Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox Live

Concept »

Xbox Live is Microsoft's online gaming service.

Xbox Live V.I.P. Membership?

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By JJOR64
    http://www.hiphopgamershow.com/?p=7360

Found this article via N4G.  Looks interesting, I guess we will find out more info in the future.  What do you guys think?

EDIT:  Here is the text from the article:

"Xbox 360 continues not to disappoint their fans

After seeing the latest numbers from the NPD, it’s safe to say the Xbox 360 is a beast! As for the Xbox Live, just when people thought Microsoft couldn’t do anymore with this incredible feature, they’re about to show and prove once again, when they introduce “V.I.P. Membership”.

But Xbox Live is already spectacular, what else can they do?

According too a customers survey done in France, Microsoft is considering a new level of Xbox Live called the VIP service. Now with this upgraded version, users will be able to get online storage for their content, a brand new matchmaking option, a option that allows the user too send free invitations to silver members, and better connectivity. It’s no denying that Xbox Live’s gold members are reaping the awards that Microsoft has provided them and with this optional addition it can’t do anything but expand on this already great feature.

Is this new feature worth it?

Xbox Live members should give the “V.I.P. Membership” a warm welcome, the upgrade will allow for better connectivity for online gaming, online storage, etc. Only time will tell if users will adapt to this upcoming addition, hopefully we hear some more news about V.I.P. at E3."

EDIT 2:  Now X360A even has an article about it.

EDIT 3:  AnalogHype has an article debunking the rumor.  It's worth checking out.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By EvilTwin

Wow, that article sounds like marketing BS from an MS representative.  Regardless, I was hoping they'd do something like this a long time ago.  Except, you know, give the non-paying connected people "gold" status and make other people pay for some stupid special features.  Hopefully this doesn't mean there are going to be three tiers of XBL. 

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By Diamond

Doesn't sound legit, but it'll suck if true.

Verdugo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Verdugo

Not interested.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#5  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw

If this is true, then I'm calling shenanigans for those of us who already pay a hefty price for Gold status.  Honestly, the added features should be something we receive in an upgrade - not something extra.

TobyD81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 29

#6  Edited By TobyD81

Would this be another paid tier on top of gold and silver? Eh, I just bought a 120 gig drive, I figure I'm good on storage for a while. I've even been doing full installs of games, just because I can.
    Instead of this, I'd rather see the tier structure go away. Usual arguments apply: online play should be a given, demos are advertising and should not be witheld to Gold members and pre-orderers, and if more people can access Netflix then more people will buy Netflix.

StarwindX9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By StarwindX9

Awesome! Now I can pay more for a feature that should befree!

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

your first mistake was using n4g.com
    N4g.com=scum of the gaming internet.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By RHCPfan24

Wow, that article seems totally unbiased!

Saerg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Saerg

N4G is terribly unreliable... so is hiphopgamershow.

Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11  Edited By Karmum

Sounds and is stupid, separate from Xbox Live Gold? Great, something that costs even more.

VWGTI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By VWGTI

If true, EPIC FACE PALM!

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By BiggerBomb

Unnecessary.

Giantsquirrel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Giantsquirrel

That's total bullshit. Sooner or later they'll lock out Silver members from even logging in.

Who wants to bet Achievement Points will be VIP exclusive? That'll get people to drop $100 a year.

CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By CL60
    Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    "If this is true, then I'm calling shenanigans for those of us who already pay a hefty price for Gold status.  Honestly, the added features should be something we receive in an upgrade - not something extra."
    Hefty price? LAWLZ!
    PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By PureRok

This must be bullshit, especially considering the horrible spelling and misuse of words in that article.

EvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By EvilTwin

Honestly, the more I think about it, this has to be their way of making XBL free.  I mean, they have to do it eventually because of how PSN has finally start to hit its stride and almost(?) reached feature parity with XBL.  However, they still want a source of revenue from XBL (other than ads) if at all possible.  As well as the fact that people have already paid a year+ in advance for XBL gold and they certainly don't want to refund that.  Of course, assuming any of this is true. 

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Demyx

If this is true, then I will expect Microsoft to get rid of silver membership and make gold membership free. If its 3 different memberships...

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#19  Edited By jakob187
    Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    "If this is true, then I'm calling shenanigans for those of us who already pay a hefty price for Gold status.  Honestly, the added features should be something we receive in an upgrade - not something extra."
    God, you're right.  $50 a YEAR is SUCH a hefty price.  MS should stop raping us like the cable internet providers we use.

-_-
    Crusading_Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#20  Edited By Crusading_Poet

My personal opinion but 50 dollars a year is not that much.  Compared to $20 a month for netflix, and the fact that most gamers spend ten times that on games themselves.  Though I do think it should be free to play online.  They are denying us access to the full content of the games we have purchased for their products.  And something has to be free with PSN being free and catching up to XBL capabilities.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By dsplayer1010

I don't see this happening.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By JoelTGM

If that's true... well, no way I'm paying for that.  I'm glad playstation network is free.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#23  Edited By sparky_buzzsaw
    jakob187 said:
     God, you're right.  $50 a YEAR is SUCH a hefty price.  MS should stop raping us like the cable internet providers we use.

-_-
    "

$50 is still $50, and given that I don't exactly make a whole pile of money after taxes and living expenses, it's a lot of money to me.  Don't get me wrong - I genuinely like Microsoft's Live services.  I'm just not entirely convinced another tier of Live is really the route to go to attract more customers.  More revenue, sure - none of the features listed seem to be mandatory to enjoying any of the future games out there (unless something requires a huge amount of storage space that I'm not anticipating).  But if, and I stress the if because the article hasn't been duplicated here or any other game site I respect,  I imagine it would turn off some prospective or current customers who thought they'd be getting the full experience with a Gold membership.
    mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#24  Edited By mike
    "According too a customers survey done in France, Microsoft is considering a new level of Xbox Live called the VIP service."

What does that even mean?
    iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By iamjohn
    Diamond said:
    "Doesn't sound legit"
    For one, coming from N4G is an immediate red flag.  For two, press releases like this usually don't have obvious typos.  For three, the whole thing sounds like bullshit.  Therefore, see the above quote.

StarwindX9 said:
    "Awesome! Now I can pay more for a feature that should befree!"
    Hurr feeling of entitlement hurr.
    steelharrison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By steelharrison

sounds stupid

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JJOR64

I would only pay for this is they dropped the price of gold to like $30 a year and make this V.I.P. stuff $50 a year.

Captain_Fookup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Captain_Fookup
    JJOR64 said:
    "I would only pay for this is they dropped the price of gold to like $30 a year and make this V.I.P. stuff $50 a year."
    Not going to happen.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By JJOR64
    Captain_Fookup said:
    "JJOR64 said:
    "I would only pay for this is they dropped the price of gold to like $30 a year and make this V.I.P. stuff $50 a year."
    Not going to happen."
    Probably not.
    LaszloKovacs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30  Edited By LaszloKovacs
    MB said:
    ""According too a customers survey done in France, Microsoft is considering a new level of Xbox Live called the VIP service."
    What does that even mean? "
    It means that some French dudes who have no affiliation with Microsoft think that there will be a new tier of Live service.
    Obviously.
    Snuffy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Snuffy
    MB said:
    ""According too a customers survey done in France, Microsoft is considering a new level of Xbox Live called the VIP service."What does that even mean? "

Yeah.. This doesn't seem to make much sense.. Apparently we're going to get a new tier of XBL!  If the Frenchies say it'll happen, it must be true!
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By JJOR64

I found another article disproving the HipHop one.  I edited it into the first post.

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By crunchUK
    EvilTwin said:
    "Honestly, the more I think about it, this has to be their way of making XBL free.  I mean, they have to do it eventually because of how PSN has finally start to hit its stride and almost(?) reached feature parity with XBL.  However, they still want a source of revenue from XBL (other than ads) if at all possible.  As well as the fact that people have already paid a year+ in advance for XBL gold and they certainly don't want to refund that.  Of course, assuming any of this is true.  "
    Actually didn't they hit 17 million subscribers in january? Xobx live gold isn't becoming free in any hurry at all. Especially with those fat billions of profit.
    JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By JJOR64
    crunchUK said:
    "EvilTwin said:
    "Honestly, the more I think about it, this has to be their way of making XBL free.  I mean, they have to do it eventually because of how PSN has finally start to hit its stride and almost(?) reached feature parity with XBL.  However, they still want a source of revenue from XBL (other than ads) if at all possible.  As well as the fact that people have already paid a year+ in advance for XBL gold and they certainly don't want to refund that.  Of course, assuming any of this is true.  "
    Actually didn't they hit 17 million subscribers in january? Xobx live gold isn't becoming free in any hurry at all. Especially with those fat billions of profit."
    Something like that.
    ManlyBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ManlyBeast
    Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    "If this is true, then I'm calling shenanigans for those of us who already pay a hefty price for Gold status.

hefty price ? How?  If you're that poor then gaming isn't for you man.
    CL60

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By CL60
    ManlyBeast said:
    "Sparky_Buzzsaw said:
    "If this is true, then I'm calling shenanigans for those of us who already pay a hefty price for Gold status.
    hefty price ? How?  If you're that poor then gaming isn't for you man. "
    50 dollars a year is the most expensive thing I have to pay man!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.