Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Wolfenstein: The New Order

Game » consists of 12 releases. Released May 20, 2014

Outnumbered and outgunned by high-tech Nazi forces, B.J. Blazkowicz returns to fight for an underground resistance movement in an alternate-historical 1960 where the Nazis won World War II and achieved global dominance.

Why is no one excited for Wolfenstein?

• 112 results
    hanner74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm not quite sure if I understand why no one is excited for Wolfenstein. The Wolfenstein franchise has a long history, being one that got many of us into gaming to begin with. The last Wolfenstein game was actually very good, and under appreciated in my opinion. So what gives why is no one saying anything postivie looking ahead to The New Order?

Avatar image for chumley_marchbanks
    chumley_marchbanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

@hanner74: I'm certainly interested, but new games based on old IPs are generally hit and miss these days so I'm waiting with baited breath until the reviews start showing up.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's a weird generalization. Seems like with each trailer people seem to be more and more interested in this. That's saying something for yet another FPS reboot of an old ass game most people born in the last twenty years haven't played. It's not like this reboots have a great track record anyway.

I'm cautiously interested.

Samael2138

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Samael2138

I'm excited! I think it looks pretty good, and really, am just happy to have a new game coming out for the new consoles, even if it's not "completely Next-Gen", whatever the hell that means. I'm also glad that it's a dedicated single player game that reportedly is in the 20 hour range. Sounds great to me.

Unfortunately, I have to go to the Doctor in a couple of days to have a cyst in my right wrist examined, and may even need surgery to remove it. I've already had to stop gaming for about 2 weeks. I'm just hoping I can have it aspirated, and maybe be back to playing by next Tuesday.

AlexanderSheen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh shit! It's coming out next week? Awesome!

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I totally am. It looks insanely weird and hilariously gory. I can't wait for next Tuesday.

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think it will be fun but i think why me and most people arent hyping the game is because of one thing.its a fps.people are kinda getting tired of fps games to the point where unless its doing something new or different people wont be impressed enough to care.so alot of fps games that could very well be solid games still dont excite people anymore.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think the game looks cool, but I'm also not even close to being sure it's gonna be any good.

Blu3V3nom07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I saw that the guitarist from Meshuggah is doing some of the music. I'm still excited.

joshwent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@hanner74 said:

I'm not quite sure if I understand why no one is excited for Wolfenstein.

I'm not sure I understand what gave you that impression. Just like everyone else (so far) in this thread, I'm very, albeit cautiously, excited for the game.

Quarters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think it looks awesome. Love Starbreeze's games back in the day, and have loved all the trailers so far. Don't know if I'll buy it day 1, but I'll definitely rent it, or pick it up later on down the road.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punkxblaze's hype level is at 10. Get a Free Copy Of wolfenstein with the doom beta.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

lacks the id touch..... but even then id's best wolfenstien game was Wolfenstien 3D and that blows it's load after a few early levels with robot hitler.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm interested, but the last Wolfensteins haven't been great, it's a single player only FPS and it's not coming from a solid gold developer (or a developer with any track record) so there's a decent chance it's going to be mediocre. I hope it's great, but there's no particular evidence that it will be. Lots of bad games have great trailers. The quality won't be known until reviews start dropping.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

To be fair, Wolfenstein hasn't held up that well over the years. Wolfenstein 3D might have been fun back in its day but it takes some real appreciation to enjoy it these days. Return to Castle Wolfenstein is all right, I guess, but it's still kinda weird in spots. That 2009 Wolfenstein game has a lot of awesome ideas but it doesn't use them very well and it gets real boring, real fast.

I was excited for this new one when they first started talking about it, but back then it seemed like most people were "eh". These days, it seems like people have actually warmed up to it a lot.

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know nothing about it. Haven't seen any videos, or read anything about it. But I have it pre ordered. Only on the basis that I've played every Wolfenstein game to this point. So why not. Here is to hoping its good.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm want to be excited, but at heart this seems an unflinching FPS. Unless there are other elements and mechanics, it is hard for me to get over enthusiastic about a hetro-sexual white angry middle-age male with a gun. True, he is brutally killing the Master race.. and fact is also I may identify with him. But Duke Nukem is pretty much the same thing, and I didn't even peel the wrapper for that game.

O course, I may get very excited if I discover it is a well done FPS. That is what will get me back on the excitment train.

GunstarRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#18  Edited By GunstarRed

I'm not really excited for it, but it's definitely on my radar. If I was likely to get an action game this month I'd probably get it over Watch Dogs. I loved Return to Castle Wolfenstein years back and I like the amount of Gibs in the trailers. I really dunno how I feel about it at the moment. I might just wait and see what reviews say.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#19 fisk0  Moderator

@crithon: Well, id haven't really made any Wolfenstein games since Wolfenstein 3D. They "oversaw the development" of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, which was otherwise developed by Gray Matter Interactive (now Treyarch) and Nerve Studios, while the 2009 Wolfenstein game was developed by Raven.

It's not like id actually created the franchise either, Muse Software created the first two 2D Wolfenstein games, and had no involvement in Wolfenstein 3D.

With all this in mind, I think MachineGames have about as much claim to the name as any previous studios, and as long as Zenimax lets them do their thing (which sadly isn't a given), I think it can turn out really well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6aa5db70cc5
    deactivated-5e6aa5db70cc5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm extremely hyped for this game! We need more single player only first person shooters.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
    deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolfenstein '09 was one of my favorite shooters of last gen so I should be really fucking hyped but I'm just... not. I don't know, I think it looks great and all, but for the life of me I just can't get too excited about it. I'll probably play it when it's $20 and I have an Xbox One/PS4.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By yukoasho

I'm just stoked that it's releasing without a multi-player mode. Sounds odd, I know, but with everyone and their mother shoe-horning multiplayer into their games whether it works or not, that level of integrity is amazing.

BeardyDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: MachineGames is made up of former Starbreeze Studios developers who worked on games such as: The Darkness and The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay & Dark Athena. I don't include Syndicate and Payday 2, because those games began development after the guys who founded MachineGames left.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: yes, but still to this date, when people talk about Wolfenstien, they think of id's version..... and even as an id game it pales in comparison to doom, limited corridors, under whelming weapon sound effects, and like I said before Robot Hitler comes in earlier then expected. It's so beloved but it's still a pretty over rated game.

To be honest, alternative history WW2 stories are what Pulp fiction is all about. But even when those simple stories are just excuse to PUNCH STUFF, those never seem to connect with gamers. Since Return to Castle Wolfenstien everyone seems to complain something about it's over the top designs like the Rob Zombie looking Viking boss.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By tourgen

I'm interested.

But then again I really enjoyed Rage so I guess I'm easy to please in the dude-shooter category. I really liked upgrade them cars and driving the around the wasteland. Fallout with great vehicles like Rage would be pretty sweet.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#26  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@crithon: Huh, I actually think it's superior to Doom in many ways, aside from the limited level geometry. Doom enemies really only have two states, inactive (standing in place playing idle sounds) and tracking the last aggressor (usually the player). Wolfenstein 3D had patrolling guards that would walk along a patrol path and start tracking the player when hearing gun shots from a few rooms away, standing guards that behaved like Doom enemies, and "deaf" guards, who would remain in place even when the player was shooting nearby, in order to set up ambushes. It also had rudimentary locational damage (enemies, or players, getting hit from behind would take more damage than from the front), which let you stealth your way through the game (even though some of the stealth mechanics, such as carrying bodies and disguising yourself with enemy uniforms were disabled in the final build). I also think most of the sampled sound effects are really good in there, the starting gun sounds pretty powerful, and the gatling cannon sounds fucking vicious. The adlib synthesized jingles for when you picked up other items didn't sound great though.

There's no doubt Doom is a visually more stunning game, and allows for much more varied levels, but I think Wolfenstein 3D is mechanically much more impressive.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By ShaggE

I'm super excited for this. Wolfenstein is always a fun time.

Genfuyung

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The last one was a huge letdown.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#29  Edited By monkeyking1969

To be honest the name, Wolfenstein, has not elicited unbridled excitement since 1992. The last game was from 2009 was mediocre and even then people questioned its relevance or 'good taste' in modern gaming. The upcoming game seems interesting, but most early hints (on at least two podcasts I listen to) peg it as 'uninspired' with a 'convoluted tone'.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By SomberOwl

It's the first game from MachineGames. So there's that.

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

I can't speak for everyone else but I'm incredibly excited to get it next week. Shooters like this are so few and far between these days, plus I love alternate WWII fiction. I think the game looks fucking awesome.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

It's a first person-shooter where you kill Nazis. Points for originality! Yes, Wolfenstein did it first but then Halo riffed on Aliens' Space Marines first and that felt old and cliched by Halo 2.

extintor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 23

I think that some of the hopefulness for this game is a reflection of the limited ambition shown by many of the titles that have been released to new consoles thus far. Wolfenstein promises a possibility of an interesting single player FPS, which we didn't really get from COD or Battlefield and Titanfall was really only a multiplayer thing. I'm certainly keeping track of this release but will be reading a lot of reviews and watching the quick look before I part with any money for it.

jkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I'm excited to see what's up with it. I really enjoyed the last Wolfenstein game, but that was developed by....Raven, right? Fuck, I miss Raven.

But yeah I'm at least interested. It'll be cool to see if Machine Games's pedigree is evident, at the least, because if so then that'll be another studio to follow for me. And if we get a good game out of it too, then awesome.

But seriously you guys, poor Raven.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jkz: Oh man! Raven! They had some great games under their belt didn't they? Like really great games, Jedi Knight II? That was amazing, ahhh those guys were great.

Anyways, this game looks pretty cool, I love the alternate reality ads they've been putting out, whoever is behind their marketing is doing some cool stuff.
    And it's been a while since a game has had an enemy I could just feel great mowing down! They're Nazi's! You can't shot just one.

crithon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: hehe, Wolfenstien 3d was one of those games I upgraded a to a 386 PC for. Yes, your right, it's a good game by it's own designs. I played a lot of it, but even still if you had told me which one to choose between it'd be Doom instead.

But I do feel this game is such a divisive opinion by almost all fans with their expectations of what "a real Wolfenstien game is".

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

Because it's Wolfenstein.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Because: "Wait, there's a new Wolfenstein."

AltonBrown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Drakengard 3, mostly.

axlvandamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's because the last one was garbage.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

It seems like it is leaning hard on its Single Player and that is what I want so if it can pull it off count me in.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Corevi

Going toe to toe with Watch Dogs probably isn't helping. Transistor is also coming out on the same day which is way more exciting for me personally.

frymillstrum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the graphics, especially the gore, looks great.

MasterpinE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm certainly excited. I really enjoyed the last Wolfenstein, i loved how a lot of those levels really opened up into sprawling arenas. I was also a fan of how the combat felt in Rage, so if there's a bit of common lineage there using id tech it should result in a good old time. End of the day, i just like shooting occult hyper-ss nazis, i'm a simple man.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It seems like it is leaning hard on its Single Player and that is what I want so if it can pull it off count me in.

Well I would hope so its a Single Player only game after all

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree I haven't heard a lot of of stuff on this, but I can guarantee, I'm excited for it.

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The issue is that there is fatigue across the whole genre of "FPS/war setting" single player games.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

@blu3v3nom07 said:

I saw that the guitarist from Meshuggah is doing some of the music. I'm still excited.

Thanks for making me more hype. Fredrik is an awesome guitarist.

SniperXan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By SniperXan

Wolfenstein 2009 happened. Will cause anyone to be cautious about a new Wolf game.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can you be any more antagonistic?

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.