way I can experience industry breakthroughs while enjoying myself."

You're so Handsome, when you're Dead.
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

You don't want to know what I picked.

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By HandsomeDead
    Claude said:
    "HandsomeDead said:
    "I have a Wii but I would like an actual game to come out for it. In fact, no, I don't really want a game for the Wii, i'd much rather have a game which does everything for me while I have fun playing on my 360. That way I can experience industry breakthroughs while enjoying myself."

You're so Handsome, when you're Dead."
    Oh, Claude. You're making me blush.
    Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Claude
    LiquidPrince said:
    "You don't want to know what I picked."

Tell me anyway, just for fun. You know you want to tell me and you did pick... fact. ^
    LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By LiquidPrince
    Claude said:
    "LiquidPrince said:
    "You don't want to know what I picked."

Tell me anyway, just for fun. You know you want to tell me and you did pick... fact. ^"

I'll give you a hint. It's either - A, B, C, or D.

PercyChuggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By PercyChuggs

There are a couple decent games on the system I want to play, but after only playing A COUPLE DECENT GAMES on the last 2 Nintendo consoles, I won't be fooled again into buying this one.

c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By c1337us

Oooh good a poll. I chose #2 but my enthuiasm for it is probably leans toward the tone of #3.

Black_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By Black_Rose

Still enjoy playing it

shiftfallout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By shiftfallout

The Wii is a sore spot. Its a bright reminder of how Nintendo screwed up again. By this I mean, you have to look at the big picture. I grew up on the original NES, I was there when it first came to the USA, got Super Mario bros when it was brand spankin new. The Snes was great, it continued to appeal to all audiences, it was a mature platform. Then well... Nintendo betrayed the people who made them a success to continue to target young children, they didnt let their franchises grow as their original fans grew older. Now thats just a sore spot for me and Im sure many others who eventually ended up on PCs to get their gaming needs.

But this is important, the period at which Nintendo really screwed up is around the time the SNES was released and already running close to 2/3  of its life cycle (not that it would die but be replaced by the next system), the next system was in the works. Nintendo teamed up with Sony again for some hardware, this time it was for the SNES 2 (a cd version), only Nintendo backstabbed their partner and secretly made a deal with Phillips, a UK company instead. Sony's work for their new platform was left unfinished, and quite upset at the trickery displayed by Nintendo. You have to understand at the time, Japanese businesses were very loyal to eachother in the world market, and when Nintendo pulled that fast one, the Japanese became very upset. The result was Nintendo losing most of its very good third party support, and those great mature games/comapanies that were on the SNES. Sony wasnt about to accept their losses from this shaft, and thus continued the development of the console on their own, it was called the Playstation. That moment in Nintendo's history pretty much changed the course of how nintendo targets its audience as well as the type of products they release. The moment they left who they were to try and become someone else really hurt them. The N64 with Phillips was not a huge success compared to the Playstation, Sega died in wake of it all, the gamecube was an even greater dissapointment. The consoles were slowly turning into fisher price toys, marketed towards children for the most part while striving to make ends meet. They relied heavily on the income from their Game Boy line that was still doing well. Even then, they dropped the game boy name and went DS. This also shows that they are getting rid of what made them great to begin with. Finally they released the Wii.

But what is the Wii? The Wii is a gimmick. Its clever marketing aimed at getting back a ton of money Nintendo feels they have lost since their disgrace. The Wii is a remodeled Game Cube. They have made very little attempt to stay competitive in the next gen field. Instead, they are the only console provider to actually make a profit on their consoles (both Microsoft and Sony take a loss for selling current and or latest tech in their consoles). The Wii without the wiimote would be nothing, thus the Wiimote is the gimmick, highly marketed, that sells a re-released system for way more than its worth. Now is the Wiimote different? Sure as hell it is. I love it, but is it new? Yes and no. The technology for it has existed for quite a while, and its very cheap to make. In fact another company already had the patent for it, but Nintendo made some slight changes and called it their own. That said, all it is, is a camera tracking two lights to sense movement. This has been used in film, animation, all sorts of fields and devices. The accelerometer was also quite common, it was used in old microsoft PC controllers and even some third part playstation controllers. Nothing new. Basically the Wii is a re-release of a game cube, old tech, made so that it wouldnt cost nintendo very much to make while they sell at a much higher cost. The consoles were made slowly to increase to create shortages and raise the demand, a common strategy. It throws in some older tech and puts it in a nice package, highly marketed, when its really just a Gimmick. Now like i said, i love the wiimote, its a fun little cammera tracking device, but my issue is with Nintendo's practices here. If you look at what they have done since N64, its been a slap in the face to a lot of their old fans. Im sure the fanboys wont see it, but fanboys are not really known for their intelligence.

Nintendo went through a huge restructuring over that period, they are very stingy in terms of business, and are not really faithful to their fans. Miyamoto himself designed the Mii concept long ago, but was later told that someone else will use it and claim it as their own for the use on the Wii. Miyamotos version was less childish and allowed users to put their own face on the models if you wanted to. The Mii, is a doll. Its pathetic at how childish and old the graphics are for these avatars. Essentially, I have lost all respect for Nintendo. It started as a seed when they shafted their business partner, and grew as each console was released after. At one point you have to say, "i have had enough, characters I grew up on are turned into child toys, franchises literally pooped upon, and the marketing of nintendo is quick go where easily duped are." Even to this day, Nintendo has trouble with its third party developers, most of its games suck, and they rely too much on the names of their first party games, franchises like Mario, metroid, and Zelda. Re-using them to death, and never really following up on them or their audience.

Thanks for reading, this is just one long time gamers perspective on this issue. Agree or disagree, but dont be a fanboy about it.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Kazona

I don't have a Wii, but I might get one. Might.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Willy105

I still love it. It's awesome.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Endogene
    shiftfallout said:
    "The Wii is a sore spot. Its a bright reminder of how Nintendo screwed up again. By this I mean, you have to look at the big picture. I grew up on the original NES, I was there when it first came to the USA, got Super Mario bros when it was brand spankin new. The Snes was great, it continued to appeal to all audiences, it was a mature platform. Then well... Nintendo betrayed the people who made them a success to continue to target young children, they didnt let their franchises grow as their original fans grew older. Now thats just a sore spot for me and Im sure many others who eventually ended up on PCs to get their gaming needs.

But this is important, the period at which Nintendo really screwed up is around the time the SNES was released and already running close to 2/3  of its life cycle (not that it would die but be replaced by the next system), the next system was in the works. Nintendo teamed up with Sony again for some hardware, this time it was for the SNES 2 (a cd version), only Nintendo backstabbed their partner and secretly made a deal with Phillips, a UK company instead. Sony's work for their new platform was left unfinished, and quite upset at the trickery displayed by Nintendo. You have to understand at the time, Japanese businesses were very loyal to eachother in the world market, and when Nintendo pulled that fast one, the Japanese became very upset. The result was Nintendo losing most of its very good third party support, and those great mature games/comapanies that were on the SNES. Sony wasnt about to accept their losses from this shaft, and thus continued the development of the console on their own, it was called the Playstation. That moment in Nintendo's history pretty much changed the course of how nintendo targets its audience as well as the type of products they release. The moment they left who they were to try and become someone else really hurt them. The N64 with Phillips was not a huge success compared to the Playstation, Sega died in wake of it all, the gamecube was an even greater dissapointment. The consoles were slowly turning into fisher price toys, marketed towards children for the most part while striving to make ends meet. They relied heavily on the income from their Game Boy line that was still doing well. Even then, they dropped the game boy name and went DS. This also shows that they are getting rid of what made them great to begin with. Finally they released the Wii.

But what is the Wii? The Wii is a gimmick. Its clever marketing aimed at getting back a ton of money Nintendo feels they have lost since their disgrace. The Wii is a remodeled Game Cube. They have made very little attempt to stay competitive in the next gen field. Instead, they are the only console provider to actually make a profit on their consoles (both Microsoft and Sony take a loss for selling current and or latest tech in their consoles). The Wii without the wiimote would be nothing, thus the Wiimote is the gimmick, highly marketed, that sells a re-released system for way more than its worth. Now is the Wiimote different? Sure as hell it is. I love it, but is it new? Yes and no. The technology for it has existed for quite a while, and its very cheap to make. In fact another company already had the patent for it, but Nintendo made some slight changes and called it their own. That said, all it is, is a camera tracking two lights to sense movement. This has been used in film, animation, all sorts of fields and devices. The accelerometer was also quite common, it was used in old microsoft PC controllers and even some third part playstation controllers. Nothing new. Basically the Wii is a re-release of a game cube, old tech, made so that it wouldnt cost nintendo very much to make while they sell at a much higher cost. The consoles were made slowly to increase to create shortages and raise the demand, a common strategy. It throws in some older tech and puts it in a nice package, highly marketed, when its really just a Gimmick. Now like i said, i love the wiimote, its a fun little cammera tracking device, but my issue is with Nintendo's practices here. If you look at what they have done since N64, its been a slap in the face to a lot of their old fans. Im sure the fanboys wont see it, but fanboys are not really known for their intelligence.

Nintendo went through a huge restructuring over that period, they are very stingy in terms of business, and are not really faithful to their fans. Miyamoto himself designed the Mii concept long ago, but was later told that someone else will use it and claim it as their own for the use on the Wii. Miyamotos version was less childish and allowed users to put their own face on the models if you wanted to. The Mii, is a doll. Its pathetic at how childish and old the graphics are for these avatars. Essentially, I have lost all respect for Nintendo. It started as a seed when they shafted their business partner, and grew as each console was released after. At one point you have to say, "i have had enough, characters I grew up on are turned into child toys, franchises literally pooped upon, and the marketing of nintendo is quick go where easily duped are." Even to this day, Nintendo has trouble with its third party developers, most of its games suck, and they rely too much on the names of their first party games, franchises like Mario, metroid, and Zelda. Re-using them to death, and never really following up on them or their audience.

Thanks for reading, this is just one long time gamers perspective on this issue. Agree or disagree, but dont be a fanboy about it."
    Ok so i read through this and i have not the slightest idea what you are talking about. I usually don't go into anti wii rants but yours is just way to tempting because of what you said about the DS.

Guess i'll go section by section on this one:

The Snes was great, it continued to appeal to all audiences, it was a mature platform. Then well... Nintendo betrayed the people who made them a success to continue to target young children, they didnt let their franchises grow as their original fans grew older.
    The nes never really appealed to all audiances, there where extremely few to no games with mature stories back then most of them where aimed at kids but where rediculously hard, the snes i will agree that there where the quantity of games that had more mature themes was higher but i can't remember nintendo releasing a game with a more complicated story like say final fantasy 6. Wouldnt nintendo not changing mean they are loyal to their roots? You will probably have some comment here.

the Japanese became very upset. The result was Nintendo losing most of its very good third party support, and those great mature games/comapanies that were on the SNES
    No... Nintendo lost their third party support due to the fact that Compact Discs where way more cheaper to make than chartridges and devellopers are there to make money and made the obvious choise of putting their games on the cheaper medium (that eventually ended up with a huge install base also) in order to get more money out of every sale.

Game Boy line that was still doing well. Even then, they dropped the game boy name and went DS. This also shows that they are getting rid of what made them great to begin with
    This is the point where i decided to reply. The Nintendo DS has done far better both in sales quantity and quality of the games that the original gameboy ever did.

But what is the Wii? The Wii is a gimmick. Its clever marketing aimed at getting back a ton of money Nintendo feels they have lost since their disgrace. The Wii is a remodeled Game Cube. They have made very little attempt to stay competitive in the next gen field. Instead, they are the only console provider to actually make a profit on their consoles (both Microsoft and Sony take a loss for selling current and or latest tech in their consoles).
    My my... the wii is a remodeled game cube... yeah i agree jsut as much as the 360 is a remodelled XBOX and the PS3 a remodelled PS2 and there is nothing wrong with that really. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all chose on 3 oposite directions to market their products. To sell something it has to be competative in either price, quality or inovation. Sony chose to go for quality, Microsoft argualaby choose the mid section between quality and price and Nintendo obviously chose to go for low price and inovation. The end result was Sony and Microsoft fighting of for the "Quality" market whith microsoft having the price advantage and Nintendo selling to everyone who wanted something they did not alredy have.

. The Mii, is a doll. Its pathetic at how childish and old the graphics are for these avatars. Essentially, I have lost all respect for Nintendo.
    You are free to not like the artistic style of how the mii's look but dont do so without talking about microsoft. Actually i am not sure if you are talking about style or poly count here.

"i have had enough, characters I grew up on are turned into child toys,
    Your vision got distorted by nostalgia, they always were child toys.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#26  Edited By RHCPfan24

4 for me. I love a few games recently, (Animal Crossing is....fun), but I really am waiting for the next big game that will make me want to play the Wii. 

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Fuck the wii it is dead to me.

I purchased it at launch 250 dollars I played twilight princess, mario party 8, SMG, and RE4 Wii edition and not a single game since has appealed to me simple as that all the system has is shovelware and i do believe nintendo will be a source of the second american video game crash because of all the worthless trash on the system.

I sold the wii recently for 150 bux, at most i made about 60-70% back on what i paid in games, nunchuck, remote, and classic controller, and because of that i hate the system now and nintendo is my hated company now.

ArchScabby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ArchScabby

I sold mine about a year ago and have never looked back.

Nets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29  Edited By Nets
    oldschool said:
    "Oh sweet lord, just wait for HandsomeDead and all his posse of Wii forum disease, to come in with their Wii hating, predicatable and boring diatribe :(

I voted 2.

"

Like when you were trolling the PS3 forum?
    Woffls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Woffls

I have a Wii.
    It sits there next to my 360 and PS3 ready for when I need it to play Mario, Zelda, F-Zero, Smash Bros or Metroid. I never expected more from it than what it has given me, and anyone that did should not be surprised, as this is hardly the first time that a Nintendo format hasn't been the console of choice for the 'core' demographic.

It might not be doing much right now, but when I play another game like Mario Galaxy, I wont need to think twice about its value to my gaming endeavours.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Endogene
    Nets said:
    "oldschool said:
    "Oh sweet lord, just wait for HandsomeDead and all his posse of Wii forum disease, to come in with their Wii hating, predicatable and boring diatribe :(

I voted 2.

"

Like when you were trolling the PS3 forum?"
    You should go back to that thread he made and read his comment near the end.
    Shazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Shazam

I have a Wii and while it's great to play with a group of friends (Smash Bros), it just doesn't reach the heights of the 360 and PS3. I think it's because it's trying to appease to broad a spectrum of people (grandparents etc) and releases terrible,boring games like Wii yoga and Wii music which aren't even games. I mean, Zelda was amazing - I could swing that sword all day but seriously, I can think of maybe 5 games I actually liked and the rest are garbage which you get so nauseatingly tired of in about a millisecond.

Maybe if they stopped trying to get everyone to like them like some desperate teenager, we might see some real games come out of Nintendo...

shiftfallout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By shiftfallout
     Endogene said:
    SNIP: "The Wii is a sore spot. Its a bright reminder of how .........be a fanboy about it."SNIP
    Ok so i read through this and i have not the slightest idea what you are talking about. I usually don't go into anti wii rants but yours is just way to tempting because of what you said about the DS.

Guess i'll go section by section on this one:

The Snes was great, it continued to appeal to all audiences, it was a mature platform. Then well... Nintendo betrayed the people who made them a success to continue to target young children, they didnt let their franchises grow as their original fans grew older.
    The nes never really appealed to all audiances, there where extremely few to no games with mature stories back then most of them where aimed at kids but where rediculously hard, the snes i will agree that there where the quantity of games that had more mature themes was higher but i can't remember nintendo releasing a game with a more complicated story like say final fantasy 6. Wouldnt nintendo not changing mean they are loyal to their roots? You will probably have some comment here.

the Japanese became very upset. The result was Nintendo losing most of its very good third party support, and those great mature games/comapanies that were on the SNES
    No... Nintendo lost their third party support due to the fact that Compact Discs where way more cheaper to make than chartridges and devellopers are there to make money and made the obvious choise of putting their games on the cheaper medium (that eventually ended up with a huge install base also) in order to get more money out of every sale.

Game Boy line that was still doing well. Even then, they dropped the game boy name and went DS. This also shows that they are getting rid of what made them great to begin with
    This is the point where i decided to reply. The Nintendo DS has done far better both in sales quantity and quality of the games that the original gameboy ever did.

But what is the Wii? The Wii is a gimmick. Its clever marketing aimed at getting back a ton of money Nintendo feels they have lost since their disgrace. The Wii is a remodeled Game Cube. They have made very little attempt to stay competitive in the next gen field. Instead, they are the only console provider to actually make a profit on their consoles (both Microsoft and Sony take a loss for selling current and or latest tech in their consoles).
    My my... the wii is a remodeled game cube... yeah i agree jsut as much as the 360 is a remodelled XBOX and the PS3 a remodelled PS2 and there is nothing wrong with that really. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all chose on 3 oposite directions to market their products. To sell something it has to be competative in either price, quality or inovation. Sony chose to go for quality, Microsoft argualaby choose the mid section between quality and price and Nintendo obviously chose to go for low price and inovation. The end result was Sony and Microsoft fighting of for the "Quality" market whith microsoft having the price advantage and Nintendo selling to everyone who wanted something they did not alredy have.

. The Mii, is a doll. Its pathetic at how childish and old the graphics are for these avatars. Essentially, I have lost all respect for Nintendo.
    You are free to not like the artistic style of how the mii's look but dont do so without talking about microsoft. Actually i am not sure if you are talking about style or poly count here.

"i have had enough, characters I grew up on are turned into child toys,
    Your vision got distorted by nostalgia, they always were child toys.

"

Oh boy. OK despite the numerous spelling errors, which I hope is not an indicator of your age, I will also respond one by one.

Endogene: "The nes never really appealed to all audiances, there where extremely few to no games with mature stories back then most of them where aimed at kids but where rediculously hard, the snes i will agree that there where the quantity of games that had more mature themes was higher but i can't remember nintendo releasing a game with a more complicated story like say final fantasy 6. Wouldnt nintendo not changing mean they are loyal to their roots? You will probably have some comment here."

You seem to be forgetting that the NES was new and it hit a large audience for the small amount of gamers that existed. Gaming was a very Niche market, very small and otherwise not nearly as popular as it is today. When the NES hit the US shores, its clear at who the System was marketed to. Do you even remember the commercials?
    Here let me give you a list of a few of the first advertisements.
    1. First Nintendo Commercial.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhzmnAp1R8g (a young kid and a older teenager play a variety of games)
    2. First Zelda commercial, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwgNnhM20TI  (Targeted towards teenagers)
    3. Sci Fi version of Nintendo Commercial, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOZUG53pGjE (All teens with a mature undertone)
    4. Mike Tysons Punchout, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3NjlUja7Zo  (an adult mike tyson playing the console)
    5. Power Glove commercial http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93iDhnBcMGo  (features a mature sci-fi boy playing with the slogan "now you are playing with POWER")

The snes featured games from all genres for all audiences while carrying on the franchises from the NES. Now they rely more on a stylized re-using of names while childizing them for mass consumption. I mean, baby mario in a world made out of happy flower patterns and denim? The legend of Zelda as a little boy? Then as a cartoon? What happened to the old link fighting off a pig faced Ganon and going after his smoking hot princess, who had quite a nice rack i might add. Princess Toadstool became, peach? Mario and Luigi suddenly have evil cousins? The world is filled with flowers and happiness with bady bad guys! Mario RPG was remade as Paper Mario.... PAPER MARIO? whos genius idea was that? A mario rpg that uses small numbers and 2d graphics that look akin to construction paper. /palm to face/

Endogene: "No... Nintendo lost their third party support due to the fact that Compact Discs where way more cheaper to make than chartridges and devellopers are there to make money and made the obvious choise of putting their games on the cheaper medium (that eventually ended up with a huge install base also) in order to get more money out of every sale."

While the discs were slightly cheaper and Sony was easier to work with than Nintendo, you are wrong about the main cause. According to an ex-nintendo employee, David Scheff and his book "Game Over", Nintendo went behind Sony's back to strike a deal with Phillips, never informing Sony about it. Sony went out publicly to announce the product between the two companies. At the CES shortly after, Nintendo shocked everyone by announcing it teamed up with Phillips, and that the "playstation" wasnt happening. This shocked many, Sony definately because it came out of no where and after they publicly announced it, it especially shocked and outraged Japanese game developement companies. It was unheard of, and many did not want to work with Nintendo after that. Nintendo lost a lot of Japanese game developer support, though it still had third parties from other nations. So what happened? They all went to Sony who decided to continue with the project without Nintendo, even though Nintendo tried to take them to court over it. This hurt Nintendo more than you can know. All those companies that they had hooked with the NES and SNES were disgusted with Nintendo. Square, Capcom, Namco, all the big developers decided to work with Sony, another Japanese company. Nintendo has had a hard time getting back that trust, and from the looks of it, will never recover from that loss, third party wise. 

I dont blame you that you are not familar with this, but you shouldnt pretend you know everything. I really liked Nintendo, especially as someone who has played it since the beginning, but they completely rubbed me the wrong way ever since the GameCube and CEO change. The nintendo of today is not the same company that it was earlier, different people are in charge with different methods and agendas. I bet you didnt know that Nintendo used to work with the Yakuza? Nintendo has been everything from a gaming card company to a gambling company, a taxi company, a brothel company, and eventually a computer game company. Its past isnt all peachy, (pun intended).

Endogene:"This is the point where i decided to reply. The Nintendo DS has done far better both in sales quantity and quality of the games that the original gameboy ever did.
    "

Again you forget that every generation adds more gamers. When the original game boy came out, gaming was still a small nerdy thing to do. Every year more and more gamers emerge, and the products will always be able to reach a larger audience because there are more people to target. The game boy line was its bread and butter, loved and recognized around the world. They changed, got rid of the Game Boy brand, and started with something else. To me, thats selling out, and a reminder that Nintendo is a different company now, they have no consistency other than relying on their first party franchises for success. Nice try but no cigar...

EndoGene:"My my... the wii is a remodeled game cube... yeah i agree jsut as much as the 360 is a remodelled XBOX and the PS3 a remodelled PS2 and there is nothing wrong with that really. Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo all chose on 3 oposite directions to market their products. To sell something it has to be competative in either price, quality or inovation. Sony chose to go for quality, Microsoft argualaby choose the mid section between quality and price and Nintendo obviously chose to go for low price and inovation. The end result was Sony and Microsoft fighting of for the "Quality" market whith microsoft having the price advantage and Nintendo selling to everyone who wanted something they did not alredy have."

You dont know much about technology do you? Whats in each system, the hardware used, the costs.... 

Lets put it this way: Let me show you two pictures.
    http://i.i.com.com/cnet.g2/images/2006/256/915692_20060914_screen001.jpg
    and
    http://i.i.com.com/cnet.g2/images/2002/gamecube/mariosunshine/mariosunshine_0428_screen003.jpg

One is mario sunshine, the other is Mario Galaxy. If the images are not speaking to you...
    Fact: Nintendo is the only console making a large profit off of its console sales. Why? because it cost very little to make since its essentially the same 6th generation system with a different paintjob.
    WII:
    88 MBmain memory (24 MB "internal" 1T-SRAM integrated into graphics package, 64 MB "external" GDDR3 SDRAM)To sum it up, 729mhz CPU + Low end GPU + 64mb of RAM. Do you even understand what this means? Thats old and slow even by todays standards. My old old old computer had more RAM and a faster CPU than that.
    The jump from Game Cube to Wii resulted in a 300mhz increase and a 20mb increase of RAM.

The original Xbox had a 733mhz CPU and 64 mb of Ram. Its GPU was even more powerful. This is an old generation machine and nintendos 7th gen is almost two generations behind. Why are people paying that much for something nintendo is not keeping up with in order to profit more?
    The 360, which came out before the Wii includes over 3 GIGAHERTZE of CPU power, thats nearly 4 times more processing power than the Wii. What a jump to use current technology. It has 500mb of RAM, as compared to the wiis 64.

You cannot compare the old xbox to the 360, nor can you compare the ps2 to the ps3 in terms of hardware. YOu can with the Wii because they are the SAME. I cant believe you are a moderator if you truly believe what you just said.

Endogen:"You are free to not like the artistic style of how the mii's look but dont do so without talking about microsoft. Actually i am not sure if you are talking about style or poly count here."

I am free to do so yes, and what is the artistic value of a sphere attached to a cone with four cubes for hands and feet? This goes back to whats in the Wii. The Mii was designed around remarketing older technology. Its like someone someone selling you an expired carton of Milk for full price. The Mii's use the excuse of a type of japanese doll, which is essentially a slap of wood in which you paint a face on.

Endogene: "Your vision got distorted by nostalgia, they always were child toys. "

My vision is 20/20, nostalgia is great and all, but Im not the person to fall victem to it as a form of Illusion. Nice try though, as you can see I am one to back up my statements with facts and concrete details. Theres no nostalgia in that.

I hope this was educational for you, dont let your Mod status go to your head.
    Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bear

I am somewhere in between 4 and 10. I would really like a good game that I am interested in to come out for the Wii, but it's hard to remain optimistic.

Al3xand3r

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Al3xand3r

Oh teh specz powar, i lurve reading specs, it makes my games 10x better instantly if I can read meaty specs!
    Whoever said the Wii is powerful as the 360 or the PS3 for you to start bringing that stuff up dude? All he said is it's not just a GC and even you pretty much confirmed that, so what point are you trying to make? Everyone knows of the Wii's limitations to an extent, you're not smarter. What does "even by today's standards" mean anyway? Of course you'd compare it with today's standards, what else is there to compare it to? I'm not seeing how anything you said means the Wii is the inferior game system or Nintendo the inferior company though so, I guess I'll leave my post at that, there's nothing else to argue.

William, you've played exactly a handful of games yet you call everything else shovelware? How narrow can one be? Oh, this narrow. Thanks.

All I'll agree that the Wii has a real fault in is that its second generation of games took pretty damn long to show up, only coming this year for the most part -- at least in these shores. Then again, that's not Nintendo's fault for the most part. Third parties, thanks to online critics' opinions and the vocal Wii-hating minorities displayed in online communities, misjudged the market and dabbled in little other than low-budget shovelware and PS2 ports.

This does, however, slowly change. It only took a few of the larger companies to wake up -- Namco Bandai (Fragile, Sky Crawlers, new Tales of, Klonoa), CAPCOM (Tatsunoko, Monster Hunter 3), Square-Enix (Dragon Quest X, Crystal Bearers), SEGA (Mad World, The Conduit, House of the Dead: Overkill) for the rest to follow (Little King's Story, Rune Factory Frontier, Deadly Creatures, Cursed Mountain, Arc Rise Fantasia, Endless Ocean 2, Sin & Punishment 2,  Overlord, Oboro Muramasa Youtouden, Cosmic Walker, and all the other awesome stuff shown in Nintendo Media Summit), and now the Wii constantly gets new exclusives of either sequels or new IPs announced for it, from the studios' first rate teams and not the lesser ones as in the past.

You guys already have 2 consoles and the PC more or less dedicated to what you consider core gaming, leave the Wii alone to do what it's doing for those who see it, whether they're casuals or people interested in its own core offerings, and live your merry life without getting upset over what others are doing or enjoying, trying to prove your taste is better, "your" company is better or whatever else. Just don't be surprised if even you one day grow to realise that the Wii has become much like a DS for the TV, ie a system that is accused, abused, and yet still offers a wealth of games for all types of gamers, from casuals with its edu-ware and non-games, to core gamers with shmups, 2D side scrollers, shooters, JRPGs, FPS, even damn dungeon crawlers.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Endogene
    shiftfallout said:
    Oh boy. OK despite the numerous spelling errors, which I hope is not an indicator of your age
    text...
    I cant believe you are a moderator if you truly believe what you just said.
    text...
    I hope this was educational for you, dont let your Mod status go to your head.

Not age, origin no cigar is guess? I am well aware of the technical specs of the wii but that was not what i was talking about, i compare consoles when the upgrades the got over their previous version is mainly "power" related. I am also aware of what the mii's are based upon, actually there is nothing new for me in your reply. The reason why i do not go and dig up facts is simple, no time.

Mod status has nothing to do with this, i am just a guy who helps users out anf fixes stuff, i am a wiki mod actually.
    Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Linkyshinks

lol, spend a hour or so telling people stuff they already no doubt know.

Nintendo had a completely different road map for the console from the very start, one which did not require a bump in raw power. I did not buy a Wii for it's techinical prowess, I bought it for the great games I knew would turn up, and that is not dependant on a raw power. I bought the Wii for it's the classic franchises, games you only get on Nintendo platforms.

The Wii Remote is no more a gimick that a fricking control pad, if well designed for you can create great games. I have played numerous Wii games where it has been effectively and considerately used, and in those very games I have found experiences you simply do not find on other consoles. That is why the Wii is great. It should get a lot greater this year. You can be sure Nintendo have games that have been kept very hush over the last two years. These are games that will resurrect their image among a certain idiotic fraction of gamers who are not happy with some of the great games the console has already seen.

Nintendo are well aware of what they need to do, they have expanded the audience which was one of the console aims and they now have the money to create huge AAA games with ease. There are good times ahead for the console, the quality of software will improve greatly in these next two years.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gameboi

I have a Wii, and I reserve it for first-party Nintendo games. If a new Mario, Metroid, or Zelda comes out, I play it. If not, it remains unplugged until one does.

elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By elbow

Flat out 10 for me, there was once upon a time when I would have considered getting a Wii, but Mario and Zelda  plus whatever amalgamation of Nintendo IP gets put together every three years do not justify spending on a console that is largely underwhelming in the quality of the product that it puts out. Perhaps a parent who has children or someone who is in close proximity with someone who isn't a gamer, could probably enjoy having a Wii, but certainly not me. I'm a gaming monster, like I eat, breath and sleep it, it's my favorite hobbie when I have the time and considering the thirst I have for them, there's no way I could ever make good use of a Wii.

Reggie was right, I do have an insatiable hunger for games, I want more, but really is there anything wrong with that? With the amount of good games that are being pumped into my PS3/PC/PSP combo, I look back and laugh at myself for actually thinking of buying a Wii, a move I am sure I would have regretted. I consider myself a hardcore to the bone gamer and at the current state I simply could not fork over 300 dollars that I could use to buy more games for the platforms I already have.

shadows_kill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shadows_kill

4 for me...

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By End_Boss

This thread needed to happen.

Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Shinryu

I have a wii and never play it due to lack of titles that that i enjoy on that platform.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By End_Boss
    Endogene said:
    My my... the wii is a remodeled game cube... yeah i agree jsut as much as the 360 is a remodelled XBOX and the PS3 a remodelled PS2 and there is nothing wrong with that really."
    You are wrong. What he meant by that is that the Wii is essentially a Gamecube in a different case, whereas though the 360 and the PS3 are iterations in the same series of consoles, they have advanced technologically to where they can be considered improvements upon the original. The Wii? Not so much.

Oh, and if you cite the Wiimote as a technological advancement, then... Well, then there's nothing I can do for you.
    TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#44  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Arkthemaniac mentioned this term to describe how many people feel about the Wii in one of his recent threads. It's one I definitely have to agree with. "$250 dust collector". I haven't played my Wii in quite some time and haven't seen much of a reason to do so. Sure, I'd like to give De Blob a shot. I guess I'll need to hook my Wii back up so I can play World of Goo. I still haven't played Mario Kart Wii and would like to. I tried to get Zack and Wiki for Christmas, but the lowest price of a new copy at the time was like $50. The game's price dropped to $20 long ago, and I guess it's become kind of a rare item since then. Prices are back down to about $20 new, but I've been reluctant to buy it since well... dude, I don't even know if I'll like it. I've never been able to rent it since my Blockbuster hasn't carried it. Maybe one of these days I'll pick it up regardless. I'm real disappointed that they've done so little with Animal Crossing: City Folk. I was really planning on buying it. Still, I was thinking of getting it for my cousin. Since she's only played the original a little, I'm sure she'd get a kick out of it.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Endogene
    End_Boss said:
    "Endogene said:
    My my... the wii is a remodeled game cube... yeah i agree jsut as much as the 360 is a remodelled XBOX and the PS3 a remodelled PS2 and there is nothing wrong with that really."
    You are wrong. What he meant by that is that the Wii is essentially a Gamecube in a different case, whereas though the 360 and the PS3 are iterations in the same series of consoles, they have advanced technologically to where they can be considered improvements upon the original. The Wii? Not so much.

Oh, and if you cite the Wiimote as a technological advancement, then... Well, then there's nothing I can do for you."
    Eh? Wiimote is a fine thingie, great remote for winamp, its not a advancement it is the way it is used.
    Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By Meowayne
    Shinryu said:
    "I have a wii and never play it due to lack of titles that that i enjoy on that platform."
    Well, how many titles do you try in order to make that kind of statement, hm?

My enjoyment with the console increased significantly in the last months, because I started randomly playing titles that people recommend even though

1) they got mediocre reviews
    2) normally I would never have bought them

The Umbrella Chronicles I enjoyed far more than Assasin's Creed. De Blob or World of Goo, for me, held a hell of a lot more awesome than Bioshock. Zack & Wiki keeps my attention while Battle for Middle Earth II collects dust on the shelve.
    And when there's a lot of people around, the Wii always more than shines.
    Then I'm one of the people who enjoy the 15 - 20 minutes a day you can relax with things like the Voting- News- and Weather-channel and with Wiiware thingies like TV Show King.

Plus, Homebrew. Awesome. I can play Full Throttle with the thing.

I love to be able to play Gears2, Mirror's Edge or Lost Odyssey on my X360, but as a secondary console, I've come to really like the Wii again in the last weeks and months. I'm still disappointed in the motion controls, which just plain suck 85% of the time and were initially my only reason to buy the thing, but still. I feel good about the Wii.

Shinryu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Shinryu
    Meowayne said:
    "Shinryu said:
    "I have a wii and never play it due to lack of titles that that i enjoy on that platform."
    Well, how many titles do you try in order to make that kind of statement, hm?

"
    I own 9 Wii Games in Total.

If you want the full list so be it:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    Super Mario Galaxy
    Zelda:Twilight Princess
    No More Heroes (Which was awesome!)
    Animal Crossing City Folk
    Metriod Prime 3 Corruption
    Pro Evo 2008
    Wii Fit
    Wii Sports (Obviously)

Ive got a lend of a few other games off my mates and still dont feel the same level of excitement i get from my 360 titles at the minute. Thats not a slight against the Wii just a personal preference i guess.
    ThomasP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ThomasP

Loft's of action in this thread.

I have and enjoy my Wii, but there is a void in my heart. The PS3 will fill that someday soon.

worknman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By worknman

Perhaps a parent who has children or someone who is in close proximity with someone who isn't a gamer, could probably enjoy having a Wii, but certainly not me. I'm a gaming monster, like I eat, breath and sleep it, it's my favorite hobbie when I have the time and considering the thirst I have for them, there's no way I could ever make good use of a Wii.

You've hit the nail right on the head. Of course, you understand that by the virtue of the fact that you are a 'gaming monster', the Wii is never going to be enough to satisfy you by itself. I've heard a lot of people say that they only play their 360 and PS3, while their Wii collects dust. But these people simply don't understand that they were never part of the Wii's target audience to begin with.

The Wii is all about games that are simple for casual players to get into, and easy to pick up and play. There's nothing wrong with this, as the 360/PS3 are around to appease the hardcore gamer, and they can even pick up a Wii for the wife and kids :)

It's not hard to figure out why those of you who are into 30-40 hour epics aren't really into the kinds of games that the Wii has to offer. You're really better off sticking to your 360/PS3, instead of expecting the Wii to be something that it just isn't. You want to play the kind of games on your Wii that you play on the 360/PS3, but it simply ain't gonna happen.  As for me personally, I'd rather play games on the Wii, instead of  whatever space marine shooter is being pumped out this week. But then again, I'm not a hardcore gaming fanatic like many of you, so take that for what its worth.

Some have said in this thread that Nintendo has abandoned its core audience, but Nintendo hasn't really changed the kinds of games it makes over the years, so perhaps the real truth is that it's the other way around?

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Kratos81

I have owned and sold 2 wii's. I sold the first because of lack of good games, then SMG came out and I bought another one. I just sold my wii, 2 weeks ago. I never played it anyways. IT has the be the shittiest  console I have ever owned. I am still in awe on how everyone wants a fucking wii. The idea of the wii is better then owning it. As a 20 year gamer, and always owning every console every gen, I honestly have to say the wii is the worst console I have ever owned.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.