007: Nightfire is the second first person shooter video game published by Electronic Arts based on James Bond. The story follows James Bond as he tries to thwart the plan of Raphael Drake, a green industrialist who's ulterior motives are to take over the world. Founder of the Phoenix International Corporation, Raphael Drake has been entrusted with dismantling warheads throughout the world. Although these efforts are claimed to be philanthropic in nature, Intelligence suspects that Drake is organizing the theft of a secret component of the missile guidance hardware intended for the U.S. Space Weapons Platform. With the help from Q and other key agents, James Bond must travel to exotic locales, including under water and to space, in order to stop Drake before he succeeds in taking over the world.
Although Pierce Brosnan appears on the cover of the game, and the James Bond model bears his likeness, Bond is actually voiced by Maxwell Caulfield, who doesn't even make an attempt to sound like Brosnan.
- Zoe Nightshade - An old ally and rising CIA field agent. She has great driving skills and an extensive knowledge of vehicles.
- Alura McCall - An operative to MI6 agents based in Tokyo. She very adept with firearms, as she helps you deal with weapons throughout the game.
- Dominique Paradis - An undercover agent of the French Intelligence, she manages to infiltrate Drake's organization and help Bond from the inside.
- Raphael Drake - The main antagonist, Drake is a smart and cunning businessman whose goal is to blow up the earth.
- Armitage Rook - Raphael Drake’s head of security. A strong man of determined will, Armitage seems to be able to survive anything, as you’ll find that he “comes back from the dead” multiple times in the game.
- Alexander Mayhew - Overseer of Phoenix corp.’s Japanese holding and seems to have full knowledge of Drake’s plans.
- Makiko Hayashi - A fiercely loyal bodyguard to Alexander Mayhew. Makiko may be small, but is very skillful in the martial arts.
- Oddjob - In multiplayer, players can use Oddjob's hat as a one-shot kill attack, an advantage none of the other characters have. After the hat is used, it respawns in the player's inventory.
This game takes place in a first-person perspective. There are few exceptions where as the game takes place in a third-person perspective such as when the main character performs an action move or when he takes control of vehicles or remote controlled gadgets. James Bond must fight his way through various types of enemies using a variety of weapons and gadgets. Since the game takes place in modern era and takes a realistic approach, health does not regenerate. Therefore, James Bond must constantly be on the lookout for body armor, which reduces the damage taken during firefights. Similarly to James Bond video games in the past, you get to carry many weapons at once, including pistols, machine guns, explosives , and gadgets. Here is a list of weapons at your disposal throughout the game.
- Wolfram PP7 - This small, semi-automatic handgun is supremely accurate and can be fitted with a silencer for the utmost stealth.
- Golden PP7 - The Golden PP7 provides all the amenities of its predecessor with twice the power.
- Wolfram P2K - The Wolfram P2K is a very accurate weapon that can be equipped with a laser sight and removable silencer.
- Golden P2K - Just as reliable as the Wolfram P2K, the Golden P2K offers twice the firepower.
- Kowloon Type 40 - This reliable handgun can be set to fire three rounds with every pull of the trigger.
- Raptor Magnum - This heavy caliber handgun is a powerful ally. The clip size is low but some models come with a laser sight which makes them more accurate but takes a little longer to aim.
- Deutsche M9K - This very accurate submachine gun can be equipped with a silencer and is ideal for covert missions.
- Storm M9-32 - This reliable, lightweight machine gun has a large clip but low accuracy.
- Suisse SG5 Commando - This compact assault rifle has a high rate of fire, but can be switched to a more accurate 3-round burst. It also comes equipped with a telescopic sight.
- Advanced Individual Munitions System-20 (AIMS-20) - The AIMS-20 is an advanced military weapons system. It is fitted with a computerized telescopic sight and can be switched between a powerful rifle firing 3-round bursts or a fast-firing grenade launcher.
- Korsakov K5 Dart Gun - This weapon fires a dart capable of temporarily tranquilizing an opponent. Its capacity is five rounds.
- Frinesi Automatic 12 - This shotgun's larger capacity and higher rate of fire make it an effective combat weapon.
- Winter Tactical Sniper Rifle - This extremely powerful but slow firing weapon possesses a small clip and a massive zoom with telescopic sight.
- Winter Covert Sniper - The standard bolt-action issue of the British Army is fitted with an integral silencer and comes equipped with a powerful telescopic sight.
- Militek Mark 6 Multi Grenade Launcher - This semi-automatic grenade launcher fires explosive projectiles which can be set to explode on contact or after a time delay.
- AT-420 Sentinel - The warheads on this portable missile launcher can breach tank armor. It can be fired either camera-guided or unguided.
- AT400 Scorpion - This missile launcher can eject rapid-fire missiles without any guidance or fire single heat-seeking missiles which track their target automatically. Use these against large slow-moving targets like vehicles.
- Delta Repeater Crossbow - A magazine-fed, pump action crossbow with a telescopic sight, the Delta Repeater Crossbow is totally silent and highly damaging, but takes some skill to use at range.
- Phoenix Samurai Laser Rifle - Each shot from this experimental weapon generates a great amount of heat and requires a cooling time. Alternate fire mode is a single shot which takes time to charge up and instantly overheats the weapon but does massive damage.
- Fragmentation Grenade - This explosive grenade injures anyone within its blast radius.
- Smoke Grenade - The smoke grenade produces a cloud of smoke that upsets enemy aim and cloaks movement.
- Flash Bang Grenade - The grenade temporarily blinds and stuns opponents.
- Satchel Charge - This plastic explosive can be placed on an object and detonates on a timer.
- Remote Mine - The remote mine sticks to any surface and can be detonated from a safe distance.
- Laser Trip Bomb - This laser-activated bomb explodes when someone crosses its beam. Shooting these bombs causes them to explode.
- Key Fob Stunner - Your car keys have been altered into an electric stunner. This device holds a small charge that can temporarily immobilize an enemy at close range. Use it wisely-it must recharge after each use.
- Wristwatch Laser - Your watch has been fitted with a small focused laser. It's not very effective against enemies, but it-ll do the trick on locks and wires.
- Grapple - Q has converted your cell phone into a personal grappling hook. Aim it at a suitable surface and fire-it should carry you right to your target.
- Micro Camera - Compact and discreetly disguised as a lighter, the Micro Camera takes pictures very quickly. You can also use it as a telescopic device for pure surveillance.
- Vision Enhancement Glasses - These glasses enhance ambient light and have thermal-imaging capabilities for viewing in near-infrared light or through thin surfaces.
- Q-Worm - Uploading this program into a computer allows Q-Branch to remotely access encrypted data on a target system.
- Decryptor - Disguised as a common palmtop computer, this sophisticated micro-computer allows you to bypass electronic locks.
- Phoenix Ronin - Created by Phoenix, the Ronin is a rapid-fire auto cannon disguised as a suitcase. Once deployed, it automatically detects and fires at any movement in front of it. Pressing Fire again will allow you to remotely control the gun yourself..
- Shaver Grenade - This shaver can be used as a remote-detonated flash bang grenade.
The campaign consists of 12 globe-spanning missions. The campaign offers a variety of play styles through which James Bond must outsmart and maneuver by completing specific objectives to successfully complete missions. Overall, the campaign offers action-packed missions, stealth scenarios and vehicular combat sequences.
- Paris Prelude - Agent Dominique Paradis has gotten herself into a bit of a jam. It seems that she's being pursued by the organization who stole a warhead from the Phoenix International Corporation. Take a helicopter to Paris and rescue her. Then use your Aston Martin V12 Vanquish to finish the job.
- The Exchange - A vital piece of missile guidance hardware has been stolen from a secret U.S. government lab in Japan. MI6 has received information that Raphael Drake is connected. We'd like you to attend a VIP party Drake is hosting at his castle in the French Alps-enter the grounds and see if you can find the missing links.
- Alpine Escape - Use one of Drake's modified snowmobiles to escape his Castle. The mounted machine gun/rocket launcher may be useful in fending off any unwanted pursuers.
- Enemies Vanquished - Continue your mission in Q's specially modified Aston-Martin V12 Vanquish. This beauty comes fully-loaded with an arsenal of high-tech weapons and gadgets. Remember not to harm the local Austrian police, though-they're on the good side.
- Double Cross - Alexander Mayhew, Drake's trusted partner turned informant, has requested your protection at his Tokyo estate. Mayhew possesses extremely sensitive files that cannot fall into the hands of Drake's Yakuza thugs. Escort Mayhew to the safety of his underground bunker and locate the files. The Yakuza are notorious for taking hostages. Be sure that Mayhew's employees remain unharmed, then secure the files and escape with Mayhew.
- Night Shift - Make a covert infiltration into the headquarters of Mayhew's Japanese operations in Tokyo. Use your various Q-gadgets to locate and unlock encrypted files on Operation NightFire, and then make your escape from the building rooftop.
- Chain Reaction - Mayhew's "Operation NightFire" file has led us to a decommissioned nuclear power plant on the Honshu coast. Enter and explore the power plant while avoiding detection by the armed guards. Penetrate the most secret areas of the plant and discover what's really happening in the decommissioning process.
- Phoenix Fire - Through an unexpected turn of events, you've been delivered into the hands of Raphael Drake. Stay sharp to exploit every little advantage that presents itself and battle your way out of this situation. Be on the lookout for Drake's Black Ops team - their tenacity is well-honed.
- Deep Descent - Infiltrate Drake's remote island base. This will be a good opportunity for you to test out Q's latest innovation with the Aston Martin. Watch out for Drake's submerged patrols.
- Island Infiltration - Destroy the air defense system that protects the island from attack. Take advantage of any of Drake's vehicles on the island.
- Countdown - Advance through Drake's fortified base to reach the shuttle launch area. Prevent Drake's henchmen from following him into space. And do be cautious of the space shuttle's main engines-they tend to get a bit warm.
- Equinox - The fate of the world is once again in your hands, 007. It seems that Drake has converted the International Missile Defense Platform into his own weapon to dominate the world. It's time to put an end to Drake's evil schemes.
Multiplayer modes include free-for-all and team deathmatch, territory control and assassination. Like many earlier Bond games, players can choose from a variety of themed weapon sets. In addition, matches may be played involving remote-controllable robotic vehicles or turrets.
- James Bond
- Dominique Paradise
- Alura McCall
- Raphael Drake
- Makiko Hayashi
- Armitage Rook
- Snow Guard
- Black Ops
- Phoenix Commando
- Renard - Platinum Medal on Paris Prelude
- Jaws - Silver Medal on Paris Prelude
- Baron Samedi - Platinum Medal on The Exchange
- Oddjob - Silver Medal on The Exchange
- Max Zorin - Platinum Medal on Alpine Escape
- May Day - Platinum Medal on Enemies Vanquished
- Francisco Scaramanga - Silver Medal on Enemies Vanquished
- Xenia Onatopp - Platinum Medal on Double Cross
- Christmas Jones - Platinum Medal on Night Shift
- Auric Goldfinger - Platinum Medal on Chain Reaction
- Wai Lin - Silver Medal on Chain Reaction
- Raphael Drake's Suit Look - Platinum Medal on Phoenix Fire
- Electra King - Platinum Medal on Deep Descent
- Nick Nack - Silver Medal on Deep Descent
- James Bond's Tuxedo Look - Platinum Medal on Island Infiltration
- Pussy Galore - Platinum Medal on Countdown
- James Bond's Spacesuit Look - Platinum Medal on Equinox
- Fort Knox
- Snow Blind
- Phoenix Base
- Missile Silo
- Sub Pen
The game received mixed reviews, scoring in the high 70s on average across console platforms but significantly lower on the PC, coming in at the low 60s on average.
Minimum System Requirements
Processor: Pentium 3 - 500MHz or equivalent
Memory:128 MB RAM
Optical Drive: 8X CD-ROM
Hard Drive Space: 675 MB
DirectX: DirectX v8.1
Recommended System Requirements
Processor: Pentium 3 - 1GHz or equivalent
Memory: 256 MB RAM
CD-ROM: 6X CD-ROM
Hard Drive Space: 1.4GB