Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox 360

Platform »

The Xbox 360 is the second game console produced by Microsoft Corporation and is the successor to the original Xbox.

Microsoft To "Break The Bank" At Next E3

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By get2sammyb

From Eurogamer:

Microsoft Game Studios boss Phil Spencer may "break the bank" at E3 next year by talking about Xbox 360 titles further than five or six months away.

"I came out of an E3 planning meeting just about an hour ago and we were looking at some of the plans for the future and things that we might want to tease," Spencer told Larry "Major Nelson" Hryb in a podcast.

"[It's] very exciting, because there's a lot of stuff on the docket and maybe we'll break the bank a little bit and talk about things that are further out, which will hopefully get the community excited."

Spencer said there had been "some pressure" to do so, but was careful not to spoil any of the surprises.

Microsoft delivered one of the strongest platform holder conferences at E3 this year, thanks to the New Xbox Experience and the unforeseen Final Fantasy XIII for Xbox 360 announcement.

The company has so far been secretive about plans for 2009, however, although Halo Wars and Halo 3: ODST are already talking points.

Spencer had just been to see the former, and said everything was hunky dory at developer Ensemble, which is to close after Halo Wars ships. Contrary to popular belief, the real-time strategy game will apparently feature a lot of storytelling and video cut-scenes; good for those "into the Halo fiction", said Spencer.

He also looked back at the catalogue of first-party Xbox 360 success stories, which recently include Fable II and Gears of War 2. The latter, he said, is "pushing 3 million" sales. Not bad for a series that didn't exist until this generation.

I'm not entirely sure of the correllation between the literal meaning of "breaking the bank" and showing games that are a long way off but perhaps it's just a figure of speech?

Either that or Sony's proposed '09 lineup has them cautiously concerned. OR they could just have some really cool stuff planned that's still a good way off but they want to generate hype for.

Either way I've no doubt this should get 360 fans excited.
    Otacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Otacon

If this is the case Nintendo and Sony will both follow suit, looks like we are on for another fight for spectacle this year.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EvilTwin

I was listening to the podcast and this bit interested me as well.  I think it definitely has something to do with Sony's lineup and the way they announce games.  The perception by a lot of people on the internet is that all of these awesome sounding games that Sony talks about are coming out within a year, whereas the more news savvy of us realize that stuff like God of War III, GT V, and MAG might not even be coming out until 2010.

Microsoft tends to play their cards a little closer to their chest, trying to focus on things they want to release within the year (best example, NXE vs. Home).  So you see all of these threads on the internet with stuff like "does MS even have any exclusives in 2009 other than Halo Wars and Halo 3:  ODST?"  I think Microsoft definitely wants to combat that by getting people excited about stuff that's maybe a little farther off.

Edit:  Oh, and for anyone that is interested; during one of Major Nelson's interviews, they sort of, almost, kind of teased a new Crackdown. 

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#4  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

I think that's a solid plan.  I like getting excited for games out in the long term, not just the immediate future.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By brukaoru

I don't see a problem with that. Sony and Nintendo have both done that before, i'm sure Microsoft has to. Doesn't seem unusual at all.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

How exactly do you break microsoft's bank?

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By brukaoru
    MattyFTM said:
    "How exactly do you break microsoft's bank?"
    Go to Bill Gate's house and smash all the piggy banks?
    citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#8  Edited By citizenkane

This is good hear.  Talking only about games releasing within the next 6 months gets boring after a while.  I want to see some long term plans for the companies and their consoles and games.

citizenkane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 106

#9  Edited By citizenkane
    MattyFTM said:
    By filing anti-trust suits against them.  ;)
    kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10  Edited By kush

I would love to see some big news for Alan Wake...and what would be awesome: Announcing Persona 5 as an exclusive for the 360! :P

Will1Lucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Will1Lucky
    brukaoru said:
    "MattyFTM said:
    Go to Bill Gate's house and smash all the piggy banks?"

Seeing how he now works something like 1 day a week now I dont think that will have that much effect on them.

Besides 360 successor for November 09 launch you heard it here first :D.
    Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Out_On_Bail

You heard it hear first: Diablo 3 on console.

Just hopeful thinking more likely, but still -- you heard it here first, and probably last for that matter ;)

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By oraknabo
    EvilTwin said:
    "for anyone that is interested; during one of Major Nelson's interviews, they sort of, almost, kind of teased a new Crackdown. "
    I remember months ago Game Informer had a short piece about how Crackdown 2 was already in production. I can't remember the details, but I think there were new developers involved.
    get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By get2sammyb
    Will1Lucky said:
    "brukaoru said:
    "MattyFTM said:
    Go to Bill Gate's house and smash all the piggy banks?"

Seeing how he now works something like 1 day a week now I dont think that will have that much effect on them.

Besides 360 successor for November 09 launch you heard it here first :D."
    No chance. They won't announce a 360 successor next year in my opinion - I think we'll first hear about that in '10.

EDIT: Just thought. Killer Instinct?
    cjmhockey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cjmhockey

Don't get what exactly "Break the Bank" means but this news sounds good either way without that statement, I'm really interested in seeing what MS has to offer for 2009 and beyond.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By get2sammyb
    cjmhockey said:
    "Don't get what exactly "Break the Bank" means but this news sounds good either way without that statement, I'm really interested in seeing what MS has to offer for 2009 and beyond."
    After mulling over it I think what it means is they're going to go "all guns blazing" to replace a phrase for another phrase.

Seeing as Microsoft have never adopted the Sony "promise the future" mentality would it be so wrong to assume they don't have that much in the '09 pipeline yet?

I'm still calling Killer Instinct.
    SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

Well, you have to remember, there are many rumored titles for the 360:
    THere's supposely a Forza 3 and PGR in development over at turn 10, there's obviously a new killer instinct, Bungie has 2 projects they haven't announced (although I doubt they'd show it), Lionhead has a project that's suppose to come up in a bit, the rumor about MGS4 360, Cry On, Versus is kind of likely, whatever else mistwalker is working on, and then any other suprises. 

Or by breaking the bank they might simply mean they're buying every single exclusive game from the ps3, lol.

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    Otacon said:
    "If this is the case Nintendo and Sony will both follow suit, looks like we are on for another fight for spectacle this year."
    Sony - Dunno.
    Nintendo - Definitely gonna be a new Zelda if they wanna compete. Hell, there will be little competition if they did that.
    daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By daniel_beck_90
    Kush said:
    "I would love to see some big news for Alan Wake...and what would be awesome: Announcing Persona 5 as an exclusive for the 360! :P"
    Oh man, I am with You , Alan wake is taking like forever
    Unreal_dro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Unreal_dro

Alan Wake

Forza3
    Bungie's new IP
    Rares new Game
    Announce Itagaki's next project
    Lion Head's Next project
    Crackdown2 ?
    Mass effect 2
    Dead or ALive 5
    Mistwalkers next game

theres so many things they could announce.
    TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By TwoOneFive

hopefully they've gotten some awesome stuff planned because theirs nothing interesting for me on their lineup right now. halo wars doesn't interest me one bit, but the halo odst will be awesome but its just an expansion pack ya kno. i hope they come up with something exciting though. 

but the truth is, sony is going to show up to E3 this year with a lot more announcements for games then last year, a lot of games are ready to be shown off now that have been in the works for a while now, many which haven't even been announced yet like Team Ico's new game. So untill we actually see any real details, i'm not getting my hopes up. 
    Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By Dalai

I guess Microsoft should fare better than last E3 with their iffy casual-oriented lineup and big titles that were already announced prior to E3... Final Fantasy XIII to the 360 was the only huge jaw-dropper from MS.

Sony at least had some decent stuff this year including MAG, but Sony always announces their stuff too early... Killzone 2, anyone?

Nintendo... they can't do any worse than Wii Music and Ravi Drums, the massive damage moment of 2008.  I sense an actual Zelda announcement plus Pikmin 3 and something out of nowhere... like the Punch-Out!! and Sin & Punsihment 2 announcements a few months ago.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

thats too bad, I all ways liked the fact that Microsoft didn't talk about games 4-6 years away like other companies.

KingBroly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

#24  Edited By KingBroly

It doesn't matter what Microsoft does, it won't help them beat Nintendo.

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kazona

As long as it's not my bank they're breaking I'm happy

DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By DARKIDO07
    KingBroly said:
    "It doesn't matter what Microsoft does, it won't help them beat Nintendo."
    The only reason Nintendo is doing so well is becuase it has far more appeal to kids under the age of 13 than Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 where there is like 1 E rated game for every 10 Mature rated ones. Wii is doing amazing is Hardware sales, but its software sales are no where to be found compared to Xbox 360's software sales.
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    DARKIDO07 said:
    "KingBroly said:
    The only reason Nintendo is doing so well is becuase it has far more appeal to kids under the age of 13 than Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 where there is like 1 E rated game for every 10 Mature rated ones. Wii is doing amazing is Hardware sales, but its software sales are no where to be found compared to Xbox 360's software sales."
    The latest NPD numbers showed that 5 of the top 10 games sold were for the Wii in November.
    DARKIDO07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By DARKIDO07
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "DARKIDO07 said:
    "KingBroly said:
    The only reason Nintendo is doing so well is becuase it has far more appeal to kids under the age of 13 than Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 where there is like 1 E rated game for every 10 Mature rated ones. Wii is doing amazing is Hardware sales, but its software sales are no where to be found compared to Xbox 360's software sales."
    The latest NPD numbers showed that 5 of the top 10 games sold were for the Wii in November."
    Wii Play, WiiMusic, and WiiFit, yep those are some great games if you could call them that.... But Mario Kart did do well (which it should) and so did World Tour (as it should have).

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    DARKIDO07 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "DARKIDO07 said:
    "KingBroly said:
    The latest NPD numbers showed that 5 of the top 10 games sold were for the Wii in November."
    Wii Play, WiiMusic, and WiiFit, yep those are some great games if you could call them that.... But Mario Kart did do well (which it should) and so did World Tour (as it should have).
     "
    Ah, I get it. You're one of those "OMG WII IS TEH NO GAEM CUNSELL!"
    Save the psuedo-traditionalism and just shove it up your ass.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#30  Edited By jakob187

Probably show:

Alan Wake in-game
    MGS4
    Crackdown 2
    Forza 3
    Killer Instinct 3

That's what I would expect out of that show.  Quote me on it.  *wink*
    Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
    deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Arkthemaniac said:
    "DARKIDO07 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "DARKIDO07 said:
    "KingBroly said:
     "
    Ah, I get it. You're one of those "OMG WII IS TEH NO GAEM CUNSELL!"
    Save the psuedo-traditionalism and just shove it up your ass.
    "
    Dude, it doesn't have blood, guns, boob physics, or generic Caucasian, short haired space marine.
    People spouting shit like "THE WII IS NOT A REAL GAME CONSOLE!" make anything else they say moot.
    I've been a "hardcore gamer" for nigh on 20 years. And though I've been terribly disappointed with new releases this year, the fun I've had with my Wii more than justifies it's existence. These people need to realize that you can play games that have been released before.
    niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By niall077

I predict a boring show where they so lame ass game afer them ass game.....

.... THEM at the end Kojima walks out annouces MGS4 for 360 for november 09 in that funny broken english way he does

360 fanboys predict they won the system war, the mgs4 was they only reson to buy a ps3, that the ps3 has no good games ETC....

ps3 fanboys wonder why the 360 fanboys think the won the system war for getting a port of a then 1 year old game when the ps3 has been getting one year old ports for ages (ZING)

and Wii fanboys  sniff paint or what ever they do.

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Bulldog19892

They can't break the bank! Do they have any idea what that will do to the economy!?

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Gizmo

I want Alan Wake before the end of 2009.

I want it to be really, really good, judging by how long it's been in development for, it should be incredible.
    ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ManlyBeast

Hell yeah.

bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By bwooduhs
    DARKIDO07 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "DARKIDO07 said:
    "KingBroly said:
     "
    Thats the first time i've seen WiiMusic reffered to as a great game.
    Gunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gunner
    jakob187 said:
    "Probably show:
    Alan Wake in-game"
    Im thinking that they are having a hard time getting stable framerates with that game on the 360. If they do show in game footage of alan wake itll be on a beastly 2000 dollar PC.
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By BigBoss1911

If they dont announce perfect dark 2 sometime next year I think im giving up on rare.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By jakob187
    BigBoss1911 said:
    "If they dont announce perfect dark 2 sometime next year I think im giving up on rare."
    Why?  Perfect Dark Zero was mediocre at launch and now it's complete ass.  Meanwhile, Viva Pinata, VP: Trouble in Paradise, and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts have all been fantastically engrossing games for any age?  My God...what IS this world coming to when people are denying amazing games just because they don't have a fucking gun in them?
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "BigBoss1911 said:
    "If they dont announce perfect dark 2 sometime next year I think im giving up on rare."
    Why?  Perfect Dark Zero was mediocre at launch and now it's complete ass.  Meanwhile, Viva Pinata, VP: Trouble in Paradise, and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts have all been fantastically engrossing games for any age?  My God...what IS this world coming to when people are denying amazing games just because they don't have a fucking gun in them?"
    You can't say these things with that avatar.
    jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jakob187
    Arkthemaniac said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "BigBoss1911 said:
    Why?  Perfect Dark Zero was mediocre at launch and now it's complete ass.  Meanwhile, Viva Pinata, VP: Trouble in Paradise, and Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts have all been fantastically engrossing games for any age?  My God...what IS this world coming to when people are denying amazing games just because they don't have a fucking gun in them?"
    You can't say these things with that avatar."
    ....yes, I can?  I love Viva Pinata AND Banjo-Kazooie.  I can easily say that not all games with guns are amazing...and 50 Cent has proven that.  I can also say that I won't deny a game strictly because it doesn't have guns and isn't a shooter.  =  /
    Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Arkthemaniac
    jakob187 said:
    "Arkthemaniac said:
    "jakob187 said:
    "BigBoss1911 said:
    You can't say these things with that avatar."
    ....yes, I can?  I love Viva Pinata AND Banjo-Kazooie.  I can easily say that not all games with guns are amazing...and 50 Cent has proven that.  I can also say that I won't deny a game strictly because it doesn't have guns and isn't a shooter.  =  /
    "
    No, you can't. Sorry. Not with that gun in my face.
    BigBoss1911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By BigBoss1911
    jakob187 said:
    "BigBoss1911 said:
    Thats not what I mean.I love platformers but nothing beats a fun FPS like the original perfect dark.Yes PDZ wasent that great but Rare can still make a better Perfect Dark.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.