Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

Xbox One

Platform »

The Xbox One is Microsoft's third video game console. It was released on November 22nd 2013 in 13 countries.

Bought an Xbox One, Need game suggestions.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Devil240Z

Okay so first off I know its probably a bad time to get a console now because of all the PS4.5/Xbox One.1 stuff going on but I don't care.

I know I'm getting forza 6 for sure. But I don't know what else to look at. I want to get a game or two for me and my GF cause she wanted the Xbox too. I actually wasn't even gonna get one until she started saying she wanted one. I asked her what games she would want for it and she said that she remembers playing Gears of War back in the day so I might get that gears collection so we can play through them split screen. Otherwise she is into games like Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Persona 4, Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright, Cook Serve Delicious. For me I guess I'm looking for some kind of RPG(Turn based or action) but I'm open to anything. I would also like to hear about any good couch coop games.

I have a PS4 so no multi plats(its okay if its on PC). Though damn its not like either console has that many exclusives.

Thanks to anyone who helps out!

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Sunset Overdrive is probably the hottest exclusive for the XBONE. You can also check out Rise of the Tomb Raider which won't hit PS4 until end of the year.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

From what you mentioned that she enjoys it sounds like most of that stuff can be better found on the PS Plus side of the fence. As far as XB1 exclusives I don't think there are that many to choose from really. Halo 5: Guardians, Gears of War 4, Dead Rising 3, Sunset Overdrive and most recently Quantum Break are the big XB1 titles, none of which really seem to fit into the "RPG" part - Sunset Overdrive being probably the closest with a robust upgrade tree? I'm not sure how open your significant other is to playing Halo splitscreen but there is that. If you want to take a trip down memory lane then maybe get the Rare Replay collection which is a great value if nothing else.

You've got Scalebound coming up.. sometime.. in the future which is looking like a rather neat RPG/action hybrid with a good pedigree behind it. I'm not sure if Phantom Dust has been officially scrapped or not but that looked interesting. There are also a lot of 360 backwards compatible titles you can simply take off the shelf and play on your modern console although that seems to be defeating the whole point.

At this point in time it's really a waiting game for more stuff to come out down the line.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Thats pretty much what I figured. I didn't know if any good stuff flew in under the radar that I missed.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@devil240z: I think Below is finally coming out this year and that is kind of close to an RPG. Although to be honest I feel like Below has been "coming out" for ages and I still somehow don't really know what it even is. I can only assume it's something similar to Hyper Light Drifter from everything I've seen - if you haven't and you're into that sort of thing I highly recommend trying out Hyper Light Drifter on PC it's an excellent action-RPG-Zelda-Soulsy type of game.

Buarpo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sunset overdrive is free with Gold this month. Otherwise, I really enjoyed Dead Rising 3 which should be fairly cheap nowadays. On the downloadable side of things id look at Ori and the Blind Forest, Lover's in a Dangerous Space Time (couch co-op), and IDARB.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Persona 4, Professor Layton, Phoenix Wright

Just throwing this out there, you're not gonna find much of those sort on the XBO, if at all. All the stuff like that is coming out of Japan, and the XBO sold like garbage in Japan so it's mostly PS4 exclusive/multiplatform. Scalebound is probably the big thing you should keep an eye out for in regards to games like that, although I think that just got delayed out of 2016.

Also gonna join the others in recommending Sunset Overdrive, because that is a very good game (after you get some upgrades/weapons a few hours in anyway). Ori and the Blind Forest is also pretty good, and they just released an updated version. D4 is a Swery game that is pretty amazing, but it's an "episodic" game that cuts off after just 2 episodes with no signs of it ever being picked up again.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Sunset Overdrive (free this month with games with gold)

Dead Rising 3

Forza Horizon 2 (great game)

Halo Master Chief Collection (good access to all the games)

Rare Replay

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

#9  Edited By isomeri

Like a few others already mentioned, Sunset Overdrive is free on Xbox Live at the moment so definitely download and play that. It's still one of my favorite Xbox One exclusives. Pretty much all the games I'd have suggested have been mentioned already. I'd re-recommend Forza Horizon 2, The Master Chief Collection and Halo 5. Also, if you've somehow missed Ori and the Blind Forest on the PC, well you shouldn't have. It was my favorite game to come out last year.

dazzhardy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I had no interest in Sunset Overdrive until I saw it was on Games with Gold, and having now played (and subsequently bought) Sunset Overdrive, I'd recommend that. If you've got Xbox Live gold it's free at the minute, so I'd at least say download it and try it. I'd also suggest Rare Replay, purely based on the value of it alone, especially if you didn't have the Xbox 360 games and Downloadable games that are in it. Also, Killer Instinct is Free to Play, and while that might mean you only get access to a single character, it's worth trying, and has a pretty nice tutorial to introduce you to it's systems.

notnert427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Forza 6 is a good choice, and Horizon 2 is an absolute must. Rise of the Tomb Raider is great (and damn pretty). The MCC is about as good as it gets in terms of content for your dollar. Sunset Overdrive and Ori and the Blind Forest are highly regarded as well. Titanfall is the most underrated game this gen. Rare Replay sounds like it might be up your girlfriend's alley. That's a pretty good start. Also, don't forget about the backwards compatible games. All the Gears of War games are on there. Monaco: What's Yours is Mine is a good couch co-op game if you didn't play that last-gen.

Kudos for jumping in. The Xbox One is great. Welcome to the party.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teddie: yeah, if I got a Wii u and they release an animal crossing game on it, I would probably not get to use the TV for a while. . but I think Nintendo is the biggest wait and see platform out of them all.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Forza Horizon 2 is the best game i've played in years, graphics aren't up to current standards since it was a split gen game but it's still fun as hell.

Aslo Sunset Overdrive is awesome, kinda feels like a Tony Hawk game with the traversal and it's just really silly and fun. Free right now too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b
    deactivated-5a98cbe47ca3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I liked Sunset Overdrive so much that I bothered to review it! It's probably the best last great console exclusive and its legit super fun. Plus it's free right now so get you some.

If you're into Halo those games are still good too. I'm one of those heathens that actually likes the 343 era games more than the original soooo...

Those Tome Raider games are also legit. Haven't played the sequel just yet but "The" Tomb Raider was very enjoyable.

mozzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Ori and the Blind Forest

Oxenfree

Sunset Overdrive

DinosaurCanada

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dig Dug just came out son

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Swery's D4 is also on XONE. I don't know if that was the whole thing or what it was. I got it free on Games with Gold but I've never played it. Sherlock Holmes is also on there, was free last month. Cross gen game so it plays like garbage but it's a good detective game.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Devil240Z

@captain_insano said:

Swery's D4 is also on XONE. I don't know if that was the whole thing or what it was. I got it free on Games with Gold but I've never played it. Sherlock Holmes is also on there, was free last month. Cross gen game so it plays like garbage but it's a good detective game.

Very interested in D4. I actually played sherlock on PS3 and fuck that game ran like shit but it was a fun time.

You know I thought that since I haven't been following X1 that closely that a good number of games would have slipped me by. Like ive been sitting here the last couple years going, dang sony is fucking up and xbox is killing it, I need an xbox. But I guess neither platform has much going on game wise...

Also I thought there was a Gears collection that had all of those games but I guess thats not a thing...

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_insano said:

Very interested in D4. I actually played sherlock on PS3 and fuck that game ran like shit but it was a fun time.

You know I thought that since I haven't been following X1 that closely that a good number of games would have slipped me by. Like ive been sitting here the last couple years going, dang sony is fucking up and xbox is killing it, I need an xbox. But I guess neither platform has much going on game wise...

Also I thought there was a Gears collection that had all of those games but I guess thats not a thing...

Gears Ultimate Edition allowed you to download the Xbox 360 games in the series for free (via back compat) if you played it before a certain time, but I think that's no longer operative.

I would agree that Xbox One does not have a lot of exclusives this generation. There are definitely some good ones, Forza Horizon 2 and Sunset Overdrive are probably my favorite games of the entire gen, but even compared to PS4 (which at least a ton of exclusives coming out of Japan) the cupboard is pretty bare 'sclusie wise.

I assume you didn't get Kinect so Fantasia and Dance Central Spotlight are out.

There are some decent smaller games not yet mentioned like Bridge Constructor and Steredenn.

I think Crimson Dragon has an unfairly bad reputation for what is, at least at times, a decently enjoyable game.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay the xbox came in the mail this morning! I got it set up and Forza 6, Sunset Overdrive, and a handful of backwards compatible 360 games I already owned are downloading. So at least I have some stuff to mess with out of the box! I haven't actually bought any games yet though.

Wow the interface is kind of confusing but I guess the 360 was like that too. I'm definitely an XMB fan.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey so quick question. How does the asynchronous friends stuff work? can I just freely follow people like Jeff and whatnot? I'm trying to find people but I don't have any friends currently and not sure what to search for.

aku88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sunset Overdrive

Ori and the Blind Forest

Rare Replay Collection

aku88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hey so quick question. How does the asynchronous friends stuff work? can I just freely follow people like Jeff and whatnot? I'm trying to find people but I don't have any friends currently and not sure what to search for.

Yup if you follow him then you'll get his updates and things but he won't get notifications about you. If you're looking to expand your circle, add me up on xbox live at 'kuhanesh88' !

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aku88 said:
    @devil240z said:

Yup if you follow him then you'll get his updates and things but he won't get notifications about you. If you're looking to expand your circle, add me up on xbox live at 'kuhanesh88' !

How do I find people? I tried searching for peoples Gamer tags but it comes up with a blank result and says that didn't work.

Ill try yours real quick. Nope same thing.

:(

That Didn't work

Sorry, Give it another try.

My Xbone
    majormitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 31

I think most of the exclusives have been covered, but I'll echo the Rare Replay suggestion if you haven't played those games already. Particularly the Viva Pinata games (plus Nuts & Bolts!), which sound like they may be something your girlfriend would really get into.

winsord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

For me I guess I'm looking for some kind of RPG(Turn based or action)

If you like the old style of dungeon-crawler RPGs, Stranger of Sword City came out not too long ago on the Xbox One. There's a demo available, might be worth a look (haven't heard much about it, but I did enjoy the demo).

tds418

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Master Chief Collection could be good for couch co-op if either of you have any interest in the Halo games. As far as RPGs go Fallout 4 is great if you like Bethesda games/don't have it on PC.

Once you get used to it I actually think the interface is way better and snappier than the 360 ever was. Pretty easy to get in and out of anything from the home screen w/o being bombarded by ads.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh also Ive got Rare Replay. But holy hell its been a day and all the games aren't installed yet!

Avatar image for jdizzlefoshizzle
    jdizzlefoshizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kalimba, really fun puzzle platformer game with a neat simplistic art style and a cool seperate coop campaign.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh also Ive got Rare Replay. But holy hell its been a day and all the games aren't installed yet!

Xbox Live has been a bit dodgy this weekend. That may explain your friends list issues if you haven't figured them out already. Generally my download times from XBL are much quicker than from PSN (though PSN has improved.) Neither can touch Steam though.

It is kind of funny how huge Rare Replay is (11.5 gigs if you don't count the 360 games) considering that the majority of the titles being emulated are probably under a meg each, and for the ZX Spectrum games they are likely 128 kilobytes or even less.

Devil240Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Devil240Z

Update: My GF has played a bunch of Banjo and Kazooie as well as Viva Pinata! So thats great!

And I have a question about Sunset Overdrive, Should I keep playing it if I'm not that into jumping and grinding alot?

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Update: My GF has played a bunch of Banjo and Kazooie as well as Viva Pinata! So thats great!

And I have a question about Sunset Overdrive, Should I keep playing it if I'm not that into jumping and grinding alot?

It's the current games with gold game, right? Might as well give it a try.

But I would guess that if you really don't like those mechanics you won't like the game. It has shooting elements but the game it most resembles IMO is Jet Set Radio (though with a lesser, though still decent, soundtrack.) It's a traversal game. Even the boss fights are traversal focused. I think it's really fun, but if you don't like the traversal mechanics you probably won't like the game.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.