Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

What does Will do?

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#1  Edited By audioBusting

I'm not sure if I missed something (I'm still pretty early on) but I don't know what Will does. I want to know if investing on the "Will increase on promotions" upgrade worth it. I'm guessing that it lowers the chance to panic, but is that it?

morningstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By morningstar

It keeps your soldiers from panicking. Maybe it does something for PSI powers later in the game too, havent gotten that far yet.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#3  Edited By Castiel

Ask Norman Chan.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SeanFoster

I assume it also defends against being mind controlled.

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Terramagi

The higher it is, the less likely they are to panic when shit goes tits up.

It also gives a measure of defense against psi powers... which, ultimately, you should view as a bonus when it happens, instead of the first line of defense. It's better to ASSUME mind control is going to hit and plan accordingly, than it is to hope that your meatbags somehow resist it.

tamriilin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By tamriilin

@Terramagi said:

The higher it is, the less likely they are to panic when shit goes tits up.

It also gives a measure of defense against psi powers... which, ultimately, you should view as a bonus when it happens, instead of the first line of defense. It's better to ASSUME mind control is going to hit and plan accordingly, than it is to hope that your meatbags somehow resist it.

Basically, this.

Also, it determines effectiveness of PSI powers once your soldiers get them.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By TruthTellah

@audioBusting: The Will stat determines whether a soldier will panic or not. It increases as someone gets promoted more. Though, a soldier's Will stat can be permanently lowered a notch by receiving critical injuries(aka. needing to be revived). So, in the higher difficulties, you can find yourself later in the game with one or two guys with questionable Will stats, meaning they might freak out on the battlefield. For Normal and below, though, it's usually not an issue. Just, be conscious of a soldiers' Will stat, and as always, try not to get too many critically injured.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

#8  Edited By audioBusting

Thanks for clearing that up, guys. I haven't seen mind control and only a couple of soldiers panicked so far (on Normal) so I'm going to pass the upgrade for now.

SomeDeliCook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By SomeDeliCook

I think I've been lucky when my soldiers panic. So many times I'll shoot a Muton Beserk (or whatever the red melee ones are called) and they'll intimidate the guy, he'll panick, and then take ANOTHER shot at a Muton. I've yet to have a panicked soldier shoot one of my own men.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I've just started dealing with ethereals, and you know what? I ain't even having fun anymore. What's the solution, other than hope my one psi-soldier is around to use the anti-mindfract power? Just bullets and more bullets? I dunno dude.

If there's enemies beyond the muton elites and the sectopods and the ethereals then this game can eat a dick.

bunnymud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By bunnymud

I thought this thread was about Will Smith

wiki wha wha

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Terramagi

@Brodehouse said:

I've just started dealing with ethereals, and you know what? I ain't even having fun anymore. What's the solution, other than hope my one psi-soldier is around to use the anti-mindfract power? Just bullets and more bullets? I dunno dude. If there's enemies beyond the muton elites and the sectopods and the ethereals then this game can eat a dick.

Ethereals are bullshit, this is true. They're also the reason for my "if it misses, great, but it's not going to" stance on psi powers.

Fortunately you only ever fight 1 at a time until the final mission. So you just use explosives on the motherfuckers, because you can't dodge an explosion. They don't even have any guns, so you don't lose anything.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.