Something went wrong. Try again later
    Follow

XCOM: Enemy Unknown

Game » consists of 19 releases. Released Oct 09, 2012

The classic tactical turn-based combat returns in this modern re-imagining of X-COM: UFO Defense.

XCOM PC, graphical bugs?

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By MrOldboy

Has anyone else been experiencing some weird graphical bugs on PC?

Examples include, thin man model cycling from upright to on its side (entire model is horizontal to ground) during its shot animation. Roofs of buildings changing from transparent to solid during animations very rapidly, this occurs even if I have soldiers in the area (i.e. right where enemy is) that should make the roof transparent and the inside of the building is visible. Sometimes it hard to tell also if enemies are being rendered correctly when they move during their turn or if my soldiers just cant see them. The camera follows them as if they are moving, giving me their location, but I cant see the enemy models until the end of their turn.

on the 10/11 patch notes it says Various visibility/hiding optimizations. I've still had the roof issue a few times since then. Is this what they were referring to?

There are a few others, but those are the ones I've run into the most often. The roof one is annoying since I cant see what's going on even though I purposefully put a soldier inside the building at that spot so I can see what the enemy is doing (i.e. its movement during its turn)

One thing that also bothers me, but I think is just part of the game is how soldiers and enemies will do their normal shot animation when there is a wall or other structure in their face. So they just clip through it like nothing happened. Again I dont think this is a bug, but just a limitation on how many animations they made.

Gnorbooth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Gnorbooth

Too many to count really. I literally just had a crash because a Chrysalid got stuck in a cinematic camera angle and the game just broke. Had another straight "crash" when the camera got stuck in the top layer of a UFO and I completely lost control of the game and had to reset X-Com. The layers though, are just straight messed up in a lot of situations/levels. Not really related to the graphics or anything, and honestly it could be working as intended, but I really hate when units around the map that you haven't discovered yet just cruise into your sight radius, then the game goes "OMG YOU JUST DISCOVERED MORE DUDES" and then the enemy gets yet another movement turn. If that is working as intended, then I'll just keep being :(

It's a great game. But some of the bugs and little inconsistencies definitely hamper the overall experience, mainly just cause they are so damn apparent.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By crusader8463

Sadly this game needs a ton of bug fixing. I shudder every time I get a mission that involves going into an alien ship because of the annoying roof glitch where every time you move around it zooms out to the roof instead of the level you are on and telling your guys wher to go inside the ship is a pain in the ass too. As for other glitches, the only ones that come to mind are every now and then a guy will be floating above the ground, ether a little bit or like 20 feet, but as soon as he starts to animate it all goes back to normal. I also have had a funny one from time to time where when I load into a mission all of my guys will be in the generic model T pose with their guns floating in front of them. As above however, as soon as you animate them they get fixed.

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Seppli

@MrOldboy: @Gnorbooth: @crusader8463:

In 20 hours of play, I had none of that. I'm using a gamepad though, because it seems to me like much of your problems are related to how the mouse input is too jittery for how the game adapts the environments relative to the cursor's position in the environments.

As for the graphical bugs, could be any number of things, but most certainly lacking optimization for your specific hardware. I'm running a 5870 in my system, which was pretty much the gold standard DX11 card for over a year when DX11 first got introduced, and pretty much all games seem to get optimized pretty well for it.

Runs smooth as butter for me, and outside of the limited and wonky looking animations and clipping errors, it's pretty too. Shame to hear that the game hasn't been properly optimized across the board though. With how popular it seems to be, I doubt it'll take long before new drivers and patches fix things up.

*knocks on wood *

MrOldboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By MrOldboy

OK glad others are also having some bugs. Been searching if it was a driver issue or something. I think the game is just sort of broken in places.

I had to restart a mission because there was a glitch (or the game being really really unfair if it wasn't) where enemies that were behind solid walls of a ship, as in they were outside and I was in. No windows, no doors nothing. All of a sudden they somehow shoot through the walls and kill two of my soldiers. Meanwhile I cant target any of them even though I can see them through the wall outside about 5-6 tiles away. Was pretty far into that mission and I had captured a few aliens to get their weapons too.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#6  Edited By Dagbiker

@Seppli said:

@MrOldboy: @Gnorbooth: @crusader8463:

In 20 hours of play, I had none of that. I'm using a gamepad though, because it seems to me like much of your problems are related to how the mouse input is too jittery for how the game adapts the environments relative to the cursor's position in the environments.

As for the graphical bugs, could be any number of things, but most certainly lacking optimization for your specific hardware. I'm running a 5870 in my system, which was pretty much the gold standard DX11 card for over a year when DX11 first got introduced, and pretty much all games seem to get optimized pretty well for it.

Runs smooth as butter for me, and outside of the limited and wonky looking animations and clipping errors, it's pretty too. Shame to hear that the game hasn't been properly optimized across the board though. With how popular it seems to be, I doubt it'll take long before new drivers and patches fix things up.

*knocks on wood *

Same, I have had no problems, and also using a gamepad. I have a GTX 5-something.

StinkyPete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By StinkyPete

Steam tells me I've been playing this for 63 hours so far, (320 mins into my current session) and I've not had a single crash to desktop, or any flickering loops or disappearing texture issues mentioned here. I only came across this thread because my mate's been having trouble with his install, on his laptop, said it crashes 3 or 4 times a game for him.

The roof thing is annoying, but not unplayable when playing with a scrollwheel mouse (wheel switches levels), i've gotten so used to it, that its now only mildly annoying.

I'm using ATI 6670 (1st gen dx11.1) 1Gb single card graphics (Cat 12.8 drivers), Core 2 Duo E7400 (circa 2008), Windows 8 public preview 64-bit, 4gb ram.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
    deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

So.

I've had dudes teleporting into my group pretty often, but generally they don't attack on their turn for some reason. So I waste them.

I'm doing the final mission in the game. The final mission of the game. I'm outside the boss chamber, which is a single file hallway. I park my dudes in a nice little line and save it. Then I go for wings.

I come back, only one soldier can move past the door. At all. Even after he moves, everyone pretends there's some sort of block in the door that prevents them from going in. The one soldier can't even get out. This is how I've experienced the boss fight. With a single guy.

This is one of the all-time game breaking bugs I've ever seen. A game making it impossible to finish the game at the door to the final boss chamber. I'm almost wondering if it's intentional, the game punishing me for loading too many saves, like the Earthbound copy protection 'bug', or the one from Arkham Asylum.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By GERALTITUDE

On PC with KB+M. Lots of jitteriness with the pointer. In fact playing inside a two-storey building can be unbelievably frustrating (I often can't click any tiles adjacent to a wall; the game will instead select the tiles just outside the building). Other than that, no problems. Except this one time I pressed ESC too many times and the UI totally disappeared from the geoscape. When I returned I was about $200 in the hole, soooooo... Yeah.

Taefarinas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By Taefarinas

@StinkyPete: I also thought the janky roof thing wasn't a problem with a scrolling mouse, but as of today I can't get to any level other than roof for a downed UFO. My people are standing outside a door, and they can't go through - only onto the roof one story above. As a result, the mission is unplayable.

This edit will also create new pages on Giant Bomb for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Giant Bomb users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.